Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat โ€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Forth Rode the King

Compendium Penumbria

a part of “Forth Rode the King”, a fictional universe by Brawness.

The king is dead, bards and courtly minstrels sing of lands asunder. The Bastard Prince now sits on the throne favoured by His Late Majesty. Again the Isles gradually descends into a violent twist of loyalty and betrayal.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Forth Rode the King”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Compendium Penumbria

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brawness on Sun May 05, 2013 6:32 am

This thread is dedicated to specific information regarding lore/history, characters, in character detailing of events, behind the scenes, etc.

Perhaps of all my travels and being, here in Penumbria I am proud to call my home, my life.

Penumbria as a land mass is fairly isolated from much of the world with foreign influences merely reaching trading hubs. Unlike their 'Neighbours' Penumbrian politics is unique, many foreigners who came ashore found the balance of power between the classes ridiculous, even as far as saying the King has no more authority than a farmer who reaps and sows.

With all places in the world, each has their own unique customs and long history dating back before men could write. A book no matter how many rolls of parchment cannot explain the beauty of which is the world we live in.

~ Tigernan

Insert Philosophical Quote Here

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Brawness
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Compendium Penumbria

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jester Maroc on Mon May 20, 2013 8:20 am

I am noticing a deviation from the original premise of the roleplay as devised by Brawness. I believe we are not paying enough attention to conditions and circumstances of medieval Europe upon which this roleplay is based. I remember Brawness stating that the population of the towns and cities are based on 13-14th century Europe.

Bearing this in mind we need to understand that 1200-1300 Europe was a period of emergence from isolation. Most ships were generally designed for local trade at best and mostly for fishing. The few ships that did trade internationally were mostly in the hands of a few nobles or city merchants.

During this period two ships were widely used:

The Knarr, which is what Alerk Alerkson is using to come to Penumbria.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knarr

And secondly, the Cog, which at this time had replaced most of the Knarrs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cog_(ship)

Ship technology and knowledge of navigation simply was not advanced to the stage where long voyages could be taken safely. Time at sea was always a very risky endeavour and navigating far from land most certainly taboo!

Therefore, it will be impossible for any of the Penumbrian regions to survive from trade as opposed to local economic production and inter-trade. With economies based on agricultural production, control of the most and best farmland still guaranteed the most power. Power was based on control of land, and wealth was accumulated through tax on this land.

If any of you love reading and would like to know more read up at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jester Maroc
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brawness on Tue May 21, 2013 12:21 am

Expanding on historical accuracy, unfortunately back then they didn't have electric guitars or sick drum kits.

This is what they had roughly back then (some are may be poems, but this is just to give taste)

Guillaume de Machaut (14th Century - Old French) Most of his compositions were about courtly love & religion

- Je vivroie liement
- Tels rit au main qui soir pleure
- La Messe de Nostre Dame (His most famous work)
- Douce dame jolie (One of his more famed compositions)

Gaucelm Faidit (12-13th Century - a troubadour)

- S'om pougues partir son boler

I cannot provide many more due the lack of my personal knowledge, however there is a guy on youtube called Arany Zoltan who performs many medieval and based works (like the one above)

Brawness
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jester Maroc on Tue May 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Great find Brawness!

Jester Maroc
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Wed May 22, 2013 8:58 am

Coupons: That was one hell of a post but I have to point something out. We're in a medieval time frame, as I understand it, so the idea of publishing anything, at all, in any sort of quantity is not possible. Let alone magazines with their glossy covers and photos.

I could see maybe having a list of items and all that but no one is going to read something like that except maybe the Church so they figure out if you've been sinning or not.

Oh, and reporters didn't exist, at all.
Nothing to see here

Tempest
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DuBois_Scarlett on Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 pm

I have to agree with Tempest and Jester before, who raised a similar matter. These things may seem minor but can greatly affect a theme and setting such as the one we have here, i.e. Middle ages, Medieval times.

I know many have been having some trouble with this, which is understandable as not everyone is greatly knowledgeable or immersed in the period, so here are a few websites I use when I wish to check or learn a certain aspect of the times:

* Middle Ages

* Medieval Life and Times

* Medieval Life

Anything you can't find here, you can surely find on Google :D Or, even, feel free to ask myself, just drop me a PM, I'll be more then happy to help!

x

DuBois_Scarlett
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Wed May 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Off topic a bit but... Maul must be gay. When a women climbs between your legs and starts taking your clothes off, take the hint man, time to get kinky! Pull her down onto the bed next to you indeed...

Tempest
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DuBois_Scarlett on Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Thank you Tempest for that lovely image, lol, but you need to read it a little clearer, it says she comes to stand between his legs not climb. And actually Maul's action were truer to the scene, his character and definitely Isodell's. You'll learn the complex character dynamics and ethics of each of them the more you RP with us :D

P.S. This is the wrong place to put this :P

x

DuBois_Scarlett
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jester Maroc on Wed May 22, 2013 5:31 pm

Tempest wrote:Off topic a bit but... Maul must be gay. When a women climbs between your legs and starts taking your clothes off, take the hint man, time to get kinky! Pull her down onto the bed next to you indeed...

LOL! You know what they say, women like it slow.

Tempest, have a look at Brawness' description of Silverstone. I'm sure you will notice he wrote small mining town. Not city, nor great fortress. Otherwise great posts, I really like both your characters. I look forward to the epic struggle ahead!

Jester Maroc
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Wed May 22, 2013 7:05 pm

If you read the description he posted under the "Places" tab you will note that my description of the place has been allowed to stand.

Tempest
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roku Mushabuki on Wed May 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Well 5,000 could still be considered a city depending on where you are. For example if you were in Italy or anywhere in Europe actually it could considered a city being that ten thousand was a LOT of people. So doubling the population was not needed at all.

Being that Sundregn is the same size of Paris at the end of the 14th century and Paris was, I believe, the second or third largest city in Europe. Cรณrdoba being first. So the fact of that the Kingdom has three metropolises and two very large cities, Hightower being nearly the population of Rome, it's true that Silverstone could be considered still a town.

So if we go on populations of Europe it would be a city but if we use the population of Penumbria then it would be a large town. I just suggest that Tempest bring the description back to 5,000 as that was the original population.

Roku Mushabuki
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brawness on Thu May 23, 2013 12:37 am

Just to clear things up myself and with honesty I did a poor job at descriptions and the likes

My level of writing and character building is no where near you guys :D

With that being said if you can elaborate on things if you feel like it and if i find it fitting of the theme I'll accept it :D

Brawness
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jester Maroc on Thu May 23, 2013 3:42 pm

@ Tempest. Point taken. Apologies if I may have appeared difficult. I just don't want this turning into a fantasy roleplay with ever more elaborate cities, castles, etc.

@ Roku, thanks for peeping in and clarifying for us!

And I am sorry if it appears that I am picking at people's posts! I do feel that we should work together instead, but to do that we have to work together to make this story of ours believable. As soon as I cannot believe that what I am reading can actually happen, then it becomes very difficult for me to contribute fully as I struggle to immerse myself in the story and the characters. So my plea to everybody is, please ask yourself first, was this possible during the medieval times? And did this happen during the medieval time frame?

Brawness, dude, this roleplay is getting better and better! I don't think any of us could have imagined that it would grow thus. Thanks for starting it for us, and I am glad that we can contribute. I am really enjoying this, cannot wait for Arken to start landing on our shores! It should give us a chance to unite a little, or as others might feel, take advantage of the situation to expand their influence and power!

Jester Maroc
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 pm

@Jester: No worries, I understand completely and I think a few people have pointed out the high numbers for Silverstone so I will drop the population to 5000.

@Brawness: Can you change the Silverstone population number to 5,000 please. I also have to agree with Jester, this RP looks solid so far, good idea.

@Roku: I will respond to Cade, I promise. I just think it takes time for people to travel so after another day or two RL I will RP him arriving.

@All: While we're talking population sizes I might also point out that while a King might summon an army of 10,000 a lord (Warden) would have considerably less, and most of them would not be professional troops. It's damn expensive to maintain armies.

I am running Alerk on the Norse system (Obviously) where every man who joins him is a warrior, granted he brings his women and kids, but they're all there to fight and take stuff. Even so, the largest Danish army ever assembled in the invasion of Britain was 5,000 and I'll try to keep it simple like that.

Tempest
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Coupons on Fri May 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I've edited this post extensively over the past few hours. If you've read it before 07:10 GMT, much has been added. Sorry!

Tempest wrote:Coupons: That was one hell of a post but I have to point something out. We're in a medieval time frame, as I understand it, so the idea of publishing anything, at all, in any sort of quantity is not possible. Let alone magazines with their glossy covers and photos.

I could see maybe having a list of items and all that but no one is going to read something like that except maybe the Church so they figure out if you've been sinning or not.

Oh, and reporters didn't exist, at all.

Thanks for the compliment! To clear up the idea of the magazine and the reporter, magazines actually did originate in the late middle ages, but they weren't exactly made for a wide audience. Some of the very first magazines were targeted at the wives and daughters of the wealthy merchant class, or bourgeoisie. These circulations were handwritten, with the highly infrequent appearance of illustrations, and contained fashion advice, gossip, social and political news, and were the origin of the kind of paperback romance story that is so common in bookstores today. Business news was another common subject of magazines, or "gazzettes," as they would have been called. Most of these would have been circulated by mail, but some were even hand-delivered by the writers, which was used as an opportunity to gather gossip for the next issue. Admittedly, this is more 16th century than 14th, but I thought it wouldn't be too much of a stretch, and it allowed me to convey both historical background for the family and personal feelings of the character in an easy format.

I struggled with finding a source for the 16th century origin for a while, aside from what's in one of my history books, but finally found one online(fucking shit fuck I can't post links - Google "International History of Journalism Mitchell Stephens." It should be the first result.): "Indeed, this is a word that turns up over and over again throughout the history of the newspaper. Russians actually call their newspapers "gazeta." The word can be traced back to handwritten newssheets โ€“ sometimes known as gazzette โ€“ distributed weekly, as I have shown in my book A History of News, in Venice as early as 1566." The "gazzette" of 1566 are the earliest confirmed circulars/magazines of this nature, and they covered a variety of topics, but it's thought that they weren't the only of their kind, or even the first. There's more information in the book itself, and it's quoted quite a bit in Kishlansky's "Civilization in the West, Volume 2."

I have jumped the gun by a little more than a century, but I figure that the idea of the magazine would have cropped up shortly after the gentry did, which has a 15th century origin, I believe, and used that as an excuse to accelerate the timeline a bit. I admit that I just made the assumption of gentry and city politics, considering the sizes of some of the locations. London didn't reach a population of 200,000 until the turn of the 17th century; In the 14th century, the suggested time period for our setting, London consisted of between 20,000-50,000 citizens. The rise of the gentry allowed for new advances in farming which, in turn, allowed for the rise in population. One could not exist without the other.

Paris had a population similar to Sundregn at the end of the 14th century, sure, but there were a lot of contributing factors to this that could not exist on an island nation like Penumbria--namely religious pilgrimages that would become permanent immigration, due to the religious and cultural influence of Louis IX, the last of the Capetian line of kings, and the construction of La Sainte-Chapelle; it was widely held to be a golden age for France. These numbers would be lost by the end of the 14th century, due to the Black Death.

As a side note, none of Penumbria's cities are built on a river, like nearly every large city would have been during the time period, and this would have contributed heavily to the potential population of the city. A good example for a city that wasn't built on a river would be Rome, which had a million people at its peak, largely due to massive territorial claims and the infrastructure to bring in food from them. Unfortunately, at the time our setting, Rome had lost much of its population, and didn't recover to 200,000 citizens until the 19th century.

Anyway, I hope that helps validate my post, and has been informative for the players. In the end, this is an RP for the Isle of Penumbria, not the Isle of Britannia, or the Kingdom of France, so I don't see why a little creative freedom can't be taken. Hell, I honestly thought the magazine/journal was one of the more probable parts of my post, in comparison to a family maintaining their wealth and power for centuries. Though, if there is a real serious problem with the format of my post, or any other part, then either of the game masters are more than free to request I change it.

Coupons
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!