Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Character Portraits?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Character Portraits?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RichterGotz on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Does anybody out there have a reliable source for character portraits for use in RP's? It seems like I spend more time scouring the internet for a decent character pic than it takes for me to actually write the character sheet. Any links, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
"I have learned that Anger and Will, joined together, are the greatest Power. I have learned to meditate Anger and Will with clarity and precision, and I have learned to open the hidden reservoirs of Dark Side Power." ―Palpatine, from The Book of Anger

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RichterGotz
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Character Portraits?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:49 pm

What have you been trying Google images? If so, what key words do you type in?
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Romaneck on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Well alternatively to googling there is also

Deviantart in which a lot of images might be found

CGhub where you will find images of all sorts, this one is more oriented towards concept art thus some of the work might be unpolished or be more sketchy

minus which provided you are following the right people will give you some nifty images (like this gallery)

There is also pinterest, which is overwhelming at times and while it might be hard to get started on something once you find it it really gets you going example number 2 here
"Incessant wind sweeps the plain. It murmurs on across grey stone, carrying dust from far climes to nibble eternally at the memorial pillars. There are a few shadows out there still but they are the weak and the timid and the hopelessly lost.

It is immortality of a sort.

Memory is immortality of a sort.

In the night, when the wind dies and silence rules the place of glittering stone, I remember. And they all live again."

Romaneck
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:05 pm

http://drakonis.org/ - An amazing site for character portraits that was passed on by another RPG user.

Modesty
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Or you can always try cropping/cutting out the parts of a wallpaper that you like. I like this site's wallpapers.

Alpha Coders

Previous examples are good too, you know we should just pile in here, and create a list of good character portrait links as a resource for anyone.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RichterGotz on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Thanks bunches for the feedback errybudy!

Drakonis is amazing, I can see myself wasting a lot of time there. Once again, thanks for the feedback.

RichterGotz
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 pm

I normally resort to my knowledge of old BBC TV drama's and science fiction programs for pictures, the wide ranging original doctor who series alone has so many side characters and the like its quite an unending source of pictures and portraits.

Old Tv programs such as Doctor who, Blake 7, I Claudius, Secret army and who knows how many more are quite useful but i try to avoid pictures of characters of importance in the series since i will be influenced by their personality.

I find the long process of looking for pictures quite useful for reflection on the character itself and the finding of the image possibly one of the most critical decisions in character creation. The picture greatly influences the personality of a character i create as i ask myself exactly who is that person or more importantly who this person could be.

For Anime pictures... i used to know a site but i can't remember the name so if i recall it i will post it.

If you want me to provide you with a list of old BBC programs with promising pictures i could do so.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!