Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

SBRS Theory and Application

Lance's SBRS Training Manual

a part of “SBRS Theory and Application”, a fictional universe by LRW.

We are a group of Theorists of the Application of Speed Based Roleplaying Styles. Thinking about the new rules and settings for this style, hope to meet you soon and get some new rules or theories started!

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “SBRS Theory and Application”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Lance's SBRS Training Manual

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LRW on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:34 pm

This is one of my many student's training Manuel for SBRS.
'In time Lance, your name shall spread around as either a fighter, or a washed up slob. Now go, and get out there.' - Vasheen

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LRW
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Lance's SBRS Training Manual

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LRW on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:47 pm

Chapter One - FT2

Fistogan's Technique Two is a very difficult style to master, but it is something I have developed to improve the speed of which you type, but also the clarity of how you type in T2. It was never meant to be a fighting style, but merely a training style.

'Targeting' is when aiming a certain attack at an opponent. This will be your fist post, aiming the weapon to where it is going to attack. Not cocking back a gun, not pulling back your fist, but aiming the attack. This helps with preparations in many other styles and formats of T2, allowing you to adjust to those.

'Attempting' is the sending of the attack, but not the hitting of the attack. The fist accelerating at the end point, but not hitting it. A to point B, but not to C yet. B being where the opponent is able or not able to dodge the incoming attack. A being your attack, and B the traveling of the fist.

'Connecting' is where your attack lands. You must state how it damages the opponent or not damages the opponent. If I point B the opponent does happen to dodge, the attack is null and void.

There are no preparations in FT2, this is simply a training style to develop speed and accuracy, since there are no typos allowed. If two opponents do happen to train in it, or you are training alone, the dodges are quite difficult too.

'Preparing to Dodge' has to be after the targeting phase of the opponent, which I guess is Zero. 0-B.5 I guess we can call this phase. You will see the man starting to 'Target' his hand to your chest, so you must be ready to 'Connect the Dodge' when he 'Attempts' his attack.

'Connecting the Dodge' is after you 'Prepare the Dodge', and after the opponent launches an 'Attempt'. So you step to the side, or move to the side of the opponent's fist or weapon.

Why the difficult style? Now the best way to lift 450 pounds is to try and lift 500 pounds. The steadily advanced FT2 will allow your fingers to think of regular T2 as mud, instead of concrete. This is a difficult style, and not for the faint of heart. But I promise you this styles are worth it.

Training in this style at least once a day, for about 50 posts, will help not only develop your T1 style, but also increase your fighting speed and mental quickness. It is noted that many people cannot handle the rules of this style, but I promise you, it will help.
Last edited by LRW on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LRW
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LRW on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Chapter 2 - Preparations / Shields / Summons / Transformations

Summons are a vital asset to any Mage or Wizard. Summoning out a monster to help fight is very difficult though and not all times call for such an adventure. In melee combat, these things should not be used, especially if you cannot seem to get it out in time for each post. Move out of range and then send your dog/wolf/demon/malificar out at them.

When using Summons, have special attacks and remember what you are using. A wolf is not going to come out form the heavens and claw them to death. They are going to bite, and rip out flesh, slowly wearing down your opponent while you sit back and hit some damaging preparation attacks.

It takes one preparation to pull out a summon, a shield, or any type of magic. And it is noted that these after the first prep, each additional prep is added damage! But it does take one prep, an attempt and a hit to kill a summon, so remember to have back ups if you really do need them.

If you are not a wizard or a mage, and you are a hunter. A wolf would be nice to have? Whistle preps could call upon your wolf to aid you in battle, or have something simply to use if you die to drag your body away.

Shields can either be a movable SPECIFIC magic or element shield, or a defense against a certain weapon shield. These take one prep to take out, but you cannot move from range when you have them out, or attack without a preparation! They are usually used when you are fighting against a magic user who really knows what he is doing. Hindering an opponent from attacks is nice, but remember you cannot attack, but you can still dodge/block.

Transformations are deadly in almost every aspect. After three preparations of increase your strength, you are able to destroy limbs, break bones, weapons, armor and about anything after a transformation connects. Also a prepared attack is two points, instead of having to prep twice for added damage.

There is really no bad things about transformations, except that they are very, very hard to pull off.

A single Preparation is able to break shields, break weapons, break armor, break bones, and create many different types of almost about anything. Very hard to pull off if you are in range of the opponent, but if you can hit one off, you get an advantage in the heat of battle.

LRW
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LRW on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Chapter 3 - Muscle Memory

Mastering each Technique is important to any fighting practitioner.

Like lightning, wakizashi, revolver, chain, and force attacks. Train often, many times a week in each of these weapons and magic attacks.

While training with others, perfect your attacks, constantly move from range and angled attacks to maximize the effectiveness of each weapon/magic.

Martial Arts should only be used when your armor is broken, your weapon is either destroyed/broken/unequipped and your magic has been nulled. These weapons are your friends, and the more complicated an attack is, such as auras, blood magic, metabolic alchemy, space time reconfiguration, and arcane.

Some people are naturally born to speed fight, they have abilities to destroy people and never lose their speed. Because of muscle memory training. Fistogan Technique Two is a great way to allow your mind to shift through attacks, dodges, attempts, and so fourth.

Remember that everything on your body is a weapon, shoulders, boots, fingers, forehead, even your hip if used properly. And if you are wearing armor, make sure to equip some spikes on those parts, or some kind of magic mechanism.

Now lets get back to Muscle Memory Training.

The longer the post, the more words your fingers will start to memorize. This is how I am able to bust out words like wakizashi and masamune so quickly. Not to boast, but people have much difficulty with blocking some of my techniques. Especially the red lightning, because people are so used to just typing out 'lightning' but actually, they would have to say 'red lightning.'

Using many different techniques will also allow your brain to able to adjust quickly to new attacks from opponents, so use many weapons, many magics, many different types of powers.

Everyone is repetitive from time to time, even the best of the dictionary.com people do it. It is not bad to use a word from a previous post, and remember all techniques are just repeats of the same technique.

One you master a given technique, move onto another one and another one. Allow yourself to become immersed in many different types of styles, formats, and hundreds of different attacks. So when the time comes and you need to defend against an attack, you will be able to do so quickly and efficiently.

There is a difference though from muscle memory training, and simply destroying your hands. We will go into over-training in another chapter, but before then, train, but do not destroy your poor fingers.

LRW
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LRW on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 pm

Chapter Four - Weapons Training

Weapons like wakizashi, spear, shield, and others are hard to type by an opponent, especially in this day in age.

A lot of fighters are molded on a Martial Artists / Street Fighter type of style. Which makes them used to blocking legs, arms, fists, and heads. Not a wakizashi or spear.

Blades are hard to use even by my standards, and blocking them are even harder. Zen-pok-toes are even harder to block, because first off how to block them are difficult, but the word itself is harder to type.

Training with a weapon should first be by the weapon user, which weapon they choose, and how they wield it. Lance uses as style in which is blade is always at his side, kinda like how Sephiroth fights, but he uses as wakizashi, so he has to move forward or dash at his opponent to cut him; a.k.a getting in close.

Spears on the other hand, can be used as a long range weapon, either by throwing them or just sending them into the persons long range .. well .. range!

A style should always be presented in each move, either by placing the weapon back in front of you after each strike, or like me, at my side.

; He brought his wakizashi from the wound of his opponent back down to his right flank. ;

Or you should use multiple sides and placed of the blade as a weapon.

; Stepping forward, his blade would attempt to sink deeper into the wound as his hilt pressed forward, towards the stomach region of his opponent. ;

Knight's in the past used every inch of their blade as a weapon, and their entire body as one too. Shoulder-guards, forearm-guards, shin-guards, each was a weapon too.

Like myself, I use my gauntlet as a weapon, alongside my wakizashi. And sometimes we can use duel wielding also.

Duel-Wielding takes a lot of preps, two, but still can keep you from destroying an opponent. In a few months there should be new rules on Duel Wielding. Meaning that if a strike with my wakizashi, I can also strike with my masamune at the same time. And if one is blocked, the other needs to be blocked too.

But if you cannot strike in your set of rules, or the rules presented by your opponent, you can send one after another each post, using one to block, and the other to counter with, which is a perfect tactic for someone who can use both weapons in each post very well.

Stance Training

Each stance should be to defend against certain attacks, but also be used to fight against certain opponents. If you are using a long range weapon, than allow yourself to be always a few feet away from them, so open stances with legs spread wide so you can easily shift back.

But if you have a smaller weapon, legs close together so you can easily switch back and fourth from defensive and offensive positions.

Remember to do damage upon an opponent, and if you are using a smashing weapon, keep your stances strong, using the upper body, just do not swing it with one arm, your character is probably not even that strong to do it.

Power is always in the wrists and waist, so if an opponent thinks that the attack cannot hurt him that way, remember to step up a notch when you do use wrist motions and waist motions in your attacks ( I do it, watch my attacks that do ).

Attacking Stances

If you are a medium blade user, such as a claymore or a broadsword, than slash in arch patterns, and try not to stab the end first. This will keep the RP a little more realistic, and remember to use two hands.

If you are using a thrusting weapon, remember to thrust a lot. A shield and spear will take down any type of weaponed opponent, especially if you are armored. Paladins are some of the vicious fighters if they know how to use them well.

And for the short weapon users, go in close, and remember that if you are out of long range, get in the damn range or throw the fuckin' thing. I am stick of people not describing getting in close when they have a dagger and somehow hitting me. xD

And remember to say that you pulled back your weapon, this will allow yourself to describe more in your post without looking like a bunch of fillers.

LRW
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LRW on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Chapter 6 - Hand to Hand Combat

You may have taken the path of a martial artist, or want to get used to blocking certain martial artist attacks.

I like giving abstract examples of what I am talking about.

Lance
Swinging his right hand down to the ground, he pushed all of his weight onto that as he went to the side. Snapping out his left foot, it shot across the wind plane to Auron's ankle.

Auron
He leaped upwards, at first bringing his knees onto the ground and leaping up from the bottom of his feet. As he descended through the air, he accumulated speed on his descent.

Lance
As his elbow buckled, he rolled to the right side of Auron's structure.

Now, as you saw I was able to move away from Auron, because he could have used that speed that he gained from falling to send a fist. Now either Auron could fall onto his face, or do some complex movements into the air to fall onto his feet and strike at me.

This looks like T1, but it is not, this is true speed fighting. Moving constantly, or standing still ( Kenshin vs his master ).

A moving target, and one that stands at a still. There are some fighters, like Fistogan that constantly countered everything.

Lance
Did the same attack as he did on Auron, but to Fistogan.

Fistogan
She bent her right knee quickly, sending it out to not only block the left foot, but to also strike it.

Now she was able to block, but also strike, since the knee is far superior bone density than a foot. Also she is able to generate more force, since she is standing straight.

There are many aspects to speed fighting that people do not realize could be implemented.

When I go into armor, I will go into greater detail about what can be used as a block and what cannot.

But do take in effect what limb is stronger than the other. An elbow will generate more power but a fist will be faster.

Also, if you look at Lance's sweep, it will not generate too much speed. Let's say though that he did not do that move, but this one.

Lance
He shifted his left hip forward, turning his sinistral shoulder out as he brought his fist out towards the head of Fistogan.

Fistogan
She brought her right forearm out, sending her palm facing up to be placed on the elbow of Lance as she stepped to the left.

Now Lance could either go with his attack, but remember he turned his hip, so if Fistogan did not pull him forward he could just easily pull it back and send another attack.

If she countered with a knee, he would have to retract his left fist and HAVE to use his right arm to block the knee.

Then if Lance did go with the attack, he would be at an even a more disadvantage, because his back would be toward her, leaving his side also open.

These things NEED to be implemented into fighting. Right and left; meaning the difference in everything.

Now, lets get to training shall we?

To train in Hand to Hand combat on your own you will need a dummy, and be good with angles. Angles are one of the best things to use in RP combat, because you could easily overwhelm an opponent with movements, even if you do not attack!

Step right and left angles, moving to each side of the opponent. This will open his sides up for attack, and unless he can do a nice roundhouse from that side, he cannot hit you very well without having to turn.

Moving from melee range is fun too, especially when you can AAA. And if their is no magic, you can stand outside of his melee range and gather up strength for an attack.

Learn to counter quickly, forearms are easy to type and allow yourself to use one appendage as the other goes for the strike.

LRW
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LRW on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Chapter 5 - Words of Description

In some fighting styles and people preference, the amount of letters per post is very small. But does this hinder description?

; His hand would fire to Auron's stomach. ;

; The hand shot into Auron's stomach and bent him over. ;

Now those are perfect sentences of what happened, structure is good ( Not perfect ) but gets the point across with minor description with smaller number of letters per post.

Lets see what happens in a longer post.

; His left foot out in front of his form, as his left hand would jab towards the head of Auron. ;

; As his foot would step out in front of his form, the hand shot through the air and into the head of Auron, firing the cranium backwards with ease. ;

I think that does describe the attempt and the connect perfectly well. Allowing just enough room for some description with smaller amount of letters than a description, longer word post.

It is the redundancy of some posts that do kill T2 in both short versions and longer versions.

We usually think of larger letters per post as a more descriptive post on what is happening before and after a connections or an attempt. But sometimes, with more words, it becomes redundant and unreadable.

; Shifting his left hand forward, the trajectory of his waistline would rotate outwards to the left as his sinistral appendage brought fourth his fist towards the cranium of Auron. ;

; Through the plane of wind, the sinistral hand laveraged from his elbow, ascending deep into the outer structures of Auron's skin till it impacted and cracked the bone underneath. ;

I see that the sentence is descriptive, and gets the job done. The flaw in the post though is that there is too many letters to be typed, and gets redundant, because with each post needs more words, and more words means that the brain needs to remember the description of each word before use of said word.

Making the post slower, but that is not correct for everyone. The best way for a fighter to get better will be explained in another post, but I think this will shed light on what needs to be done -

Balance Theory

I believe that each post should be balanced with descriptive words but also with words that make the post look, feel, and sound better on the tongue and mind.

Sometimes we put too much emphasis on description and not enough emphasis on the aspect of actually sounding correct. T1rs put too much on deceptive writing, and switching over to T2 they tend to bring that with them.

This game, this way of fighting is about having fun. It is speed, not who can bust out the best and most descriptive writing. Everyone has their own style, and changing this said style will destroy it.

Beauty is not in the words, but how the words form together. If everyone fought the same, than the beauty is taken away from T2 and replaced with a over-used, and let me say again; redundant shadow of its former self.

LRW
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!