Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A rough idea, but it needs polished up. Looking for help.

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

A rough idea, but it needs polished up. Looking for help.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ohhhhhallibaba on Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:54 am

So, this is my, for lack of a better term, "World Domination," roleplay I posted about earlier this week, and I've come up with a few ideas. It's actually coming together really well...sort of.

So here's the basics...

You get your own country, and get to customise it as you choose. There are three types of country. Military-run, political-run, and economicily-run. There are two types of goverment. Dictatorship, and democracy. That's basically all that I have, and can't think of anything else that might be important...but here's the skeleton.

NOTE-THIS ROLEPLAY HAS NOT STARTED YET, SO DO NOT SIGN UP!

Username-
Name-(Your charrie will give the orders and such. Can give appearence if you like, but don't think it will matter honestly)
Country name-
Goverment Type-
Country Type-

That's it really, but let me break everything down. Well, just the country types...

Military-Run: Strong military, decent economy, poor politics

Political-Run: Strong politics, decent economy, poor military

Economy-Run: Strong economy, decent military, decent military

I'll try to make it more even as I work on it.

So anyways, in addition to the above information, there's the stuff I've had before. It's a mideval fantasy setting, so it will be using hand to hand combat, and possibly ship battles. I haven't decided yet.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

"RolePlayGateway is proudly powered by obscene amounts of caffeine, duct tape,..." <--Ever notice this at the bottom of the page?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: A rough idea, but it needs polished up. Looking for help.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Corpus on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:30 am

My Ideas:

Military-Run: Strong military, weak economy, decent politics

Political-Run: Strong politics, decent economy, decent military

Economy-Run: Strong economy, decent military, weakmilitary

Dictatorship- Military and Politics +1, Economy -1

Democracy- Economy +2. Military and Politics -1

Rankings:
Non-existant = 0
Weak = 1
Decent = 2
Strong = 3
Modern = 4
Futuristic = 5

Based on points? Everyday you gain _ points? Alliance = 10 from each side, NAP = 8? Alliances/NAPs can be terminated with 5 points.

War= Winner points-loser points. Ex: Bob (12pts) attacks Bill (11pts) = Bob (1pts+stole 1 economy point) Bill (0pts+lost 1 economy point)

Economic Points= 2 Economic Points=1 Militaric Point.

You should also include science.
Ex: Lv2 tech=military pts do 1.2X damage
Lv3 tech=military pts do 1.4X damage, etc.
And you need 5 economic points to gain +1 tech, then 10pts, etc.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Corpus
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lamentations on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:02 am

This sounds very cool ^^. Though I dont have many ideas sadily -.-

Lamentations
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kingmonkey+1 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:10 am

I don't mean to demean, but it's fairly restrictive in terms of government types. There are such a broad array of styles of governing, each with it's own merits and flaws. It might almost be worthwhile to let players come up with their own style of control, then assign the merits and flaws based on your assessment of their choice.

For example, let's say you choose a constitutional monarchy. Suddenly you have one head of state, and a democratically ratified constitution by which the king or queen must abide.

You could have a theocracy, wherein the ruler is either a supreme pontiff or cleric, or someone who claims to be an avatar of God. In this case, you have a nation of religious zealots with all the strengths and weaknesses inherent therein.

Players could choose their own style of government, and you could then dictate where their bonuses and failings lie, based on their description.

This may take longer to create character profiles, but it would give more freedom to the players, and a greater diversity and richness of realism.

In theory.
I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker, I get my lovin' from your mom.

kingmonkey+1
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

I never really thought of that. And, just for the record, it wasn't demeaning.

Geez, everyone on RPGTWY is just so smart! COOKIES FOR EVERYONE!

So, based on what Kingmonkey said, the skeleton would now look something like this...

Username-
Name-
Country Name-
Country Type-
Goverment Type-(Give description)

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kingmonkey+1 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:02 pm

Also of help is to decide what the country's main economic product is. Is it an agrarian nation with a bountiful food supply? Is the main export technology?

I would also recommend you gte some basic statistical details. Take a look at Wikipedia, for example and pull up any country. They give a nice, brief description of some important statistics on the right hand side. For example

CANADA
Motto: A Mari Usque Ad Mare (Latin) "From Sea to Sea"
Anthem: "O Canada"
Royal anthem: "God Save the Queen"

Capital: Ottawa
Largest city: Toronto
Official languages: English, French
Recognised regional languages: Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun, Cree, Dëne Sųłiné, Gwich’in, Inuvialuktun, Slavey, Tłįchǫ Yatiì
Ethnic groups: 28% British, 23% French, 3.5% Aboriginal peoples, 47% other
Demonym: Canadian
Government: Parliamentary democracy and Constitutional monarchy
- Monarch Elizabeth II
- Governor General Michaëlle Jean
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper
Area
- Total 9,984,670 km² (2nd) 3,854,085 sq mi
- Water (%) 8.92 (891,163 km²/344,080 mi²)
Population
- 2008 estimate 33,352,000[1] (36th)
- Density 3.2/km² (219th) 8.3/sq mi
GDP (nominal) 2007 estimate
- Total $1.432 trillion [3] (9th)
Currency Dollar ($) (CAD)

kingmonkey+1
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kingmonkey+1 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:13 pm

It seems like a lot at first, but let's see how it looks once we've filled in our own data. As an example of using this format, here is a sample country, purely for test purposes.

KNUCKLEVANIA
Motto: "There's a Shoe in my Soup."
Anthem: "O Knuckles of Heaven"

Capital: Tongue City
Largest city: Tongue City
Official languages: Knucklese, Esperanto
Recognised regional languages: Legalese, 1337speak
Ethnic groups: 99% Blindian, 1% One-eyelander.
Demonym: Knucklehead
Government: Enlightened Dictatorship (Basically one dictator who acts in the genuine best interest of his people, or at least what he believes is genuinely in the best interest of his people. His intentions are good, but subjective, and not necessarily agreed upon by the majority.)
- Knuckles McGillicuddy
Area
- Total 3,288,150 km²
- Water (%) 12.42
Population
- 2008 estimate 9,220,000
- Density 2.8/km² **Take your Population divided by the Area to see how many people you have per square kilometre (or mile, if you prefer)**
Gross Domestic Product (nominal) 2007 estimate
- Total $432 billion
Currency: Knuck (♣) KNU

Too much info? It doesn't even take into account what type of economy I have, what type of geography comprises the nation, or more ephemeral qualities, such as national ideology, religions, or political situation. Still, the more info you have, the less you have to fake during the game, right?

kingmonkey+1
Member for 16 years

See, it's all coming together now! HORRAY!!!

Sorry...had a moment...

I see what you're getting at. Very little information is kind of boring, and more detailed information does make it seem realistic. I just don't want to overwhelm everyone with a skeleton that's the size of a book, ya know? So we have to have a good amount of information, but not to much information.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Corpus on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:41 am

Yeah, this game needs more choices...
So:
Economy
Military
Politics
Religion? (could affect morale...)
Consent? (how happy your civilians are...may lead to higher productivity or civil war)

any more ideas?

But for the land area, language, ethnic groups, and anthem, I don't think we need those.

Corpus
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

No, I probably will need to draw up a map. I could draw the map, and label the different countries 1-? and let them pick where they want their country to be. Position could be really helpfull when attacking.

Example-

If a country is a giant island, a naval attack would be best.

A country surrounded by mountains, you would have the advantage of using their high pints against him.

ohhhhhallibaba
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kingmonkey+1 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Also bear in mind one thing I've noticed wrong with other RPs of this type; not all nations control their entire landmass. Every other RP that I've seen (and I'm sure there are others that I haven't which are counter to those I've seen) has each land mass simplistically owned by one nation. In reality, most land masses are divided into separate nations, with few exceptions.

The most action would be seen in nations who are immediately adjacent to several other countries.

kingmonkey+1
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ponats on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:14 pm

Could have other roles for players to partake in, like a vice president or a general for a player's kingdom.

Could also have "rebelling" rolls for players in other player's countries. This makes interesting negotiations and possible splitting of nations. (Players who are rebelling might want democracy and the neighboring country likes democracy, so the rebels join up with the neighboring country.)

Just ideas I had.
Meh.

Ponats
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blast on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:58 pm

My impression is that you're putting too much emphasis on a stablock-esque entry. It's appealing to weed out the lazy types, but it by itself is only really effective in that if you go into great detail.

What's better is to have a general statblock where the major points are stated, and then a comparatively long set of topics in the same post (I don't think anyone has enough data for whole separate articles, myself included), including demographics, economy, government/politics, military, culture and most importantly history. A nation is nothing without a detailed past.

I love Ponats' idea. I've always liked games where you could get in on the tactical or strategic level and concentrate only on that level.

As far as the map goes, I have a program on my other computer called Fractal Terrains. If I can get the basic feel of a planet (water percentage, landmass size, how warm or cold it's supposed to be, etc.), I can whip one up.

Blast
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kingmonkey+1 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:57 am

Blast makes the most important point. Each country needs to have a detailed history. I've seen a few of this type of RP where every country is just a generic nation with no authenticity to it.

kingmonkey+1
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!