Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

War and the Sea

a topic in Uncategorized Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

Other roleplay stuff, either inactive or otherwise. Roleplays that don't fit within any of the other categories.

Re: War and the Sea

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:20 pm

Isla paled. Her fingers dug into Isaac’s chest as Alysander told her what happened to Rhiannon.

“No....but she...”

Isla felt like she could not breathe. She had seen the woman, round and heavy with child just before she left. Rhiannon had been so kind, gave her clothing and a blanket to aid her on her journey.

She thought of the woman alone and dealing with the loss of her baby.

“Faster...Isaac you have to go faster. We need to find Gareth. He needs to go home.”

Her large dark eyes were filled with tears. She felt a lump her throat but willed it all to hold as she had no business crying when Rhiannon was going through so much. She had never had a child, Rhiannon’s own were the only she had ever encountered but she had seen the way Rhiannon doted on them and loved them. That is love. The look in Rhiannon’s eyes as she watched them. She remembered the fear in the Rhiannon’s eyes when she ran from the wolves with her boy in her arms. Isla could not even imagine how Rhiannon felt right now.

She looked over at Alysander. “I am sorry. I have delayed you so many times....we need to find him.”

Once they found Gareth she could ask about her coat but right now they needed to get to Skye and to find him.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:50 pm

“Aye,” he agreed. “Let us finish this last leg of our journey and get to Skye.”

He tapped his heels against the sides of his horse and the animal hurried her pace, bringing them to single file once more. Isaac hurried his horse in response, holding the reins on one hand, stroking Isla’s cold hands with the other.

They made good time, reaching the busy town in little time. As they passed between the first few shanty houses that marked the outskirts of town, Alysander began looking around for people he might ask about Gareth. The people around him were poor, many of them dirty. They sat in their dripping, leaning homes, unwelcoming to those that passed by. Alysander didn’t stop.

The buildings became closer together, crowded against each other. He could see where once there had been spaces between the buildings, but they had since been filled with semi-permanent stalls, shacks, or- if there wasn’t even enough space for that- a pig sty right in the middle of the town. Skye was one of the largest of the Scottish islands, and the first town you passed through- Kyleakin- was known to be the dirtiest. The large town reeked of rotting fish, but it also carried the smells of distilled whiskey and human waste. The town stank of piss, thought Alysander, glad he was on horseback.

Still, Kyleakin was a popular trade town. Everyone passed through Kyleakin if they had any sort of business on Skye. It was a good place to barter and find unusual goods. As a port town, exotic wares were more likely to come in than they would farther inland. Gareth likely would have spent several days here, hoped Alysander.

They passed a few women in bright, lavish clothing that he first mistook for nobility. Upon seeing their garishly made up faces, he realized the women were prostitutes. He was so far unimpressed with the city, but perhaps there was more to it. He hoped they were in the slums, and that what they were seeing didn’t constitute the whole of Kyleakin.

He passed beside a merchant and slowed his horse. “Sir, have ye met a merchant by the name o’ Gareth?” he asked. The man shook his head.

“Nope, can’t say that I have.” Alysander nodded, disappointed, but continued on. Of course it wouldn’t be so easy. There were so many people in this place- finding Gareth was going to be a challenge. The afternoon faded to evening, and still the three rode the streets, crossing in and out, asking after Gareth. In the end, Gareth found him.

“Alysander?” he asked in surprise, putting a hand on the man’s knee to draw his attention downward. “Alysander! I thought that was you! What on earth are you doing here?”

“Enjoying the lovely scenery, o’ course,” Alysander said dryly. “I’m here for you!” He gestured behind him to Isla and Isaac. “So is the young woman. Gareth, that’s Isla. She’s come a long way t’ find ye.”

Gareth looked at Isla curiously. “Very nice t’ meet you, Isla. It’s a pleasure. Now, what can I help ye with?”

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LockandKey
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Isla was silent as they rode. Shanties became shacks. The air smelt terrible and Isla buried her face into Isaac to hide from it.

Humans live like this? She could not imagine staying here, living in this place. Women dressed in bright clothes stood on the street. Others milled about and Isla felt as if the whole place was creeping up on her.

There was one small comfort. On the air, if one could get past the smells of humanity was the sea. It took a bit for Isla to find it but the shifted at one point and the salt hit her nose and she instantly felt herself perk up. The crashing waves would be close and once they found Gareth she could slip back into them and forget all of this.

Isla felt an odd pain in her chest. She did not want to forget this. She wanted to remember Rhiannon and the children. She had wanted to visit them. She wanted to remember Nicholas and how it had felt when he paid such attention to her. And Isaac with his answer and sweet disposition. Alysander as well, even if things had started roughly between them and if their last encounter had not been ideal. Isla did not want to forget and part of her wanted to stay. [i]I want the choice.

She shook away her thoughts and focused on finding Gareth. She watched Alysander for some sign that he spotted the man, listened intently as he asked around about him.Isla refused to be disheartened when the answer was no. Afterall it was a large place.

When Alysander began talking to him Isla felt her heart leap to her throat. This is it! I can go home! She wanted to get down, wanted to approach him but she could not leave the horse without help.

Isla looked down at the man, hope in her eyes. “You were given a seal skin. To trade. Do you have it? It belongs to me, it was my mother’s and I need it back before I can return home. Rhiannon said you would return it to me if I explained. I have no money but the coat means a great deal to me. Please may I have it back?”

She was leaning towards him, holding onto Isaac for support and in great danger of slipping from the saddle as she appealed to the merchant for her coat.

Isla could almost feel its softness in her hands.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Gareth became more guarded, suddenly wary. The woman before him was asking him to just give her one of the more expensive items he had. He hadn’t found a buyer yet, but he would soon and when he did it would fetch a pretty penny. Rhiannon had told this woman he’d just give it away to her? He frowned, unsure what to say, but edged away slightly, no longer quite so pleased to meet her. He backtracked to where Alysander was and spoke in a quiet tone.

“What’s the meaning of this, ‘Sander? Why’d ye bring her here? You gave me that seal skin to trade, but now you’ve brought me a woman who wants it for free.” Gareth was feeling rather resentful of his cousin-in-law.

“Turns out the skin was no’ mine to trade away,” he replied. “Gareth, please just give her the coat. I have things I need t’ discuss with ye that are more important.”

The merchant frowned again, then glanced back over at Isla, feeling trapped. Why had Alysander done this? It didn’t make any sense. He felt taken advantage of. Alysander knew he couldn’t say no. “It’s back at my room in the inn down at the end of the street,” he told Isla glumly. “Let’s go get it then.”

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:25 pm

Isla frowned as the man backed away from her. She felt panic begin to form in her chest and she righted herself in the saddle. Her eyes were on Alysander. Please. You promised you would help me. Would he change his mind now?

Isla watched them talk in hushed tones and she longed to hear what was said. She could make out the words "trade" and "important."

If the man would not give it to her she did not know what was she going to do. Isla felt sick to her stomach. When he said it was back in his room Isla bit her lip to stifle her gasp of relief. Her arms tightened on Isaac.

"Thank you. Thank you. You have no idea what it means to me that you have it still. I feared it was lost and without it..."

She let her words die there sensing all was not well with the merchant or Alysander. Her head down and a slight frown on her face Isla rode behind Isaac in silence.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:40 am

Gareth led his cousin and two companions down the narrow, crowded street, a bemused frown on his face. He’d taken the reins of Alysander’s horse to lead the animal, but the large animals were having a hard time picking their way across the muddy streets. Richer sections of the town had cobbled roads, but this particular alley- and all the ones around it- were merely dirt. The recent heavy rains had turned them to mud. Now the floors of all the buildings were covered in mud too, from people and animals constantly tracking it in. Rhiannon often told him she was envious of the life he led. She pictured him traveling to far off places and seeing new things at every turn. Unfortunately, Kyleakin was a better representation of what he dealt with on a regular basis.

The town had been built with no sort of plan in mind, so it was easy to get lost, and some streets simply narrowed into dead ends. There were too many people packed into too small a space and everyone lived on top of one another. He missed his home.

Finally, after an arduous trek, they reached the little tavern where he’d rented a room. The establishment made him slightly nervous, especially at night when its patrons arrived and spent all their money on whiskey and women. The doors had locks on them though, and he was able to protect his wares.

“I don’t know where the boy is that works here,” Gareth sighed. “We’ll have to wait for him so he can take your horses to the stable down the way. It’s a separate charge, I’m afraid.”

Alysander shifted uneasily, suddenly in a hurry to get Isla her coat and to pass on the news that had been weighing so heavily on his shoulders. “I’ll watch the horses,” interjected Isaac. “I’ll be out here with them while you all go inside. I’ll come find you when they’re stabled.”

Alysander gave the Englishman a grateful nod and slid off his horse. His shoes sank into the mud when he dismounted. Now, every step feeling heavier, he walked over to Isaac’s horse and held his arms out to Isla to help her climb off. “Maybe just let me carry ye,” he told her, glancing over his shoulder at the tavern that was only a few paces away, then to her shoes which didn’t look made for enduring a walk through deep mud.

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 am

The journey was precarious at best. Isla found herself gripping Isaac tightly. She felt nervous as if something very bad was going to happen. Gareth was not as jovial as she had hoped and getting her coat seemed to be a bit more trying than she felt it should be. It was hers. Alysander had promised her he would get it back and at this moment it was the only hope she had.

Isaac offered to stay with the horses as it became clear that the area was a little more unsavory than all parties would wish for.

Alysander approached to help her down and she reached for him. He offered to carry her and Isla could do nothing but nod. She was so close to getting her coat back and fear and hope bubbled in her and felt as if she might burst.

She let her arms encircle his neck as she slid from the saddle into his arms.

"Thank you."

Isla whispered it to him and there was more behind it than simply thanking him for keeping her from the mud. Her face was buried against him.

It hit her that it might be the last time she had any contact with him and she wanted to remember it.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:22 am

Alysander carried Isla the few short steps to the tavern, then set her inside after Gareth opened the door. He looked back for a moment at Isaac, who held the reins of both horses and looked a little lost. He’ll be alright.

They followed Gareth up a flight of stairs which had a banister that was none too sturdy, then down a short, dark hall to the last room. The merchant withdrew a key from around his neck and inserted it into the lock, then let them in. He closed the door behind them soundly.

“Alysander,” he said, still uneasy. “What’s going on here? Did ye come all the way here just to ask for this woman’s seal skin back?”

Alysander shook his head. “No, I came for another reason, but I do hope ye’ll give her the coat back. Ye see, I found it on the rocks near the beach and didn’a see her around. She turned up later after having a bit o’ a rough encounter with Wallace. The skin’s a family heirloom. She has no money, but since I gave it to ye, I’d like t’ take it back.”

Gareth looked at Isla in surprise. Was this real, or had the pretty woman before him somehow conned his cousin? He could hardly tell Alysander that she couldn’t have the skin, either way. Alysander had given it to him to trade for something more useful. Whatever he’d gotten for it would have gone back to Alysander anyway. If he wanted it to give to the woman beside him, it was his choice.

Gareth turned and went to the corner of the room where he’d left his trunk. In it he carried most of the wares he’d traded for and would take back home. He opened the trunk and pulled out the skin. He’d rolled it tightly, but now he unfurled it, admiring the sleek skin once more before hesitantly handing it to Isla.

She’s going to take that skin, and I bet he’ll never see her again. I’ve never seen him turn into a fool over a woman before. I wonder if he’s in love with her. He looked at Isla shrewdly, trying to read her. She looks anxious. She’s itching to be on her way. She’s got what she wants now.

“Now, why’d you come?” he asked Alysander. “Ye came an awful long way, since I’d be back in a couple o’ weeks anyway.”

Alysander’s jaw clenched and Gareth frowned. What was wrong with him? “Gareth, it’s Rhiannon,” the large man started. Gareth felt his heart plummet.

“Is she okay?” he asked, panicky.

“Rhiannon’s fine,” Alysander assured him. “But... Gareth, she had the babe a few days ago, and he didn’a make it.”

“Oh...” Gareth was shaken, and he sat on the edge of the bed, wringing his hands. Rhiannon had had two miscarriages before, and those had been very hard on her. She’d never lost a child after carrying it for nine months though. His wife had been so happy when he’d left, and so healthy. He’d been sure he’d come home to find the house filled with joy, and one more child. “I’m... I’m glad Rhiannon is alright.”

He was, though it was hard for him to feel glad about anything at that moment. He felt a big hand come to rest on his shoulder and looked up to see Alysander. “You should go back home as soon as ye can. She needs ye there with her.”

Gareth nodded mutely. Right now he was in shock. Later that night, when he was alone, he would let himself grieve. “Thank you for coming all this way,” he murmured. Alysander patted his back consolingly. “I need to leave. Now.”

Alysander started. “There’s only a couple o’ hours till sunset. Ye should wait till tomorrow, Gareth. I’ll ride with ye.”

“No, I’ll leave tonight. I’ll not waste anymore time.” He stood from the bed and began to pack his things. “The room is paid for already. You can stay here if ye like.” He removed the key from around his neck and handed it to Alysander.

“I thank ye, but are you sure I cann’a convince ye to wait?” Alysander asked. Gareth shook his head.

“No, my wife needs me.” With a grunt he lifted the heavy trunk. Alysander opened the door and let him through, then followed him down the stairs.

“Gareth, be careful. There’s a battle going on in Lochcarron and they’re taking hostages in the woods. It’s a longer route, but go around the forest.”

Gareth nodded, grateful for the instruction. “I’ll see ye back home.” The two men embraced in a brief but tight hug, and Gareth disappeared onto the street, walking toward the stable.

Alysander turned and looked at Isla. “Ah. Well, ye’ve got yer skin now. Shall I... take ye to the beach?”

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:06 pm

Isla felt her feet hit the floor. Her eyes opened and she slowly moved away from Alysander. Walking up the stairs it seemed a far greater distance than it was. Her hands gripped her dress. She said nothing as Gareth led them into the room.

Isla winced a little at the sound of the door closing and Gareth’s voice. She looked up at Alysander as he explained to Gareth that he wanted the skin back, that it needed to go back to Isla.

Her breathing increased and her heart raced as Gareth moved to a trunk in the corner of the room. Will it be in there? Will he give it back? Suspense crackled in the air around her. She could taste the salt in the air the sea was so close.

Isla’s eyes were on the dark fur as Gareth unrolled it. Her breath caught in her throat. She reached for it. Gareth handed it to her and Isla pulled it in slowly to her chest. She hugged it tightly to her body. Her eyes closed and she felt whole once more.

The men were talking but Isla was focused on the feel of her fur against her face. Alysander had promised her he would get her fur back and he had.

Her coat was still clutched against her and she opened her eyes to look at Gareth as he sat on the bed. Her heart went out to the man as Alysander explained what had happened. Again she thought of Rhiannon and what the woman might be going through.

He. She had a boy. Her lip trembled as she thought of the poor babe.

Isla watched Gareth pack his things and lift his trunk. He was going to leave now. Because he loves her and wants to be with her as they mourn the babe. Their love is strong and they will have each other.

Alysander mentioned Lochcarron and Isla thought of Nicholas. I have my coat now. I have options now.

The men said good bye and Isla was deep in thought.

“Ah. Well, ye’ve got yer skin now. Shall I... take ye to the beach?”

Isla looked up at Alysander. Without a second thought she ran at him and hugged him tightly.

“Thank you Alysander. Thank you...”

Her arms held him tightly. She looked up at him. “You kept your promise and I cannot tell you what it means to have it back.”

She remembered the moment at the camp and slowly released him, stepping back a step.

“I think I would like to wait until morning. It will be a very long swim home from here in Skye. I am hungry and tired. I would like to make sure Isaac gets to the school, to say goodbye to him and I still have to answer his question.”

Isla looked up at him.

“I will however leave you now. There is no need for you to have to deal with me any longer. I will find a place to stay on the beach and I will see to Isaac. I want to thank you....I want to thank you for being my friend Alysander. I know you did not like me when we met, I know there are things here between us that I do not understand but your friendship, your attempt to explain things to me and the fact that you believed me and helped me mean so very much.”

There were tears pooling in the large, dark eyes.

“I would have liked to experienced being a human a little longer with you and maybe when I come to visit Rhiannon you will say hello to me sometime.”

She stood there, feeling awkward. She wanted to leave, to free him finally from his promise to her but she could not make her feet move yet.

Isla stepped back closer to Alysander. Her skin was still in her hands but she shifted it to her left hand and rising on tiptoe, used her right hand to draw his face to her.

The selkie kissed him. It was soft at first. Just a touching of their lips. It grew a little firmer as Isla pressed closer to him. Her lips moved, just a little, parting slightly against his. Her eyes were closed and she savoured the contact between them.

Isla broke the kiss and stepped back. Her chest rose and fell rapidly. Her eyes were opened again and focused on his.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:23 pm

“Thank you Alysander. Thank you... You kept your promise and I cannot tell you what it means to have it back. I think I would like to wait until morning. It will be a very long swim home from here in Skye. I am hungry and tired. I would like to make sure Isaac gets to the school, to say goodbye to him and I still have to answer his question. I will however leave you now. There is no need for you to have to deal with me any longer. I will find a place to stay on the beach and I will see to Isaac. I want to thank you....I want to thank you for being my friend Alysander. I know you did not like me when we met, I know there are things here between us that I do not understand but your friendship, your attempt to explain things to me and the fact that you believed me and helped me mean so very much. I would have liked to experienced being a human a little longer with you and maybe when I come to visit Rhiannon you will say hello to me sometime.”

She put her hand on his cheek and drew him down, then kissed him. He put his hand on the small of her back and pulled her closer, but it was a brief kiss. She drew away, breaking the kiss, and peered up at him. Part of him wished she would stay a little longer with him, stay the night in his arms one last time. Maybe it was better this way. She was a selkie and ready to return to the sea. One more night would only make it harder.

“I’m glad I was able to help ye,” he told her earnestly. “I’m sorry I took it in the first place and made all this trouble for ye though.” He grimaced slightly. “Come on, let’s go find Isaac for ye.”

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:40 pm

Isla was regretting her desire to leave.

He offered to take her to Isaac and she simply nodded. Her chest hurt, her heartached. She felt so close to tears and yet so happy to have the chance to go home.

The ice cold water. The seaweed. No more emotions.

And yet it was not nearly as appealing as it had been a week ago.

Isla followed Alysander out of the room and down the stairs. She clutched her coat to her chest.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:51 pm

They went downstairs together, and after he opened the door Alysander turned and scooped Isla up, as easily as if she were only a child. He had one arm beneath her knees, the other behind her back, and with her firmly enveloped in his arms he stepped out onto the muddy streets.

Isaac was still standing where they’d left him, the reins of the horses in his hand. He was looking around, appearing incredibly lost. “I guess that boy never showed up?” Alysander asked Isaac.

Isaac shook his head. “I don’t think so. Or maybe he did and I didn’t see him.”

Alysander shrugged. “Isla wants to talk to ye. Why don’t ye both go on upstairs and I’ll give ye some space.” He raised his eyebrows meaningfully at Isla. I’m only doing this for you, he thought, then stepped over to Isaac and put Isla in his arms. He removed the key on it’s long cord from around his neck and slipped it over Isla’s head, then took the reins Isaac had dropped.

“I’ll take care of the horses.”

Isaac nodded, taken aback, and watched him go. “You need to speak with me?” he asked the woman in his arms. He readjusted his hold on her, then walked to the tavern door. “Will you, erm, pull that open for me please?” he asked.

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Isla rested against Alysander as he scooped her up. He surprised her by handing her to Isaac and telling them to go upstairs.

She reached for the door and opened it for him. Once he stepped in she slipped her legs down so her feet touched the floor. She took his hand, her coat in the other and led him up to the room. Her heart was in her throat. She was not entirely sure what to say.

The key went into the lock and Isla opened the door for them. She closed it behind them.

"I have my coat back and will be returning home. I wanted to say goodbye Isaac. You have a job to do and I think it is an important one."

Isla stepped close to him and held out her coat. "I am not human Isaac. I am a selkie, part woman and part seal. To love me would bring you nothing but pain. Alysander is right. To give you my heart, to take yours is cruel. I can come to land but I long for the sea and no matter will want to return to it."

It hurt to say the words to him. He was so kind, so patient and she did it want him to be hurt. No matter what though she knew he would be. She looked down at her coat and then back up at Isaac.

"I am sorry. I wish I could stay. Wish I could know love but..."

Her words were whispered.

"It is better if I go. You will meet someone who will love you and will be worth the love you have."

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:20 pm

Isaac followed Isla up the stairs, watching the hem of her dress swish with every step. Why did he have a sudden premonition that something bad was going to happen? Isla unlocked the last door at the end of the hall and he followed her inside. They were alone together for the first time.

"I have my coat back and will be returning home. I wanted to say goodbye Isaac. You have a job to do and I think it is an important one."

Isaac nodded in agreement to these words. Yes, these were all true things. It appeared she did have her seal coat back, and he did have a job waiting for him.

"I am not human Isaac. I am a selkie, part woman and part seal. To love me would bring you nothing but pain. Alysander is right. To give you my heart, to take yours is cruel. I can come to land but I long for the sea and no matter will want to return to it."

Isla was so kind, he thought, but she had no talent for lying. The story she had come up with to spare his feelings was so far fetched, yet he appreciated the sentiment. The soft smile he usually wore disappeared.

"I am sorry. I wish I could stay. Wish I could know love but...” Her voice grew incredibly quiet. "It is better if I go. You will meet someone who will love you and will be worth the love you have."

Isaac shook his head, disagreeing. Perhaps it was better to go along with her story about being a selkie. He could use it as the basis of his own counter argument.

“Isla,” he began slowly, his words trying to catch up with his brain. “If you’re a selkie, it’s imperative that you be near the sea, correct?” He didn’t give her the chance to answer. “I will be teaching at a school in Portree, and living in a cottage only steps from the coast. Could you not be happy there with me? I would never presume to keep you from the sea.”

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:54 pm

"Yes I need to be near the sea. I will not likely be content to be a woman all of the time."

She thought on what he offered. It sounded perfect, ideal even except she would not stay and the thought of him alone waiting and not knowing when she would return bothered her.

More important than that was Isla was not sure if she could love him.

"Isaac...would you be happy though? I would not be with you all the time. I do not even know how long it is between times when I come ashore. It could be days or months."

She stepped towards him and took his hand.

"And I do not know if a selkie is capable of love. My father took my mother's coat in order to keep her. I do not know if she loved him. I do not know if I could ever say for certain that I could learn love. That seems unfair to you. You have the capability for love and compassion. What if I do not?"

Isla looked up at him.

"I would leave you bitter and unhappy and I do not wish that for you."

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:06 pm

“You’re capable of love,” he assured her, but there was no joy in his tone. He took a step closer to her and gently grasped both her hands. “You’re already in love. Unfortunately, it’s just not with me.”

A part of him knew that she could not be convinced to give him a chance. His feelings were unrequited, she was just too kind to say so. She was looking for reasons and searching for excuses. It didn’t matter. Above all he just wanted her to be happy.

“Good luck, Isla. If you ever want to come find me, I’ll be in Portree. Just ask for Isaac Lovelace.”

He leaned forward and kissed her cheek in a final farewell.

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Isla stood there and watched him go. Tears welled and she sat down heavily on the bed.

"I am not in love...."

The room was empty, the words spoken to no one but herself. Why could she not just love Isaac? Why did she have to hurt him like that?

Isla put her face into her skin and cried. He said she was capable of love, that she was in love and it was not true. It could not be.

If she were to love surely it would be someone who loved her, was kind and patient. If she could not love Isaac than there was no chance the selkie could love. She did not feel passion or desire with Isaac and despite everything she felt as if something were missing. There was a connection that just was not there.

Isla sat on the bed and cried until there was nothing left. She was tired and hungry but at that moment did nothing but sit on the bed feeling lost.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Alysander waited outside the tavern, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest. He wondered what they were talking about up there, but didn’t have to wonder long. Isaac came down after only a few minutes looking rather dejected. He gave Alysander a resentful look as he left the building.

“I’ll be on my way,” he told Alysander. Then, with a scowl, “You better be nice to her.”

Alysander looked at the man in surprise. He was already walking away, stomping through the mud toward the stable. “Nice t’ travel with ye too,” he muttered before entering the tavern. He climbed the rickety staircase and got to the last room. He knocked softly before pulling the door open.

Isla was sitting on the bed, red eyed and teary. Her cheeks were pale and had the dried trails of her tears marking the evidence of her activity. What in the world had happened between them? Isaac had left angrily, and now Isla was a sobbing mess.

He’d never known how to handle a crying woman, and he was not suddenly hit with any inspiration. “Erm... I can come back,” he offered, one hand groping blindly behind him for the doorknob.

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:22 pm

Isla looked up at the knock on the door. Her eyes fell back to her lap as Alysander entered.

She shook her head at his offer.

“It is your room. I should leave. I have to find shelter before it gets dark.”

Her voice was soft and she stood holding the skin to her chest. She walked towards him, her goal the door.

“There is not good way to do that is there? To explain what I am and how having feelings for me is not a good idea. How I would be cruel to hope for otherwise and try for it. I hurt him but I could not tell him that I could love him when I do not even believe I am capable of it. You said yourself for a selkie to love is cruel to the man she cares for. I could not pretend and even when he offered me the best option I could not wish that life on him.”

Isla looked up at Alysander.

“On top of all that he said I was in love though I know it cannot be true. I think one would know that. He seemed so sure. If I was in love would I not be sure as well?”

The selkie shook her head sending her hair moving about her face.

“I talk too much...I should leave you to your evening. Thank you...”

She reached around him for the doorknob and waited for him to move so that she could go and he could finally be alone.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LockandKey on Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:37 pm

“It is your room. I should leave. I have to find shelter before it gets dark.”

Alysander frowned in confusion. “That’s very human of ye. Were ye not planning to turn into a seal and sleep in the sea tonight, as ye used to?”

“There is not good way to do that is there? To explain what I am and how having feelings for me is not a good idea. How I would be cruel to hope for otherwise and try for it. I hurt him but I could not tell him that I could love him when I do not even believe I am capable of it. You said yourself for a selkie to love is cruel to the man she cares for. I could not pretend and even when he offered me the best option I could not wish that life on him.”

“That’s no’ what I said,” he told her. “I told ye it was cruel t’ try and make a man fall in love with ye if ye only plan t’ leave him. I stand by that.”

“On top of all that he said I was in love though I know it cannot be true. I think one would know that. He seemed so sure. If I was in love would I not be sure as well?”

Why was she asking him such questions? He was hardly the authority. He looked at her blankly, but it didn’t matter. Her questions seemed to be rhetorical.

“I talk too much...I should leave you to your evening. Thank you...”

Her hand was reaching around him for the knob. He moved out of her way, frowning. So that was it. He’d gotten her the coat back and she was on her merry way. He pushed her hand away from the doorknob and pulled it open for her.

“You’re welcome,” he said evenly. “Ye know where t’ find me.”

LockandKey
Member for 11 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!