Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Hey everyone

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

Hey everyone

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby unmog on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:04 am

I'm normally pretty long winded, so I'll try to make this introduction as brief as possible. Anyway, a little history about me. I used to RP on forums a long time ago, then I moved over to chat based RP. Did that for several years, it was fun but... I'm not sure. For one reason or another I hit a funk, put myself into a rut. I tried RPing more but I couldn't seem to find many people who were around enough to RP, or the ones that were there just didn't interest me, or it was hard to get the kind of RP's I wanted. So I decided to go back to my roots, forum RP. I checked the forums I used to RP at but they were either gone, dying, small, slow to respond, or just too different from what I remembered. So, I decided today to start anew... hit up google by typing in "RP Forum" and expected to get a list of RP forums, instead I found you right at the top, or close enough. Looked in here and saw there seemed to be lots of activity here, and lots of people on. Seemed good enough for me... so here I am, making an intro post to a bunch of hopefully like minded people who enjoy writing as much as I do.

Anyone want to be my new friend? :) Or even if I'm too new or there's a bunch of cliques or I'm too long winded or whatever the case may be, maybe I can at least get pointed at in a couple directions for finding a good RP to get in on? Like I said I'm here to find RP so any help finding people to RP with or good stories I can join or even possibly help start one would be appreciated. Lets see... it'd probably help if I gave you some idea for what I'm looking for, or what my preferences are. Lately I've been wanting to do a few different styled RP's... but the places I was at really didn't seem to have many people like I said so I never bothered. Anyway, some ideas of RP I've been wanting to try are the following.

Interested Styles
Co-op= I'd rather work with people instead of fight everyone. That's kind of why I got tired of chat RP, people just wanna fight. Even though I'm really good at it, I'd rather do something non competitive.
Teams= Even if there's competition, I find RP's where at least there's opposing groups/teams better than a free for all.
Low posting delays= I prefer faster based RP's, like posting once maybe even more a day. Even if its once every couple days or so usually... as long as its not once every couple weeks :(
Larger Posts= I prefer RP's where the average posting length is "at least" a paragraph or two. If people start posting less than that it feels like they're just being lazy and not trying hard enough.
Creative= Even if an RP setting or plot has been done before, the right twist here and there or enough polishing can really make it stand out.
Open= I don't like scripted RP's much, sometimes people try and force a particular outcome in RP. I don't like feeling like what I have my character do doesn't change anything, or I'm limited in doing is just "part of the plan".

Interested Settings
Futuristic-apoc RP involving mechs= Anything from fallout to armored core and everything in between, just haven't seen a good one of those in awhile
Zombie-apoc RP= Survival-Horror type RP where its mostly characters versus the environment
Custom story in pre-made setting= I don't mind doing a unique RP in an already well known setting, say a book or a movie. Heck I've even done a really nice "pokemon"ish RP's before where one person played a monster and one person played a trainer. Don't have to start everything from scratch if the idea behind it is solid and fun.
Well defined fantasy RP with interesting plot/characters= Been doing too many fantasy RP's lately, but don't mind joining one that really shines
D&D Styled RP= not sure if that's possible on a forum but I've been interested in trying one. Always wanted to try some D&D online somehow but never got an opportunity to, even have a lot of books etc for it.
Reality bending magical/mystery RP= This one is kinda hard to describe, I ran a really good one myself a long time ago. Multiple worlds, merging realities, nothing being as it seemed.

Hopefully I didn't inadvertently upset anyone, I'm told sometimes I can be a little too picky or rude with how blunt I can come off. If so, I apologize, I'm really not an elitist if I came off as one. I'm just looking to make some friends and find some good quality RP that I can either join in on or perhaps start and find people interested in. Anyway, it's good to meet you all :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

unmog
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Hey everyone

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Terrorer on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:36 pm

I might like to join up with you for an Apocalyptic rp. Those are always fun, since I am reading The Stand right now and everything I right seems to reflect it. Lol. I have only been role play for a year or 2 though, but I am a great at it. No body ever seems to want me playing their role plays in large forums, so I have been sticking to a sim game website where their forum has some rp'ing in it.

Their role plays are very amateur though. Posts are usually 1 line of a character saying something then an action and they are done. It is really boring. But what do you expect? They are not even role players and are only doing this while waiting for their horses to show! I try to put light in it though. Like introducing my clepto on the run character Wymarc into a horse show barn role play. (it's more like a sim game in words, this rp is.) But Wymarc should spice it up.

Id like people to know that I am not a newbie though. I know how to turn "It was raining" into "I slid behind my black leather couch from the very scary thunder outside. My newly made peanut butter sandwich with raspberry jam flopped onto my jeans in a sticky mess. The baby in its pink crib across the room let out a welp and never finished in a wail that went on till the next burst. I sat up, covering my ears and looked out the white framed french doors. The rain made a racket beating against the glass. My golden retriever didn't help with the noise, she beat her claws against the glass trying to get inside, like she thought she could dig through. I crawled over to the door and opened it up. The wind and rain blasted at my face and a wet dog shook beside me." ect. ect

I am very much into creepy insane role plays. Assassins, demons, death and war. Gotta love it!
Terri:3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Terrorer
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby unmog on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Hey, nice to meet you, good to learn a little about others too. This is my first time meeting you though so I didn't think you were "a stupid noob" or anything like that of course. If you find or start up an RP though let me know and I'll give it a look for you. Thanks for replying too, I subscribed to the topic so I'd know as soon as someone said anything. Wasn't sure how long to expect for someone to say hi back, but I'm glad someone did. :)

You might of liked my creepy insane RP though, had all of those things... other than maybe monsters instead of assassins. I've been thinking of bringing it back, I saved the beginning in case I wanted to do it again. Was really a hit back some years back. I always get these ideas I want to write about and friends tell me I should try publishing them but I lack the motivation and they don't really understand why I like to RP instead.

unmog
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Terrorer on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:19 pm

Yeah, I should subscribe my posts. Um, If you don't mind, I am part of a role play called Normality, Shane is looking for some more characters if you don't mind checking it out.

Terrorer
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby unmog on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:31 am

I don't mind checking it out, well, in truth I already did read the intro but like I said I'm still not all that adept at finding my way around. I did discover how to find the OOC section just now though so I can post there later. Had a few reservations about it is all... not sure if that one is for me. Maybe if I could find a few of the actual story posts to see what is going on before joining that would be good. Does she have enough to start yet? Maybe I should be posting this on her ooc topic.

unmog
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Terrorer on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Yeah. Post on Shane's OCC thread she can explain it a bit to you. She is still looking for more. We haven't started yet. :3

Terrorer
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BrienaSkysong on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:04 pm

Welcome to RolePlayGateway!
The Thunder you hear in a storm is the sound of a great stallion's hooves hitting the tops of the clouds. Listen closely, you can hear the hoof beats as he leaps and dances through the sky.

BrienaSkysong
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Terrorer on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:15 am

BrienaSkysong, I must say you are the only 4 year member I have saw yet. Sort of sad, but happy to know you are here. *likes oldies* :3 (may sound strange...sorry if it does o.o)

Terrorer
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:49 am

Hey, there, guys and gals! Hello to Terrorer, Briena, and, of course our new member unmog. xD

Gotta say, it was fun to read your Welcome Desk post! A lot of them recently have just been a few lines; it's good to read something meaty so I can properly get a sense of what kind of person we have joining us here at RolePlayGateway. There's a good chunk of the people I know who came from a chat-based RP background (Yahoo, MSN, etc, and even Skype!) and yeah, it can burn you out pretty fast. But it's good to have you here on our forum. This is the place to be if you're trying to launch back into forum RP, as we're one of the most active text-based roleplaying hubs out there on the net!

Waaah. I'm Sato, before I launch too much more into it. I'm a long-time member here on Gateway, so if you have any questions about where anything goes, or what anything does, then don't hesitate to ask! Don't get too caught up in being a "noob" or not, or talking too much, or fitting into any cliques. We're a large community here, but don't be afraid to dive right in. We're all creative-minded individuals.

Okay. Time for a few housekeeping things.

The first thing you're gonna want to do is get your ten forum posts out of the way! Click here to get a reason as to why you need these, and to see a list of indexed threads to get yourself off and running!

Also, don't be afraid to check out the RPG Rules. There are only 5 of them but it's still good to know what sort of standards we hold ourselves to as a community.

Aside from that, just poke around, post, join roleplays, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need it! We're a friendly bunch.

Hope to talk to you soon!

-VV

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Terrorer on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks ViceVersus. I had no idea I couldn't pm. Lol but I have a question, does the 10 posts have to be in 10 different threads? Or can you just join a role play and get them that way? I am sure I have done 10 already in OCC threads.

Terrorer
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby unmog on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Had no idea you couldn't PM without 10 posts either, I didn't really know anyone well enough that I needed to PM yet so no biggy. I'm prolly getting close to it anyway, and that's odd that you've been here for a year and haven't made ten posts yet Terror :p

Thanks for letting me know though, and those five rules are pretty much what I live by. Occassionally I might let fly a swear word in RP or if someone gets me REALLY mad but other than that I'm pretty much rated PG :p

Btw did you have any suggestions for RP's VV? [*likes that nickname, has a habbit of giving people random nicknames, hopes that doesn't bug anyone*] Also I looked at the RP you suggested Ter [did it again ;)] and I dunno... going to look at it one more time but it doesn't seem like it's for me. I have been tired though everytime I've come to look at the forums so maybe I overlooked something. Still I'll give ya the chance to talk me into it but figure I should at least read it once more so I can give my thoughts on it.

*reads for the third time to make sure I'm giving it a fair chance*

So... to start off with it sorta seems too "xmen" like for me and I'm not sure what the plot would really consist of other than being imprisoned, tortured, picked on, trying to escape... or the opposite side of the coin. And after the eventual escape? I dunno... doesn't seem like there's a lot of options for me to do and Shane seems kind of picky about what she likes and doesn't like in characters so I'm not sure she'd even like what I put forward in a character. Granted I don't even know what I'd want in a character for an RP like that so maybe that's a little unfair.

And yea, to reinforce that... it seems that all that's left is 2 male characters that need to be assassin/guard/thug/badguys, who are naturally going to be "lower ranking" than the people already there... not a lot of options like I said.I could see perhaps limiting it to like, staff, heck even other assassins, maybe even rank... but even to limit the gender of the character? Not that I'm against playing either gender mind you, nor do I even know what I'd like to play like I said, it just seems far too structured for my taste. Sorry Ter.

Edit: And I just found out that this is officially my tenth post. Yaaaaaaaaaay~

unmog
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!