Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Likes and Dislikes

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Likes and Dislikes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GanAiden on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 pm

I've been a member here for a little over a week now and I've noticed a recurring theme that has stricken me as a bit odd. Namely: Likes and Dislikes. I have, on various occasions, seen that they are a required part of the character profile to join a roleplay. And my question is: Why?

I agree, one's character should have a definite personality that defines their actions and reactions in-game. But really? To have to make lists of what they like and don't like? Both lists could go on forever with any realistic human being. I honestly don't believe that a person's idle fancies are going to affect them very much in most of the story-lines I see happening on this site. Lord Awesome of Awesometon is not going to defeat the evil demon king with his love for 'quiet days alone at home.'

The other sections that are traditionally used in character development (appearance, history, personality) are, to my understanding, all included because they will affect how your character acts in the world and around other characters in significant ways. Is it really so important to know that, in addition to all of that knowledge, your character likes chocolate, books and long walks on the beach? Maybe it is but, if that's the case, I'm sure that information has real depth behind it and would fit in nicely with the personality or history. If not, what's the point?
Last edited by GanAiden on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi in metus ut odio tempor vulputate id sed quam. Quisque lobortis ultrices fermentum. Phasellus euismod quam vel erat viverra nec fermentum leo auctor.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

GanAiden
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Likes and Dislikes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Unicorn Luv on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:46 pm

The same reason they have anything besides personality, appearance, and bio; to make it look pretty. It is a bit of a spruse-up if you will.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Unicorn Luv
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Likes and Dislikes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:49 am

I think Unicorn Luv is right. I think it is mostly there for "viewing" pleasure. I used to require strict character skeletons for all of my RPs and if something was wrong, you fixed it or you were out. I've come to change that though dramatically. Hell, throw up a name, avatar, and synopsis and you're in if I believe you can play your character correctly and consistently (I also understand that some people are still learning the rope of RP too).

But I think I agree with GanAiden. I don't think its really a relevant part of a character's profile. I have an amazing profile for Aleksandra and no where does it state her likes and dislikes. It goes through an explains her life and gives her physical description and a look into one of her personalities (needs an update for the two others personalities).
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!