Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Dead Space

Dead Space

a part of “Dead Space”, a fictional universe by IIIusion.

"What the fuck?" "Is that the crew?" "They won't go down!" "Shoot it, SHOOT IT!"

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Dead Space”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Dead Space

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IIIusion on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Excerpt from last game:
Leon Hotchkiss tries and successfully opens the locked door in front of the main lobby using the control panel.

Leon Hotchkiss obtains a powernode!
Leon Hotchkiss obtains a powernode!
Alessa Gillespie obtains a powernode!

As the company backtracked and the majority of the soldiers turned right to get off the ship, they were greeted at the entrance by unfamiliar personnel. At least thirty or so individuals, standing on the ramp to get on the ship. Through the still relatively dark area, only their silhouettes were visible. Their visible silhouettes were all that was needed to stop twenty five men who were thought to had "seen it all" at one point or another.

"What the fuck?"
"Is that the crew?"

In unison the mob of figures broke away from each other and began attacking the company. The best of the EDF fared..Much better than is to be expected.

"They won't go down!"
"Shoot it, SHOOT IT!"

Dead Space

~Story~

The USG Bloodstone, a city sized vessel, drifted silently through space, its interior devoid of all life. In its service, the station had been used as a prison to keep the “scum” of society away. The rapist, the murderers, anyone who we judged to threaten our little society. The plan was definitely sound. Convicts couldn’t break out of space, and they could still be made to work while there. It was what the Earth Defense Force(EDF) fed everyone, and we gladly ate it up, content to return to our own blissful ignorance.

In truth, the USG Bloodstone was a ship used to house a newly discovered Marker, objects of alien origin capable of feats not yet understood by humanity.

--
Markers are objects of alien origin, capable of feats not yet understood by humanity, such as resurrecting dead tissue within a certain proximity of the given marker. This "necro" tissue would suffer mutations, and be capable of movement on its own. In addition, it would be hostile to any other lifeforms not resurrected by the marker.

The EDF had long since been researching a way of reverse-engineering Marker reanimation capabilities. They wanted to find a way to resurrect dead tissue, without the unwanted mutations nor unwarranted hostility.

Because the very nature of Markers seemed hostile, with them landing on planets, and essentially initiating genocide once enough natural deaths occurred, the EDF deemed it too dangerous to be studied on a planet.

So what better place to do it than a supposed prison station? It was spaceborne and safely from Earth and any of her colonies, and came with testing subjects to boot!

By maintaining strict control of deaths on the station, and quarantining corpses before resurrection occurred, they could effectively ensure an uncontrolled outbreak would never happened like in the past.

Or so they thought.

This would of worked if Markers were a one trick pony. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Markers could emit multiple fields of "influence" around them. Each with a different effect. The EDF knew of only one, the resurrection field, and that is where our story begins.

"If a dead organism lies within proximity of a marker, it is resurrected after a time" was the first field of energy emitted by markers, and one that remained constantly in effect.

"If living organisms outnumber dead organisms, broadcast subliminal messages" was the second field of energy emitted by markers, and one completely unknown to the EDF.

In this case aboard the Bloodstone, the marker also generated the second field of energy, and the individuals aboard the Bloodstone station were its target. The marker probed the minds of staff personnel, and test subjects alike, driving them to homicidal and suicidal tendencies.

When the dust settled, the Marker’s reanimation abilities were finally able to come to light. Dead flesh in proximity of the Marker underwent some form of recombination, creating the first “Necromorphs”, fully revived bodies, and not just tissue samples, aboard the ship. These Necromorphs aided in further killings across the ship, the goal presumably being to "clear out local population".
--
All of this was unknown to those aboard the USG Destroyer-Class vessel Atlanta that had been sent to investigate the distress signal sent out just before communications ceased. The higher ups had neglected to inform the crew of the situation because they couldn't; they didn't know what had happened themselves or that an necromorph outbreak was even possible under those circumstance.

The Atlanta crew was made to believe this would be a subjugation run. The higher-ups didn't want to unnecessarily inform them of the black projects the facility had performed, what with human experimentation and all. If they were sending men in blind, they figured they'd send in the best, of the best.

From the Atlanta crew's point of view, this made no sense.
If this mission really were just a simple subjugation, why were they sending the USG Atlanta of all vessels? In addition to the vessel itself being a destroyer class war machine, its crew were among the most decorated in the military. What the EDF was doing now was akin to making the star player towel boy. They would be used much more efficiently in the nearby colony wars, most likely as the flagship of an entire fleet of vessels.

No... Instead, the Atlanta's crew were being sent on a rescue mission, wherein all likelihood the supposed rescuees would already have been annihilated by the prisoner population.

No, this couldn't possibly be the mission. Maybe the EDF wanted them to cleanse the prison's population, for the massive station's redeployment somewhere more efficient? Regardless, the Atlanta had never participated in any "dark" mission, indeed the thought of doing so would churn the stomachs of any who consider themselves part of the prestigious crew.

Being kept in the dark was an uneasy feeling for everyone.

--
Progression

This RP has two possible ways of progression.

The first is I would progress the story from map to map with events happening along the way at predetermined spots. This one has an ending. It would delay the game's posting since I still need to make maps though.

The other is open ended with me letting the players determine the environment and events that happen in the story whilst I simply calculate.

--
Rules

1) You may only reload once per post. In addition, you may only fire the amount of ammo allotted to the left of your clip size before reloading. Example: 4/40
2) Have Fun!

--
Stats

Stats will determine events. You only get 50 points to allocate between both your weapons and your attributes. Maxing out a stat gives you an ability. Abilities are accumulative.

Strength: Determines monster grapple success vs your character. In addition, it allows your character to force open some doors on the maps in my progression system.
20/20Strength
Ability Melee: Destroys target monster. Recharges once per post.
Passive: Monsters that attempt to grapple you are destroyed.
Passive: Monsters are much more likely to grapple you.

Speed: Determines monster accuracy vs your character. In addition, it allows your character to jump over some gaps on the map in my progression system.
20/20Speed
Passive: Greatly reduces the odds of being "attacked"

Intelligence: Determines how much life your med packs restore to you and your allies. In addition, you can open some locked doors on the map in my progression system.
20/20Intelligence
Passive Ability: Soothing Healer: You may preemptively heal allies without even posting, as if having heightened reflexes. Healing items required. Can be turned on or off throughout RP.

Armor: Determines player damage reduction when hit.
20/20Armor
Ability: Guard: Select any number of allies. Attacks on them are redirected at you.

Awareness: Determines the probability and results of a "search". In addition, you may notice some things on the map in my progression system.
Ability: Search: Scavenges surrounding area. Everyone has this ability. Recharge: Can be used once per post. The effectiveness of the ability drops if used consecutively.
20/20Awareness
Passive: You obtain a grade 1 med pack every 2 post.

SWS Motorized Pulse Rifle(Assault Rifle)
5 Damage/Shot. Automatic.
Clip Size: 20/200 ammo initially
@20/20Skill: Overkill: Damage per shot drops to 2. Accuracy is leveled to 50%. For two posts, Player clip becomes 1000, and ammo is not expended. Duration: 2 posts. Recharge: 10 reloads

Handheld Graviton Accelerator(Shotgun)
5*5 Damage/Shot. Scattershot or concentrated.
Clip Size: 4/40 ammo initially
@20/20Skill: Onslaught: Accuracy becomes 100%. You may reload 3 more times, in addition to your standard 1 reload per weapon / post.
Duration:1 Post. Recharge: 10 reloads .

Seeker Rifle(Sniper Rifle)
50 Damage/Shot. Single Fire.
Clip Size: 2/20 ammo initially
@20/20Skill: Annihilation: Damage increases 100%. Accuracy becomes 100%. Your next shot hits 5 targets.
Duration: Instant. Recharge: 10 reloads.

211-V Plasma Cutter(Pistol)
20 Damage/Shot. Single Fire.
Clip size: 5/unlimited ammo
No Special Ability

--
Character Skeleton

Character Name:
*Appearance: can be description + picture or either.
*Personality/Bio: (Were you Earthborn? Colonyborn? Never experienced life off a space vessel? What did you do to end up on the prestigious Atlanta!

Allocate 50 points to the following categories. No single category may exceed 20.
Strength:
Speed:
Intelligence:
Armor:
Awareness:
211-V Plasma Cutter:
SWS Motorized Pulse Rifle:
Handheld Graviton Accelerator:
Seeker Rifle:

* =Optional. Those that make really good ones that impress me will receive a "Powernode" at the start. Powernodes are one of several items I plan on having throughout the game. They level you up at benches.

Note:
-If someone has sufficiently high stats in an area, they maybe able to act without me needing to calculate. The only things I will always calculate for sure are scavenge results.
-Players can trade or give items to one another or heal each other.
-Players with points in multiple weapons start with each weapon at the beginning. In addition, you can reload both, once per post each, doubling fire power. A player can select the same weapon twice and theoretically dual wield. You have to indicate this on your character skeleton, though.

-For clarity, every calculation I do is ran through a Dev c++ program.

Also, here's a monster skeleton, I use these when calculating during battle.
Monster Name:
Strength:
Accuracy:
Regular Damage:
Successful Grapple Damage:
Agility:
Durability:
Weapon Effectiveness: None

Do you guys prefer the stats be modest, hard, or easy?

I can also make the stats extremely difficulty, which really turns this RP into a battle of survival. I'd recommend specializing and maxing out stats for difficulties beyond hard.
Last edited by IIIusion on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

IIIusion
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Dead Space

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IIIusion on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deleted Post.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

IIIusion
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SlayerofYaks on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:02 am

Uuunnn. Submitted my character, hope she's alright.

Edit: Also, I think a middle progression would be best, perhaps it scales up as we go on. As much as I'd love to play this on 'zealot', we might TPW pretty darn quick.
Are you dead or are you sleepin'?
God, I sure hope you are dead.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

SlayerofYaks
Member for 12 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nobu on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:21 am

i have a question about the pistol... if you just put 1 point in it... youj get the pistol with unlimited ammo and stuff?

Nobu
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IIIusion on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:47 am

Yes, you receive all weapons you have any points invested into at the start.

But the amount of points you put in a weapon is the main determinant of its acccuracy to be pitted against monster agility.

So keep in mind you may miss alot when I plug that skill into my deadpsace calculator and its compared to monster agility(The calculator does the math. If someone asks me, I'll right out the longhand of the calculations though ). You may get lucky with rolls and still hit a decent amount of times with the pistol though.

IIIusion
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scarlet Bullets on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Question dear boy IIIusion!

"Telekinesis ("Kinesis"), also referred to as "G.R.I.P.", is a small modular plug-in resembling a thick, six-vaned heat sink designed for use with the Stasis Module. Whereas Stasis causes an object to slow down, Kinesis is used to suspend and handle objects both heavy and light via an artificial gravity field created by the module..."

So, how do you vary in the Kinesis and the Stasis? Or maybe none at all?
"Don't be shocked, that people die. Be surprised, your still alive."

Scarlet Bullets
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IIIusion on Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:01 pm

I didn't know how to add certain things into my calculation system, but I did have a stasis module that can freeze large amounts of enemies and render them unable to add to the monster attack phase.

My pride and joy. The compiler I use: Image
Last edited by IIIusion on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IIIusion
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IIIusion on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:47 pm

We'll start after another application.

IIIusion
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nobu on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:36 pm

typo in the items update area regarding armor...

Grade I Armor Upgrade: Directly reduces post-calculation damage taken by 50.
Grade II Armor Upgrade: Directly reduces post-calculation damage taken by 100.
Grade II Armor Upgrade: Directly reduces post-calculation damage taken by 175.

should be Grade III for the third one? right?

Nobu
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IIIusion on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:38 pm

oh, thanks missed that

IIIusion
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scarlet Bullets on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 pm

I forgot to give praise to this role play of yours dear IIIusion. I for one have limited knowledge of the 'dice rolling' type of role plays but always wanted to try one. It's awesome to see how someone can take an awesome video game like Dead Space/Dead Space 2 and turn it into a DD just like that.

I'm glad you enjoyed the character I made and can't wait to start. If, by chance, there is anything I should know about the battle system. (like how to post what action I did to see if it was successful of not with your pride and joy calculator) Please tell me so I don't mess up in the role play. I might be worrying for nothing but just in case, hate to look foolish during this ya know?

Scarlet Bullets
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scarlet Bullets on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 pm

I don't want to really be a spaz or anything but... Sense it would seem no one is joining maybe we should start before some of us lose interest. That tends to happen on this site when the roleplay does not start for a while and I hate to see this one go after you put so much work into something great.

Scarlet Bullets
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SlayerofYaks on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Is not spaz-like. I'd hate for the roleplay to die before it ever got a chance to live as well. -nod--nod-

SlayerofYaks
Member for 12 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scarlet Bullets on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Well... I guess all we can do now is wait... And see if it will start... For Illusion has no been on for a while.

Scarlet Bullets
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!