Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Advice for RP?

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Advice for RP?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ink and Ravens on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:59 am

Well, last night I made my first Role Play here, titled Changing Seasons. I typed an enormous wordwall going into depth on the world, but nobody has joined. I made it last night, I was up for hours typing out the story, but it wouldn't let me post everything.
I got frustrated and had to cut out a lot of good information. In the end, I managed to get to sleep a little after one in the morning.
Now, maybe I'm just impatient, but I honestly don't think the Roleplay was good compared to others. I with I could have had more space, there was a lot that needed to be described.
I'd like to know, does anyone have advice for making the RP fun and attracting people?
What if I were to tell you...I am really a dark-knight-super-agent-dragon-holy-paladin-transformer-mutant-ninja-samurai-trainer-princess-angel-demon-vampire-teenage-ninja-turtle?
Just kidding, I'm your overlord.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ink and Ravens
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Advice for RP?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:04 pm

People may not jump on board overnight. That's a pretty short length of time. Don't lose hope yet. But the first piece of advice I'll give you is don't use the amount of people who join your RP as a direct indicator of your RP's quality or appeal. Some luck is involved -- there are a lot of RPs out there, and everybody has different tastes, so whether people join your RP can hinge simply on whether anybody who would like it actually sees it.

Some other things that might help:

1) Give it a flavorful short description instead of just saying it's your first RP and telling people to ask questions, etc. Actually summarize your game concept in a sentence or two. That short description is the first thing people see, so it can make you or break you. If people aren't hooked by it, they're not likely to click on your game.

2) A longer description isn't necessarily a better description. Thorough information can be good, but it's not always what you need. Walls of text can actually turn people off (though there are people who are still willing to go with them; it just depends on whether you think your RP description benefits from a lot of text). While you could certainly expand beyond what you've got now, I don't think you need to make it super long. Just try to cover all your bases and give the players all the information they need.

3) Break your description up into multiple paragraphs. It'll be easier on the eyes, and one paragraph should discuss one idea. I suggest two paragraphs like this:

Long ago, a poem was written, describing the nature and personifying the seasons, and has been kept throughout history because it accurately represents them. The Deities are four siblings, each representing a season, who keep balance and guided humanity through dark times. They began to look up to them so much that each developed their own faction and following who had customs and traits revolving around their patron. In every settlement, there were four sectors, one for each faction, no matter what, and although they were separate, they had festivals and meetings which kept them together.

The Deities have a special form of Angels who are loyal to them, known as Servants, they have special Magical powers and help deliver their messages. However, some become known as Corrupts, who go mad and are cast down to Earth, stripped of their authority. Here, they begin making offers with humans. Humans always want to be like their Patron, to a point where it is childish and ridiculous, for some. They begin making deals with the Corrupts, promising their souls and freedom to them so they can turn them into something more like...them. They can be summoned and used at any time by the Corrupts, to a point where whole labor factories are built for the humans are to work in! Now, some humans have begun to travel in small groups with each other, seeking their Four Deities so as to restore balance...

4) Clarify what the players' characters' purpose and goals will be going into this game. I think you intend players to play the humans looking for their gods, but I'm not really sure about that. Could players be workers in the Corrupts' factory? Could players play Corrupts, too? If the answer is yes to all counts, how are you going to tie them together so that action can occur?

5) What's the poem's significance? You mention it and just kind of drop it. Is it considered some kind of holy artifact? Either way, is it ever going to be important in the game? If not, you might consider changing the intro, even cutting that first sentence. When you start out talking about the poem, I expect that it's going to be important in some way, but it never seems to.
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ink and Ravens on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Oh...yeah...it's not that I think word walls are everything...but there was a whole lot that I needed to explain, but the site only allows so much content...my writing is mediocre, I don't think I'll really be able to make something appealing...

Ink and Ravens
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:53 pm

You should be able to fit a good chunk of information on your tab, but if you need more space than what the tab itself allows, you can always put it in your OOC thread and refer people to it. One is automatically generated when you create your game and can be found on the OOC tab. You can also make additional OOC threads and add them to your RP if you want/need to.

And I don't think that's true! I'm sure that you can do it. Don't get discouraged. In general, it looks fine to me. I definitely think you should add a summary to the short description (I mean the one that appears next to the icon), though.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ink and Ravens on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Thank you very much for the advice, the OOC forum sounds convenient.

Ink and Ravens
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!