Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A basic guide to creating characters

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

A basic guide to creating characters

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dante215 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:28 am

Here are some things I have generally found help one in creating better characters...
1. Start off by making simple characters, adding bits and pieces as you go along, remember, first try isn't always the best, it takes time to make characters of a decent standard and it's not an easy thing to do, it can take hours, even days to get a character to the level you want them...
2. Use other peoples characters as templates, if you can't manage the template they have set or it's too simple, look towards another persons character.
3. Work on your skills at rping and writing as well, ultimately, as there two things improve as will the quality of your characters...

I hope you found my simple tips useful... I will post up a basic and advanced template later on...

Note, god mod characters are the worst types, nobody likes a character that is untouchable or that pops out some random move that kills somebodies character instantly... Characters that can come back from the dead however are commonly used and thus it is not discouraged for one to make a character that can come back to life...
Last edited by Dante215 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wonder, how much I have lost over the years and how much I have gained from these experiences. Intellect, wisdom, knowledge? I would cast all these aside just for a second chance, a second chance to make everything I have done wrong right once more... Each time I stare into space I ponder, what would have happened had I done things differently? If I had been in a different family, met different people, would I have ever been happy, or would life have just punched me in the gut like it always has...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dante215
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Re: A basic guide to creating characters

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dante215 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:30 am

Basic character template should include:
A) A short synopsis of what the character is or it's favorite quote...
B) The name, careful when you choose this as it can not be changed after the character is created.
C) The description is characters general appearance, a must when you make the character as it sets every persons outlook upon the character but is easily changeable...
D) The characters persona, it shows your characters general outlook on the world and how he acts in general
E) Anything he is wearing and any weapons he has on him, a weapon in the multiverse is a must as if you have none then you aren't likely to last very long, however, things like claws and the such should be included under description.
F) Any history your character has, it isn't a must and if your not in the mood it can be missed but if you are then make sure to put some effort into it...

Basic template
Description:
Form
Description of form.
Second form(if it has one)
Description of form(if it has one)

Personality
Personality
likes]
I- not necessary but include if you wish
dislikes]

Equipment
Outfit
Weapons
magic]some detail necessary but not a lot, if you have no magic then don't include spell list...
any other traits or abilities
(Note, equipment can evolve over time as new items may be obtained and new spells may be learned...)

history
Early history
Late history

(note:
history is optional...)
Last edited by Dante215 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dante215
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dante215 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:16 am

Average template:
Description template:
Race:

Sub-Race:

Pic

Physical appearance form 1:
(at least two or three decent sized lines)

Physical appearance form 2(if has one):
(at least two or three decent sized lines)(if has one)

Personality template:
Personality:
(several lines, should include, height, skin color, eyes, shape/ mold, hair color, hair length ect.)
Dislikes
Favorite foods
Least favorite/ Most disliked foods
Favorite drinks
Least favorite/ Most disliked drinks
Sexual interests

Partners
Family
Friends
Acquaintances
Allies
Enemies

Equipment template:
Attire(detailed as possible)
Other equipment(Weapons, armor, pendants ect.)
important material possessions
important emotional possessions

Spells:
Spell name
How it works
Strengths
Weaknesses/flaws

Traits(As in anything else that is abnormal such as flying, inhuman speed ect, traits should also be explained... Generic magics can be listed under either traits or spells but should be set up as a spell...)

History template:

Chapter one name
Chapter one info(As much detail as possible, should be between 4 and 5 lines long)

Chapter two name
Chapter two info(As much detail as possible, should be between 4 and 5 lines long)

Any more than that is unnecessary but if you really wish to go further then go as many as you wish, remember to add in as much detail as possible...

Dante215
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dante215 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Dante215
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!