Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

World Building vs. Plot Weaving

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

World Building vs. Plot Weaving

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ceur'Caelesetos on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:30 am

I have always been great at making interesting worlds, be it fantasy, sci-fi, modern, or historical. In fact I have a gigantic Universe with a long timeline in my head. (I clocked it at an hour to thoroughly explain the whole of the timeline seeing as it covers from modern day to several thousand years in the future and involves interstellar travel.)

However I found that I'm quite terrible at creating story lines for characters to go through inside of these imaginary realms. I guess my mind can't handle the amount of detailing it takes to do such a thing.

I was wondering if anyone else is the same way or perhaps the opposite.

If so how do you conquer these problems?

(If this has already been talked about please just shoot me a link, thanks.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ceur'Caelesetos
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: World Building vs. Plot Weaving

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sench on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:00 am

This is a very interesting problem, indeed. I, too, suffer greatly from it, although in a slightly different fashion. I have not actually tried my hand at creating any world except a fantasy one from scratch, but I have tried to "expand" on existing worlds (including real world) in various ways.

I had no trouble coming up with the universe and setting for my original world, meaning laws of nature, nations, cultures, that sort of thing, and I had no trouble coming up with important characters and story lines for them. What I find myself practically unable to do, however, is tying everything into a comprehensive timeline. I have key characters and key events, both related and unrelated to said characters, and I have the chronological order of said events. But I can't seem to place them in the timeline, however, and create proper connections where needed.

And yeah, I know it sounds strange.
Irony is lost on those whose behavior is ironic. Isn't that... ironic?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sench
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tea on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Ceur'Caelesetos wrote:I was wondering if anyone else is the same way or perhaps the opposite.

If so how do you conquer these problems?

"Practice.

"Practice; practice; practice."

This is usually not the answer that we like to hear, but it is the answer we need. I believe that I once held a similar position to what was described in the first post. However, with practice, I became better. It was the daily kind of practice, but because I thought the exercises were fun I was not heavy with stress or doubt. I have found that the same techniques which treat and relieve Writer's Block also relieve the difficulty identified in the first post. That has been my experience through the description of it is quite brief in comparison to the amount of time that was required to earn it.

At the very worst a fill-in-the-blank style of inspiration might provide some assistance. Simply write down the names of all the characters. Then write down an equal number of verbs, places, and problems. Jumble them up and then draw them out at random. Once the blank spaces are filled in by the random words used there should be something, either stark or strange enough, to make one's brain think.

Tea
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LSunday on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:41 pm

It also can help to partner up with a friend, or fellow writer (maybe even someone else on the forum) who you think is good at it. You don't need to do a student/teacher thing, but maybe ask them to try to help you construct a story, and create a world, cast, and situation together.

I suffer from the opposite problem, which in some ways is easier to deal with. I can think of endless ways to send characters through the ringer, but if I try to stray from present-day Earth, it gets messy. However, it is easier to come up with an interesting story in a pre-existing world. The same method doesn't quite work the other way around.

LSunday
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:56 pm

The root of any storyline is conflict.

If you have a detailed world and characters, you have all the ingredients you need.

If a character is fully fleshed out, they will have at least one goal. Their road to achieving this goal is the storyline. From there, all you need is obstacles. (technically, you don't need obstacles, it's just those are what create the dramatic tension to make the story more engaging).

Now, if you are picky like me, and can't decide what angle to follow, that's another problem entirely. My recommendation is just to pick one and work at it. But, don't be afraid to try the slice-of-life angle, either. No one can go through day after day with nothing happening, so if you come with a journal for a character or two, eventually you'll start seeing opportunities to introduce a conflict.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ceur'Caelesetos on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:31 pm

My problem is the worlds I build are very grand in scale so it's tough to think of a single character going through these wars and etc.

Ceur'Caelesetos
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:16 am

Ceur'Caelesetos wrote:My problem is the worlds I build are very grand in scale so it's tough to think of a single character going through these wars and etc.

So have a bunch of characters. See: A Song of Ice and Fire, Malazan Book of the Fallen.

It's completely viable (if a bit overwhelming for readers) to create multiple plot threads following different groups.

Also consider this: The real world is grand in scale, and it's pretty easy to find a single person and follow their POV. You're doing it yourself right now.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CortexiphanGirl on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:34 am

Very interesting question. It might be cool if you teamed up with a mentor and maybe did some type of guide or workshop about it - I know I'd attend!

CortexiphanGirl
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:26 pm

How a world comes to be itself is a storyline. Your world has a history, I bet. Your fantasy worlds will have legends and your sci-fi worlds logs of previous wars. I mean, you can't have a complete world without them... Or at least you wouldn't have any human culture in that world. So use these stories; instant plot. You don't have to follow a single character. In fact, given we're not on a novel-writing forum but on a roleplaying forum you don't want to focus on a single character in the first place. As a GM, it is entirely plausible not to use a character of your own in the first place. Give the situation, name the factions; go! If your worlds are indeed strong, this should pose absolutely no problem to you. You see, a world consists out of relationships and organisations. The only real thing you need to add to have a plot is a conflict.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby they-go on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:03 am

I have an obsession with creating worlds myself, and just writing in general. I often find it easier to write fanfictiondesires as everything is rather structured already, that's why I like to go into so much details with new worlds, because then I can just pretend someone else wrote it, and I'm writing the fan fiction. Haha
random tumblings from an erratic creator whose head is in the clouds of fantasy and imagination trying to decide which direction is south for the winter.

they-go
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Entity of Sin on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:25 pm

"You can't have your cake and eat it too." type of expression doesn't work here with world building and plot weaving. You can have both in the same roleplay. In fact, I think it would be best to try and accomplish that. Makes a story look and feel more alive.

Just throwing that out there. :)

Entity of Sin
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:38 pm

I, too, am much more given to worldbuilding than I am plotting, but you should regard your strength in worldbuilding as just that - a strength. Depending upon what your goal for the RP is, it may be sufficient, but in that case you'll want a dedicated group ready to advance the story and craft plots of their own on a regular basis. I've had this before - it's awesome to see a bunch of players take the detailed world you've given them and just run with it for fifty pages even with no real predetermined plot. It's kind of a rarity in my experience, though. Not everyone is going to be able to do that, and it's not something that should be expected of them, either. Most RPs will benefit from GM-forged direction. Still, giving your players a solid background in the world can be step one, in my eyes. They'll have a framework to inspire them and work off of, and that will help them work your plot as well as their own when they're inclined.

A lot of good has been said here already. I agree with Tea that some of the things you can do to help general writer's block can be useful here. You could freewrite, do brainstorming exercises, try writing prompts, and so forth. The goal is to get a lot of ideas on paper. Then, you can throw out (or at last put away for later) everything you don't need, picking out only the things you think will work. I would add that making use of the unexpected can be helpful. Once you have your basic plot ideas down, shake them up and see what's rolling around inside. This is where exercises and brainstorming can come in handy again. Just take something (and if you're stuck as to what, there are a number of places to get writing prompts and random twists online) and throw it into your idea, play with it, and see what happens - you might surprise yourself. If it doesn't work, you can toss it out with no harm done, but it just might give you something to build on.

LSunday's advice about partnering is also good if it's your style. I love working with others from the ground up; the mixture of ideas and perspectives can really help plotting along. If you can't think of something, someone else might.

Shanatos's emphasis on conflict and goals is something to pay close attention to. These incredibly important in general writing, but I feel that they become even more important in roleplay because of the collaborative nature. Everyone is advancing the story in part; they need things to work off of. If no conflict is presented, the game can stagnate. If everyone is standing around with no motivation, the game can stagnate. Try to present opportunities for conflict within your plot, and try to give characters things to want, reasons to want them.

Another thing you can do is work off of archetypes. It has often been said that there are really only a few different types of plot, though exactly how many gets divided differently (you can see a few different systems here, and I'll provide another link on the "36 plots"). Whether you agree with this or not, they definitely present a good place to mine for frameworks and inspiration. This is a really good look at what the "36 plots" are and how they can be used in RP. And here is a really cool list of plot types that the author created based on lots of published adventures for various tabletop RPG systems (fear not, they work with plotting freeform games equally well). The key with these is not to rehash a cliche but to look at these frameworks and figure out how they can interact with your setting, your characters, and your players' characters - how you can use them to tell an interesting story with everything you have to work with. Don't think you have to stick to just one, either, or follow them exactly. Pick and choose whatever you think works. It can also be helpful to think in terms of story arcs since your game is going to be continuing on - you can take one big plot and try to think of lots of little situations to help advance it. Additionally, always remember to leave wiggle room. You want to stick to plots that your players can work with, and you don't want to railroad them.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alphadean on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:43 am

Ok guys here is my two cents:
1. Remember that roleplaying is interactive story telling. Its fine to build the world especially in broad strokes. No matter the game, your PC are the focal point regardless of the antoagonist goals. I purposefully have all my PC write a detailed background, that we flesh out more and more... I use these stories as the background fodder for a lot of my plotting. This way your players are vested in the game and it makes your life easier as GM.

2. Remember that roleplaying is interactive story telling. Make sure your PC's want, need, and desire to be apart of your world. By doing this the PC will give major feed back on what type of stories to tell.

3. Remember that roleplaying is interactive story telling. Is your world going to pervasive. In other words is your fantasy world the same world as your fantasy world as is you sci-fi world... Can your PC's connect the dots with characters from other genre games you've run or will run.

4. Remeber that roleplaying is interactive story telling. Have fun, make sure that from the beginning its about fun. Make sure all you players realize this too. Explain to them what it is you want to do, what the broad strokes (i.e. high adventure, exploration, good vs. evil ect.) of your world is about and they will help you flesh out your tale.

There might be more to say but I can't say there is. If you need me to elaborate more feel free to drop me a line.

Alphadean
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!