Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat ā€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Dark Experiments/On-the-run/Mature/Literate RP?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Urban/Rural?

I think this would be best set in a giant metropolitan city like New York.
25%
I still think this should be set in a metropolis, but perhaps in another country, like Paris, France.
8%
I think this would be best set in a rural, isolated town in Nowhere, Country-as-F***.
25%
I still think this should be set in a rural town, but perhaps in another country, like Backwoods-fishing-town, Italy.
42%
I have a different idea that I mentioned in my post.
No votes

Total votes : 12

Re: Lovecraftian/On-the-run/Mature/Literate RP?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:40 pm

So just so that everyone who's been following this and thus probably don't look at the very first post anymore, I changed it to the new plot we've started talking about. I'm going to go ahead and out here too though, just for convenience.

So the current plot idea is thereā€™s a secret organization who has been researching another dimension with crazy shit in it that drives people who peer into it completely mad. The only people who survive a glimpse are left permanently ā€œscaredā€ on the inside and while left with strange, uncontrollable, and dangerous abilities, grow increasingly unstable. Eventually, one of two things happen. Either they crumble into nothing more than what usually happens to most people when they first peer into the other dimension. OR, they go psychotic and become a threat to everyone and everything. Luckily, despite their powers, they are all still human, and can still be killed. So those individuals who become unmanageable are just put down.

Weā€™d center around a few people who have been exposed, though we could allow some characters to be normal humans. Theyā€™d all still be on the run from the organization who wants to understand the other dimension. All the while, I will be exposing the characters to different situations that force them to make tough decisions or possible use their powers and force the eventual insanity to inch closer towards them. I also want to implement the use of the classic, crazy cults who know about the other side and perhaps have mixed opinions of the characters. Maybe some of them do TERRIBLE things and then use like the blood of their victims to write a characterā€™s name and so on. Over all, the characters will just be struggling within themselves, avoiding detection, some trying to understand the other dimension, trying to not hurt people or go insaneā€¦.and then hurt people, and so on.

This is the plot as it stands. Subject to being tweaked, but this is what this rp will be about right now.

(P.S. I am going to be at a family reunion this weekend starting tomorrow, Fri. So I won't really be able to get on the chatroom or post responses to PMs or posts here until I'm back probably on Monday. Just letting you guys know.)
Last edited by sethwy91 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:57 am

So I'm kinda back. I have watch tonight and probably won't have time to get back on until Monday. But, I wanted to run an idea I had while I've been gone on how we could start things off. Now, it deviates from the original "they all used to be experiments" thing and it means that the "on the run" atmosphere will kick in later, but it will still include these components, eventually.

So my idea is that we center around a group of friends who grew up together in a same small town. At the very beginning, they wake up, bound together in the middle of a ritual being performed by a cult. The cult will then cause a breach in the barrier between our world and the next. Thus creating the conditions to give the main characters their powers. After that, the cult members, all of whom aren't able to handle seeing the other dimension, go crazy and our characters escape.

I was thinking that in the pandemonium, the characters could accidentally use their powers for the first time to defend themselves from crazed cult members. (I figured this could be an interesting way to introduce the characters and what they can do.) From here, the characters just do their thing. I figure some of the characters may have powers that aren't defensive and thus won't be triggered in this initial fight and thus could come out slowly. Also, some characters probably won't to just irgnore what happened and forget about it, while others are very driven to understand what's happened. Ultimately though, all the characters will be dragged DEEP into it all.

We would also still have a secret organization researching the other dimension that catches wind of the cult and later abducts some of the characters to experiment on, from which the characters will have to try and escape, while other characters probably try to help them. Eventually, I figure this will end with the characters having to run or face constant assault from the secret organization. The characters will also be plagued by the cults remaining who are still involved in the same weird practices. The characters have to slowly unravel the mystery of what each of the three sides really wants and perhaps find a way to end all of it.

Would like feedback. Also, based on the fact that "small town" appears to be the most popular setting and it'd be far easier to set the beginning of this in the US, I have decided to set the beginning of this rp in a remote US town. Would also appreciate feedback on what state/region you all think I should set it in.
Last edited by sethwy91 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Igari on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:38 pm

Primary thoughts: your mind goes in a lot of different directions at once. We agreed on a plot. I do not want to change it again. It has already been changed the once. I will be on chatango but you cannot keep flipping ideas like this because we already gave you concepts for the first idea. I am very very fond of how it was pitched originally as: experimentation and torture used to create our powers--and I conceded a little if everyone was into some odd otherworldly forces. But I want to stick with more sci-fi elements because that was what made this interesting.

I don't want to be forced into a friend relationship like that--I think it is more interesting as we had it before. Also flat out, already had some ideas about in-game sibling and the like. I think secret organization i.e. cults is a bit over-done and I won't pretend I am enthused about this new suggestion. Like I mentioned, will be on the site tomorrow to discuss this but I think the changes are too numerous. You have to trust us to make things, give us freedom to add to your world, and not try to make up everything just because X or Y catches your fancy.

Consistency.
I fell into that purgatory between waking and dreaming, the transient space existing between conscious and subconscious. It was beautiful... ephemeral. And I could not help but wish to stay forever.

Igari
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 pm

So Igari, you're totally right and I apologize. All the new stuff I've been trying to add aren't what any of your originally joined for. It wasn't what interested you and if I decide I want to do something with the other idea, I should start another rp centering around that. But you all signed up for the original plot I had pitched to you all and that's what we should do.

Again, apologies for all the previous shit. That whole thing has been something I've wanted to do before and I was unfairly trying to use you guys for it despite the fact that the interest check you you all expressed interest in was something completely different.

SO! To everyone who is still considering to take part in this whole thing, we will just be returning to the very original plot. People, subjected to horrible experiments, with some crazy superhuman powers, living out in a small town in italy, while on the run from a big bad evil organization who wants to recapture them. NO NEED for further discussion on any other ideas I've pitched at you all. Just go back to default settings lol.

Also join our chat! http://rp-planning.chatango.com/

sethwy91
Member for 11 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!