Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Bartimaeus Trilogy

a topic in Books & Literature, a part of the RPG forum.

For any roleplay based on books or other forms of literature.

Bartimaeus Trilogy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jman1906 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:54 pm

DISCLAIMER: All the following events are fictional and does not correspond to reality.
I do not want to kill and or harm any part of the real British government, harm any real person, or buy and or use illegal weapons or substances.

This Role Play is set in the world of the Bartimaeus Trilogy, there are some changes that will now be noted though. I have a added a new class demon that is called Janni, this is because in the books there was a huge gap between Foliot and Djinni.
In the Bartimaeus books computers and guns are completely unused because it would probably be a plot line problem. But since we don’t have a plot line you are allowed to use guns and computers all you want.

You don’t have to but you might want to read the books, even if you didn’t this Role Play will be easy to follow. Those who have read the books will be helpful though.

In the books the police of London where the Night Police, who where all lycanthropes. So in this world the London Police are %40 normal police, %60 night police, there is a very small amount of riot control because the night police usually handle riots, and there is the normal amount of SWAT. The gun laws here are that you can only own hand guns, shotguns, and short ranged bolt action rifles, and you are not allowed to carry them in White Hall. But if your rebelling you probably are going to brake all the gun laws anyway.
This world is basically the real world but Demons, Magicians, and other magical things added from the books.

Anyway this is set ten years before Nathaniel started training as a Magician, so you can’t be him, but we are using current technology. The British government is beating down on the people more than the books say they did at this time, so the peasants could rebel if pushed.

I will be the game master for this role play, I will ultimately decide arguments about technology, demons, the world etc. I think for now I am going to only lightly control the combat system.
I don’t live in the UK (and nobody really lives in the Bartimaeus world) so we will be dollars, just for the sake of most of us being more familiar with it. In this world the global economy is doing just fine.

Things/People you can be:
Magicians: Starting items: A very nice house, $5,000 in your bank account, the ability to summon demons, and if you want a job in the government.
Magicians may seem like they are way better than any other starting class, but this is untrue. Since they work for the government they have to follow a code of conduct, they have to go to the Devereaux’s best friends plays, and the very occasional ball. Devereaux does throw lots of parties but you don’t have to go to those.
You cannot have children, and you might get stuck with a apprentice to train.
You really don’t like to use guns but you can a bit. You can rebel against the government if you want to.

Demons: Starting powers: Detonation spell, shape shifting, and other demon spells. This is the most powerful but most restricted thing you can start off as. Demons have many powerful abilities, but must be summoned. But to make this playable you can have a player master or you can have very lenient master. You can only start off as a mid level Djinni or lower.

Commoner with magic resistance: Starting things: A cheap apartment, a okay job (or worse).
You are resistant to magical attacks, I will roll for you how resistant. Other wise you have to money of a normal British commoner (feel free to somehow get more), commoners don’t have a very good life style. If you want better skills like a robot engineer to make robotic weapons or something I will have to lower you magic resistance a bit. But you can start out as a normal commoner and go to school. Magic is almost impossible for you to learn, unless you find a teacher, and even then it will take years of study. You can have no magical resistance and start with something valuable.
What your probably going to want to do is rebel against the british government, or you could fight the rebelling commoners. The Resistance hasn’t started yet, but just for fun you can start out as Kitty, but I will still roll for your magic resistance.

The British Empire is ripe for rebellion, will it stabilize and live on for ages to come? Or will its oppressive weight finally be overthrown? You will decide.

Imp — A manipulative form of spirit lower in rank than any other demon.
Foliot — A demon that is second to last of the lowest demons, only above imps.
Janni — A demon that is between Djinni and Foliot.
Djinni — A class of powerful spirits who are good at negotiating and snappy retorts, according to Bartimaeus, they also possess perfect night-sight.
Afrit — A demon of fire; the second most powerful form of spirit.
Marid — The most powerful rank of demon normally called to work under a magician's service. They radiate so much power that it's possible to track their movements by following a residual magical trail. Something that is almost impossible to summon by yourself, even with the help of another magician.

Prime Minister: Rupert Devereaux
Junior Minister: Herbert Greenhilt
Lieutenant Ministers: John Anderson, & Leon Gibson
Minister of Defense: Martha Whitwell
Minister of Internal Affairs: Gregory Rogers
Minister of External Affairs: Nathin Steinhauer
Minister of International Affairs: James Patin
Minister of Justice: Smith Winnett
Minister of Health: Olivia Mayer
He who wanders with purpose has no reason to wander.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jman1906
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: Bartimaeus Trilogy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saxious on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:53 pm

Hey, I am interested to join, though I may be a little rusty as it has been a while since i read the books, but i do know who i want to be...Fabaal (at least that's what i think the Jackal looking Afrit's name is...the one who has a killing appetite and is unbelievably stupid but physically powerful...and helps Bartimaeus escape from London Tower in the first book).
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
~Buddha

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Saxious
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rapidark on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:39 pm

Im down to join, I love the books and Ive been looking for a Bartimaus trilogy rp for awahile.

Rapidark
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jman1906 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:01 am

Good to hear. You guys can just start playing right now. But don't forget to tell who you are and give some background. I think its Jabor your talking about, Fabaal is the one who is Bartimaus' mortal enemy, and is smart. Jabor is a lug of Djinni who is really tough.

Jman1906
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saxious on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:03 am

Here is my CS (keeping it simple, k?):

Name: Jabor

Demon type: Djinni

Personality: Loves to fight (especially against demons that are weaker than himself), he is somewhat clever when it comes to fighting (hand to hand) but his general IQ is shameful...he is a weapon for war, not thinking, and he is tough like hell

Bio:
In the middle ages, year 1500, Jabor was in France, used to fend off the English invaders and fought besides the French troops (disguised as a French soldier and in year 1650 he was in Portugal working for a wizard who wished to increase his political however...Due to Jabor's short temper and short patient the wizard was execute, because Jabor was too violent when he was fighting his wizard's enemies' demons and caused too much destruction to the city, and when it came to the 1700 he was in Spain helping the Spanish Inquisition to win their battle against Heresy. After that he had a small break from fighting and was called back into the service of a wizard of Britain, and serves as a 'battle assassin' against his rivals, and is to kill certain Demons that gets their noses too deep into his master's plan; so far Jabot has been successful but has also caused quiet a lot of damages to the public, but like he usually says: "I don't giv' a damn about the public."

typical appearance(s):

P.S I just want to remind everyone that it is only silver that harms demons/Djinnies/imps/whatever...so normal bullets doesn't do a thing against them

Saxious
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jman1906 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:17 pm

Thats a really good demon. You are accepted and can start role playing right now.
I am very sorry that I forgot to tell you guys about silver, and bullets against demons! Silver is very deadly to demons, it radiates extreme cold to them and when they get cut by it or touch they are hurt badly by it. Silver costs 10 dollars an ounce.
Bullets can really hurt Imps and Foliot, as demons get more powerful they are harder to hurt with bullets, but Djinni can still be taken down as long as you have something better than a 22 millimeter round. Silver bullets though cut strait trough magic shields and are extremely deadly to all demons, but silver bullets cost ten dollars a round so they are pricey.

Jman1906
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saxious on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:56 am

Jabor was sitting at the top of one of the houses in London. He was in his usual Jackal shape, letting the gloomy, cold and dirty looking (and smelling) rain pour down onto him and down his muscular body. He smiled as he heard the sound of a car coming closer and closer to his position...it was the car, who was being driven by the very person Jabor was sent to kill, however his master had made it very clear that 'there could be no evidence left behind' and Jabor would follow that order...to the letter.

The car came down the road of the house that Jabor was on, and when it came close to Jabor he jumped down from the roof of the building, smashing both of his fists powerfully into the engine of the driving car. The car was sent into the air, the front part and the engine completely destroyed, and the car made a loop in the air before landing on the ceiling of the car against the hard road.
Jabor turned around and looked at the car, the windows were damaged, the paint was badly scratched, and the wheels were still turning from the car's previous drive tour...Jabor took a step towards the car then his sensitive ears caught some words being muttered and immediately knew that the man inside the car was a wizard...and was summoning his own Demons for protection.

Before Jabor could turn around three shapes jumped out of the thin rainy air...one had the shape of a cyclopes, the other as a centaur, the third had the shape of a big and muscular man with white wings, "This is going to be damn fun! Bring it on!" Jabor howled and charged against the three shapes, his hands locked together into fists.

He dodged a blow from the cyclopes, and returned the attack straight into the creature's stomach, emptying it from air, and then the other hand buried itself into the right side of the cyclops' face, sending it flying through the air.
The Centaur rammed straight into Jabor, hitting him hard and sending him back a bit and while Jabor was trying to get onto his feet the angel-looking demon flew up and striking into Jabor's back, forcing him down on the ground again and then grabbing around Jabor's throat preventing him from breathing, Now we're talking! Jabor thought, then his arms shot backwards, grabbing the angel-like demon's arms and with Jabor's strength he managed to pull the demon over his head and down hard on the ground, and then he jumped onto the demon and broke it's neck.
"Who's next?!" He roared at the two other demons.

The Cyclops had gotten back on his feet, though it was clear that he had gotten two big bruisers by Jabor's punches, and it was now charging against Jabor, his right hand raised to return the punch, Now...lets get serious, Jabor thought, then when he cyclops was close he send a detonator bolt straight for the cyclops' face, and he reacted far too late took the whole bolt into his face, "Bull's Eye!" Jabor roared triumphant, and then he gave the Centaur all his attention. The Centaur and he charged straight into each other, already using their fists, hooves, teeth, nails to bring the opponent down, even dirty tricks were put into use, but in the end, Jabor fired another detonator bolt and this one killed the centaur.
Deciding that he had spent enough time for his own fun he began doing what he was assigned, the wizard had managed to run away on foot, but Jabor hunted the man down quickly ended his life and threw the dead body, along with the car into the Thames, then he patiently picked up all the broken glass, metal pieces, and cleared the road fro any evidence of the little 'incident' that had occurred, although he couldn't get the paint off the road he just left it where it was and returned back to his master to report his success.

Saxious
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby StrangeAndDeranged on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:58 pm

Name: Atticus(Roman name)
Demon: A mid-level djinni
Personality: He is extremely smart and strategic he uses this to his advantage in battle. He will always do the smart thing whether running away or fighting. He is reknown in Ancient Rome and other kingdoms for his battle prowess, once fighting off at least 15 djinni and completing the task( Bartimaeus did something like that....)
Bio: The last time he was summoned to earth was for the Japanese. In those days he portrayed a fox demon. His enemies underestimated him becasue of his appearrance, which ultimatly led to their death and his side winning the battle.

StrangeAndDeranged
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!