Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Need an RP system

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Need an RP system

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TGTristan on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:20 am

I have a total of 15 couples that are split between two people, so me and my partner would need to roleplay 15 characters each, which neither of us want to do. Basically, the plan is to use ALL 15 couples in an AU roleplay where all of them meet up to play in a survival game with different Challanges all centered aroud different couples (i.e. if we had an OCD couple, one of the challanges might be to organize some things perfectly to win, while another challange might be to mess everything up entirely, etc.). 

Also, we do have characters that are alike (two of my characters are fathers and both very meek and shy, and I feel like if they met, they would get along really well) and one of my ideas was to pair the ones who would get along into teams, but there’s not much more to it than that. How can we simplify this concept?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TGTristan
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter

Re: Need an RP System

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 am

Shift focus per arc. Instead of writing all 30 characters with equal detail each and every round, focus on 2-3 couples per challenge and only very globally describe how the others have been doing for future reference. Then for the next round, swap it up. Pick a new couple to play with and do it all over again.

You mentioned it's a survival game, so I assume you're going to be killing a lot of characters off. You can use the first couple rounds as build-up and development and make all the big drama events and plot twists happen when there's less characters to be potentially involved. This makes the management much easier.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Need an RP system

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:38 am

Hey TGTristan.

That font is difficult to read. I nearly deleted your post for spam. I would be much appreciative if you refrained from using it in following replies.

In regards to your request for help, I'm not certain what you need simplified, but here is my best advice:

You have 15 couples, but you and your partner don't want to play 15 characters each. The only solution I can see is to recruit more writers or get rid of some of the characters. Kestrel's solution is a much more elegant approach.

The concept itself seems pretty simple. If you don't want to match the characters up yourselves I'd suggest assigning each character a number (1-30) and then use some kind of dice generator to pair them up, obviously re-rolling if the number is taken. A quick google search found this one.

Hope that helps,

- Mod

Modesty
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!