Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Any Canon/Camera Gurus Out There?

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Any Canon/Camera Gurus Out There?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:00 am

Howdy-hey, guys & gals. Your friendly neighborhood Sato here, with some camera-hunting woes.

If you're not at least somewhat familiar with Canon's rather confusing line of cameras (or familiar with cameras in general) then this thread isn't going to make much sense to you. I'm not claiming any sort of expert opinion. Quite the opposite, actually, which is the reason for me coming to you people for some sort of assistance. But seriously, brace for a lot of model numbers and technical terminology.

Anyways. In, oh, 2007 I purchased a Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Digital ELPH. PowerShot is Canon's line of consumer and prosumer cameras meant to range from just below the coveted DSLR benchmark, to simple point-and-shoots for the family. They have different lines of cameras; some advertised as "ultra-compact", some advertised as "zoom cameras" and basically it's just a really confusing clusterfuck.

What's relevant here is that five years ago, I bought a camera from the SD lineup, which combines "performance and style" (their words, not mine) in a really small camera with some really, really high specs. The camera listed for $250, and I managed to get it for $150 thanks to some gift cards.

The camera was a 10.0 MP camera with 3x optical zoom. It served me well for five years, helping me produce a number of skits in high school, along with some fantastic photos.

I have dropped it many times, the screws have started to fall apart and expose the inside, but it always kept working and seeing me through even through college, where it helped me shoot yet another number of videos. But on my way to the set of Green: The Movie, the lens froze and wouldn't return inside the camera. I fiddled with it for ages, but all it would do is seize up, click feebly, and beep at me. I stupidly began to take apart the lens.

I was left with this:

Needless to say, I was in trouble - partially of my own folly, but still. So I started looking up new cameras. I was told that my old camera, the SD790 was discontinued. Sadface. So I started looking elsewhere.

The one I bought is the Canon Powershot sx130. The SX line is, apparently, focused solely on having a ridiculous high zoom. Which is awesome. But it's bulky. It's also made of plastic. It doesn't fit very comfortable in my hand. Also, it uses double-A batteries instead of the lithium ones that I have from my old camera.

My conundrum comes from the fact that just last night I've been looking up PowerShot's ELPH line, which is basically the same line that my SD790 came from, just with the ante bumped up a bit higher. I loved my old camera. Like, a lot. We had a weird sort of creative bond, and I learned every in and out on the camera's settings. With this new one, it feels simplified and a bit odd. Cheap, almost. That might just be the plastic.

The things I'm looking for in a camera is that it's portable and durable enough to be in my pocket, like, a lot, and it can take some hits. I'm also looking for great photo quality, and great video. Specifically - great audio on video. There are a lot of manual aperture, focus, and shutter speeds on the sx130, but I'm worried about how large it is comparatively. I'm also worried about if I drop it. The plastic finish doesn't feel as battle hardened as the aluminum/metal on the SD790.

I don't know which would be the better camera for me. I paid $100 (list price: $230) for the SX130. I'm looking at the pricing of the higher-end ELPHs and they get pretty pricey. It might just come down to cost-effectiveness.

Do any of you guys have experience with either the SD (now ELPH) and SX lines of Canon cameras? I'd like to open a dialogue with someone about this.

Thanks!

-VV

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: Any Canon/Camera Gurus Out There?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Woman, you were so close to being given a lecture on the C300 and 5D cameras. I don't understand the little point and shoots at all so... get a real camera >.>

kidding :)
He who has ears to hear, let him hear
For this is a tale of an ancient kind
In the word there lies existence and the word became flesh
And dwelt among us and we saw its glory
Let him hear it who will

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kai
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration

Re: Any Canon/Camera Gurus Out There?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

Oi! I know enough about "real" cameras, thanks. xD I'm surrounded by 5Ds and 7Ds at school, so I get plenty of experience with those. This is for my own personal use, and I like having something (1) a bit more portable, and (2) less likely to break my bank/get me killed.

I'm not a Nikon gal anyways.

ButnoItotallyknowwhatyoumeanonedayI'llgetaproperDSLRandtheideaofthiscameraisthatit'ssupposedtobeapoorman(orwoman's)SLRlol.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!