Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Guards of Raygin

Guards

a part of “Guards of Raygin”, a fictional universe by PJammaz.

The city of Raygin has been living peacefully for generations, but when some political turmoil causes a regime change, crime in the city skyrockets. The Tribunal calls for some citizens to volunteer to be part of the new city guard.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Guards of Raygin”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] Guards

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:53 pm

lolz @ elloit punishing his character for his own shortcomings

Dont worry Zag, I will save you.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

zhill
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jenzlynn08 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 am

I am a bit confused about which of the wraiths are alive and which are dead. PJammaz had a good idea, for us to number all the wraiths in order for us to keep track of which ones are alive and which ones are dead while we are out of character. They could be numbered in the order that we came upon them in the roleplay. The way I see them is this:

1- the one Kerix/Shindo were fighting (thought to be killed but escaped)
2- the one I was fighting, then Saber took over (crushed to death)
3- the one Kerix and Zag are fighting (almost decapitated)
4- the one that has not been fought yet (still alive)
5- the one Samuel was fighting (crushed to death)
6- the one Ogava was fighting (decapitated)
7- the one Samuel/Ogava are fighting (still alive)

I just wanted to clarify all this before making my next post. Let me know if anything seems out of place. Thanks.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

jenzlynn08
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:25 am

That numbering seems right to me, since there were two groups of three and then the one me and shindo encountered. Im a litle bit fuzzier on Samuel's group, but it all seems right.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DJ-Champion on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:57 am

Hey guys, i'm leaving on vacation, will not be back till early friday. Sorry :( but I don't think my character is really a major link anyways. If anyone needs to use him it's all good, just base the post of his character info and don't have him die or anything like that :P see you guys.

DJ-Champion
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PJammaz on Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 pm

I just posted, so that should clear up most of any questions surrounding the wraiths at the moment.

PJammaz
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jenzlynn08 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Hey guys, I will be out of town for a few days, so I may not be able to post until probably Monday.

jenzlynn08
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Jenz can you post some activity in the fight we are in? Zag and I are taking out wraith #2, but that still leaves one on you and the tiger.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:34 am

Just wanted to say that PJ and I figured out what the shipment is (referring to the shipment that Glagonar is having brought in). Its actually a tie-in to the sequel "heroes of Raygin" although that may not be the final title.

In short, the item is called a "sentinel stone" and it is used to summon a creature that is basically pure magic. Its an ancient race of beings that spend most of their time existing as a corporate entity which is actually the energy of the universe and the power which is more commonly referred to as magic. Im going to make an edit or two to the material I put together, but then I am going to post it here just so everyone is familiar with what Sentinels are (seeing as how PJ has decided to include them into his world bestiary. I will likely play the part of the sentinel in this RP at some point, but I imagine it will be towards the end and its will really be as more of an NPC basis.

I will try to have that info up here by tomorrow at the latest.

Thanks.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Thanks for killing yours Jenz. There is still the one I am trying to hold at bay though. I was pretty much waiting for zag to make the kill shot. If he doesnt post soon I will try to figure out a way to end it.

Thanks

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby elloit on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:33 am

It's dead, it's dead! The beast is dead! :P
Sorry for making you wait zhill, but I wanted to see what Jenz did first.
Should a machine not function upon striking the panel marked 'on' this is an omen of great ill. The operator must repeat the ritual from the beginning re-purifying himself, enscribing the runes, intoning the incantations, and again striking the panel marked 'on'. Should this procedure fail, the operator must recourse to consulting the instruction manual...

elloit
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby martland redbeard on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:48 am

What about the thing we discussed a couple of weeks ago, Zhill, about the shipment being brought in to be used by Raegus as part of his plan? He could be trying to raise a sentinel to destroy the Tribunal, etc.

martland redbeard
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:55 pm

HOORAY FOR ZAG! Man am I glad thats over with.

Sorry about the delay. I will post info about sentinel's very shortly.

Thanks

PS - Martland that was the idea we had in mind.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

[WARNING: THIS IS LONG]

PJ you might want to give this a skim as I made slight adjustments which will affect some of the basic aspects of the Sentinel. I haven't decided what the source material for this Sentinel will be yet, but I will post it here when I decide (since the Sentinel who is the NPC in this RP is my character in the sequel RP).

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sentinels

Though considered to be as mythical and even possibly imaginary as dragons are, Sentinels are as old as the energy that makes up the fabric of time, matter and space, being created shortly afterwards. What ever their original purpose was has been lost through time, yet they still exist as a force of good and also to maintain balance in the universe by being, on rare occasions, awakened to aid the created beings.

A Sentinel is quite literally made up of the energy of the universe from which they came, as all Sentinels which are not on the earth in some form exist in an amalgamated being of spirit and energy that shares one universal mind. This being is the very energy that is commonly referred to as "magic" and the force by which all things magical can take place. Each Sentinel is gathered to the earth for 100 years to fulfill a potential term of service, and this occurs on a rotating basis so that all Sentinels are either awaiting summoning to the earth, awaiting the beginning of the term of their service on the earth, serving their given task, or recently returned to the state of the amalgamated being they refer to as "Oni", which is an ancient word meaning "one mind".

When it is the turn of any given Sentinel comes up, they are sent to the earth in the form of a rare gem identified by the created beings as a "Sentinel stone". They sleep in this state for 100 years awaiting summoning and, if not summoned, return to Oni when the stone returns to Oni in the form of primal energy.

The process involved in summoning a Sentinel includes a lengthy and ritual in which the sentinel stone and a source material are placed in the center of intricate glyphs, symbols, and other specific drawings of magic. The source material, whether it is stone, wood, ice, a human body, etc., is what the sentinel will use to create the body it will occupy during its term of service. The body will appear to be the same type of humanoid as that of the summoner who finishes the incantation by adding a cup of their own blood. The final step of the process is the issuing of a command.

When the command is given and the Sentinel is awakened, they are under the burden of completing the given task. However, summoning a Sentinel means summoning an independent being which is free to complete the task as they see fit and according to their own interpretation. Failure to complete the command results in the body immediately deteriorating, and the Sentinel stone, which rests in their forehead between the eyes, returning to Oni as primal energies releasing the Sentinel to its former state. A Sentinel will always have the option to refuse a task that it considers to be evil. In such a case, a Sentinel will return to Oni for a very short period of time before being sent back to the earth to sleep for another 100 years.

If a sentinel is given any task they consider worthy, it will relentlessly pursue completion of a suitable task and treat it as priority over all else. When the task has been completed, the Sentinel is released from service and allowed to return to Oni. Return to Oni, whether through success or failure, is accomplished by instant disintegration of the body and the Sentinel stone returning to primal energy. Being independent creatures, a Sentinel may also choose, upon completion of the task, to remain in physical form for as long as they like, although they are still bound to act in such a way as to maintain the universal balance. A Sentinel who chooses to remain in physical form could be forcefully summoned back to Oni, but this occurs only in such cases where it acts in such a way as to upset the balance. Being creatures of magic, they are ageless and could remain in physical form until the end of time or until there is no physical world left.

A Sentinel can often exist for thousands of years between terms in Oni sharing one mind with all other Sentinels not in physical form. Because of this, when they are awakened a Sentinel is aware of only its identity and the strong sense of loss from being separate from Oni. Any other knowledge or memories are wiped in the process.

Racial abilities:
* A Sentinel will take on the properties of its source material in creating its body making them similar to a golem. In addition, if the source material is the corpse of a living thing, the Sentinel will take on all of its innate abilities (for example: water breathing if the creature was amphibious, night vision if it was an elf or animal with similar vision). It can not assume affinities (such as the enhanced elven skill with bows) but only that which is intrinsically part of the source material.
* Being magic, a Sentinel is the most attuned creature to the use of magic. However, each Sentinel must explore and understand its usage from the moment of its awakening as though it knew nothing of magic. Although each Sentinel has great power from "birth", the only knowledge or abilities possessed at the point of awakening will be those that directly relate to the task given for completion. It is through these abilities that a sentinel may then explore and develop a further understanding of the functional nature of magic. This usually does not occur as each Sentinel applies themselves diligently to the task so that they may return to Oni that much sooner. If a Sentinel chooses to remain beyond completion of their task, their knowledge of the function of magic would increase exponentially due to their complete affinity with the primal energy.
* All Sentinels from the moment of awakening possess the knowledge and ability to "heal" their physical form through the use of magic and implementation of additional source material. A new source material can be incorporated into the physical form if the Sentinel is injured (example: using sand to rebuild a severed limb), however the parts formed with the new material will be very temporary and eventually lose their bond and return to their natural state.
* While a Sentinel is as fragile as the source material used to form its body, they may only be killed in one way: destruction of the Sentinel stone. This means that if the source material was a human body, the Sentinel could literally bleed to death yet still remain alive through the power of the intact Sentinel stone. In such cases, the physical body loses its attributes as it normally would (i.e. a bloodless body begins to harden with rigor mortis) but any damage incurred can be "healed" through the use of the Sentinel's magic so long as the stone remains undamaged. Destruction of the Sentinel stone, which would kill the physical form, releases the Sentinel to Oni as though they had failed their task.

Quirks:
* A Sentinel will never use any type of physical defense or offense if engaged in a confrontation, and will always use magic to accomplish their goal or simply allow themselves to be assaulted.
* A Sentinel is incapable of lying, stealing, or harming innocents, and will not engage in any conflict that is not directly associated with their given task. Once a Sentinel has completed its task, it has a measure of additional freedom to choose which conflicts to engage in but will still abstain if they think their involvement is unnecessary.
* A Sentinel can not sleep unless the physical body is rendered unconscious (at which point the Sentinel would still be awake in the Sentinel stone as it conducted repairs to restore consciousness). While they have the ability to eat and drink, a Sentinel will not engage in such activities while under the burden of a task, replenishing their energy with magic or with the infusing of additional source material. After completing the task, a Sentinel may choose to partake of food or drink but would still regard such a thing as frivolous.
* A Sentinel has no personal motivation or ambition of any kind while under the burden of a task, with the only exception being the manner in which they choose to seek out understanding of the functionality of magic. Once released from the task, they would be free follow personal pursuits but still be bound to act in accordance with the universal balance.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:41 pm

Ok, I am going to say that the source material for this Sentinel is Mithril.

By the time it crosses over from this RP to the "Heroes of Raygin" RP, a few things will be true:
1) It will have been awakened by whoever does the ritual and given its task (see below)
2) It will have completed its task (so whoever is going to take charge of doing this ritual, please no "destroy the city" or other type things that would cause the sentinel to default fail, or tasks that would be so hugely bad that #3 is not realistically possible
3) Having completed its task, it has chosen to remain in physical form and has been approached by the Tribune about seeing to the health and safety of the group in "Heroes of Raygin" (this wouldnt occur if it were considered an evil monstrosity that simply must be destroyed).

I know that I am asking for a bit, introducing a cross-over character, but since I said he does complete his task that does make it fair. I am assuming that Lord Raegus is going to be the one doing the ritual (perhaps you manage to secure the stone before the Guard can get to it, leaving them only to find an empty crate and workers who knew what the item looked like but not what it was). This means that Lord Raegus would be basically guaranteed success of one act of evil (see #2 and #3 above please). Also, once the task has been completed I am going to remove him from the RP so that he will no longer be a factor in it.

Thanks
EDIT:
Two other notes about sentinels:
1) they are genderless
2) A sentinel stone varies in shape and color (but not size as all are about the size of a golf ball), and it can only be perceived as different from a regular gem by magic detection

PS - Martland you can see this link for the character that the Sentinel will become basically.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby martland redbeard on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:46 am

Hey guys, I really like the Sentinel idea and what this is becoming, but can I ask for some creative control over the concept? If it's ok, I will acquire the stone, altho there should be some confrontation with the guard and they should try and stop me. About the stone being mithril, that material is a little over used in fantasy now :/ It would be interesting if the stone were something less flashy, just like a smooth, egg-shaped rock or, if it was larger, maybe a stone cocoon the size of a sofa? Just an idea, im cool with anything really.

And PJ, can I add Silas to the character list and play him? I just want to use him more, and think he's an interesting character.

PS. The Sentinel sounds like a very moral being, if Raegus were to use him then he'd need to find a way to twist him. I've an idea, but i'd rather not shout it ;p better as a suprise.

Please get back soon :)

martland redbeard
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zhill on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Martland the stone isnt mithril, the source material is. In the sentinel description I mentioned that the stone, when awakened, grows a body from whatever source material is provided. I chose mithril in this case because the sentinel is the character I am playing in "heroes of raygin".

However, since this is a separate RP, I suppose we could do whatever with the sentinel and just say that "Heroes" is a different version of how things turned out.

zhill
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby martland redbeard on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Ok misunderstood there ;p

Well, just did a post their commetning on the wraith attacks and sending my lot in to receive the shipment.

Named the captain of the cargo ship Cpatain Barlabus, jsut because I thought a name should be thrown in there.

martland redbeard
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PJammaz on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:44 pm

Hey, Martland, I know that this is bad timing, but there is no water really near Raygin. I suppose there could be a river, but the ocean is very far away. I posted a map on the first page of the OOC if you would like to see it.

PJammaz
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby martland redbeard on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:16 pm

Oh ok....Could there be a river? Like a fairly big one that leads all the way out to sea? Just so that last post isnt totally contradicting everything ;p

martland redbeard
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PJammaz on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Yeah, that is fine. What district would you like it to be in?

PJammaz
Member for 14 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!