Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Aftermath: Survivor's Struggle

Aftermath: Survivor's Struggle

a part of “Aftermath: Survivor's Struggle”, a fictional universe by Bradok187.

"It didn't come from nukes or war like most folks thought. One cough, that's all it took for the world to go to hell." -Unknown Survivor

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Aftermath: Survivor's Struggle”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: Aftermath: Survivor's Struggle

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Well we could either do:

It's been a week-a month since the outbreak and all of the survivors we evacuated to the same quarantine zone.

Or the outbreak had only recently occurred, maybe 2-4 days ago and the military is evacuating people via plane and truck from the ALT Airport.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShaShaBoomStar on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm really liking the second choice. However, all the survivors should be in the same evacuation vehicle...
ShaShaBoomStar! This is ShaSha, and I'm going to Boom your Star! Wait, no. Gtfo.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ShaShaBoomStar
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kaaaat on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:23 pm

That sounds good to me. The members of our group could all end up in the same evacuation truck/vehicle until something happens and we all end up banding together to survive. ?¿

Kaaaat
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Sounds good, so we have the start of our story.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cheater0611 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 pm

The amount of time for the military to mobilize is ungodly slow. Then you have to factor in how many of them got infected. So, their man power would be crippled significantly. I'm guessing in order for total mobilization and having a quarantine set up... roughly 2-3 weeks. I suppose that once people started going into coma's the government could have placed martial law into effect to stop the spread of the virus. Again, that would still take forever to be put in place. So, that could potentially drive my estimate to as little as a week and no more than 2. Ah, extrapolating events hurts my head. Of course that's just my opinion on the matter. Opinions are like brains, everybody has one... supposedly.
WARNING: The preceding post contained one of the following:
A: Sarcasm
B: Humor
C: Tasteless Humor
D: Humor that might have gone over your head and you thought I was serious.
E: All of the above
F:None of the above
G: Any combination of A, B, C, and D you can think of.
I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

cheater0611
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Well the military would have mobilized and started the quarantine as soon as the coma started to spread at the speed it did. Your post made me think of something important that I should make another OOC thread about, the infected. I decided to type up a brief overview of the disease so we can resolve this issue.

Ok so the incubation of the disease decreases in time with every new strain of the virus. Lets say the first people to fall into the coma were out for 2 weeks. The next people infected were out for half of the, then so on.

The infected aren't capable of higher thinking like normal zombies, but unlike normal zombies they are able to move quickly.

Lets say the quarantine officially started the first week after everyone fell after into the coma. That gives the military enough time to actually start the evacuation to the quarantine zones but not enough time to mobilize in full force. After the outbreak the military would have been able to maintain the bigger of it's installations where our survivors will start, and from there they will be moved to a quarantine zone.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cheater0611 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:43 pm

God I love talking technicalities. I take pleasure in the little things and technicalities are one of those things. Which is probably I enjoy MTG so much. If I do some quick BS calculations, I would guess that the time you put down would be the right amount time for them to start setting everything up and shipping people out. Obviously they can't get everyone in that week. Which leads me to my next question; So how does the virus spread after the initial outbreak. Is it through blood, a bite, or is it still Airborne?

cheater0611
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:20 pm

I know what you mean I am the same way. Ever aspect of the game should be as detailed as possible, and what you said brings up an interesting topic.

So how would the virus spread? Well the first group to be infected obviously weren't bitten so we know they were infected by another means of transmission. For they sheer amount of people that were infected it would have to be something that effects multiple people over a short period.

Airborne pathogens are probably the one that comes the mind the most. It would obviously be the easiest to spread, and the hardest to contain. However if this was the original means of transmission it leaves the question of is the virus still being spread this way? I personally don't like the idea of being breathe o by a zombie will get you infected, but that can be counteracted with re-breathers. Maybe we could add a metro theme to the RP where certain areas of the "Badlands" are so dense with contaminated air gas masks are required for safe travel. However since the virus rapidly evolves we can just say after the first generation it switched methods of transmission altogether.

Direct contact would be number two on my list. Humans tend to come into contact with various people everyday so skin to skin transmission is a very believable way for the virus to spread. Unlike an airborne virus, this version could stay as the primary means of transmission in our RP since we will be trying to avoid any form of contact with the infected to begin with, and we can easily cover your arms with sleeves and such.

Digestion is the last on my list. However for something to be swallowed by a vast number of people, it would either have to have been a terrorist attack or some form of radioactive contamination. Also the virus would have to mutate since it seems unlikely any of us will swallow a mouthful of zombie spit.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cheater0611 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:39 pm

I can tell your excited to be talking about this, your missing keystrokes. I don't mind, I sometimes do the same thing. We're only human. Anyway, I say for the initial outbreak we use both airborne and contact. That would likely be the most common way of it being spread. However, it's the same virus; not different strains, exactly the same. So that way people would still have the immunity on the initial strain. After that when the virus mutates for the first time it loses it airborne infection because the original virus is STILL in the air and anyone who hasn't gotten infect won't. From there we would get it when their blood got splashed in our eyes, nose, mouth, ears, and any open wounds. That's just one way of doing it. There's an ungodly amount of ways to do it and it still make perfect sense.

cheater0611
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby code6435 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:48 pm

The last list had me thinking. If digestion means having zombie/infected saliva going into your body, doesn't the classic way of having these guys biting you the same thing? Since when they bite a victim, their saliva actually dissolves into the blood vessel and slowly destroys them before travelling all the way up to the brain. That is, of course, probably a slow way to die or maybe a quick one.

Also, will we be having different types of mutation if you were to say that the type of virus transmission mutates itself overtime to infect more victims faster? Because if you implemented that into the role-play, it becomes a supposedly logical explanation towards different types of infected due to the different environment and the transforming virus.

code6435
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:45 pm

@code643| Yeah i'm going to type of an information sheet about the different infected ad way of infection. The reason I made the virus mutate and evolve fast is so it is possible for different versions of infected, but they wont be super-powered or anything like that. For example the average infected is just like a normal person that has gone mad, while people that were infected in sewers/subways/etc would have evolved to a darker environment allowing giving them improved night-vision and an intolerance to light. The reason for this evolution is the virus rapidly altering the person's brain and body function while the person is in the comatose state. So will we see a Nemesis or a Tank? No, but there will be a small variety of different infected that our group will encounter. However they are a surprise!

@cheater0611| I think your right about the way of transmission. It should be like the common cold, if someone touches you or coughs in your direction you are likely to get infected. The airborne aspect of made me think a lot, and i'm trying to come up with a way to work it into the RP without complicating things. I want to stress that no one is immune from the virus, even it's early form. If we say over those that didn't get infected by the airborne portion of the virus are immune, then what reasons do the government have to not work on a cure? I was thinking of doing something like decreasing the viruses life-span when it is outside the host. That would make the distance it could travel very short, but it still leaves the problem of how will you fight the infected if just breathing around them can infect you. So I decided that when the virus mutates and decreases it's incubation period, it also decreases the potency of the virus. That would mean a bite will still infect you, but your immune system could fight off the airborne infection if you are not exposed to it for extended periods of time.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cheater0611 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:48 pm

Having a logical explanation for varying infected would be the best thing ever. The reason I never really played L4D that much was because of the different types of the Zombitches without much of a reason why some were normal dead brain eating zombies and others crazy sobbing lady's that kill you with no effort. Of course having different types of Zombies would take hundreds of years of mutating...... Then I ran into a huge problem with my idea in my previous post.....

After that when the virus mutates for the first time it loses it airborne infection because the original virus is STILL in the air and anyone who hasn't gotten infect won't. From there we would get it when their blood got splashed in our eyes, nose, mouth, ears, and any open wounds. That's just one way of doing it. There's an ungodly amount of ways to do it and it still make perfect sense.

Anyway, if we did do it like that than their would be no uniform mutation pattern. Not that characters would know anything about the pattern. Unless you have it after initial infection you have virus just keep mutating. To make clear on what I'm saying I'm going to provide an example: Subject 0 gets infected, coma, death. After Subject 0 reanimates and some how survives and lives for twenty years after Z-day. Even though Subject 0 hasn't encountered any survivors and didn't pass on the virus; it's still mutating. Like the virus was made to mutate in a very specific way at a specific time.

cheater0611
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:17 pm

The way our virus will mutate is like this:

Subject 0 is infected, then goes into a coma while locked within a plain white room. Then while he is in a coma the virus will run its course changing him to where he will be perfectly suited to survive within that room. If he infects two people while within the room and one is able to escape. The one that remains trapped in the room will mutate the same as subject 0 while the one that escaped will undergo a completely different mutation depending on where he ended up before the coma set in.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby code6435 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:26 pm

So it's basically like how humans adapt to various different environments?

code6435
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Yeah, basically it's adaptation on a microscopic level.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cheater0611 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:52 pm

Now that's microbiology I can understand.

cheater0611
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DancingRomani on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Oooooh! I am totally going to join! *Wanders off to make a CS*

DancingRomani
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShaShaBoomStar on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:39 am

So, um, when do we start?

ShaShaBoomStar
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DancingRomani on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:10 am

I assume once the creator makes their intro post?

DancingRomani
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:13 am

We are going to start in the evening to give anyone a chance to join if they haven't already. During the beginning of this first Arc im going to just let people jump in if they join, but after this im going to restrict it to special occasions.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!