Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Helpful Ryu-hints for roleplay romance

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

Helpful Ryu-hints for roleplay romance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryu-Kazuki on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:57 pm

Hello and welcome to another guide to roleplaying by the infamous Ryu-Kazuki!

Today, we will discuss romance, and no, sorry, I can't help you mend a broken relationship. I'm just here to help people better understand the fine arts of romance in roleplays. Except the naughty things. You'll have to request that from me personally. (Kidding, ain't I a stinker?) So no, no naughty things will be discussed, just the tastefulness of romance!

Romance is tasteful and beautiful. It is soft, and yet brutal at nearly the same expense. Romance is a tough battle that one must fight with sheer willpower to endure.

Regarding roleplay romance, there is a thing referred to as a pairing. Most of you should know, a pairing is a shared special relationship between two characters that people favor in an anime, manga, or fandom.

Pairings can include any types of combinations. Same race, species, or gender. The same rule goes for mixed pairings. Remember, I am not encouraging any of this, just explaining the types of pairings available.

First, to understand romances, you have to understand the other character. Putting yourself IC (in character), you get to know and understand the other characters around you in the roleplay. Their personality, background, and interests. Never say anything about the character OOC (out of character) that would hurt the feelings of the person playing them, it has horrible repercussions.

There are three basic types of romances when it comes to pairings between characters;

Crushes: Just like any crush, when a roleplayer is IC, sometimes then will be hooked by another roleplayer's character. Snatched on, by a crush. Crushes as short, and painful. They don't often last long and end in a large disaster, sometimes arising conflict later on between the character.

As lovers: This is usually when two characters are in a very close romance, but are not bound together. (Some roleplayers, like myself, tend to usually keep their character with only, one lover in their characters' lives.) Meaning, they are not married, nor do they have a family.

Partnerships: This is when two characters are bound to each other by a willing marriage, (I say willing because this is about romance, not shotgun weddings.) Most likely these characters end up having a family and spending the rest of their lives, (which nobody really roleplays out to), together. Usually as well, if one roleplayer retires, or does not roleplay with the same person anymore, then the characters usually do not indulge in any more romanticism.

Everlasting: This is much like a partnership, but the characters have made scared vows to another to be with their partner, if there is, or not, an afterlife in the roleplay.

"Anyone can write a sex scene, it takes a real writer to make a love scene." - David Gerrold

Romantic scenes in roleplay. Sometimes a big favorite between people. It's very fun to do and very creative to make the characters fall in love with one another.

I feel like giving an example of a love scene between a human hetero-pairing in a realistic setting, so roleplayers know what can come from a well written love scene;

That night, Jenny won't be able to forget about it. It's too painful to think about it, yet it still plagues her mind. Why did she ever think to do something so stupid?! It doesn't matter anymore, it can't be undone.

Back that night, she was waiting at the bus stop. It was raining; the only light was the lamppost sticking out of the pavement. An eerie orange glow that made the scene only more haunting.

She'd always dreamed of being a big Broadway star. Oh, it was the most wonderful thing in the world! Nothing could compare; nothing except...

As she waited on the bus, standing out near the bench in the orange light, and the cold rain, Tom was there. He was standing next to her, holding her hand, firmly, but not too hard. Trying to hold on before he had to see her leave.

The bus was taking a while. As it rained even more, the chances of getting sick were even higher. Tom slipped off his jacket, taking the beating and rain, soaking into his shirt, as he handed the jacket to his beloved.

She wouldn't even look at him and tried to refuse the jacket. Tom wouldn't hear of it, not a word! So she took the jacket from him and put it on.

As the antagonizing wait continued, they both stayed silent. Tom eventually couldn't stand it anymore. He looked at her and asked, "Is this really what you want?"

Jenny took a moment, and with hesitation, she replied, "Yes..."

That night was horrible. Jenny could never believe she did anything like that. She looked back into the living room of her apartment from where she was standing. Tom was there, sitting and watching something on the television. In the end, Jenny was just glad she made the choice that was right to her.

Yes, that was sad, but it's still love and romance, any way you take it.

No, I won't be showing you a naughty scene. Sorry, children roleplay on this site! (You should be ashamed...)

Let your characters' lives prosper, let your romance be tasteful, and remember, romance is fun, and creative, don't forget to include a little every now and then!
Last edited by Ryu-Kazuki on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
To all of you here at Roleplay Gateway, my many friends, I leave you a lifetime supply of ice cream. Oh, the flavor? A boot to the head!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ryu-Kazuki
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Re: Helpful Ryu-hints for roleplay romance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:42 pm

A very informative post, Ryu! I liked it though... with the whole love scene, me personally, I prefer tragedies. She should have left him there. I have a habit of allowing my characters to fall in love and then allowing them to die just to see the other character's reaction.

Is that bad...?
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:05 am

Not that informative, really, and that is bad. You gave one(horrible) scenario of four that are listed. This could probably be better understood if you wrote a detailed scenario of each, with their own separate post. Maybe brush up and fine-tune this thread a bit more to help better understand, or, by some means, fix the typos.

Matthias
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryu-Kazuki on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:51 am

It's only really to jump into the basics of it all, I'm not supposed to tell people how they do their romances. Yet, I did plan on adding more regardless as I do more research on it

Also, I hate to tell you, there are no typos, I even triple-checked with spell-check to make sure

Ryu-Kazuki
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sammich on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:11 am

Ryu-Kazuki wrote:Also, I hate to tell you, there are no typos, I even triple-checked with spell-check to make sure

Actually, there are.
ViceVersus has officially given me a THUMBS-UP!

Sammich
Member for 14 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryu-Kazuki on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:27 am

I quadruple checked this time

Sammich, you are a formidable opponent

Ryu-Kazuki
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Winter Tail on Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:52 am

One tip I've got about RP romance speaking from experience, ones where the love would be greatly taboo often turn out to be really good ones. One RP I was in involved a lesbian relationship between a cute angel and a beautiful devil, and the Angel had asked the Devil to be her valentine because she had a crush on her, despite the difference in origins, alignment, and them both being the same sex. Was probably the cutest love story I had the honor to witness, even though everyone was ICly against it. Had a sad ending though, I actually wanted to cry.
If my character doesn't make your jaw drop at least once, I'm not doing it right.

Winter Tail
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!