Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Anyone willing to help?

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Anyone willing to help?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:08 am

Hi, I am new to roleplaying and have been looking around and reading some of the roleplays and I am completely amazed! I would like some help with my writing because I tend to go on and on and not stop for puncuation. Also I don't want to join a Rp and sound babyish or make a "Mary-sue." So can you please help me? A tutor would be nice but if no-one is willing anyone can help. Thanks :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

F16superman2
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Anyone willing to help?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:16 am

I can help you out. When writing, be sure to make it clear-cut and easy to read. Now, a college level post would be great, but not expected. I have no problem with a post as long as I understand it. If you're descibing the environment, describe the lushness of the foliage of the trees, the heat of the sun, the softness of the grass, things of that nature. If you are describing your character, make it like I'm looking at a picture of this person, or describe what they are feeling and why. Punctuation is important because punctuation makes you look smart. If you're looking for an RP, I can give you a position in one of the ones I run.
"]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:14 am

Thanks for the advice :) Can you please give me links to your Rps?

F16superman2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:18 am

I can't give you actual links, but I can tell you in which forum section they are.

The Cooler is in Realistic Roleplay.
Kingdom Hearts: A New Beginning IC 2 is in Fiction Based Roleplay
High School Roleplay is in School Based Roleplay

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby general kane on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:20 am

hey im here to help .
join the development team:

development-team-recruting-now-t9256.html
________________________________________________________________________________

i went to war to serve my lord .

general kane the man who saved earth.

general kane
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:28 am

Thanks for the Rp's Truegrave I'm looking at them now :)

General Kane do you want a piece of writing?

F16superman2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby general kane on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:45 am

a piece of what ??

general kane
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:56 am

never mind.

F16superman2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Driney on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:08 am

F16superman2, don't forget to use capital letters at the beginning of sentences. ; )

Driney
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Creiko on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:21 am

When it comes to using puntuation, I find it helps if you read it aloud; where you come to a natural pause, think about if you've finished speaking about that aspect of the subject, then a full stop might be best. If puase for only a split second then a comma is what you need. If you're describing something and decide to add extra info before continuing, then you do: comma, extra info, comma.

eg: "Taylor, who lived with her grandmother, was on her way to her father's house in Maine."

(Yeah, I know it's abad example,but couldn't think of anything else. XD)

Like True Grave pointed out, using emotive language when descibling thinks makes it easier for the people you RP with to visualise the scene and makes your posts more interesting to read. =D

I hope all this makes sense and helps at least a little.

*walks across thread leaving muddy footprints*

Creiko
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:25 am

Thanks Driney, had a forgetful moment there :)

Creiko that was some good advice, I'll remember that. :)

F16superman2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby missa_wiccan_chick on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:02 am

Always make sure that you describe things well. The more detail that you put in your writing, the easier it is for people to completely understand what you are trying to say/do. example:

Sue walked up to the old, worn down house, peeking threw the dust covered window pane. She was making sure that there was no one inside the abandoned lot, before she crept around the back of the house. She found the back door easily, and miraculously the door was unlocked. Slowly, she turned the knob and pushed the door open. It groaned in welcome as she entered the dark, untouched house. Her foot steps thudded lightly against the wooden floor boards, her shoes leaving foot prints in the five year old dust.

Detail, detail, detail!!!!
" I am the computer ninja!!! I can find anything on the net... five minutes flat!!"
"Life is nothing but a big roller coaster.....make sure you fasten your seat belt."

missa_wiccan_chick
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SaveYou on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:28 am

Miss Wicca's right about detail, so here's another one for you to study ^^" (Yes, it's one of mine xD)

She sat in her darkened apartment, the only light being the moonlight filtering through the window and the snow coming down in the dark sky outside. She was dressed only in a small, knee-length black dress, sitting on her bed, with her knees drawn up to her chin. Her raven hair covered some of her face, the rest falling to just below her shoulders. Her pale skin looked pure white in the moonlight, and her silvery/ice blue eyes were covered by her eyelids. They snapped open, and she slid off the bed, closing the curtains, so she was in complete darkness. He'd gotten her letter, and as was her duty, she had to start her revenge - first, by taking out his friends and family. She didn't want to, but as the eldest daughter, it was her duty. The only thing that seperated her, and the rest of the assasins in her family was that she didn't share their bloodlust. Turning on the lamp on her bedside table, she changed clothes, into a dark jumper and jeans, and tied her hair up out of her face, into a bun. Pulling on a hoodie, she zipped it up, and pulled up the hood, hiding most of her face, with only her mouth visible. She slipped a knife into her pocket, and her second note, as well as lipstick, before turning off all the lights in her apartment, and leaving through the fire escape. Most people would think she was asleep. Coming onto the street, the snow crunched under her boots as she made her way to her first destination.

About an hour later, she laid the man's corpse on his bed. He had been living alone, which was a relief. She had cleaned away most of the blood from when she had cut his throat and threw a blanket over him, bringing it to his chin. No-one would discover him until the following morning. Taking some toilet paper, she cleaned the blood from her hands and the knife, before pulling the lipstick from his pocket. Going to the mirror in his bedroom, she wrote 'Por Siempre' on the mirror. All the killers of her family had used the phrase, on everyone except their mark. They didn't have to, because normally the marked's body was lying at the bottom of the docks. Most of them hadn't been recovered. Cleaning the blood from the floor, she made sure everything was tidy, before leaving. Finding a postbox, she slipped the note into it. He'd get it in the morning. It was just like the last. A picture of her, the exact same as he had recieved before, with lyrics to the next part of the song. That was how they all did it, though no-one had ever reported having the cards, nor had the cards ever been found - they were always recovered after the target was killed, to be used for the next one. Returning to her home, she placed the clothes she'd worn at the back of the wardrobe, and slipped into bed, quickly falling into a dreamless sleep. Now all she had to do was wait until morning.

SaveYou
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:32 am

Thanks for your help Miss Wiccan and Save you, I will try and put as much detail as possible in my characters and whereabouts they are.

I have a question, what is godmodding?

F16superman2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SaveYou on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:36 am

God-modding is when you control someone elses characters without their permission. The easiest way to explain is this;

"[character name] pulled out a gun, and shot [character name] in the head, resulting in his death"

That is not something most people would appreciate, so don't make a major move with someone elses character without their permission. That's one of the worst things you can do in an RP, besides make a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu

SaveYou
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:39 am

Oh, I understand now, thanks SaveYou :)

F16superman2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DCLXVI on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:26 am

Yet, you don't want to get too lengthy, or (unless you're a better writer than anybody I've seen make this mistake) your audience will get bored. And just skip it.

Talking of punctuation, I figured I'd add my two cents. This phrase has had all the punctuation and capitalization removed:

Mary where Jane had had had had had had had had had had had the teachers approval Mary would have been right

Properly punctuated, that is:

Mary, where Jane had had "had," had had "had had." Had "had had" had the teacher's approval, Mary would have been right.

Substituting more descriptive verbs for "had" in some places, along with moving the instance of "Mary" to the middle of the sentence, makes it even easier to understand:

Where Jane had written "had," Mary had written "had had." Had "had had" warranted the teacher's approval, Mary would have been right.
ImageImageImageImageImage

DCLXVI
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks for the advice DCLXVI, I'll keep that in mind. :)

F16superman2
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Creiko on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:31 am

I would suggest joining or just reading through a few RP's or OOC's to pick up on how to structure your character and posts, et cetera, the best way to learn about something is to observe it in action.

Creiko
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby F16superman2 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:38 am

Thanks Creiko, I am learning new stuff by reading and watchind Rps. :)

F16superman2
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!