Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

.Gotta Be Somebody. [OOC/Sign-Ups]

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

.Gotta Be Somebody. [OOC/Sign-Ups]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SaveYou on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Gotta Be Somebody

'Cause nobody wants to go in on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone.
Is there somebody else that feels the same somewhere?
There's gotta be somebody for me out there.

You can't give up!
When you're lookin' for that diamond in the rough
Because you never know but when it shows up
Make sure you're holdin' on
'Cause it could be the one, the one you're waiting on ...

Lyrics taken from/RP inspired by Nickleback's Gotta Be Somebody

Have you ever come close to realising your dreams? Has it literally been just one step away, and then snatched away from you, one of fate's cruel jokes? Have you ever had to experience that crushing disappointment, knowing that everything you ever wanted was right there, and you lost it?
Have you ever wondered why it happened?
Maybe you couldn't make it on your own. Maybe you didn't want to go in on your own. Maybe having it would make you incredibly lonely, and instead of bringing you happiness, bring you misery.
Maybe you needed someone to help you be somebody.

So what happens when you find them, your diamond in the rough? Do you seize your chance, go after it again, with the person to help you, or do you blow them off, and miss out on your chance, the chance to be the person you always wanted to be?
Or what if letting them help you will let you reach your goals, but completely destroy, you, your morals, or your humanity in the process?

You've gotta make sacrifices if you gotta be somebody.

.RULES.
-> I am God in this RP - what I say goes.
-> Break any of my rules, and I'm within my rights to kick you out of the RP.
-> We all know the RPG rules about romance & god-modding, follow them.
-> If your character comes across as Mary-Sue-ish, I'll let you know - no character is perfect at everything, and achieves their goals alone without sacrificing anything. And no Anti-Sues, either, where they suck at everything, are bullied into being with this person and then don't get anything. And just so you know, having an OVERLY traumatic past, where their mother/father/all members of family died/were murdered, their brother/father raped them, their mother/sister was an alcoholic/junkie, and still managing to come out all right counts as a Mary-Sue. For God's sake, don't you think they might be a LITTLE emotionally scarred from that?!
-> Be realistic. See what I mentioned above? Try not to have too much of that. I know it happens, God help the people it does happen to, but please, try not to have it all. I'm only allowing two people to have a shit past in this, and only two people to have an amazing past, and they still lose their goals. Realism - it's your friend!
-> So's spelling, grammar and proper punctuation.
-> At least a small paragraph is the minimum for this RP. ANY one-liners at all, and I'm going Sylar* on your ass.
-> You MUST wait until you've been accepted before posting in the IC thread.
-> Even gender ratio or you die!
-> DO NOT put "Will Come Out Through The RP" in your character skeleton, if you value my sanity, and your life
-> Rules may be added/changed as I see fit
-> Have fun =D

*Heroes reference. If you don't get it, you suck. (Kidding!)

.CHARACTERS.
Want To Be Somebodies
[Terrible Past]
-
[Terrible Past]
-
[Brilliant Past]
-
[Brilliant Past]
-
SaveYou - Claire Rider
St.Jimmy - Michael Richards
Leila Aarons - Ariane Holst
-

People Who Help Them Be Somebodies
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

.CHARACTER SKELETON.
Code: Select all
[center][size=90][b].NAME.[/b]
[b].AGE.[/b]
[b].WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO BECOME?/WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO HELP?.[/b]
[b].PERSONALITY.[/b]
[b].BIOGRAPHY.[/b]
[b].OTHER.[/b]
[b].APPEARANCE.[/b][/center][/size]

.NAME.
Claire Rider

.AGE.

.WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO BECOME?/WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO HELP?.
Claire wanted to become and artist, and was halfway through her art college when her dreams were taken away from her.
.PERSONALITY.
Claire was once a warm and friendly person, a good friend to anyone who needed a shoulder to cry on, and always reliable. Then her dreams crashed around her ears and she closed herself up. Now, she's cold and sarcastic, doesn't get along with anyone, and has effectively pushed her family and friends away from her, refusing to let anyone else get close to her - she figures it'll be easier for them when she finally dies.
.BIOGRAPHY.
Claire was born to a single mother, Louisa Rider. Her father and her mother's relationship had been rocky at the start, and when they found out Louisa was pregnant, James couldn't take it, and left his wife. She was raised fairly well, and her mother remarried when she was eight. She liked her step-father, but wasn't too fond of the step-brother he brought with him. Mark was three years older than Claire, and constantly teased and bullied her, though she stopped when Claire turned eleven and started hitting back.
Claire had loved art since she was a child - when Claire had nothing to do, she'd draw. She got very good at it over the years, and art was always her favourite subject in school. When she finished, she applied to an art college, and was almost finished there when she started getting sick. She noticed when she got the cold, and it took about four weeks to get over, and he began to get painful headaches. She began feeling tired all the time, though everytime she tried to sleep, she was unable to sleep for more than three or four hours a night. Doctors told her she suffered from Insomnia, and she'd soon get over it.
Claire got on with her life, expecting to feel better soon, but she just got worse and worse. She began to lose a lot of weight, and the headaches got worse. Her mother, step-father and step-brother got extremely worried about her, but she insisted she was fine - she had to complete her art portfolio, and prepare for an upcoming show she had. Claire got even worse, and collapsed at her college, a few days before her show.
She was kept in hospital for extensive tests, and the bombshell was dropped - Claire had leukemia.
She was taken for immediate treatment, and even had a bone marrow transplant, and she recovered for a while, but soon after, she got worse. She had to drop out of her college, and has been in the hospital for over a year now. Doctors know she won't live much longer, and so does she, and that's why she refuses to let people get close to her - she wants it to be easier for them when she eventually does. Before she dies, though, she just wants to do at least one art show, even though she knows it'll probably never happen.
.OTHER.
N/A
.APPEARANCE.
Claire stands at 5'6", with pale skin, partly from constantly being indoors, partly from the leukemia. Her eyes are a dark brown, and she has black hair, which she keeps cut short. She hasn't worn her own clothes in a long while, mostly in hospital gowns, but before her dreams were shattered, she was normally found in band t-shirts, hoodies and jeans, which were usually spattered with paint, and white Converse she had drawn her own designs on.
Last edited by SaveYou on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SaveYou
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: .Gotta Be Somebody. [OOC/Sign-Ups]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby St.Jimmy on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:43 pm

.SKELETON.

.NAME.
Michael Richards.

.AGE.
Eighteen.

Michael always wanted to be in a band, but because of home circumstances he wasn't able to be.

.PERSONALITY.
Michael is more responsible than the average teenage boy, but that is largely due to events in his life. On the whole, he is well-meaning and would never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings, but he can be extremely clueless and often says something that he doesn't mean. He has quite a good work ethic but, like any teenager, can often be lazy and oversleep, leading to problems with whatever job he has at the moment. He is not naturally intelligent, but works hard to make up for it.

.BIOGRAPHY.
Michael wanted to be in a band since he was six years old and first tuned in to The Who. That obsession stayed with him as he set out discovering many more bands and, when he was ten, he was given a guitar which he treasured above any other possession.

Michael's step dad, who had raised him from a baby, died when he was eleven and this had a marking effect on the boy. He went off the rails and, using one of his much older friends as a supplier, started taking drugs when he was twelve and drinking irresponsibly. His mother, who suffered from depression after her husband's death, did not emerge from a subdued state until he was thirteen. Finally, she managed to get her son the help he needed and when he was fourteen, he was clean of drugs.

However, Michael did not entirely return to the innocence of his younger years. He yearned for some attention, for his mother was still distant with him. When he was fifteen, he flung himself headlong into a serious relationship with a girl his age and before long she was pregnant.

The birth of his baby son squashed Michael's dreams of being in a band. He had been on the verge of signing a fairly decent record deal with his one-year-old band, but he had to throw it all away and commit himself to raising his child properly.

.OTHER.
Michael does love his son, but sometimes he wishes that things could have worked out differently.

.APPEARANCE.
Michael has blonde hair and light brown eyes. He stands at around 5'9" and is slim. His hair has grown quite long over the past few years and he has managed to get some colour back into his skin: when he was younger and using, it was much pastier.

Michael prefers clothes that bear the slogans of his favourite bands, along with washed out jeans and battered Convese.
my girlies;;
laurenn ;; larii ;; laurie ;; charlie ;; becky ;; beth ;; illy ;; sessi ;; rachael ;; kiers

Image Image Image
may i waste your time too?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

St.Jimmy
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leila Aarons on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:08 pm

.NAME.
Ariane Holst

.AGE.
Ariane has always had a strong passion for singing and dancing, and hopes to one day become a solo singer and/or dancer, but has been unable to do so.
.PERSONALITY.
Ariane is very quiet and doesn't tend to talk much, being pretty shy. She enjoys being in quiet and peaceful environments, and is very kind, often putting the happiness and interest of others before her own. She always has a very faint air of sorrow, though she is very good at hiding it. Usually she will be seen with a smile on her face, and is always trying to help others. This isn't always good, as she can be fairly easy to take advantage of this way, but she does her best not to be too kind. Secretly, she has a fairly low amount of self-esteem due to her weakness and just her life overall, and doesn't ever really get too close to anyone, or tell anyone of her sickness.
.BIOGRAPHY.
Ariane was born to a young couple that weren’t quite prepared for children, but they did want them. She had a fairly nice life growing up, treated well by her parents. They weren’t rich, but had enough money to keep her well-fed and such.

Five years or so after being born, Ariane was diagnosed with a very rare illness, and she wasn't supposed to live past twenty. Not to mention, the symptoms of her sickness were pretty bad. Coughing, sometimes coughing up blood, dizziness, weakness, etc. It wasn't until she was fourteen that a medicine was discovered. Not a cure, mind you, it would just prolong her life and lessen the symptoms—but she had to take it every day for the rest of her life.

Due to this news, Ariane's parents were pretty distraught, and didn’t have the money for everything at hand. They managed to get it, though, and Ariane lived. At seventeen, she found out that they had discovered a cure for her illness. Or at least, a better medicine. She now would only have to take it once, hopefully once in her whole life, and it would work just as the medicine had. Not get rid of the sickness, but suppress it and make it less of a hindrance. No one can say how well it will really work, though, as it is a new medicine and everything. It is this that prevented her from getting her career—they didn’t have the money for her to get her name out there, and her parents didn’t think she could handle going out on the road and such.
.OTHER.
Ariane's symptoms for her sickness still show from time to time, and she will never be fully rid of them.
.APPEARANCE.
Ariane has long, red hair that falls in tight, natural curls to her shoulder blades. Her eyes are a soft amber, going well with her lightly tanned skin. Her figure is fairly frail, and she looks rather weak, which in a sense she is. But she isn't overly thin or anything of the sort, just not muscular. She stands at a fairly tall five foot eight inches, and most of the height is in her legs, though she is well-proportioned.

Lauren is amazing

Leila Aarons
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SaveYou on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 am

Both accepted =3

SaveYou
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saint Lucifer on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:08 pm

I'd like to join this -- hold me a spot? I'll have a profile up by the end of the day or sooner.
the cancer takes ahold the wolf is in the fold
our destiny's been sold we did just what we're told

:: AND WE ARE LETTING YOU GET AWAY ::

[ LAUREN, LARI, AND KIERS ARE AMAZING ROLEPLAYERS ]

Saint Lucifer
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SaveYou on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:12 pm

No problem, Saint Lucifer, you've got a spot saved =D

SaveYou
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saint Lucifer on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:38 pm

.NAME.
Josephine "Joey" Francis

.AGE.

Joey loves photography, and wants to become a professional photographer.

.PERSONALITY.

Joey is a shy, awkward girl. She has trouble making eye contact with another person, and speaks so softly that she is often asked to repeat herself. She has difficulties with trust and with talking about herself.

.BIOGRAPHY.
Will edit in.
.OTHER.
Will edit in.
.APPEARANCE.
Will edit in.

Sorry, I'm getting yelled at to hurry up an' get ready for something I dun want to go to. Will edit this when I return.
Last edited by Saint Lucifer on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saint Lucifer
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jayden W. on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:08 am

Hope it's not too late!

[center][size=90].NAME.
Yoko Kosins
.AGE.
Yoko wants to become a singer.
.PERSONALITY.
Yoko is a bubbly person, or at least was. She used to be happy with her life and where she was in the world. She woke up every morning with a smile on her face and a hop in her step. She was nice to everybody, although some were mean to her. She tried not to gossip, and it worked. She never said anything bad about anyone. Now, though, she is a blob of sorrow. She is depressed but is trying to get over it and move on.
.BIOGRAPHY.
Yoko was born in Japan to a Canadian man and a Japanese woman. She lived in Tokyo all her life, going to an international school where she learned to speak english fluently. In highschool, she made the rock band, where she was a lead singer. At 15, she recorded an album with a japanese record company. However, she only made it for herself and her friends.

Then, at 16, she moved to America, where she began to fulfill her dreams. She entered competitions, but always got turned down. She performed on stage at some bars, where the audience liked her, but record companies did not. Yoko got used to being turned down, but never stopped trying.

Finally, at 17, she was about to get signed, when her mother was faced with a terminal disease. She was forced to quit her singing career and take care of her mother. Four weeks later, her mother passed away. Yoko knew that the label would not accept her again.
.OTHER.
Yoko doesn't know if she can make it anymore.
.APPEARANCE.

[/center][/size]

Jayden W.
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Riverstyx777 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 am

This is something I'm quite interested in, and I'd like to RP a character trying to help somebody, but how do I go about that in the back story? I guess what I'm asking is, don't I need to know the person ICly?
"Darkness shall not be feared..." - River

"This country spends over a billion dollars a year on getting high. That... that is not my fault, I'm just a businessman." - Christopher Walken, playing Frank White in King of New York

Riverstyx777
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SaveYou on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:34 am

Jayden W.;; accepted =D

Riverstyx;; No, you don't have to know the person; you can meet by chance, though if you want them to fit into the characters background, I suggest you PM the person playing the character you want to help :3

SaveYou
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Riverstyx777 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:59 pm

.NAME.
River Conway
.AGE.
Nineteen
Whoever wants me to help. (Please PM me so I can expand on the biography)
.PERSONALITY.
River was always a positive person, even though some things in his life aren't so great. He always loved helping others, despite his personal expense.
.BIOGRAPHY.
River was born as the second oldest in an average middle-class family, and grew up with divorced parents. Childhood was pretty average for River, other than dealing with a bullying older brother. Up until he was eleven, did River ever have a major conflict. His older brother began experimenting with drugs, and was no longer helping support the family. So River took up the role of taking care of his younger siblings while his mother worked a double shift. School suffered somewhat for River in the years after that.
After he graduated high school, River managed to land a decent enough job and to move out of his mother's house after much pushing, as his mother could handle three children by herself with her current job. No matter what, River still puts others before himself.
.OTHER.
River doesn't really care about himself as much as helping loved ones.
.APPEARANCE.

River stands about six foot, and weighs 167 pounds. He has shoulder length blonde hair and icy blue eyes. He is pale, though he is outside quite often. He is of average build, not muscular, but not skinny, either.
Last edited by Riverstyx777 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Riverstyx777
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jayden W. on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:36 am

Yay!
Question: Has the IC been made yet?

Jayden W.
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!