Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Futuristic Dystopia with some fantasy

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Futuristic Dystopia with some fantasy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fallout539 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:37 pm

I'm posting this so it doesn't slip my mind tomorrow/to see if people actually like the idea.
~~~~~

Good, you made it. I was hoping you wouldn't get lost.

You may be wondering why I called you here, and believe me, we'll get there. But first, I need you to look around you. On your way here, what did you notice? Everything was normal, wasn't it?

Well, I guess a dying world with only a few years left on it's clock is considered normal nowadays. In cities, it not so noticeable. Little to no squirrels or pigeons, maybe some sickly trees, but that's it. It's pretty noticeable, however, in rural areas.

Now, you've heard of the Spireheart, correct? The large, obsidian obelisk with glowing etchings up in the North Pole? And you already know that some people are granted power over the elements because of it. They're all over the news. Anyways, back to the dying world thing, as I can see the confusion on your face.

The Spireheart, also called the Tower of God by some, and the Devil's Thorn by others, is the cause of the dying world thing. You see, it is connected to tubes that spread out from it, and spread throughout the planet's mantle. From there, the pipes and tubes absorb energy from both the core and crust. That means nutrients, thermal energy, anything. Not everyone knows this, but we do. Sadly, we don't know why it's absorbing our planet's energy, but we do know one thing:

The Spireheart, and the powers it grants, are not of human origin.

You may be thinking "Well, if it's so bad, then why do the governments of the world keep it up?" For that question, I have two answers. The first is that this thing is pretty damn sturdy. No attempts have been made to harm it, but we can tell that it's freaking solid. Second, it's under the protection of a company that has more power than any world leader, Signet Inc. These guys have the world leaders by the balls, but just appear to be another power and lights company. Which, seeing as the Spireheart is basically a big energy conduit, is pretty believable. But, through some recon and investigation, it's obvious that they are conducting research on the thing. Bad research. They've taken test subjects, mutilated them, to find out what makes their elemental abilities tick. Most of the test subjects were operatives of our group.

Okay, I can see your impatient. Let me cut to the chase. I am Theodore Morvis. I am an agent of The Vircid, an underground network whose goal is to remove Signet Inc from the equation and deactivate or destroy the Spireheart. Among us are normal humans with amazing skills, people gifted with elemental abilities, and some a mix of the two. You fall into one of those categories, and that means we need you. We have to take out the Spireheart before Earth crumbles away, and time is definitely not on our side.

So, you in?
~~~~~~~~

Seeing as the main protagonist force in this RP is a network, the more characters the merrier! Any ideas or suggestions would be great as well. This is my first RP here, and I want to know if it's up to par.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

fallout539
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Futuristic Dystopia with some fantasy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm

Sounds interesting to me. You mentioned there are normal humans with amazing skills and those gifted with elemental abilities... by amazing skills you mean things like sharpshooting, computer hacking, etc? As opposed to other supernatural abilities like shapeshifting, right?

How many people are you looking to join this? I'm always willing to play multiple characters if that's something that seems like a good idea at any point down the line. I also have no trouble RPing NPC baddies we come across (random lackeys for fighting purposes, etc.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Amarkov
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fallout539 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:49 am

Yeah, skills like hacking and such. I'd like to have 4-5 people to start with, myself included. And seeing as I have school during the day and can't be on at all times, having someone control NPCs would be terrific.

I sort of rushed the story, so when I get home from school today, I can elaborate on it some more.

fallout539
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Pomona on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:03 am

Oh, I would really like to try this rp out. Sounds very interesting.

Pomona
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:57 am

I can't promise I'll be reliable to join this (I've been having some problems with actually getting words down lately) but if I did join, I certainly wouldn't bail. I'm actually already seeing a character in this, which is usually a good sign for me. Two things I wanted to ask, both character related. The first thing I did want to ask is about my potential character IF I'm able to join.

I was thinking he would probably be a sniper, good for recon, intelligence gathering and terrible in a fight, but I was thinking that he might have elemental ability, it was just that he'd never learned how to use it. In fact, he wasn't a real believer that he had it, but in joining with the organization, he wanted to learn. I would clean that up in character creation later, but I'm sure you get the idea. With how you're imagining of elemental powers work and the idea of potentially overpowering a character, I can see how having someone who's a sniper AND controller of an element could be overpowered, would that be able to work?

My second question, which is much shorter, is would we be able/encouraged to have multiple characters? I mean, if we have five characters than we could have Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Heart and with our powers combined he would be Captain Planet. But since this IS an underground rebellious group that probably doesn't have an eco friendly superhero, I would think doubling up on characters as well as roleplaying select NPCs might not be a bad idea. But, as the GM, you're the one that makes the rules.
"And that... Is all I can tell you." - The Bard.

WaltJRimmer
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fallout539 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:59 am

Yeah, I have no problem with doubling up. I encourage multiple characters, I just usually don't do it myself for the sake of manageability. I wouldn't mind that he had an elemental ability, as long as he was sensible about it or it was a non-combat oriented element (Like Air or Water).

fallout539
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Alrighty! So we have three interested members (including the OP) plus maybe Walt.

Fallout, do you have a character sheet template you want us to start filling out?

Amarkov
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fallout539 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

I should have a sheet ready in a few minutes. Along with probably most of the OP.

It all depends if I can figure out how posting in RPs works here...

fallout539
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fallout539 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Okay, I have the character sheet done! Sorry, I've had a bad cold, which took all creativity from me.

Name:
Personality:
Appearance:
Elemental/Human:
Element/Skill:
History:

fallout539
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 am

It's alright. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Is this going to be on a tab, in a post-by-post or something else?

WaltJRimmer
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby fallout539 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:24 am

Tab. I'm almost done with it actually. I'm very awake tonight. It should be up in the next few minutes or within the hour.

I feel a lot better, I just have a little congestion still. Thanks :)

EDIT: Done! roleplay/spireheart-network/

fallout539
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MattyB737 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:21 pm

Count me interested in this. I'll get to work on a character in a moment. Would it be possible to start without any powers and eventually gain them? If not, I don't care, I'll just be a normal dude.

MattyB737
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!