Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Collobrative writing

a topic in The Writer's Lounge, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

A place for original short stories, fanfiction, essays, and the like.

Collobrative writing

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:46 am

Hi everyone it's been a while since I've posted but I used to GM a lot round these parts. In the interim I've been keeping active with creative writing(scripts, short stories etc) but I just don't have the time to GM any more at least not the way I'd like to. Anyway the thing I love the most about RPing is the collobrative writing aspect so I was wondering if a few of you wouldn't be interested in getting together to write something. I enjoy pretty much any genre and if you check out my profile you can find examples of my world building and writing. Scifi, steampunk, horror, mystery, magical realism I'll try anything. I'm not the best writer but I want to learn and I reckon by writing with people I can.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Collobrative writing

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OutlawTorn on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:19 pm

Dude I'd love to hook up on something.

You have any ideas you've either been playing with lately, or something you've wanted to try for some time?

I pretty much like any genre as well. I steer away from teen/school-oriented stuff (although Idon't get the sense that's going to be an issue with you), and historical stuff, unless painstakingly well-done (which I don't have the time for right now).

I'll wait to hear back from you on some ideas, and work on some ideas myself in the mean-time.
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for it's own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."
—I Corinthians 13:1-7

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

OutlawTorn
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:01 pm

Cool, I'm not complely settled on genre but I have a few ideas floating about. I do know I want to try to bring a very RP like style to it though meaning multiple characters all taking part in their own story that builds on the overall narrative. I guess I'm looking for a sweeping epic kinda thing that has a ensemble cast or possibly a collection of short stories all taking place in the same world.

Genres like scifi, classic fantasy and steampunk lend themselves to this. I'm really looking for an excuse to build a world and show it off with a good story that shows off a lot of characters. I used to have a western style steampunk RP thing which is along the lines I'm currently thinking, although I'd be willing to try space opera.

Anyway I was thinking the best way to do this would be via google docs if you have a gmail account I'll send you my email and we can bounce around some ideas.

Haha yeah no high school stuff.

Anyone else out there want to join the fun? I'm think three to four writers will be enough any more would be too much. This will be a slow burn type deal no need to rush just good writing and stories.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Screwface Romeo on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:01 pm

This could be interesting. I'm GMing an RP right now, but it's a slow mover (big cast, high post quality requirement) and I've got plenty of time on my hands. If you want to do something Sci-Fi, along the lines of maybe Cyberpunk or Space Opera, I'd be totally down. I've actually been developing a massive-scale, dystopian Sci-Fi epic universe for quite some time. I don't know if you'd be at all interested in working within that universe, or something new, but it's an option, and I've done some worldbuilding for it already. It would also lend itself well to that collection of stories idea, since I wanted to emphasize the size of the universe.
Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything! | Gun-Toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes | NationStates's resident AR-18 fanatic and bayonet-hater | STOP! Before you call a magazine a clip, think of the children!

I probably like Quarians a bit more than I should. ShepxTali 4lyf3

Screwface Romeo
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:11 am

Hmmm a cyberpunk space opera sounds right up my alley. I'm a big fan of Willie Gibson so this could be a winner. Are you open to alterations being made to your creation or if you'd rather we could start from scratch? I know that sometimes it's hard to make changes when a lot of time has been invested into an RP idea.

I'd love to put something together that could be released as a free ebook which I guess is a good end goal. It's always bugged me that so much great writing goes on here and it never gets seen by an audience.

On a side note have we RPed in the past? Your name is ringing a bell. I guess it might just be because you're user name is distinctive.

In any case I'll PM you my Gmail address.

One more spot open if someone wants to get involved. It's looking like a cyberpunk space opera is on the cards. If you would like to work with a group of like minded writers please post below just remember it's a slow burn so patience is kind of a requirement.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Screwface Romeo on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Bosch wrote:Hmmm a cyberpunk space opera sounds right up my alley. I'm a big fan of Willie Gibson so this could be a winner.

That's always been one of my favorite genres. Say, if you like Cyberpunk, have you ever read Neal Stephenson?

Bosch wrote:Are you open to alterations being made to your creation or if you'd rather we could start from scratch? I know that sometimes it's hard to make changes when a lot of time has been invested into an RP idea.

That's why I'm thinking if we use it we might do something far away from the main plotline. It's a pretty large universe (most of the Milky Way is pretty thoroughly populated) and it's intended to be fairly diverse aside from a few basic things like techlevel, races, and one or two organizations that are major powers. I dislike the whole "planet of hats" trope, and wanted to create something approaching the level of diversity you'd really find in such a scenario. We could certainly tweak some things, and it's very far from being entirely fleshed out. Or we could do something new altogether.

Bosch wrote:I'd love to put something together that could be released as a free ebook which I guess is a good end goal. It's always bugged me that so much great writing goes on here and it never gets seen by an audience.

Me too. Actually, the point of my work is to create a pitch for a TV show that would follow my main plotline, with books and graphic novels used as free giveaways at cons to drum up interest and kickstarter money. I also planned to take advantage of all the great writing and ideas that people come up with on the internet by using a forum to crowd-source a lot of the background and fluff, with a small, trusted group of mods to act as a crapfilter, deciding which ideas make it into cannon.

Bosch wrote:On a side note have we RPed in the past? Your name is ringing a bell. I guess it might just be because you're user name is distinctive.

Maybe. I've run two RPs in the past. The first was a sort of fantasy/scifi/post-apocalyptic/western thing called Lock Stock and Barrel. The second was a Firefly RP that fell in when some personal issues came up for me. I also wrote a resource thread on how to accurately portray firearms in RP, maybe that's what you're remembering?

Screwface Romeo
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Cool we'll take it to gmail.

Like I said there's still room if anyone else wants in let me know.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Still looking for people who would like to write some stories in a cyberpunk space opera style universe. Might even get to see your name in lights, if your gonna be writing anyway why not get involved?

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!