Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Art of Succession

Art of Succession

a part of “Art of Succession”, a fictional universe by merodach.

Medieval intrigue: The Lion of Cartada is dead. Who will pick up the pieces of his kingdom? A rp of medieval intrigue and dynastic conflict. Writers welcome!

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Art of Succession”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Art of Succession

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby merodach on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:49 am

He had conquered the world.

The hundred kingdoms had rallied beneath his lion banner when he cast down the Godkings of Seygos. His iron horsemen had taught obeisance to the Free Cities in the west and reached the ends of the world in the east.

Now, the Lion lies dying, and the empire he had created without an heir.

Concept:

Art of Succession is a realistic roleplay set in a medieval world without magic. Change the destiny of a kingdom as you delve into the conspiracies and shifting alliances at court.

PCs should be powerful lords or ladies or others with access to the highest circles of politics, such as the most prominent artists, intellectuals, or physicians of the day. Peasants who find a rusty sword stuck in a rock and go off to rescue princesses locked away in towers are routinely executed in this land. And it goes without saying that cat people and vampires are eviscerated and served as delicacies at the monthly feast.

Players should also refrain from making flawless characters. Everyone is messed up in some way or another, and nobody has infinite resources. Exploring your character's weaknesses is just as fun as using their strengths.

To further the intrigue aspect, it is strongly reccomended that characters enter the game with pre-existing connections to other PCs and NPCs, whether they be friend, family, or foe.

We also require that posts are mostly free from grammatical and spelling errors. Third person is suggested, but go with whatever works best for your situation. Joint posting, where each player in a thread writes a single post that can be edited by any of them at the same time, is encouraged. It's especially useful for dialogue-heavy episodes.

The plot, and even world lore, for this game has not yet been determined. You get to create it. Lore is to arise naturally from in character roleplaying. When playing it's perfectly acceptable to have your character drop a random proper noun or two: "Lord Atworl isn't even a match for those cowardly Jans." If desired, you can expand your descriptions of who Lord Atworl is or what the Jans are in later posts. Feel free to invite other players to fill in the blanks of your posts as well.

If the idea of a game of medieval intrigue set in a largely realistic world has caught your attention any, please feel free to submit a character! As we've said, the details of our setting are largely blank and we'd love to accommodate any ideas that you may have.

Character template

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] Your character's name.
[b]Titles:[/b] If any
[b]Standing:[/b] Your character's position in court.
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]House:[/b] The name of your House, should he/she have one.
-[i]Words:[/i] The house motto
-[i]Seat:[/i] The seat of your estates
-[i]Family:[/i] Family Members (optional)
-[i]History:[/i] History of the family (optional)
[b]Reputation:[/b] Whatever about other characters in court could know about your character, whether it pertain to his personality or history. (need not necessarily be true).

Currently established lore:

The Kings of the White City of Seygos ruled the Hundred Kingdoms until but ten years ago, when Amalric of Cartada, called the Lion of Redrock, cast them down and took the title of King of Kings for himself. Amalric has since moved his court from Redrock (the capital of Cartada), to Seygos to rule over his new empire. He had three legitimate sons, all of whom had died. Cedric, his bastard, was bosom friends with the eldest son Basil until his death and enjoys great popularity with both court and commons. Amalric's third wife, Soah, is also currently pregnant.
Last edited by merodach on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

merodach
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Art of Succession [medieval intrigue]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby inu-bri on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:27 am

I made a character, I hope she's ok :)
Catch teh butterfly!
*by this person*

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

inu-bri
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby merodach on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:40 pm

inu-bri wrote:I made a character, I hope she's ok :)

Hey inu-bri, thanks for submitting Crisiana. :D

Just a quick point

When she was at a court ball at the age of 19 she met Prince Basil and they immediately hit it off. This followed by many midnight rendezvous in the forest for the two years. Days before they were going to reveal their unity Basil was killed and she has been grieving since. Despite this she still has an eye for other suitors but it is unlikely anyone will ever hold her heart again. When she told her parents of their escapades they began to devise plans to get her the thrown, something of which she isn't sure she really wants.

Marriages in this era are largely political. Since Basil was the crown prince, there was probably good reason for Crisiana's father to want that match. Do you mind adding maybe a sentence about the standing of House Atariani to justify why a betrothal would have been a viable match for the royal family?

Also, do you mind adding in

Standing: Your character's position in court.

If her lord father isn't in the capital with her, do you mind giving a reason for Crisiana being in court? (ex: father's orders in hopes of finding a new suitor)

merodach
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby inu-bri on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 am

I'll fix that now :D

edit: fixed it up, tell me if that is more what you're looking for :)

inu-bri
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby merodach on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:28 am

Ah great to know. :D

I'd suggest toning down the bit about the cavalry though. Because

1. Over thirty-three thousand cavalry for one lord is a bit much. Maybe about a tenth of that if you meant knights and men-at-arms.

and

2. Providing your liege lord with soldiers in times of war is service expected from every feudal vassal. "Giving" him soldiers wouldn't work because it would just be forcing the king to pay for soldiers that were going to be serving him anyways from his own pocket. I suggest just mentioning that her house was rich for a good dowry and was powerful enough for the king to want to stay on the good side of.

merodach
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby inu-bri on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:43 am

merodach wrote:Ah great to know. :D

1. Over thirty-three thousand cavalry for one lord is a bit much. Maybe about a tenth of that if you meant knights and men-at-arms.

and

2. Providing your liege lord with soldiers in times of war is service expected from every feudal vassal. "Giving" him soldiers wouldn't work because it would just be forcing the king to pay for soldiers that were going to be serving him anyways from his own pocket. I suggest just mentioning that her house was rich for a good dowry and was powerful enough for the king to want to stay on the good side of.

ok I've fixed both of these, is there anything else? :)

inu-bri
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby merodach on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:15 am

inu-bri wrote:
merodach wrote:Ah great to know. :D

and

ok I've fixed both of these, is there anything else? :)

and in return her Lord Father would give the King 1000 cavalry units and 5000 Crowns a year

Again, I suggest you cut out this part. "Giving" the king soldiers that are already owed to him makes no sense.

But just a nitpick, welcome aboard.

merodach
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby inu-bri on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:20 am

Sorry I totally missed that part O-O

inu-bri
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Misdemeanor on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:25 am

Pardon me, I have a question out of curiosity and to ensure I am not misspelling it. The name should be spelled Amalric, Almaric or Almarik? Since in your introduction and OOC post the names seemed to be different. I just want to clear that up...
Would you be the one to save me from nothingness or torment me with your sweet lies of salvation?

Misdemeanor
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby merodach on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:54 am

Misdemeanor wrote:Pardon me, I have a question out of curiosity and to ensure I am not misspelling it. The name should be spelled Amalric, Almaric or Almarik? Since in your introduction and OOC post the names seemed to be different. I just want to clear that up...

Oops, sorry about that.

The name should be "Amalric". Bit of a screw-up here as I'm collaborating on this stuff with a friend who hasn't made an account here yet. <,<

Thanks for the heads up!

merodach
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Frawg on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:52 am

I find that one of the most interesting aspects of my PCs is shared history with other PCs. For example, my Gavon usurped Delian Vaynheart's duchy about a decade ago and helped kill off his family. This provides untold points of contention. All of our PCs will at the least have heard of each other, but I think most of them will have had some sort of shared history. So, lets get talking about what this shared history is.

Obviously Gavon Raine is going to have a ton of it with his blind cousin who's name eludes me. However, even though I made this post I'm not going to make any suggestions at the moment because it's 5:30 in the morning and I really need to get to sleep right now. But I'll have some soon enough. Don't hesitate to post ideas here or PM them to me.

Frawg
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:36 pm

Ehehh... As usual I break the mold. I except Phaileru to strike other nobles as a bit of a joke... Although I can already see that he would have met the Montclairs as Az Ndal is also in the south of the 100 kingdoms, and growing in an attempt to challenge the port city of Coldharbour for dominance of South Sea trade... which would inevitably lead to some cruel looks towards Az Ndal, since it's navy is essentially a very organized, patriotic, slave-bearing smuggling ring.

I'm sure Phaileru has someone check his drinks after reading that bit about poisions... The vast difference between energetic, flamboyant Phaileru and more reserved Larsus is also a point of contention, if not just humor.

I'm absolutely positive Crisiana would have received a few pieces of pearl jewelry and probably a rare Paradisaical Cologne (the sort illegal to be taken out of Az Ndal) from Prince Phaileru, both because he tends to give away those such things as a form of showing off, and because he's famously after whatever woman passes his glance, if they've ever met would be irrelevant to be honest.

Angelique would have received plenty of perfumes, although Phaileru has enough social tact not to send a blind princess jewelry...

Otherwise Phaileru is a world traveler and has a love of foreign culture and study, and he speaks enough languages to go literally anywhere seamlessly, although the chances of other Diplomats speaking Udali or even having been to Az Ndal would probably be slim due to its lingering reputation as a cesspool.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 360Tan on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm going to create a character in a second but I have one quick question.

Many of the aspects of this plot line seem to be similer to a series of books called A Song of Ice and Fire. This world would not happen to be based off of this series would it?

Not only that but the picture of the throne just happens to be a picture of the throne from this series. A throne made from the swords of the king's vanquished armies.

Either way, this looks to be a lot of fun. I will be stepping out of my usual character roles and joining this.

360Tan
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Frawg on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:37 pm

It most certainly is influenced by A Song of Ice and Fire, but also by diadochi and charlesmagne, along with countless other imperceptible influences. And glad you're interested in joining!

Frawg
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby merodach on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:52 pm

360Tan wrote:I'm going to create a character in a second but I have one quick question.

Many of the aspects of this plot line seem to be similer to a series of books called A Song of Ice and Fire. This world would not happen to be based off of this series would it?

Not only that but the picture of the throne just happens to be a picture of the throne from this series. A throne made from the swords of the king's vanquished armies.

Either way, this looks to be a lot of fun. I will be stepping out of my usual character roles and joining this.

My fault, I just couldn't find a properish image for the rp.

Great to know that you're interested (and have read ASoIaF) though :D

I'll just wait till you get a character up, and we'll be starting this rp in earnest.

merodach
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 360Tan on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:06 am

might have to wait until tomorrow. It is very late and I am not sure I want to start him/her tonight

360Tan
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby merodach on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:38 am

360Tan wrote:might have to wait until tomorrow. It is very late and I am not sure I want to start him/her tonight

No worries.

merodach
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VemarielImbelinde on Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:39 pm

I will be joining the roleplay after I educate myself on the characters and the current plot so my character wouldn't disturb the flow of the plot. This is largely based on European Medieval Politics correct? Should prove a challenge. I hope everyone is still posting here.

Another question is where is the Lioness (Soah) now? Did she give birth? The last post with the midwife confused me. I am thinking of making my character a cousin of Soah's as well as her head lady-in-waiting (handmaiden/ attendant) so that would be helpful.

VemarielImbelinde
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Art of Succession

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Clipse on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:33 pm

Is this roleplay still open for new characters to join ?

Clipse
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: [OOC] Art of Succession

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VemarielImbelinde on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:37 am

Someone breathes on this? You're alive? Praise be to the northern gods. Hello there youngling looking for good roleplay I presume?

VemarielImbelinde
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!