Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Music in Roleplay

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Music in Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WateryHeart on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:36 pm

I wanted to ask what is an easy way to use music in your story while still connecting it to the character?
Last edited by ViceVersus on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title for clarity.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

WateryHeart
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Music

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Hey, WateryHeart! Can you expound on the idea that you have here? Do you mean implementing the music actually into the body of the post, or do you mean a way to work in music to how you write?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: Music

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eyeris on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:54 am

I'm in an RP right now, one of the characters plays an instrument. Whenever she plays IG she embeds a link to the songs played (usually a classical piece). We also have an OOC thread dedicated to music. We share songs that we think would be good for other characters, situations, or for the overall RP itself, almost like we are building a soundtrack. Many RP's also have ask for a theme song in the character profile.

Eyeris
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Music in Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm

In my opinion, I don't think that music should come from outside sources when it comes to role play. It breaks immersion when a reader has to click on a link. It's almost the same as breaking the forth wall (which also breaks immersion). Music is better described through words and not by links or lyrics from songs already made and so forth. So, I would suggest just describing what he/she is playing instead of using other sources.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Re: Music in Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eyeris on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Prose wrote:In my opinion, I don't think that music should come from outside sources when it comes to role play. It breaks immersion when a reader has to click on a link. It's almost the same as breaking the forth wall (which also breaks immersion). Music is better described through words and not by links or lyrics from songs already made and so forth. So, I would suggest just describing what he/she is playing instead of using other sources.

I get what you mean. IG continuity should be considered. The girl I am talking about posts the music quite tactfully. She describes the music and you don't *have* to click the links (which are linked in the rp text itself), the entire post stands without the links, but, because it is a specific piece you can. It is not like "She played the violin (it sounds like _LINK_ this)"

Eyeris
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!