Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

BloodLines *one on one*

a topic in Vampire Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

Re: BloodLines *one on one*

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:46 pm

Once Lucas had fixed her up, Jennifer hopped off the bed, eager to leave after their little conversation. She really wanted to put a little space between them so that she had some time to gather her thoughts and process exactly how she was going to stop her potential feelings from developing. Right now she knew that she liked Lucas but that was how it had to stay, she could go no further than that. "Thank you," she smiled at him, gently placing her hand on his extended arm briefly before letting it drop again. "But I actually have to go. So.. I'll see you around?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And see Lucas around she did. Over the next few weeks that followed their accidental meeting, Jen found that she fell into semi-regular contact with Lucas, that semi-regular contact more often than not involving them hooking up. She found that his company had quickly become a welcome break from her ordinary life and she sometimes felt as though she were two different people. By day she was ordinary Jennifer who worked two jobs and struggled to keep up with the rent and by night she was exciting Jennifer who met with a man she barely knew in secret, to do things that made her feel better than she had ever felt. Nobody Jen knew, knew about Lucas, not even Mia and she often made sure that she met him away from work or at his place so as not to set off the rumour mill again. Jennifer wasn't ashamed of the arrangement but they had both agreed that it was simply easier for the both of them if people didn't know.

Although when they met it was usually for physical pleasure, Jen found that the more they saw of each other, the easier their conversations became. She looked forward to chatting to Lucas around their intimacy and sometimes she found that she would ring him at the end of the working day just to break up the week a little. She felt as though she was maybe pushing herself a little close to the line that he had drawn regarding their relationship and on occasion, Jen struggled to control her emotions around him. Lucas intrigued her in a way that nobody else did, he was gentle and caring when they were together but he seemed to so easily be able to cut off from her, so she never fully knew where she was with him. But this, she found, is what she liked. He kept her on her toes - she still didn't know a great deal about him and part of her wanted to solve the mystery. For the most part though, she was managing to keep good on their agreement of no strings attached and she simply welcomed their meetings as a nice break from reality rather than anything more. For the most part. She was only human, after all.

On this particular evening, Jennifer had finished her shift at the bar. It was 1am and she was walking home, somewhat disappointed that she had not heard from Lucas this evening, although she had to remind herself that she had only spoken to him two nights before. They would often go a few days without any contact, although she found that she didn't particularly enjoy these gaps and filled them by looking forward to the next time he rang. As someone who didn't have much going on in her life, Jen hadn't realised how much she had needed something different until it had been thrust upon her. And now she had it, she didn't ever want it to change. Although she knew that at some point it must, but this was a reminder to herself that she generally tried to avoid.

Once she arrived back at her building, she climbed the three flights of stairs to her flat and pushed open her door, locking it behind her. She kicked off her shoes and poured herself a large glass of wine before reclining on the sofa, eyes on the ceiling, phone laid on her chest. She was trying to decide whether to call Lucas and invite him over or wait, and see if he contacted her. She didn't usually ring him to organise a meeting and often let him decide on when they should see each other, but for some reason, tonight she felt differently. She hadn't actually invited him back to her place yet and thought at some point this was a hurdle she needed to get out of the way. Although on the outside her home looked unwelcoming, inside she had made it her own. Fairy lights were dotted around each room and pieces of art printed onto postcards were placed into frames and hung on the walls. She had a few half-dead plants hanging from curtain rails and placed on windowsills, and some personal items dotted around on little shelves. All in all she had done fairly well in making a cramped space seem homely. It wasn't much, but it was hers.

Picking her phone up again she glanced at the screen before taking another sip from her drink. It was late, but she knew that he would be awake, he usually was at this time. To call or not to call, that was the question.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Greeter Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:16 am

Lucas was lost. So much had happened in the past 24-hours and he was as shaky as a heroin addict off his dose. Shocked would be putting it mildly. Never in his wildest dreams would he thought that Corren would hurt someone in the coven simply for agreeing with him and trying to make the vampire see reason. Every time Lucas closed his eyes, the bloody scene relived itself.

“Sire I most insist-“

“I said no, Lucas. Your betrothal and the terms of such are final!” Corren hissed, his bright eyes narrowed in anger. “I don’t care how well thought out your petition, what strings you pulled, or what logical you give me, this is not up for discussion! You are not the Sire of this coven and my word is law! You will marry her, release your claim as cove head, denounce your family name, and be grateful I even proposed a match for you. And since you keep pushing your luck, I have reconsidered your plan of expansion of the blood bank and determined we will not move ahead with it.”

“But Sire!”

“Sire, if you would grant me a boon,” Theodore interjected as he stepped forward beside Lucas and bowed his head. “Lucas’s idea on the expansion was a good one. I find it unfair-“

Corren reached out, lightning quick and grabbed Theodore by the mouth and slammed the other vampire into the wall. Theodore tried to cry out against Corren's hand as he struggled against the stronger vampire but Corren's grip tightened while Lucas watched stunned. Theodore gave a muffled scream when Corren shattered his jaw. He ignored the claw marks Theodore left on his restraining hand while his free one reached forward and blinded Theodore. Corren wasn't done. He bit down into the vampire's neck but he didn't drink. Instead he injected a venom that only the heads of the coven developed that stopped a vampire's natural healing abilities. Theodore managed to strike Corren to try and get him off, but Corren only gripped the arm and snapped the bone in his upper arm. When he was done, he threw Theodore to the ground at Lucas's feet. Luas dropped beside his friend, shaking as he stared down at the bloody mess Corren had made of his jaw and eyes. He was afraid to touch the injured vampire, least he hurt him more. It was painful to see Theodore curl in on himself and gingerly reach up to his face.

"I injected venom into his wound. It will take years before he heals from his injuries. Take this as your last warning, Lucas. You are the black sheep of the entire vampire race. You have no standing in this coven and you will not contradict or disobey me again. If you so much as dare speak up out of turn or try and weasel your way out of your arrangements, you'll find your friends reduced to ash. Do I may myself clear?" Corren snarled.

"Y-yes Sire."

"You are a Pyrrha. Be grateful I haven't killed you all these years like the Council begged. Get out, this conversation is over."

Lucas shivered and tears came to his eyes once more. Lucas had few friends and Theodore was his best friend. He hated that he'd caused him such great pain. Human pain medications did not work on vampires. Lucas and carried his friend home admits his pain and cared for his injuries as best he could and watched as the vampire eventually dropped into unrestful sleep. Theodore's sister was watching him now and he'd all been thrown out of the house for his part to play in this. He didn't know what to do and he was feeling very alone, disoriented, and scared. He didn't know what to do, where to go or who to go to. He didn't want anyone else hurt because of him.

His mind inadvertently turned to his human companion. She was detached from the vampire world. No one knew about her. He could go to her. Lucas knew he shouldn't say anything to her but right then, he was feeling more vulnerable than he'd ever felt and he didn't want to be alone. She wouldn't judge him like the others in the coven would. Word would spread and he doubted anyone would lend him a sympathetic ear after this. Not even his mother. Especially not his mother.

Lucas hesitated a moment before he picked up his phone and dialed her number. He pinched the bridge of his nose to try and rid some of the tension there and stop the sob he felt coming on. When he heard her pick up, he cleared his throat. "H-hey, Jen, can I... come over? I am close by to where I think your house was but I don't remember. I... don't want to be alone right now."
I make polymer and apoxie sculptures (mostly dragons) and I take commissions. Interested? Take a peak at my shop:https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClayLeafCreations

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am

Jennifer had only just closed her eyes momentarily when the buzz of her phone made her jump, some of her wine tripping over the rim of her glass and landing with a splash on her shirt. "Oh shit," she grumbled to herself, grappling with her glass and her phone as she tried to answer it before it rang off. "Hello?" she breathed into it eventually, her breath catching in her throat momentarily when she heard who she thought was Lucas on the other end of the line. It sounded like him... but it didn't. His voice sounded tight, as though he was in some kind of pain. "Lucas?" Jen could feel a concerned frown etching into her features as she stood up from the sofa, gripping the phone a little tighter to her ear.

"Yes, yes of course you can. Hang on a second, I'll text you the address." She did this quickly her hands feeling a little shaky. "Okay I've sent that to you now. When you get here the front door... well it's broken so you can just enter the building without me needing to buzz you in. I'm on the third floor, number 24. I'll unlock the door so you can just let yourself in when you get here."

The next five minutes passed by in a blur; Jen hopped into the shower and hopped out again, changing into an old band tee and some shorts, her hair pinned up on top of her head with a clip. She found that she was flitting between trying to busy herself with tidying up areas of her flat that didn't need tidying, and pacing anxiously as she waited for Lucas's arrival, about a hundred thoughts a minute whirring around in her mind. She kept replaying his voice in her head - she had never heard him sound like that, as though he was struggling to speak and Jen wasn't quite sure how to process it. She didn't know anything about his personal life, so how could she even begin to guess what might have happened to him, to put him in a state that was very different to the Lucas she usually knew? Would he want to confide in her? Did he just need comfort sex? She didn't know, but rightly or wrongly she found that she was willing to be anything that he needed, as she came to a stop in front of the door as it was pushed open.

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Greeter Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:56 pm

"Thanks," Lucas answered before he hung up the phone and threw it down in his passenger seat. He rested his head on the steering wheel for a moment to collect himself. Calm. Calm. A vampire he may be, but he didn't want to have an accident either. He could still inadvertently kill himself if something stabbed him. When he felt calm again, he glanced at the address Jen had given him and headed to her place. It wasn't a long drive which he was thankful for. He had no idea what he was going to say to her, but he didn't want to go back home.

He made it quickly to her door and pushed the door open and was surprised to see Jen was standing at the door. Had she been waiting for him or just checking the door? "Hey," he said softly as he shut the door. He ran a hand through his hair and looked her up and down. She'd just showered. He liked the soap she used. It reminded him magnolias. They were his favorite flowers. He wanted to bury his face against her neck and just take in her scent. He hesitated only a moment before he did just that. He approached and wrapped his arms around her and pressed his face against her neck and closed his eyes. He let the smell of her skin, the soap, and her heartbeat lul him into remaining calm. It was the strangest thought, but he felt a odd comfort and safety in her arms. There was nothing she could to to actually help or protect him, but it was a nice feeling just the same. She was a solace he had nowhere else.

"Thank you," he said then. "I've... I've had a really bad night. I am sorry for calling you so late, such short notice."

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:18 am

At the sight of Lucas as he stepped into the flat, Jen could feel the concern that she had felt earlier intensify. He looked... drained and there was an expression in his eyes that she couldn't quite recognise. "Hi," she greeted him gently in return, letting him make the first move towards her before she instinctively moved to meet him, her own arms wrapping him into a soft embrace, her hands placed gently on his back as she held him close to her. She had to move onto her toes slightly so she could hold him properly, as Lucas was maybe a head taller than she was, and without thought one of her hands stroked his back, as though this action alone could rid some of the pain he was feeling. She inhaled into his shoulder, taking in his own scent of mint mixed with some kind of aftershave, that had become somewhat of a comfort to her. “You don't need to be sorry,” she whispered in response to him, trying to refrain from directly asking Lucas what was wrong. For him to come to her, whatever had happened must be pretty bad she thought. He had always been seemingly against this kind of thing between them and he had certainly never confided in her before. Because of this, Jen didn't want to push him to speak about something that was clearly bothering him, but at the same time she wanted him to know that he could talk to her, if that was something that he wanted to do.

After what felt like an age, Jennifer gently placed a small kiss on his shoulder before she withdrew from their hug, taking him by the hand then and leading him into the lounge. It was a small studio space that was shared between a living area and the kitchen, and she gestured for Lucas to take a seat. "Just make yourself at home," she offered softly. "Can I get you anything?" Internally, Jen was struggling with knowing how to handle this turn of events that she hadn't been expecting; for a whole month she had been telling herself to switch off her emotions to him but now she needed to do the opposite and she wasn't sure what kind of long-lasting effects this may have on their arrangement. But then as she looked at Lucas again, she realised that really, none of this mattered right now. She just wanted him to feel better.

Gently taking a seat beside him, Jen took his nearest hand into her own two. "Look, Lucas... I know we have this whole arrangement between us but if you ever need to talk... I'm a good listener," she offered. "Or so I've been told." She smiled a little then, thinking back to all of the times she had sat and comforted Mia through numerous break ups. Although she was sure whatever had happened to Lucas was much more serious than that, she at least had some practice at being the supporter. It was being supported that she wasn't so good at. "Whatever it is you need," she continued softly, but with perseverance. "To talk... to just watch a movie, to go to bed..." She moved her hand then to cup his cheek, gently tilting his face towards her so that she could see him, her thumb stroking across his skin. "I can be here for you if you'll let me. I want to help." Jen saw this as some kind of invitation - she didn't want to pressure Lucas by asking him outright to tell her what had happened if he didn't want to, but at least he could know the option was there if he needed it.

As Jen searched his features, part of her felt scared that he might reject her offer; maybe this was too much, too close to what he had told her he didn't want. But right now she found that she didn't really care, she just wanted to at least ease some of the turmoil he was so obviously experiencing and she could deal with the consequences of her words later. She just wanted him to know that she cared, even if he thought that she shouldn't.

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:50 am

Lucas let Jen lead him to her couch and sat down. He sighed softly and ran a hand through his hair trying to release some of the tension. He didn't know what to do, what to say, and he really didn't know what he wanted. There was just much wrong in his situation that he didn't even know where to begin or what he should say. The others would laugh that he'd come to a human for comfort but she was neutral and had helped him before when all he needed was warm arms around him so he could forget. He wanted to forget but he knew sex right would not help him. He was overwhelmed. The images would only sour their intimacy.

"I am not hungry or thirsty," he answered her question. When Jen began to speak to him, he glanced at her and didn't pull away when she directed his face towards her. The sentiment was nice and his heart ached. He could tell in her eyes that she cared. The gentleness and inviting words made him feel warm. He shouldn't feel this way but he was too tired to analyze the situation critically and create distance. He wanted comfort and she was offering it to him. He leaned closer until he wrapped his arms around her waist and held her close. He rested his head on top of hers and just stared at the wall.

"I don't know what to say," he answered after a pause. There was so much he couldn't tell her. But he desperately needed to talk about it and get it out of his system. "I... it's my fault," he whispered then. "My best friend, my only real friend, he was hurt... very badly because of me." He swallowed hard as tears filled his eyes again and he had to close them, his arms tightened around her. "I couldn't do anything to help him or stop it. His family threw me out and I don't blame them. He probably hates me now too." He still couldn't believe Corren had gone to such lengths to silence him. He hadn't even challenged his leadership or anything. It had been a drastic punishment and now if he ever brought up anything for himself or the coven, someone he cared for would be killed.

His thoughts immediately went to his mother who was bending over backwards to Corren to save him in any way. Corren had made a cowed servant out of a woman who'd once been feared and respected. Why did the coven and Corren hate him so much? He had been just a fledgling when his father had been in power. He'd had nothing to do with his project or humans or anything. And yet, all the ire they held for his father had been placed on him. He wanted to leave the coven but no coven would take him in and he couldn't leave his mother behind and she would never leave.

"I don't know what to do," he said in a whisper.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:36 am

Much like Lucas, but for very different reasons, Jen was struggling with what to say. She listened without responding for the most part, and let him pull her into him, her own arms finding their way around his torso as she cuddled into his side. For a long while after he had stopped speaking, Jen sat in silence as she tried to take in what he was telling her. There were things he was holding back, she was sure of it but she didn't want to push him if he wasn't ready to tell her. Yet the inquisitive part of her yelled questions inside her own head and she mentally had to sift through which would be the most appropriate, or the most helpful to ask. She tried not to wince when he described his friend as his only real friend, and wondered distractedly what she was to him. Although she found that with this thought she internally reprimanded herself for thinking so selfishly at a time like this.

“You can tell me anything,” she offered quietly after a while, in response to his uncertainty. And she meant it, although of course she had no idea what she was opening herself up to with that statement. After another brief silence, she asked, “What happened to him?", as she tried to process the glimmer of the story he had allowed her. "Lucas, if you couldn't help or stop it, you can't blame yourself. Maybe your friend, and his family, will come to realise that too, in time." She chewed on her bottom lip as she tried to grasp for other things to say to provide some level of comfort, but without knowing the ins and outs of it all, she found that saying anything at all helpful was difficult. She so desperately wanted to help him though that she simply clung onto him for as long as he needed her. His words sounded empty, which matched the look in his eyes from earlier and Jen felt herself helplessly trying to think of new ways that might make him feel even just a touch better.

"Maybe... Maybe there's nothing that you can do right now," she suggested gently. "It might help to just... give it some time. Let yourself, and your friend heal. If he's with his family he's probably in the best place for him." But where is the best place for you, she wanted to ask him and stopped herself, because even Lucas probably didn't know that right now. As they fell into another silence Jennifer scrabbled around in her own memories for any clues that he might have given her as to what could have caused such a bad thing to happen to him. But she could think of nothing other than... Suddenly, with a dawning realisation, Jen thought back to their meeting in the blood bank and remembered Lucas's warning about Corren. It was the only time since they had been meeting that he had ever seemed remotely worried about anything. Did she dare ask if it was to do with him?

"Lucas... Did that man from the blood bank have anything to do with this? Are you in some kind of trouble?"

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:13 pm

She was right that there was little he could do now. He would stay by his side and aid him as best as he could. Corren insured he'd remain blind, his jaw and arm broken for years. Theodore was going to need assistance with drinking, moving, doing anything for a while. Of course he had his family to help him, but Lucas wanted to be by his side as Theodore had been by his for years. Theodore always stood up for him, reached a hand out to him and consoled him when his father and brother were taken from him. Theodore's family was a strong bloodline and had been a strong power among the covens so he could get away with things that Lucas could not. For Corren to maim the their heir... was Corren going insane or did he just hate Lucas that much that he'd retaliate against his faithful supporter?

At Jen's questions and statements, he didn't know how best to explain it. "He was hurt because... I said and did something and he tried to help me and got hurt for it." The was vague and to the point. Gosh he wished he could tell her anything and everything but even still she was just a human. He could not let her into the world of his coven. When she suddenly asked about Corren's involvement, his eyes widened and he looked over to her, his body tensing. "How did you-" oh wait, the blood bank. He'd forgotten she'd seen him there and their discussion about avoiding him. He hesitated before he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Yes. But you cannot do anything to interfere. Our family network is complicated. The best way I can describe it is... it's like a mafia. It's not, but that's how I can describe it. We deal with out own problems without police involvement. I spoke out against Corren and Corren... he punished my friend for it as a warning." He pulled his arms away to sit forward more on the couch as the thoughts raced in his head, his fingers idly toying with the engagement ring he'd been given to wear. He stared at the table exhilarated and nervous at how much he had said to her about their family dynamic. It felt good to talk about it, even if it made him nervous.

"This is why I... I didn't want to bring you into my personal affairs. I don't want you to get hurt. Corren just... just maimed my best friend whose been at my side for years. I don't want to think of what he might do to you. My life is complicated and there is so much going on that I can't tell you though I want to. I've probably already said to much and I shouldn't be here, but I just... I didn't want to be alone. Your company makes me feel better." Without realizing, he'd let slip that in truth, he had growing affection and trust for the human. Their trysts had become for him.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:00 pm

As he released more information about the event, Jennifer could only listen, her emotions sitting somewhere between horrified and confused. When he sat forwards she let herself sit backwards, the back of her head resting against the top of the sofa. Her pale eyes studied the cracks in the ceiling above them, as her eyebrows knitted into a frown, a permanent expression on her features these days. She thought back to how intimidating Corren had looked that day at the bank and could hardly hold in a shudder as she thought of him hurting Lucas's friend, or even worse Lucas himself. She watched him react in shock when she mentioned Corren and he seemed to become even more tense than before, which Jen blamed herself for. She was pushing too hard and it really didn't look like she was helping him.

When he told her not to interfere, she stayed quiet for a while. She would have loved nothing more than to call the police, but of course she would never take it upon herself to get involved. If she was completely honest, everything that he was telling her scared her. She felt scared for him and she felt a little scared for herself, but she wouldn't let Lucas know that. She'd watched television shows about gangs and the mafia and it was so far from anything she was familiar with that it made her feel a little nauseous. She could only hope that when he said that's what his family was like, but not, that the not part was a positive thing. "I'm sorry that Corren did that to your friend," she said sadly. "He shouldn't be able to get away with things like that. It's not fair. And what if... what if he hurts you?" Jen had to close her own eyes then to stop horrific images from flashing through her own mind. It wasn't something she could think about without feeling a lot of discomfort, which worried her in itself.

At Lucas's next revelation though, Jen felt a little shock wave run through her. He didn't want to her to get hurt? This whole time, she thought he didn't want to get involved with her simply because she wasn't good enough. Maybe that highlighted more about her own insecurities than it did about his treatment of her, but as she looked over at him, she could feel a little ball of emotion catching in her throat. He had been trying to protect her this whole time? She leaned into him then, her head collapsing onto his shoulder, her skinny arm wrapping around his waist. "Lucas... I-I didn't know..." But then her voice trailed off as she caught sight of the engagement ring and instinctively her arm dropped away from him as she straightened and pulled back, her heart leaping from her chest. She didn't know what to do or say as she stared at his finger. This couldn't be happening right? There had to be some kind of explanation.

"Why... Why are you wearing an engagement ring?" She whispered.

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Lucas swallowed hard. He'd rather Corren hurt him than others around him. At least then his own actions meant pain for himself. He rubbed his hands together trying to figure out where to go from here. He was hurting, but he couldn't wallow in his grief. Wallowing would not help him figure out his next move. His choices were very limited. His best course of action was probably to shut up and do as Corren requested of him, get married, and stop bringing his ideas up for the coven. The thought itself hurt though. It meant he was giving up. Giving up his fight and letting Corren take everything from him anyway.

Theodore's agonizing breathing, his bloody and shaking body sent a lance through his heart however. Corren was going to get away with abusing his power but who would listen to the dishonored and disinherited heir? He was just a damned black sheep. He had no voice to go to the grand Council and considering Corren was a member, he couldn't go around his authority. Damn he wished he could talk to someone about this and get an outside perspective. Could he say it in a way that Jen would be able to help him? He'd normally go to Theodore but that was not an option right now.

When she suddenly pulled away from him, he looked over at her. His eyes widened and he glanced at the ring he now sported. Corren all but threatened to shove the ring down his throat if he did not wear it as proof of his agreement. to the match. Damn, he was going to lose his space here too, wasn't he? She was going to judge him or turn away because of this forced union.

"Corren arranged a marriage for me a little while ago. It was one of the things I was trying to get him to reconsider. Corren plans to have our wedding two months from now. I do not wish to marry her," he explained. "We are not a good fit and it is just another way for Corren to keep me controlled and subserviently. "I told you, my life is complicated." He sighed then as he stood. "Sorry... I really shouldn't have involved you. I did not mean to cause you more distress," he said, pulled back. He didn't want to deal with more rejection, so in an effort to protect himself, he was withdrawing into himself.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:16 am

As Lucas began to explain, Jen stood up herself, walking steadily to the window with her back to him, as an attempt to put some distance between them. She could feel tears pricking in her eyes as a release of emotions threatened to escape her. He did warn you, she told herself, he said it was complicated and he never made any kind of commitment to you. Although Jen never thought for a second that when he had warned her, it might be this bad. She had been kidding herself that whatever it was, she could handle, but right now she felt as though her grasp on sensibility was slipping away from her as she considered over and over again that Lucas was part of something that hurt people and he had also been engaged to someone else whilst sleeping with her. That last bit hurt, a lot, and Jen could feel a dull ache starting behind her left eye, as the makings of a headache started to grip onto her thoughts. With a long steady exhale, she unfolded her arms, trying to process all of the information he had given her. At least the engagement wasn’t something that he wanted, she wasn’t sure how she may have reacted if it was. Although it was with this thought that she realised just how controlled by Corren Lucas must be and she felt a pang of guilt for considering how this impacted on herself, which was nothing in comparison to how it was affecting him. This was so much worse for him and although her own feelings were trying to ravage any semblance of reason she had, Jen mentally started to compartmentalise them, drawing on an inner strength that she didn’t know she had. As she heard him stand as if making to leave, she turned back around to face him.

“Please don’t go,” she said softly, taking a couple of steps towards him but still maintaining some distance. “You should have told me, about the engagement. I deserved to know about that whilst we were sleeping together, even if it’s not something you want. Does your fiancé want the marriage to happen, or is it forced on both sides?” She would feel terrible if the answer to that question was yes and she hoped strongly that this would not be the case, just so she could ease some of the guilt she was feeling. As she thought about the engagement, Jen could feel it beginning to taint her memories of them together. But did she really have a right to be angry at him for hiding this from her? He had never promised her anything. They were both free to do whatever they wanted. But surely the line was drawn at engagement? Although did that still count if the engagement was arranged? They were in such unknown territory that Jen just didn’t know what to think, her expression a picture of anxiety as the same thoughts replayed over and over in her mind.

“Lucas, I don’t want to not know you. I can’t just switch off my feelings and let you go, even if that’s wrong of me, especially now that... you’re engaged. Nothing about this situation is normal, and it's not fair. Your life shouldn't be controlled by someone else." Jen tucked a few strands of loose hair behind her ear before continuing. "I told you, I want to help and that hasn’t changed since you first picked up the phone and called me.” She moved then so that she was stood in front of him. She felt scared to touch him as he looked so fragile, and was worried if she did he might shatter into little pieces. “I know I don’t know everything about you or your situation but I can’t let you just walk back into something that might really harm you. I couldn’t bear it if you got hurt.” Her voice caught on the last word of her sentence. She was letting him in now, more than she ever had done before. She didn’t want to complicate things for him or push him into something he didn’t want but she did want him to know that she was there, if he needed her.

“Is there anyone else that might be able to help you? Another family like yours perhaps, who don’t like Corren?”

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:44 am

Lucas sighed as he turned back to look at the human. "I do not know how she feels about the proposal. I haven't seen her in a couple of years," he answered. If he had to guess, she was either furious that she had to marry the black sheep of the vampire race and this was going to be hell for the both of them, or she was happy she'd get to control him and be part of destroying his family.
He couldn't fathom that she would somewhere in the middle. The times they did meet, she was happy to through her title and power around and wouldn't let you forget it.

When Jen started to profess feelings for him, Lucas found himself staring and a little tense. She was determined for a human and there was something in her eyes that called to him and touched something in his heart. She had no idea about who and what he really was and yet she roundly spoke of acceptance, of wanting to help him, to save him from his situation. It was touching in its sentiment. If only she could help. He reached up and caressed her cheek and then her lips with his thumb. If she had been a rogue vampire, perhaps he would have absconded with her and tried to hide from the covens, make a new life away from it all. The idea of turning her suddenly became a vivid fantasy as his eyes dropped to her throat.

No, he reminded himself. She had a family, a life here. He couldn't turn her. And even if she agreed and wanted it, it would her in danger. She'd only be a fledgling, new to her power as they tried to run. Corren would take great pleasure in destroying her. At least if she was human, he could try and keep their meetings secret and if Corren ever did find out, he couldn't prolong any agony by waiting for her to heal. It was mercenary approach, but he didn't want harm to come to the human who had shared and opened herself up to him and who now professed her desire to protect him.

"You can't change my family, Kitten..." he said softly, using an endearment he'd never used before. But that is what she reminded him of. A Ferocious feline but she was still so young and naïve, his little kitten. "This is how it has always been. Other cov- families may not wish to have anything to do with me, even if they hate Corren. Trying to get to them would raise suspicion. Corren would know if I suddenly left to seek them out. This has to be resolved within my own family. For now I'll probably just have to bite my tongue till he cools off."

He hesitated a moment then. "May we lay down? I just want to hold you." He may have to end this soon and until then, he wanted to pretend he was with her, no matter how scary the idea. He'd probably deny it if ever asked, but beneath his bravado and denial, he had fallen in love with this human.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:54 am

As she struggled to make sense of the idea of Lucas being engaged to someone who he hadn't seen for two years, Jen exhaled some of the tension she could feel building inside of her own head at the realisation that this was just a formal arrangement. Could she accept this situation if it truly was just a formality and nothing more? But where did that leave them? In a continuation of secret meetings that supposedly meant nothing to either of them? Jen didn't want that, but she was too scared to say anything different, lest she cause him any more pain or confusion. Although she felt that they were beyond their arrangement now, she was aware that it would probably have to suffice as it was, which was better than not having it at all. She was concerned about how quickly she had come to rely on Lucas, and the thought of losing him was becoming all to real an image in her mind. How had she allowed these feelings to develop so easily she wondered? Although on reflection, that was a question she could answer without much thought. She had instantly connected with him in ways she hadn't with nearly anyone else. It was strange how their first meeting had been coincidental but their meetings thereafter had quickly turned into something with more meaning.

Shaking her out of her thoughts, that she currently felt she was drowning in, was Lucas's gentle touch against her cheek. Jen stiffened at the sensation before relaxing into the feel of his fingers, her eyes fluttering closed as she allowed herself a moment of calm in amongst the chaos. It was strange the effect he had on her, and she wondered silently if he ever felt the same way about her. He was so difficult to read; sometimes she felt that she knew him better than anyone and other days like she didn't know him at all. As he spoke about Corren and his family, it was maybe the most open and vulnerable he had ever been and she felt as though she was seeing a different side to him that she never wanted to lose. She smiled in response to the pet name he had given her and she wondered idly if that meant anything at all or was it something else to give her false hope about his feelings?

"There must be something we can do," she replied glumly, a wave of helplessness washing through her. She refused to give up on Lucas and found that there was a burning intensity within her that was desperate to make it all go away for him. "We can't just let this happen to you... Could I speak to them? Would they listen to an outsider?" Of course, Jen had no idea what she was offering to step into; the whole idea of his family being as he had described them seemed ludicrous to her, and that was without her knowing what they really were. At Lucas's next question however, her stubborn resolve faltered at the softness in his voice. Her anger melted away and she was left with a rawness of emotion that was almost too much for her to conceal. "We shouldn't..." she whispered, flickering her light gaze to the floor so that he couldn't see her eyes, that had suddenly filled with an undeniable guilt. She had never wanted something that was wrong so badly than she did in that moment, and an internal battle raged on in her head as she tried to decide whether to give into her desires. He's engaged, you shouldn't...

But she wasn't strong enough not to. She felt tired and drained and suddenly she needed him now almost as much as he had needed her. She glanced back up at him then, defeat evident in her eyes as she nodded and then quietly lead him into the bedroom. She knew there were still things that they needed to discuss but right now she just wanted to feel safe, and as ironic as it was given his thoughts a few moments ago, there was nowhere she felt safer than when she was with him.

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:07 am

"No, they will not listen to you. And you would be harmed. I can't let that happen," he said softly. They'd drain her without a thought and probably let him burn in the sun for he 'treachery'. It would be simple to say he was just like his father; he had too much heart for the humans. He sighed softly and watched the turmoil in her gaze. He didn't want to cause her pain but his involvement with her would always leave them both wanting things they couldn't have. It was painful just as much as it was peaceful.

When she gave in, he followed her to her room. He initially intended just to hold her in his arms and glean comfort in her warmth. But, they did end up moving past that. Their union this time was far more gentle and passionate than their previous trysts; it was loving. They both wanted comfort and love and an expression of true feelings from both of them. It was making love rather simply getting off. When it
was over, Lucas lay beside her and wrapped her in his arms. They were both flushed and warm and he hadn't felt so at peace in a while. Things would work out eventually. He closed his eyes and ran idle fingers over her arm and took in her scent, now mingled with his own. He didn't want to let her go or let anything else in at that moment.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:26 pm

One week had passed since Lucas had met Jen at her apartment but it felt more like a year to her, as she hopped out of a cab that had just pulled into the grounds of a beautiful stately home. The building looked glorious against a backdrop of luscious green gardens and ornate fountains, and Jennifer found that she immediately felt out of place as she wandered up the entrance steps in her work uniform, people bustling around her as they hurried to prepare the setting for the arrival of the guests. This opportunity had been a last minute thing that Mia had roped her into this weekend, and she had reluctantly agreed to work a shift as a favour. Although, as the pressure of increased rent was also playing on Jen's mind she found that she simply couldn't afford to turn down the offer either.

As she entered the building, she was quickly ushered into one of the back rooms by one of the managers and instructed to place her things in one of the lockers provided. She was given a name badge to wear as the man silently observed her appearance, deciding that it was satisfactory with a swift nod before leading her to her station. As Jennifer followed him through the opulent rooms, she found herself stifling a yawn and trying to blink some moisture back into her eyes that felt dry and scratchy with tiredness. In the last few days she had suffered from several sleepless nights as nightmares plagued her unconsciousness. She had woken up in a cold sweat, muffling her own screams on more than one occasion as images of blood and death flooded her thoughts. These images often consisted of multiple random flashes of pain that she couldn't make any sense out of. On occasion she saw people she knew, on more than one occasion she saw Lucas, and on every occasion she saw herself but not as she knew herself to be. The differences were subtle, but enough to cause her a lot of stress and discomfort and she wondered if these disturbances were simply some kind of reaction to the discussion she had had with Lucas a few days earlier. That is when they had started.

Since they had spent the night together, Jen hadn't heard much from Lucas which she found put her in a constant state of nervousness. Their last meeting had been like nothing else she had ever experienced, and seemed to have sealed some kind of bond between them, despite the confusion and difficulties that came with it. The time away from him over the last few days had been almost torturous, as she worried about his safety constantly and whether his situation had gotten any worse. Some part of her tried to argue that this distance was a good thing, especially now that she knew about his engagement to someone else, but mostly Jen's heart won this argument as she reminded herself that this marriage was being entirely forced upon him. It all felt like a very confusing, chaotic mess in her mind and Jen couldn't help but exhale shakily as she tried to mentally prepare herself for an evening of work.

Eventually Jennifer was shown the bar, where once the guests were settled she would help to serve drinks. But first, she would be part of the meet and greet team at the entrance. She was briefed several times on how she must ensure she was polite and attentive to the guests at all times, especially the guests of honour who she had been told had just entered an engagement. As this was reiterated to her and a few others of the workers for the fifth time, she wondered silently where Mia had been placed and how she was taking the constant barrage of instructions. Jen was much more subservient in these situations than her friend was and she smirked at the mental image of the blonde trying to follow orders.

As she came to stand by one of the entrance doors, Jen was handed a large silver plate with champagne flutes atop it. She sighed as she stood, balancing the drinks in one of her hands, silently hoping that she wouldn't be at this post for long. She felt exposed under the bright lights of the chandeliers, which highlighted her pale skin and the dark circles under her eyes that she had tried to hide with a dashing of make up. Her usually slightly unkempt hair was tied back into a french plait that hung neatly down her back and a crisp white shirt clung against her form. She certainly looked the part on the surface, but to those who knew her and could see past the facade, she looked anything but herself, which was something she attempted to hide with a warm smile as the first guests began to arrive.

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:54 pm

"Nice and slow, I got you," Lucas murmured softly to Theodore as he held his good arm. The other vampire had an elegant cloth covering his eyes and the injuries there and a human contraption had been fitted around his face to keep his jaw straight and so the healing process, slow that it was, would heal correctly. Lucas felt absolutely terrible about the whole thing. Theodore's broken arm was casted and pressed against his body so he couldn't even use a walking stick since he had to have someone at his side holding his good arm to steady him while in public. He practiced with a stick at home, but still.

Theodore squeezed Lucas's hand and when the vampire looked up, Theodore offered smile though he winced at the end. Even now, Theodore was trying to comfort him and tell him not to feel guilty. It broke Lucas's heart to see him like this. He sighed before he straightened them both up and turned towards the building where his ceremony would be held. It made him sick that they had to parade around like this. Tonight they made their union official to the Grand Council and the neighboring covens. He was not looking forward to the fake smiles and well wishing. It was all just a façade and it was annoying.

"Three steps," Lucas said then as he slowed so Theodore could feel out the steps and didn't fall over. He put a smile on his face as the headed for the doors. The doors opened and humans lined the walls in greeting. It was always the same. These were the meals for tonight. They didn't kill the humans, but they did sample from their necks. Blood bags were great, but drinking from the tap was the best thing since honeyed wine. It certainly made his mouth water. He felt bad Theodore wouldn't be able to partake. He'd have to have a tube inserted in his mouth to get any blood.

His steps faltered when he saw her at the end of the hall. She was holding a Champaign tray. The uniform didn't suit her but her hair was elegant and framed her face beautifully. It made his heart skip a beat. But what was she doing here? How could she be here? Theodore touched his arm and Lucas glanced over at the other's confused expression, head cocked to the side. "Nothing, I'll tell you later," he murmured softly as he started walking. He stared at Jen the entire time he approached before he stopped in front of her and accepted a glass of Champaign. He wanted to say something, but he couldn't not here with everyone's eyes on him. "Thank you," he said curtly instead as he continued on his way. Shit. He needed to find a way to get her away from here. He did not fathom the idea of her as fodder for the others to sample.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:02 am

The hallway soon filled up with guests, a low hum of chatter and laughter echoing around the walls and bouncing off the high ceilings. They were all dressed beautifully, Jen observed, as she took in their expensive suits and elegant looking dresses. It almost looked like a scene from another era and she wondered how much money they must have between them all. Most of those who passed by didn't acknowledge her presence, simply taking a flute without a word. Occasionally someone would offer her a smile or a small thank you, and more often than not these same people would gaze over her as if looking for something that she could not fathom. As the room slowly started to become busier, Jen found that with the increasing presence of bodies she started to feel more uncomfortable, as though she was teetering on the edge of a knife point, waiting for someone to push her off. She turned then to swap her empty tray, replenishing the drinks before turning back to face the room. As she turned however, she was welcomed by a sight that she hadn't been expecting.

She spotted Lucas wandering down the hallway at about the same time as he did her, her heart leaping into her throat. What was he doing here? Surely this wasn't... But as she searched her mind for answers a sudden dawning realisation hit her. This was a celebration of an engagement. His engagement. Shit. She felt sick as he drew closer to her, her eyes never leaving his. Any colour that was left in her face had drained away, as her gaze momentarily flickered to the man who Lucas was assisting. She took in the state that he was in and how much help he needed, and Jen found that she had to look away for fear that she wouldn't be able to keep up the part of nonchalance that she was trying so hard to act. This must be the friend that Lucas had told her about, the friend who had been harmed by Corren beyond recognition. She could see how badly he had been hurt by his visible injuries and Jen felt incredibly sad for him, although she was glad to see that he was with Lucas, which indicated that he hadn't lost their friendship as he had feared. Everything about her in that moment wanted to run to Lucas and just let him hold her until everything from the past week slipped away from her consciousness, but she knew that she couldn't. His friend was as a very real reminder that these people around them must be part of the family Lucas had told her about, and she knew that they simply couldn't let slip that they knew each other. These people were dangerous; she had to keep her distance, for both of their sakes. Although as it stood right now, she wasn't sure if she would be able make it through the evening that had been organised to celebrate a forced engagement, where one of the parties was someone who meant more to her than anyone else.

Jennifer nodded slowly in response to his thank you and exhaled once they had passed. She felt a small tremor shake through her arm that had rigidly been keeping the silver plate afloat and as she did so, one of the glasses tripped from the edge of the surface. As fast as lightning her hand shot out to catch the glass, a small amount of champagne trickling to the floor beside her feet. In shock at the speed of her own reaction, Jennifer glanced around to see if anyone had noticed, which thankfully they hadn't before she placed the glass on the empty glasses stand behind her. This was just another happening in a long line of events that had been keeping her up at night this last week. She was noticing things about herself that were... different. These changes had started a while ago she thought, but the differences were subtle, subtle enough for her not to pay them much attention. But recently they had started to become more noticeable, and as they coincided with the weird dreams and her worries about Lucas and her rent, Jen felt as though this was just something else she didn't have the capacity to cope with right now. She couldn't speak to anyone about it because she was aware of how crazy it all sounded and somewhere in her mind she was grasping onto that there must be some kind of logical explanation.

More and more guests trailed in as the afternoon dragged on and Jen was tiring of standing in the same spot. She had been holding her breath in anticipation for the arrival of Corren and Lucas's fiancé but she was asked to change shifts and tend the bar before they entered the building, a small mercy that she was thankful for. As she entered the suite in which the bar was situated, her eyes searching the crowd, she quickly fell into the familiar routine of ferrying drinks to different tables and meandering her way with heavy trays through crowds of people. Every hour or so, another group of staff left for their breaks which were regularly planned throughout the event, and Jen was thankful to know that hers was next. She was trying to keep herself occupied to stop from worrying about the people she was surrounded by, but at the same time she found that she desperately needed some breathing space.

She watched the time ticking by slowly, the lights dimming as the natural daylight disappeared. She was pouring a drink when the first flash of pain hit her, causing a bottle to slip from her fingers. Momentarily she became breathless, her eyes glazing over as images flashed through her mind. She saw flashes of blood, people with inhuman strength and speed, sharp teeth... scenes which seemed to hit her in quick succession before she was shoved back into the present day, by a firm grip upon her elbow.
"What's wrong with you?" Mia hissed at her. "Come on, people are staring." Jen could feel herself shakily glancing around at the gazes which had turned to see what the noise was before deeming it insignificant enough to turn back to their important conversations. A wave of nausea washed through her as she bent down to clear the glass from the floor, being careful not to scratch her fingers on the shattered shards. "I'm sorry," she apologised to her friend who was helping her to clean up the mess.
"Are you okay? You don't look well."
"I-I'm fine. Just tired."

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:11 pm

Lucas was unnerved to have his human friend here among the sheep. What if Corren hurt her? What if something happened and the other realized the nature of their relationship? It would be the end of it, the end of her, and maybe Corren would take something or someone else from him or finally let him burn in the sun. There were too many unknowns in the situation and all the outcomes he could think of ended in death. Lucas wrenched his mind way from the spiral when he felt Theodore's hand tightened on his own. Lucas's negative energy was probably a beacon that something was wrong. The concern was evident in the other vampire's motions.

Lucas sighed and put a smile on his face for the event and greeted the family that came to congratulate him on his match. It was all feigned and he just wanted to roll his eyes. Every time he turned away from someone, his eyes sought Jennifer. He found her at the bar and he frowned when he dropped a glass. She seemed off tonight. Was it just seeing him here and the implications of the event or was there something else wrong?

"Theodore... the person I told you about before. She's here," Lucas whispered in his friend's ear. The tightened hand was all the response he needed from Theodore to know he understood Lucas's apprehension now. He led his friend to a seat and helped him into it. "I am going to try and get her out of here... before anything else happens."

Lucas pulled away and watched the bar a moment until he saw Jennifer leave to head to a back room, probably to clean up from a drink that was spilled. She looked pale and shaky. Concern touched his own features. He glanced around himself before he slipped away after her after a pause. He saw her in the hall and hurried to her side. "Jen, you okay?" he whispered. "You can't be here. You need to leave before the announcement." He didn't want anyone to drink from her.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilentButterflies on Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Mia frowned in disbelief as her friend shrugged off her concerns, gathering the last pieces of glass and slipping into the back room to clear it away. Jen could feel the panic rising in her throat as she tried to process what she had just experienced. It was exactly like the nightmares, although this time she had been awake and so it was difficult to distinguish it from reality. Needless to say, nothing like this had ever happened to her before and she was struggling to keep it together long enough to make it through the evening. She felt as though the walls of the building were closing in on her and she was left gasping for a breath that she couldn't quite catch.

As she felt a presence next to her then, once she was in the hallway, Jen jumped and turned to Lucas as she heard the whisper of his voice. The sight of him nearly caused failure in her mission to pretend that everything was okay, but as she inhaled steadily, she reminded herself that now was not the time for a breakdown, as her eyes tracked a member of staff who walked by them. “Why do people keep asking me that?” She snapped, ignoring his concern for her for fear of how accepting it might crumble the pretence she was trying so hard to uphold. "I'm fine." At his next words however, Jen simply shook her head; she could hardly bring herself to look at him. "I can't just leave Lucas, this is my job." And I desperately need the money, she nearly added but stopped herself, at the same time wondering why he was telling her to leave before the announcement? Did he just want to spare her feelings? “Look, I won’t give anything away. I don't want to put you in danger.” Of course, she had no idea about the very real danger that she was in herself. "Please, just go back to your celebration before someone sees us. You just need to… keep pretending that I don't exist." And then she turned away from him, in part because she was terrified of the consequences of someone seeing them together, but also to hide the wobble in her bottom lip as she tried not to give in to verbalising her worries. She so desperately wanted to tell him everything but she just couldn’t bring herself to.

As she walked away from him, Jen was left with a sense of guilt that she was trying to stifle by reasoning with herself. She knew that Lucas had sought her out for a good reason and she had simply rejected his attempt to help her. But as she pushed on down the corridor, she reminded herself that it was for the best this way. It wasn't unusual for Jen to lash out in unfamiliar situations - it had almost become a kind of self defense mechanism. Having lived independently for so long, the idea of accepting support was somewhat of an alien concept to her. She needed to find a way to get through this herself and that would be easier if she didn’t allow herself to feel. Then she was sure that everything would be fine, or at least that's what she had to keep telling herself.

SilentButterflies
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FaddedFox on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:45 am

Lucas was a bit surprised when Jennifer suddenly snapped at him. She hadn't snapped at him since, well, never. She never got that tone and it was concerning. If he wasn't the only one asking her if she was okay, something had to be wrong. He wanted to poke and prod until he got a real answer out of her but he didn't have the time and he didn't want people asking him why he was talking to a human for so long. Still... he couldn't leave her alone like this. Not knowing full well what was going to be going on later. He had to get her out of here, convince her in some way that she needed to leave and soon.

He hurried after her when she tried to flee him and the conversation. He grabbed her arm and pulled her back. He corralled her into the corner of the wall and used his own body to block her from sight in case anyone did come by in the hallway. His eyes were intense on hers as he searched her for silent answers. "Jen, you don't understand. You are not safe here. You and your friend, you need to leave. As soon as possible. I don't care how you get your boss to let you go, hell just leave. But you two can't be here when the proposal starts; the doors will lock and you won't be able to get out. Jen, please. I do not want you to get hurt and you will be if you stay," he insisted.

"Lucas Revarn," came a voice from down the hall.

Lucas tensed and grit his teeth before he pulled back and put a smile on his face. He turned and bowed to Corren. "Lord Ferrin" he greeted.

Corren approached with a little grin on his lips and he glanced at the human behind Lucas. "My, you must be excited for the main course. But you know as well as I that we must wait until after the announcement. How exciting for you. You'll be sharing your first meal with your betrothed. It is quite the experience, and the more reason for you to wait. Come now, you're the guest of honor. Let's not keep the rest of the family waiting."

Corren wrapped an arm around Lucas's shoulder and started to pull him away. Lucas wanted to look back at Jen but he didn't dare. He just hoped she would listen to him and get out of here before it was too late.

FaddedFox
Member for 11 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!