Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Role Playing in the Multiverse

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

Role Playing in the Multiverse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:58 am

Role Playing in the Multiverse presented by Sko
And so it comes again that I present another guide to the community and this one a bit more pointed than the others that I have written. This helpful topic was asked to be contributed by a member named Megraw, and I was more than happy to respond to her request, naturally. What this subject matter confronts are the difficulties many users have been facing when attempting to role play in Remæus' role play: The Multiverse; where any and all characters are accepted to join together to make one wide spread storyline arc. Now this will be an on-going topic that I shall add on to as questions are asked and contributed through replies via this thread. And please do ask them! I will answer as thoroughly as I can, and believe you me, I have roleplayed in the Multiverse for a long while now and can easily state that I am quite experienced to do so. I will just cut to the chase and answer some questions that have already been asked through the chat, but have not really received a more lengthy explanation of what to do.

What is the Multiverse?
The Multiverse is, in essence, a writing game in which all players have equal input into the story.

There are no statistics or win conditions, and instead, the constant overarching goal for each player is to explore the extensive possibilities that occur when there are no limitations on the scope of reality.

In other words, it is a place in which a player can extend and exercise the ability and creativity of their mind without limitations of a restricted world. The Multiverse can be added to with just about anything that a mind can conjure, in accordance to Remæus' rules for the MV of course. The most simply put I can think of at this time is that the Multiverse is where not only galaxies and planets converge in a single place, but universes and beyond even that. There are no boundaries whatsoever as far as my knowledge allows. You want to roleplay two battling planetary systems? You've got it. Want to just play a simple and small character to interact with others? Definitely. In this roleplay, a player can go as large or as small as their heart desires.

What kind of Character should I play?
The question is... what character should you not play? As stated above, this is a place with no boundaries aside from the set rules and regulations set by the site Creator and monitored by Moderators. However, I have realized something during my time spent roleplaying in the MV: the more original a character, the more easily accepted and intriguing that character is going to be. A little clarification: If we've seen the character on T.V., read about them, played them in a video game; experienced them in some sort of media outlet, then the audience is going to grow bored of that person/creature/being/etc fast. Why? Because we already know what to expect. Spend a little time and effort on what exactly you want to contribute to the MV community instead of rushing and making someone or something that already exists!

I'm not saying that you should create this crazy and complicated new species of human or creature, what have you, but merely to take something you love and transpire that into your own creation. Have a gunslinging westerner, but don't make Billy the Kid or Butch Cassidy. Have this 1337 skilled ninja, but stop making Naruto characters specific to the series. Marvel fan? Make your superhero, but someone that's never been seen before. For more information on how to create a lasting and memorable character, do visit this guide to help you along on that adventure.

Now it's really hard to go into too much detail on this subject if I don't have more specific questions on this topic, so please please please do ask them!

How do I get people to roleplay with me?
This is by far the most asked question in chat, directly or indirectly in OOC (out of character). I have seen it countless of times recently where a player will use the OOC chat button to advertise their availability to roleplay with someone. This is not a good way to get attention! I do not know how this came about as I've been here longer than my profile suggests and I have never seen this before aside from a few months ago. You don't have to advertise your time! Please stop doing it. There are far better ways to involve yourself with other characters. Never once have I done this, yet I have gotten all of my characters interaction with other player's characters.

Here is how I go about achieving this feat (and believe me it's a lot harder than it used to be a year ago):

• Don't make huge introduction posts. Keep them within one 2000 character limit post at the maximum. Three to five lines is what gains the most attention because it is quickly read and it still gives adequate detail for other players to respond.
  • Bold, underline, make noticeable the name of someone's character you wish to interact with! I can't tell you how important this is. It's hardly easy to ignore a charater's name when it stands out so boldly (pun intended).
  • Interact with someone, by adding their name of some detail that stands out to that/those specific character/s. Brush against someone, pass them a look, flip them off without reason, etc. And remember to add a name or outstanding detail!
  • Use grammar to the utmost of your ability. I understand not everyone has perfect writing capabilities, and I am one of those myself. I have to stop and think constantly about when and when not to use a semi-colon. All you need do is make sure you use punctuation and capitalize words that need it: the beginning of a sentence, a name, or important place, etc.
  • Don't give up! You may not catch the attention of the first person you try to roleplay with in the MV. But that doesn't mean that someone is not going to respond. I have sat there for long periods of time, just roleplaying out my character without response from someone else. Sure I felt a but lonely, but eventually someone came along and joined in. You don't always need someone immediately, even if that's preferable.

—List subject to be changed or added upon. Please do add feedback and suggestions.

Gambit's Bar
This is the heart and soul of the Multiverse. Everyone who has ever roleplayed in this roleplay has been to the bar. It is a famous as it is infamous. Gambit's Bar is where members will find the most activity in posting, no matter the style. If its been roleplayed, it's been in Gambit's, I can assure you, haha. Now, I don't know the exact history of the place, but I do know that multiple people have played out stories with characters that have owned it, or managed the building; protected and cared for it as well. And this very subject is an old reason why so many battles have been fought in the past: wanting to own or control the most used room in the chat. It makes you stop and wonder why wars would be raged over wanting to own a bar when another can be made...? Not too plausible, but it's what has happened in the past. Now it is just a cesspool of fights which endanger the lives of everyone present. Not very fun for those that don't enjoy combat.

Why not take that conflict to another room these days? It cannot be that difficult to whisper to your fellow player and suggest a new room in order to really spread those legs out and not crush the atmosphere for other members. Bars are a place to relax and enjoy company of other people, or to meet someone new. It's not a place to seek random characters out in order to release some textual aggression. This ruins the very purpose of the reason it is a bar in the first place. That's why we have the Battle Arena, or Master's Dojo, am I wrong? This is purely my opinion, and I am definitely up to discussion on this topic as well as gain others' opinion and feedback on my own.

Why is it that everyone battles in Gambit's Bar? Is it purely for the fact that it is the only place which multiple people can be found?

Once again, thank you for your time invested in reading this over. It's not as well done as I would like as I am writing this in the dead of early early morning. But demand has required me to post this earlier than planned, as well it was a spur of the moment topic. I highly ask you to ask your questions concerning roleplay in the MV, and I will answer those to the best of my ability below.

Happy Role Playing RPG.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Re: Role Playing in the Multiverse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Multi-Charactering
When playing multiple characters at once, which is difficult to do, do not use this format:

Jane Smith Johnny: went to go grocery shopping today.
Jane Smith saw Andrew and drooled because he was so good looking.

That is just bad form for RP, and also since the MV is a part of the RP tab system developed by Remæus, every post that you send through chat is logged into its IC forum. When you read a book, you never see a sentence that reads, 'Jane Smith Johnny went to go grocery shopping today' when its only supposed to speak about one person and not two. It just doesn't make sense people!

It should be formatted to this:

Johnny went to go grocery shopping today.
Jane Smith saw Andrew and drooled because he was so good looking.

There are buttons for your characters for a reason. It is an easy way for you to select different characters and add different perspectives in the room which you are currently RPing. When a character is selected, it will be highlighted while the others will remain fogged over. This feature for switching between characters also allows a member to play with more than one person and in more than one room.

Also, I would like to end on this note. When posting, do not use the /me or "do" button then type the character's name. It also causes this confusion when reading the Multiverse in the IC forum. And yes, people do read it to keep up with certain characters or a large plot arc. We don't want to read a character's name twice because, again, that doesn't make too much sense.

Remember, questions and discussion is very much so welcomed here.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Re: Role Playing in the Multiverse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Breaking Down Format Commands

Buttons

• OOC - Allows you to post IC (In character) OOC (out of character) comments, but do be sure they follow the OOC Rules for the Multiverse. This button also allows for you to exit IC rooms and enter the OOC room for general chat.

• Do - Shows or depicts an action that your character preforms. In example: said, walked, slammed, hit, coughed, looked, and so on. This button should never be used for dialog as it inserts your character name. Reading something like Jane Smith "Hey guys," said Jane Smith just does not make sense. Don't do it.

• Say - This inserts a quote box into your post. While using this button, you should only write what you character is saying. No actions are needed. Use this for more lengthy monologue or "preaching" posts.

• Write - A general format for posting. This does not automatically insert character names. You can insert dialogue, subject-first actions for this button. It is like writing a normal post in the forums, to explain it a little better. Use complete sentences and a thought out summary of your post.

Commands
  • /ic - Allows you to go in character. Type in /ic <character name as submitted in "My Characters">. It is case sensitive!
  • /ooc - See "OOC" in "Buttons" above.
  • /me - See "Do" in "Buttons" above.
  • /say - See "Say" in "Buttons" above.
  • /write - See "Write" in "Buttons" above.
  • /exits - Lists directional exits in the current room where you character is located. See below for functional usage:
    • /west - Allows your character to exit or move west.
    • /east - Allows your character to exit or move east.
    • /north - Allows your character to exit or move north.
    • /south - Allows your character to exit or move south.
    • /up - Allows your character to exit or move up.
    • /down - Allows your character to exit or move down.
  • /look - Lists the directions which you character can move, or exit from a room.

Prose
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!