Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Does anyone use Fantasy Grounds II?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Does anyone use Fantasy Grounds II?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pyrotechron on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Hey guys, I have recently purchased the "Fantasy Grounds II" software. It's like virtual pen-and-paper RPing, and you are allowed to connect and have real time RPs through the software.

Thought it would be really neat if anyone else had the software and wanted to run something.
The pointless point: Reality.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

pyrotechron
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Does anyone use Fantasy Grounds II?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 am

Unfortunately, no. For tabletop stuff, my only current games are on Skype, although I've always wanted to try the free program MapTool. Until I've tried that and seen whether it meets my needs, I'm avoiding spending money on a program. Have you tried MapTool? And how are you liking Fantasy Grounds so far?
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Re: Does anyone use Fantasy Grounds II?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Casimir on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:33 pm

I've used Fantasy Grounds II now for about 3 years. I have the Ultimate License, which I bought on purpose so that anyone can play (even those with the demo version).

Frankly, of all the VTT programs I've tested (which includes Maptool, and several other pay services), I like FGII the best. The rulesets are written in Lua and XML format, which allows for easy modding of one's own rulesets (if one has the skills in those programming languages). There are many rulesets available professionally, as well as many 3rd party ones. And frankly, one appealing thing is that it's one of two VTTs available that has rollable dice (the other being Roll20... in which the dice aren't nearly as nice). You can easily create games and campaigns within a given ruleset, and include tokens, images, and maps. There are several drawing tools for maps, including the ability to grey out areas the players can't see, along with a grid system, and several others.

I've used several rulesets - I'm in a long running Warhammer 2nd Ed game, have played a few sessions with the AD&D ruleset, and am involved in a long running campaign of Call of Cthulhu (6th Ed). I also ran several CoC games myself.

I'd recommend downloading the demo version just to see it for yourself. For me personally it was worth the cost of the Ultimate License ($150) because my player base could be anyone rather than only those who have licensed copies of FGII. Yes, it's spendy - but if you love RPGs and enjoy playing them, it's worth the investment.

Casimir
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!