Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Elder Souls

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Elder Souls

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aftershock on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:48 am

Good day dear readers! I've had this idea recently, for a TES V: SKYRIM and Dark Souls crossover, and wanted to see if there was any interest in such a thing.

Essentially we'd playing in Skyrim, thirty years after the events of the game. The main premise is that a strange new darkness starts leaking into the world, one not even the Aedra or Daedra know about. This darkness, and the creatures within it, start slowly spreading and attempting to take over all of Tamriel to turn it into the kind of dark, fallen realm that Dark Souls is set in. Similar to heroes drifting across the ages so that players can help each other in Dark Souls, strange foreigners have started showing up in Skyrim, with foreign weapons, armor and magic. Unlike how it usually works, these people are not here as spirits to assist those that summoned them, but are stuck in this strange new world.

We will be playing in the fairly early days. Whiterun has fallen, with old High King Ulfric and the Dragonborn assumed dead. The rest of Skyrim is reacting to this darkness in varying ways. The game will be huge, as with Skyrim, and the players are free to choose as a group what they will do and where they will go. As GM, I will drop hints through various means as to what's going on in the world. The players can choose what they will follow, and what they will ignore. Both have repurcussions. Players will start fairly low-powered and renowned, but may grow to become legends. Some players will even be able to play as the above mentioned foreigners, brought from distant (more dark-souls-esque) worlds and will be familiar with this darkness and its creatures. The magic and weapons of dark souls will also start leaking into the world of Skyrim.

Any biters?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aftershock
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: Elder Souls

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mosswine Leader on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:31 pm

This could be pretty interesting. So in addition to the normal enemies found in skyrim, there would also be demons and monsters from dark souls?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mosswine Leader
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aftershock on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Exactly. The demons and monsters of dark souls would be slowly spreading and taking over Skyrim, and the main challenge for the characters is figuring out how they're going to either survive this or defeat it.

Aftershock
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mosswine Leader on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Awesome! I feel a Patches persona coming on...

Mosswine Leader
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aftershock on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:23 am

I'll make sure to shoot you the link when it goes up. Because there hasn't exactly been an overwhelming response to the interest check and I've got other stuff on at the moment I'm postponing Elder Souls for a bit, but I'll send you a PM when it is up

Aftershock
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mosswine Leader on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Yeah no worries

Mosswine Leader
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fallacywonderland on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:14 pm

This sounds like a cool idea. However, I am not really all that familiar with Dark Souls, would that hinder anything? If not, count me in :P

fallacywonderland
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aftershock on Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:50 am

Not especially no. Besides, there'll be a gratuitous amount of information on the game world so you're free to learn or ask whatever you're unsure of. I'll make sure to PM you as well when this goes up

Aftershock
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ParanormalBoredom on Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:51 am

Always wanted to do a Dark Souls RP and the Skyrim themes might not be so bad :)
I have several questions regarding the nature of the spreading darkness.
1) Will the "Darkness" come from a time before the age of dragons, after aka. during the rule of the gods or will we imply the victory of the pigmy over the gods in the era of darkness?
2) What kind of fiends do we expect? Abyssal beings like ghosts and Revenants? Undead with no humanity in them? Demons created by the bed of chaos? Corrupted dragons, maybe even members of Seath's line? Ruling indestructible dragons? Giant disturbingly aroused Mushrooms (real thing, I'm afraid) ?
3) If some of us were to play "foreigners", they would be fucked to say the least unless one of them has experienced the full "dark souls" Experience. Only a very smart undead would be aware of the need to link a bonfire in this world in order to keep them in this realm and not caught in the undead assylum.

*Spoiler Warning:
I have this theory in which the god's created the undead curse, not the dark sign however, in order to feed off the pigmy and use the burnt humanity as a way to keep the fire lit. Humanities are after all small pieces of the Pigmy and so on and so forth.... There are a ton of proof towards my theory, I'd say I'm 79% sure.

ParanormalBoredom
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aftershock on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Happy to answer any and all questions! I want to point out that some liberties are being taken with Dark Souls lore, so if things don't work exactly the same as they do in the game, that's why.

1) The 'Darkness' they refer to is believed to be something that happens across all worlds, a sort of natural decay if you will. It is the static nature that made up the Age of Dragons, and was setting back in after the Age of Gods. The chosen undead (arguably the pigmy, though same would say Manus was the pigmy) sought to link the bonfires to stave off the return of this darkness.
The 'phantoms' you can summon in the game are changed so that they are not simply different heroes of the same world, but are each of their own worlds. All the heroes are from decaying worlds, or worlds where the darkness has already set in, and thus have the magics of Sorcery, Miracles and Pyromancy.

2) Just about anything you can think about. If it is suitably terrifying and twisted, it may be a creature of the darkness.

3) As mentioned above, heroes in this work differently than in Dark Souls. If you are from another world, you are not necessarily from Lordran. You will start as more experienced than the characters native to Skyrim, and will each know various rumors about the nature of 'the darkness'. Feel free to let your characters have heard any rumors, true or not. They will all know about the value of bonfires however. They are refuges from the Darkness. Small, temporarily safe havens where one can sacrifice souls to heal themselves. Larger enough souls can heal from any forms of injury or mutilation. Bonfires appear into the world of their own accord, accompanied by a bonfire keeper.
For any foreigners, this will be the first time they're in a world where the darkness has only just entered. They don't know how that works. They have only seen worlds with a long history of darkness, where they can only appear as phantoms to help summoners for a short period of time. They do not know why they are now trapped in this new world as themselves and not as a phantom.

As to your spoiler: huh, interesting. I don't really know enough about the lore to offer anything insightful for or against that, but it's an interesting theory.

Aftershock
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ParanormalBoredom on Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:22 am

That sounds all in all reasonable. I might be up to play a veteran character tired of fighting for survival and looking for a way out of the madness of his past. More of a mentor than a hero, if you know what I mean :)

ParanormalBoredom
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aftershock on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:06 pm

That'll work fine :) When I have the time to put this up and GM it I'll make sure to PM you

Aftershock
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!