Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Tropes of RoleplayGateway

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

The Tropes of RoleplayGateway

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PulseTrick on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:27 am

Tropes - RoleplayGateway

(If seeing this as satirical will make you less angry, Do that.)

(gonna say this now, this is a catalog if anything, as you will read, this requires more experienced minds, so feel free to post your tropes as comments, and I’ll edit them in!)

(of course, if your response to that is ??? “Why should, or would I be angry”, then my response is that I’m just trying to play it safe. Capice? Capico)

Table of Contents

1.Introduction
1.1 Hello
1.2 Why I’m doing this
1.3 Wait, What’s a trope

2.Roleplay General Tropes
2.1 Brief Explanation
2.2 Plot Tropes
2.3 Genre Tropes
2.4 Roleplay GM tropes

3.Character Tropes
3.1 Another Brief Explanation
3.2 Character Archetypes-Common
3.3 Character Archetypes-Rare
3.4 Character Archetypes-Inventive
3.5 Character Archetypes-Not Really In Good Taste
3.6 Character Tropes-General

4.Too be added

1.1 Introduction
Hello, I am PulseTrick, internet smooth guy (not schmooze smooth, the “Wow that guy was really chill” smooth). I had, like many on this website, a couple of good roleplays, but the thing that really bugged me was that out of all the roleplays i had been in, it had been in such a short amount of time. This was because all of the roleplays had been so short, and I had chosen to instead of trying to beat the system of lazy, I changed my ideals into making my characters have a more team-oriented interactions, where a combination of writers could bring an interaction to life by means of co-operation, mutual respect, and hey, TEAMWORK!

(reserved for teamwork image)

So, thats who i am, and this is what I came up with to address an issue that I don’t believe has been addressed yet.

Those who don’t learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them.

Now I’m sure you Quote Savants (which should be all of you, since that’s a trope) are either slightly appreciative because i referenced a few words regarding history, which was I admit rather clever of me, or slightly perturbed (annoyed)on how I butchered such a beautiful quote to fit into this mess of a Topic, because frankly, who is this guy right?

But seriously, this is the recurring problem here, that the problem is recurring.

1.2 Why am I doing this
I’m posting this, err... guide because I left RoleplayGateway specifically because I didn’t feel like looking for yet another Roleplay after all of the Roleplays I had joined died (or was being refused to be left in the arctic alone, and killed one husky to make a sled to be pulled by the WAAAY OFF TOPIC HERE).
Now, I would be faced with Three choices here, in my devoid state.
A. I could Make my own individual Roleplay, making it completely different, but
I would have to either make it a fan-based Roleplay, where I would have to make calls about how close I wanted to stick with Canon material.
I could make my own original idea, and make a roleplay off of that. but that has it’s own options.
Do I post it to roleplays straight away, or go to interest checks?
Am I doing decent World building, or am I making it up as I go along?
Is this really Original

B. I could wait for a roleplay that caught my eye, and invest time and a wonderful character that might be wasted in this particular roleplay.
Is my character too well developed for this roleplay? Not to be arrogant or snooty, but if it is an emotionally deep character that would require a lot of character-to-character interaction and deep-delving, is it suited to a high-school roleplay?

C. I left.

Exactly what it says on the tin

1.3 Wait, What’s a trope?
That feeling that you’ve seen this kind of thing before. A princess being captured, and she has to be saved by the hero(ine)(s). An evil Space Commander threatening Human kind, Or a few mental patients with non-serious ailments, which kind of just makes it a luvfest.

All of these are tropes. Sometimes, It’s good to use tropes so everybody involved with what you’re doing has a chance to be familiar with your concepts. Tropes are not clichĂ©, unless they are so obvious that they are distracting. I will be including Tropes that I have found on Roleplaygateway, but if you have one, post a comment with it in a similar format, and I’ll have a long discussion with myself to see if it’s common.

TL;DR Go back to top, this site is for people who have time on their hands and like to read and write. I did my part.

2.Roleplay General Tropes
2.1 Brief Explanation
These Tropes will only be concerning GM’s and the habits they have while crafting their roleplays.

2.2 Plot Tropes

Adolescents- Usually played for a drama roleplay. Adolescents are an amazing thing. They’re filled with unstable emotions, rage, cruelty, and carnal lust. Wonderful things for a melting pot eh!

This is in America...right?- When the setting of a roleplay does not include the place. It is usually assumed to be in the United States of America, because that must be where most of the user base is...right?

We’re bad guys, right?- Where the protagonists are villains, but the roleplayers are being railroaded into being good by the GM. Can be inversed

2.3 Genre Tropes
I haven’t really seen any, but if you have please post them!

2.4 Roleplay GM tropes

Another day, and we can start- Usually an excuse that signals that no matter how cool the Roleplay is, it’s never going to get off the ground, no matter how cool it is. Note that an extremely risky thing to do is to distinguish yourself as the Alpha Roleplayer and by simultaneously pissing on the GM and saving the roleplay. Make the first post yourself.

Face Claim- You decided to peek into a roleplay that’s flavor text seems pretty interesting. Hey, the introductions pretty grabbing too, and HEY! If you like picking out a character, that’s too bad. The GM has already done it for you. Unless, you think those faces are attractive. Which they should be.

Actually, this is in no way related- The Roleplay is obviously copied off of another roleplay, because they wanted to make things a little different. The GM of the original roleplay (i’m loosely defining “original” here though) challenges the second Roleplay GM, calling them out. The Second GM tries to shake off the situation, and the embarrassment because maybe their character sheet was cold-heartedly rejected, or while they think the idea is cool, it could be cooler. The solution? Pay attention to your own roleplays people. Patriotism (of an uncommon example) is important in these situations.

3.Character Tropes
3.1 Another Brief Explanation
These Tropes identify many character qualities that recur. Simple as that. The not so simple part is that the simpler characters are harder to find. Interesting.

3.2 Character Archetypes-Common

The Stealthy guy- Untouchable and undetectable with the five basic senses, The Stealthy guy always has the jump on anybody because of this presence of shadows and his doctrine of dressing in complete black.

Girl who was abused as a child- This chick came from a broken home, but she’s tough
 right? Mostly combined with the aspects of a Dandere that is hiding some emotional scars, but doesn’t want to let just anybody to know about them.

The Swordsmaster- A young adult with the blade knowledge of a master. This character might not have any training that would make satan cringe, or any katanas, but if they don’t have guns the opponent is an inclined plane wrapped around a cone.

The Ranger COUGHkatnissversionCOUGH- A “remorseless” hunter that only kills to survive, but is caught between their Morality. I.E. “I really want to be a pacifist, but I’m just defending myself.”

3.3 Character Archetypes-Rare

Adopted- Exactly what it says on the tin

Benevolent One- This Character is kind, merciful,graceful, and does not seem to be condescending to boot.

Fighter- No magic, no stealth, this character just wants to use some martial weapons to beat the opponent black and blue.

Eager Apprentice- The Student who doesn’t know much, and is always willing to humbly learn from a superior mind. Key word is Humble

Sangry Barbarian- Also known as the Frustrated Barbarian. This character is constantly angry and looking for fights. This is because of anything from Repressed emotions, a lack of answers of their real parents

3.4 Character Archetypes-Inventive
Because they’re inventive, they’re not tropes, but put a shout out in the comments about a certain character of yours and I might put it in here. After every five i’ll put in one of mine, because goals motivate people
 right?

3.5 Character Archetypes-Not Really In Good Taste
The Half-anything- It doesn’t matter if you’re half elf, orc, german, japanese, american, canadian, british, alien, blue alien, red alien, and especially Demon and Dragon. Half-breeds are used because the character will have a problem of “Where do I belong?” This is often not treated as a bastard child subject, but more of a “I’m really cool. Of course both my parents love me.”

Scythe Master- One must truly be blessed by something to never have seen a scythe wielding character. It’s not that we don’t like you exactly Scythe Gal, it’s just that we don’t see the scythe as a viable weapon because of well, Physics.

The mysterious man who doesn’t know he’s full of himself- exactly what is says on the tin

Spirit talker- The spirit talker usually spends more time talking to ghosts than other characters, which kills interaction

The Werewolf- This is specifically the werewolf, and more specifically, the Twilight Werewolf. Prior to that wretched book series, it was accepted that Werewolves did not control their changes, it is was a painful process, and that they had no control over themselves.

The Vampire- Vampires appear to be in their mid-30’s to 40’s, and require the consumption of blood. Drinking blood is why you should be making

Thanks for getting all the way to the bottom! Now post a Trope Below!
Once more, with rhythm!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

PulseTrick
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!