Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Hogwarts - A New Era Has Dawned - A New Lord Has Risen

a topic in Books & Literature, a part of the RPG forum.

For any roleplay based on books or other forms of literature.

Hogwarts - A New Era Has Dawned - A New Lord Has Risen

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:16 pm

This is a story set one hundred years after Harry Potter’s time, when a new power-hungry Lord named Antigonus is rising to power. He is the last known descendant of Godric Gryffindor, and a very powerful wizard. Antigonus is a werewolf, and a commanding one at that. He has it set in his mind that every witch/wizard must be bitten, and join his ranks, or else they are worthless and may be killed. It was Antigonus himself who created the Wolf’s Elixr, which if ingested a day before the full moon, will turn a man into not a wolf-man, but a full wolf. During this period of turning into a wolf, the person still retains their normal thought pattern and is even able to speak. Antigonus was given the Order of Merlin for this potion, but little did anyone know what he intended to use it for. At the present time, Antigonus is been building up his ranks, and no one at the Ministry of Magic has any idea of his whereabouts.

Since this story takes place one hundred years after Harry’s time, here is a list of the present Hogwarts teachers and other important characters in the wizarding world.

Hogwarts Headmaster: Oswald Pagodas Marx (M)

Transfiguration: Frieda Bollbach (F)
Charms: Ervin Enforth (M)
Potions: Morose Agnello (M)
Herbology: Cliff Mulligan (M)
Defense Against the Dark Arts: Logan Clemence (M)
History of Magic: Darius Tolstov (M)
Astronomy: Carlita Dalzen (F)
Care of Magical Creatures: Archibald Quann (M)
Ancient Runes: Delpha Gentry (F)
Arithmancy: Verona Epling (F)
Divination: Maggie Theone (F)
Muggle Studies: Holly Wittenburg (F)
Flying: Douglas Smid (M) (Also Quidditch referee)

Head of Slytherin House: Darius Tolstov (M)
Head of Ravenclaw House: Delpha Gentry (F)
Head of Gryffindor House: Frieda Bollbach (F)
Head of Hufflepuff House: Ervin Enforth (M)

Hogwarts Caretaker: Pragus Booth (M)
Hogwarts Nurse: Madam Lachley (F)
Minister for Magic: Leopold Adams (M)

If there are any other characters you need to name, or if I have missed someone, feel free to name them yourself.

Also, this roleplay is closed after the first person! Please do not post if you are not the first to do so, or if you are not literate! Don't worry though, your posts do not have to be as long as mine are... I just like to write.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Inertia
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: Hogwarts - A New Era Has Dawned - A New Lord Has Risen

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:17 pm

The loud sound of chatter in the large stone-walled room pounded upon sensitive temples, making the ability to concentrate on anything nearly impossible. None of the elaborate windows in the room had been opened, owing to the fact that it was an early September night, and the winds that flew over the lake towards that particular side of the castle were bone-chilling. The noise was growing louder, swelling into a near deafening decibel level as the rest of the students streamed steadily through the massive wooden arched doorframe and into the hall. The noise level progressively lessened once students began turning their attention to the front of the hall to look at the tall, grey-robed man with tanned skin and a dark, scruffy beard. It was rather quickly that his presence, stroking his beard with one hand while otherwise standing perfectly still in front of the main table, could make so many voices fall silent in such a short amount of time. After a moment, he spoke in what seemed to be a voice of well-disguised tiredness.

“Welcome to another year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. For those of you who do not know, my name is Oswald Marx, and I am the Headmaster of this school. You may call me Professor Marx, but never Ozzy, as I hear there is a rather scary-looking muggle singer by that name, and I prefer classical to rock and roll anyway.”

A few students laughed at this; others looked on in wonder. Professor Marx simply smiled back at all of them, tossing his dark beard over his shoulder. This proved to be an odd spectacle, as his beard was not quite long enough to stay slung over his shoulder, and it promptly slipped back down into position, hanging a few inches higher than his navel area.

“I would like to give an especially warm welcome to all the first years that will be attending Hogwarts this year. Some of you may have heard of this wonderful place before, through brothers or sisters, or possibly parents that attended this very school as well. It is also a possibility that you may not have any previous knowledge of Hogwarts, and that, I think, may make the school even more of a tantalizing mystery! I suggest checking out ‘Hogwarts, a History’ in the library, it is very informative, having written some if it myself!” He stopped a moment to smile, looking out over the vast hall in its entirety. “Now, before I get off topic, we shall begin the sorting the first year students. Frieda, if you will?”

A very petite witch rose from the main table, a hat in one hand, and a long piece of parchment in the other. She was fairly young looking, one might guess she were in her mid-thirties. Her sunny blond hair was pulled back into a neat bun at the back of her head, and she stood beside Professor Marx as he flicked his wand, making a wooden stool appear in front of the two of them. The blonde witch placed the hat on the stool, and some of the first years looked rather alarmed as it began to sing. It introduced itself in song before singing about the houses:

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

The blonde witch picked up the hat, saying, “Hello first years. My name is Professor Bollbach. As I call your name, please come up to the stool and take a seat. I will place the sorting hat upon your head, and it will determine which of the four houses you will be placed in.” She paused for a moment, holding the parchment before her face to read the first name. “Abson, Charlie.”

The little red-haired boy approached the stool and sat down rather nervously. Professor Bollbach placed the hat on his small head; it sank low and his eyes could barely be seen as the brim had almost covered them completely. The sorting hat mumbled a few incoherent things that must have only been heard by the boy himself before shouting, “Hufflepuff!”
Charlie Abson looked positively delighted as he hurried over to the Hufflepuff table amidst loud clapping.

Professor Bollbach clapped as well, stopping a moment later to call out the next name on the list. ‘Adley, Corrine’ seemed to be the exact opposite of Charlie Abson, with short black hair and a smirk on her face. She was sorted into Slytherin, and glided over to the table with poise and confidence.

The sorting dragged on for a tediously long time. Eden Exley sat at the Ravenclaw table, wearing on her face what she pictured to be a scowl. She’d sat through enough of these sortings to recite Professor Marx’s speech by heart, being a sixth year. It was only when Professor Bollbach reached the ‘G’ section of the list, did Eden glance over to the Slytherin table. Jasper wore a scowl on his pale face as well; his eyes were fluttering closed every few moments, only for him to open them wide and rub them vigorously in an attempt not to fall asleep. His hair was the same strange shade of silver that Eden’s was, as were his eyes the same shade of grey. They were unmistakably siblings, but many had thought they were twins. Only a single year separated the two, their birthday (oddly enough) falling on the exact same day. Jasper was the only person that Eden could talk to freely about anything, the two of them having experienced everything together since they were children. It was she and Jasper’s secret that they were in the care of a power-thirsty werewolf that had carefully been labeled the new Dark Lord. They knew, of course, that Antigonus was not a dark wizard, only a werewolf with a thirst for power.

“Hawthorne, Olivia.”

Eden yawned inconspicuously and felt the urge to lay her head down on the table. She did not care for dinner, only for sleep. Deciding it would be better not to fall asleep in front of everyone and cause a scene, Eden rubbed her eyes as her brother had done and waited for the sorting to be over.

Name: Eden Exley
Year: 6th
House: Ravenclaw
Favorite Subject: Potions
Description of Appearance: Petite frame, average height, long silver hair, grey eyes. People often judge her as strange because of her appearance, but she is beautiful in her own way.

Family: Eden’s mother died when she was seven in a potion-induced explosion, and her father is currently in Azkaban. She has one brother, Jasper, who is a year older than her and is in Slytherin. During summers, they live with their father’s step-brother, and also both of their godfather, Antigonus.

At Hogwarts: No one really knows much about her. She is secretive because she must not tell anyone of her relation to Antigonus. She is often found absorbed in books, usually about potions. She is friends with a few Ravenclaws, but she is mostly seen hanging around the dungeons (or sometimes even in the Slytherin common room) with her brother Jasper.

Special Abilities: Eden is extraordinarily gifted at potions, knowing how to brew the Wolf’s Elixr for Antigonus and his followers since her second year. Because of her talent at potions, she is a favorite student of Potions Master Morose Agnello.

Please fill out this profile for your own character!
Only open to the first person!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Name: Jessica Vandenbrook
Year: 5th
House: Gyffindor
Favorite Subject: Defense Against the Dark Arts
Description of Appearance: slender frame, average height, layered shoulder length black hair, blue eyes.

Family: Born into a wealthy American family across the ocean, Jessica's parents wanted to give her the best magical education galleons could buy, and sent her overseas as an exchange student to hogwarts. Jessica's mother wants her to be an American Witch, but Jessica is starting to find the allure of being among the Brits to much to resist...

At Hogwarts: Jessica is extremely infectious and finds herself with more friends than what she could ask for. The fact that she' foreign is often overlooked due to her excellence as the youngest Chaser the American International Team has seen in twenty years. Her true magical skill lies in offensive and defensive magicks (which is more emphasized in America instead of the more definitive branches like transfiguration, charms, etc...)

Special Abilities: Jessica is especially skilled in various hexes and jinxes due to her vindictive nature. Although happy go lucky on the outside, she can be rather nasty and imposing when the time comes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jessica stood at the edge of the Great Hall, having just slipped in the door from the Entrance Hall. The portkey she had taken to Hogsmeade had been a bit late, and now she felt foolish slipping in so obviously. The first years were being sorted, at the moment, so now one noticed the very blond, very tired looking girl as she slipped down at the end of the Gryffindor tables.

She had been sorted already, picked for Gryffindor house. There was no Sorting Ceremony for exchange students, she had learned that much. She was ready for academics, word was that Hogwarts was much stricter than any American magic school...she was ready.

She let her bag slip to the ground and fished out her wand--12 inches, phoenix feather, maple--and hid it up the sleeves of her robes. Looking around, she felt slightl foolish. (again.) she hadn't yet been able to change into her Hogwarts robes (having taken the portkey straight from her home in San Diego) and realized she was still wearing robes from her old school. They were at least black, but the crest was different, and the style alltogether was much more form fitting--much more flattering, Jessica thought,but she didn't complain...

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:43 pm

“And that concludes the sorting,” Professor Marx stated once ‘Yates, Neil’ had been sorted into Ravenclaw. “There are a few announcements I will make, but I’m sure that you’re all quite famished, so first we shall eat!”

Plentiful amounts of food appeared on each house table, and no one hesitated to dig in. Eden scooped some salad onto her plate, as did the seventh year boy sitting next to her. Paul Ziegler was one of the select people that Eden deemed trustworthy enough to be friends with. Despite this, Eden could not tell Paul much. There were too many aspects of her life that were required to stay a secret. Paul was also considered a rather strange character around the school. Besides being Ravenclaw Head Boy, he had a well-known obsession with Astronomy. He and Professor Dalzen were practically best mates, as he spent so much time discussing Astronomy with her outside of class. For all of these strange habits, Eden found him rather appealing as a friend. For some reason, many students and teachers alike noticed that he seemed to be gliding on air when he walked. He was rather thin – some would use the word scrawny – and had jet black hair and dark brown eyes. A trademark of his was his necklace with miniature versions of all the planets in the solar system hanging from it.

“Did you receive your O.W.L results over the summer?” Paul asked, taking a swift bite of his salad before turning to Eden.

“Yes, I have,” Eden replied, thinking over the letter she had received that summer.

“Don’t be shy.”

“Have it your way, then. I got an ‘O’ in Potions, Charms, Muggle Studies, and Ancient Runes. I got an ‘E’ in Herbology, Care of Magical Creatures, Astronomy, History of Magic and Defense Against the Dark Arts. Then an ‘A’ in Transfiguration. I suppose I could have tried a bit harder at Transfiguration, but Bollbach’s voice makes me want to fall asleep. I’m terribly glad to have dropped that class this year.”

Paul nodded, taking a sip of his pumpkin juice. “Right you are. I dropped Transfiguration after my fifth year as well. All I need is Astronomy of course. I might add that you did very well. Much better than I, as my only ‘Outstanding’ O.W.L’s were in Astronomy and Divination.” There was a certain dreamy quality in his voice that made Eden realize that he’d drifted off into his own world again.

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:22 am

OOC: Shall we say Jessica's father is part of Antigonus's plans?

IC:

Jessica fell into the food as soon as it appeared on her plate, ate it without question and without reserve. Now that attention wasn't to the front of the Hall anymore, her attire was bound to attract some strange looks. Sure enough, when the other Gryffindors weren't shoving food into their mouths, they were giving her searching glances as though they knew something was up, but couldn't quite place it.

"Ah!" Professor Marx had gotten to his feet once more, and with this one word, the Hall quieted and give him their full attention, "Forgive me--I have forgotten one announcement."

Jessica paused in the action of bringing a forkful of treacle tart to her mouth--

"This year we see the arrival of not only our new first years, but a new student from across the seas in our sister country, America. Please welcome the Gryffindor fifth year Jessica Vandenbrook as she gets used to a new home!" Marx beamed across the hall at the teen while she nearly melted on the spot, "Jessica comes from Crossed Wands Academy on the western coast of the country....please, do your best to make her feel welcome."

"Yeah....hi..." Jessica looked around at all the students, and gave a little wave before continuing her eating.

"Oy!" A voice called out from the Hufflepuff table, "Is that...that isn't..."

Murmurs, mutterings and general fierce whispering broke out all over the Great Hall. A Ravenclaw finished the thought.

"That's Jessica Vandenbrook, Chaser for the American Eagles!"

Pandemonium broke. America had just toppled Britain's team in the World Cup finals, instantly friends began debating over the match, moods were peaked and tables were pounded for emphasis. A tall, lean kid (he must have been a 5th year, too.) wheeled around and gave her a look.

"Well you're in for some trouble."

"Am I?" Jessica said rather scathingly, emphasizing the American vowels in her accent, giving this kid a hard stare.

He huckled, "Oy, Yankee, no need to get all in a huff. I'm just saying...you're going to have your work cut out for ya, fitting in, mate."

"Thanks for the support..." Jessica said, falling into a particularly tempting piece of ham...

"You will, of course, be joining the House team!" A kid across the table addressed her, and she looked up demurely.

"I dunno...is it against the rules?"

"Well we've never had an International player at our school before who was eligible to play on the house team...." the kid continued excitably...

"Remember, i don't abide by your administration, i have my president to worry about.." jessica waved her fork in the air, "So whatever the rule are back home...but yeah,i wouldn't mind playing."

"I'm Stewart, captain of the Gryffindor house team." The lanky kid that had talked to Jessica before shook her hand, forcibly grabbing it, "What do you ride?"

"Eclipse..." Jessica answered promptly.

There was silence, but then another kid down the table pipped up, "It's the Firebolt's big brother, the Firebolt used to be the old standard broom, but its being outstripped by some American models...like the Eclipse! Damn, I'd fancy a go on that thing any day..."

"And THAT, i know, would be against not only the rules, but every code of conduct i posess..." Jess laughed.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:27 pm

OOC: Sure, that sounds good.

IC:

“Before I forget, I should probably introduce our first years to the wonderful Hogwarts staff.” Professor Marx looked back at the main table with a smile. He went from right to left, naming each Professor and the subject they taught. Once he had finished, he tried once more to flip his beard over his shoulder, only to have it flop back down as it had before. It seemed to be a habit of his, rather similar to biting one’s nails.

The Headmaster’s actions elicited a few giggles from some Ravenclaw first years at the end of the table. Eden felt compelled to laugh as well, but was somewhat less than amused. The events that took place during the summer had altered her sense of humor greatly… it was now rarely that she laughed, nor opened her mouth at all. Talking to Professors, or Paul and Jasper were usually the only times she felt it necessary to say anything.

Potent images of a dark basement dungeon fluttered through Eden’s mind. She remembered that place so distinctly, as it was part of the Manor she currently lived in. The walls were made of the roughest stone, only illuminated by the dim flickering of the candelabra. Many times had a non-compliant wolf been thrust against that hard stone surface, ugly, bloody scrapes digging into his bare back. Suddenly Eden’s head was filled with thoughts of each screaming prisoner, chained to the wall, the purest of agony displayed on their faces as the transformation took place. It was a memory that haunted her every thought, every step, every word.

“There is one more piece of pressing information I have for you,” Professor Marx spoke to the students. “And this information is on a more serious note.” The hall grew as quiet as it had ever been, each student already half-knowing what the Headmaster would say. “I’m sure by now all of you are aware who Antigonus is.”

A series of murmurs exploded through the hall.

“Silence!” Professor Marx yelled. The first years looked most alarmed. “As to avoid conclusions being drawn, I am going to warn you now – Antigonus is a dangerous werewolf that sees his kind as better than everyone else. He seeks to bite any witch or wizard that crosses his path, and to have them join his ranks once they are bitten. This is almost a sure bet, as most werewolves are disregarded by society and have nowhere else to go but Antigonus’ clan. I should warn you all not to stray far from the castle, as he and his followers will not spare children.”

A small Hufflepuff first year let out a loud shriek.

“This is not cause for alarm. Whilst all of you are inside the grounds of Hogwarts, no harm can befall you. This castle is protected with the most ancient of magic, as you all are probably aware of. Nonetheless, it is essential that none of you take any risks that could put your life in danger. If you are to refuse Antigonus, or if you stand in his way, he will not hesitate to kill you, or anyone else.”

The same Hufflepuff first year slumped down in her seat, her eyes rolling into the back of her head as she fainted, hitting the stone floor.

“Mr. Edwards, will you please escort Miss Chen to the hospital wing? Madam Lachley will go with you.”

A tall black boy that had been sitting at the Hufflepuff table near the fainted girl scooped her limp body off the floor. He carried her out of the Great Hall, followed by Madam Lachley who had scurried over from the main table.

“Everyone may now return to their common rooms. First years, follow your house prefects, they will show you to your dorms.”

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Jessica had kept quiet for the duration of this tirade. It had given the students around her reason to not pester her anymore about her status as an International Player, which consequently gave her reason to pay more attention to the food still on her plate. She turned a deaf ear to the words coming out of this new Professors mouth, none of this concerned her. What did she care if yet another British wizard was making life difficult in America? And yes as much as she wanted to completely ignore all the things that were being said...

She knew that her father was in the country, most likely working for Antigonus.

She heard the call to head to the Common rooms. The eleven year olds stood up and began shuffling awkwardly towards the Gryfindor house leader...

She stood awkwardly as well, figuring that she might as well stealthily make her way over to the common room.

OOC: Blam it all, when i made my char a Gryffindor i forgot how hard it will be to get a character interaction with you, then lol.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:45 pm

OOC: It’s okay, I’m sure we’ll manage!

IC:

Knowing very well that Professor Marx did not want any more information about Antigonus to get out, Eden rose from her seat. There was nothing she could do. Her secrets must remain concealed, not out of fear or hatred, but out of love. No matter how horrible the wizarding world made Antigonus seem, Eden could not hate her godfather. She may not have agreed with everything he did, but it was not possible for her to hate him; not after everything he had done for her. Antigonus was the only one willing to take Jasper and Eden into his home when their father was sent to Azkaban. No one else had showed them that degree of kindness – and for that Eden was in debt. That was her primary reason for learning to brew the Wolf’s Elixr for her godfather. It was her way of repaying his kindness, and to a lesser extent, it was a method by which to prove her worth.

Eden waved a quick goodbye to Paul before weaving through the mass of nervously chattering students to the opposite side of the Great Hall. As the bobbing heads passed by, Eden noticed that the students’ conversations consisted mostly of hushed whispers about what they had heard of the Great Werewolf Antigonus.

“I heard he’s got followers all over England and Ireland…”
“I wonder how many he’s got by this point?”
“Somebody here could be one and nobody would even know!”

At that last statement spoken by a first year Slytherin, Eden stopped in her tracks. She could figure that the assumption was merely that – an assumption. The boy said himself that no one would notice a werewolf in their midst… but would they?

“He shouldn’t have made that speech,” Jasper stated angrily once Eden had reached him at the Slytherin table. “He doesn’t know a thing about Antigonus. He’s got all the students worried, and our godfather certainly won’t like that.”

“Keep your voice down,” Eden told him reproachfully. “We do what we are supposed to do and nothing else, you hear? The Wolf’s Elixr is our job, but beyond that I want nothing to do with his plans.”

“You very well know that I cannot simply ignore him when he summons me! It’s only a matter of time before his sights shift to Hogwarts. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten your promise to him?”

Eden had not. She would never forget the promise that Antigonus had forced her to make. The terms would be fulfilled upon her graduation from Hogwarts, and that was only at the end of the next year. Jasper had unfortunately sealed his fate long ago, and had conceded, letting Antigonus bite him…
That night would never be erased from Eden’s mind. She was only young, but the amount of Jasper’s blood that had been spilled was a gruesome, haunting image.
“I just hope you don’t forget yourself, Eden.” Jasper’s tone was deadly quiet, and the serious responsibility in his eyes was not one normally saw in a seventeen-year-old. “Antigonus won’t be happy if you do. He will want to see us soon, so get some sleep while you can.”

The two left the Great Hall, amidst a few of the other stragglers. As they eased out into the Entrance Hall, Eden felt a sharp pain in her shoulder and immediately her hand shot up to grip the spot. She looked ahead of her, and there stood a slim girl with dark hair, wearing odd black robes, similarly gripping her own shoulder. Eden vaguely recognized her as the Gryffindor girl that had been introduced as a new student from America.

“Erm… all right?” Eden said cautiously, not sure if it was her fault that the two had bumped shoulders. She could feel Jasper standing close behind her, and figured that his hand was protectively gripping his wand in the pocket of his robes. Without realizing it, Eden had done the same. She had a firm grip on her wand – 10 ½ inches, Thestral hair, Mahogany – and let go quickly. She slipped her other hand out of her pocket, dropping her wand back in, and extended the hand to the girl. “Eden Exley,” she introduced herself, taking a quick glance back at Jasper, who seemed to be slightly more relaxed and had let go of his wand as well.

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:17 am

"Jess Vandenbrook..." Jessica extended her hand without reserve, glad to finally make a friend that WASN'T Quidditch obsessed, "Ravenclaw? Right...I'm still not quite sure how houses and stuff all work here. We don't divide the student body where i come from, but i suppose this way its more competitive and students are put on edge..."

She was speaking more to herself than to those around her, one of her more interesting habits. She could spin of wildly on tangents while not really zoned in the same stratosphere, and while it amused some people it could get maddening.

Jess chuckled, "Anyways, so I'm not sure who I'm supposed to hate at this school, and who I'm supposed to like. Damn, they haven't even gotten me matching robes yet, i look like a sore..."

She and Eden were bustled along by the student body, most of whom were pressing on, eager to get to their Common rooms. Avoiding the hails from across the Hall, hoarse shouts of her Quidditch fame, Jessica shot Eden a fleeting look, "Aiyo, mate...want to show me around this place some time?"

It was her brazen attempt at a British accent, and for all practical purposes it wasn't that bad. She didn't think she could bring herself to do it ever again though, it had been a bit on the spot, random, and un called for. Of course, that was something that pretty much defined her flighty existence.

Jessica flipped a grin and waited for a response.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:06 pm

Eden was startled by Jessica’s request, but kept her facial expression indifferent. It was not often that anyone asked her for anything aside from help with their potions homework. This new, American girl stood in front of her with a grin on her face, and Eden mentally punished herself for wondering of Jessica’s ulterior motives. She’s just new here and would like a tour; don’t get your wand in a knot… Eden thought to herself. This summer has changed everything. I am unable to trust someone now, and who do I have to thank for that?

Eden cleared her throat quietly. “Yes, I could do that.” Her voice was polite, courteous. She looked at Jessica’s attire, an unfamiliar school crest sewn onto her robes near the breastbone. “You needn’t worry about your robes. A new set of Gryffindor ones will be waiting for you in your dorm, I expect. If you can count on one thing here at Hogwarts, it will be organization.”

It was only when she felt his long-fingered hand grip onto her elbow that Eden realized Jasper was still standing behind her. Without needing to look back, Eden knew that Jasper’s expression was likely one of irritation. He had no time or patience for small talk with strangers, and Eden knew the height of his frustration once his fingernails dug into her elbow painfully.

“Another time, then?” she said quickly to Jessica. “We may share a few classes if you’re in sixth year. I’ll see you round then.” Jasper pulled her along stealthily past the girl. They headed into the dungeons, far away in the recesses where their conversation wouldn’t be overheard. It was only then that Jasper released his grip.

“I shall haste to remind you that a stranger is not a friend.”

“Bloody hell, I only agreed to show her around the castle,” Eden retorted, studying the apathetic expression that came over her brother’s face in the dim light of the corridor. “The way you talk, you make it seem as though I’ve told her who our godfather is!”

“Do not be foolish enough to speak of him here. Remember what I told you. He will want to see both of us very soon, and I do not think it a good idea to befriend any strangers right now!”

Eden snorted in a disapproving tone. “I did not intend to.”

“Good. I am able to place my trust in Ziegler, but no one else.” Jasper’s voice was commanding – Eden knew that he was more like Antigonus than he realized, or liked to admit for that matter. “I will see you in the morning.” He stalked off, disappearing down the hallway that led to the Slytherin common room.

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:16 pm

The Ravenclaw girl had been correct. There was a freshly pressed set of black robes waiting for Jessica as she stumbled into her dorm. The teen stared at them mutinously, and decided to not bother with them until the morrow. She pulled her old school robes off over her head, revealing that she had been wearing jeans and a name brand sweatshirt under the garb the whole time. Although she was pureblood witch to the bone (with a starkly traditional family) she still enjoyed hanging out with muggle friends on the weekend at home. It had been difficult to explain to them all that she had to go across seas to school, and leave out the detail of their school. Thusly she had done some memory charms on the group of them...

Jessica chuckled--did Hogwarts really know the depths of her magical skill? All around her enchantments were weaved, but did the administration understand the strength of her blood, of her line? How she was desired by Angigonus himself for her pure brute strength? That's where her father was anyways. Jessica walked over to the four poster, pulled back the hangings and sat down on the edge of the bed.

Seeing as the fifth year girls had already been divided into dorms, Jessica (The latecomer) had been assigned her own dormitory. She was unused to this system, but rationalized that she would get used to it.

Her suitcase was at the foot of the bed, waiting for her patiently. Jessica sent a nonverbal to the thing, and it flipped itself open, clothes and other assorted objects. While this was going on, Jessica slipped off the bed and walked around to the front...and smiled when she saw the oblong package sitting there next to her dismantled suitcase.

It was her Eclipse broom, probably her prized posession (next to her wand, of course.) There was no need to unwrap it. Even though it was off season for her, she knew she probably had best keep in shape and keep practicing...maybe by even joining the House team. Distantly, Jessica touched the broom's worn packaging, grateful that it had not been harmed on the way over.

Now, was the matter of her actual schooling. She was considered a fifth year here due to her age, but she would be in mostly sixth year classes because of the difference in cirriculum from America to Britain. She had been warned, coming over. Warned to keep her head while others glorified her as a celebrity. Warned to keep her head while dueling (if it came down to it.)

Warned...ultimately...about her fathers master.

"Damn..." Jessica sighed, and flopped back on the bed.

OOC: Two questions.
1- can we time skip to the morning?
2- are we going to do Quidditch matches here?

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:35 pm

As a new day had dawned, the sun peaking slightly over the tops of the mountains, Eden dressed and grabbed her supplies for the day. Heading down to the Great Hall, her mind was absorbed with thoughts of Antigonus, and specifically, of when he would contact she and Jasper. He would send them an owl first, as he most often did, that would alert them to the time and place they would be meeting. Eden and Jasper would cast some strong spells on the fireplace in one of their common rooms, allowing it to be used for travel, and would then step through it straight to Antigonus’ Manor, where he sat waiting for them.
It was only a matter of time before this thought was realized, and Eden could only imagine what Antigonus had to say. He would most likely give them new orders, new tasks to complete for him undetected. If they failed or refused him, nothing good would come – only pain. It had only been once in her first year at Hogwarts that Eden acted naïve enough to receive the Cruciatus Curse from her godfather, but she was not pleased with the prospect of a repeat situation. Antigonus did care for her – she knew that well – but in his eyes, affection did not constitute a basis for accepting failure. His kind of love was not the usual kind; it was protection, security, and trust.

Eden realized that her bond with her godfather was different from her brother’s. Antigonus used Jasper, and constantly put him to the test, always making sure that he was man enough and worthy to serve such a master. Eden couldn’t understand why Antigonus was so hard on the boy that was like the son he never had, but the term ‘tough love’ came to mind.

Breakfast was hurried, as students wolfed down meals and rushed off to class. Eden took her time with her bacon and eggs before heading off to her first class of the day, Herbology. Since the class was N.E.W.T level, quite a few students had dropped it, probably not requiring it for the job they wanted. The remaining students from each of the four houses had therefore been combined into one greenhouse, forming one regular sized class.

Eden took a spot at the end of the long greenhouse table with a few other Ravenclaws. Some Slytherins followed, taking spots at the front of the table near Professor Mulligan. The Hufflepuffs followed, sitting in the spots right behind the Slytherins.

OOC:
1. Yes, it's morning now
2. My character Eden doesn't play Quidditch, but Jasper does so I can do his POV if you want to have a Quidditch match...

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Jessica had decided to skip breakfast, not sure if she was already willing to risk fighting the crowds in the Great Hall for a morsel to eat, though. On her way down to 1st hour Herbolody (She was taking all N.E.W.T level classes, despite her position as a 5th year) an eagle owl had swooped from the sky and nearly scalped her. She instantly recognized the beast as her own owl, Race. Shouldering her bag, she let the owl light upon her arm a she still headed down to the greenhouses, across the grounds.

"Hmm...maybe i should go downstairs. Did you show up with all the other post owls?"

Race's dark eyes were wide as she gently tugged the letter from his beak. The instant the thing was in her hands, Race spread his wings and was gone again, arcing high into the sky. She gave a little grin--post owls in Britain were much friendlier than her own. She had no doubt that the other owls had run Race from the keep due to his posessive and vindictive nature.

Jessica stopped to read the letter, wandering aimlessly, no longer with a purpose. She missed the first warning bell as she found herself lost in the letter.

It was from Jake Grose, the Captain of the American Eagles Quidditch team, and also her good friend. His untidy scrawl was familiar to her, and made her feel a little warmer on the inside. He brought her good tidings and wished her well, warning her to stay away from the more voracious Britain Quidditch fans in case they were still angry over the latest crushing defeat of the homeland. It went on for a few pages, and Jessica's eyes ate it up greedily. She was so into the letter that she failed to realize that the tardy bell had already rung.

She entered Greenhouse 5, and found herself being looked at by the entire rest of the class.

"Nice of you to join us," Professor Mulligan said a little shortly. (He happened to be an avid supporter of the British International team, and therefore was feeling particularly ungracious to the starring Chaser before him, "Five points from Gryffindor, miss vandenbrook."

This statement went over Jessica's head completely. She didn't really understand the points system that had been explained to her, and thusly made a beeline over to Eden, "Don't look so surprised to see a 5th year in your N.E.W.T class, chief."

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:29 am

Taking out her textbook, Eden’s eyes wandered to the greenhouse door, where a lone Gryffindor had arrived late to class. She was rather surprised to notice that the girl was Jessica Vandenbrook, whom she had run into the previous night. “I thought you were a fifth year…?” Eden asked Jessica as the Gryffindor sat down beside her, but trailed off when Professor Mulligan spoke.

“Welcome to Herbology everyone. As I am very sure you are aware of, this is a N.E.W.T level class, and to be here you must have earned at least an ‘Exceeds Expectations’ on your fifth year Herbology O.W.L. Since this class is preparing you for your N.E.W.T’s next year, the lessons will be rather more difficult, and you will be receiving more homework than you previously have. Does anyone have any questions?”

A short Hufflepuff girl was the only one to raise her hand. Professor Mulligan nodded at her, and she asked, “Will we be learning about sneezewort this year?”

“By taking a look through the chapter index of your textbooks, you should get a good idea of the subject of each lesson.” When no more hands were raised, Professor Mulligan digressed. “Shall we get started, then? No use wasting valuable time.” With a flick of his wand, he levitated a small, leafy plant to the middle of the long greenhouse table. “Can anyone tell me what this is?”

A dark-haired Slytherin boy raised his hand. “That’s lovage, Sir.”

“Correct you are, Mr. Yates. Five points to Slytherin. Now, would any of you care to tell me a little bit about this plant, specifically what potions it is used in?”

Eden raised her hand swiftly, knowing the answer right away. Anything to do with potions came second nature to her. She assumed that very reason accounted for her high marks in Herbology. Eden realized as she looked around that hers was the only hand raised. “Lovage –” she began “– is a culinary and medicinal herb that causes inflaming of the brain. It therefore is used quite often in Confusing and Befuddlement Draughts.”

“Very good Miss Exley; five points to Ravenclaw.” Professor Mulligan turned around, taking a quick look at all the lovage plants on a table behind him. “Everyone come up and grab one plant for yourself. We will be harvesting the leaves of the lovage plant for use in potion making.”

Eden rose from her seat, making way for the front of the greenhouse.

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:35 am

OOC: Hope you don't mind me picking up where you left off what with the whole lovage thing. How were you planning on our charries finding out their mutual connection with Antigonus? Aaaaand (sorry, i know I have a lot of questions) are the spells still the same from the actual series? We're not meddling there?

IC:

Jessica stepped after Eden, a smile on her lips as she took one of the potted plants.

"You're pretty quick on the answers there, chief. As to your question, aye I'm a 5th year but the system is completely different back home...thats why I'm in your advanced class. I've got a 4.0, believe it or not, and I'm ready to show this school what I've got," Jessica paused in the action of returning to her table, "Haha that rhymed..."

Her carefree nature was starting to grate on the nerves of the students already. A few Slytherins were giving her looks of cool disdain, and the others bore softer looks of polite puzzlement. She didn't worry about it too much, it was her first day, her first class. And she was hanging out with a Ravenclaw. Had she made a friend? She normally attracted friends, but today she just seemed to be getting looks of annoyance. Oh well, it happened. The only place she really felt at home was in the sky on her broom...

"For a further five points; does anyone know the proper way to harvest the leaves from the lovage plant?" Professor Mulligan asked, looking around at the students.

Jessica didn't raise her hand, busy situating her plant. She answered anyways, "Well, unless you're a fan of an inflamed brain, you probably want to avoid actually touching or crushing the leaves in any way. That juice is potent and it comes out easy. If you're good enough at it, there's a specialized charm, in essence a finicky severing charm," Jess pulled her wand from her pocket and twirled it expertly, pointing it at her leaves, "~Lamina Quadrifolia!~"

The veins of the targeted leaf were illuminated for a brief moment before the thing disconnected from its stem, and drifted gracefully to the table where it lay, quite demure and unthreatening.

Jessica looked to the Professor, who nodded.

"Five points to Gryffindor...excellent, well done. Yes, it's a charm put together very recently by the best Wizard's Latin scholars of our day because too many herbologists and botanists were unknowingly having their minds assaulted as they tried to harvest this seemingly harmless plant..." Mulligan gave a soft chuckle, "It's almost like that explained so much..."

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:46 pm

OOC: It’s alright to introduce new spells as long as you explain what they are. I was thinking about waiting a while before the two characters realize they are both connected to Antigonus, I was thinking that Eden and Jasper would fail at doing something, then be summoned by Antigonus, and they would possibly meet Jessica and her father at the Manor? You can decide their reason for being there. Antigonus has to give Eden and Jasper something to do first, but you’ll know when they fail and have to go to the Manor. Does that sound alright?

IC:

Eden was mildly impressed by Jessica’s severing charm, but would never say so. It was probably the Slytherin in her. She had very nearly been sorted into the house of the serpent her first year. She was cunning, but her intellect was too overpowering for the sorting hat not to place her in Ravenclaw. Antigonus was very proud of her for being sorted into this house, as his own wife Fiona had been a Ravenclaw as well. She was very crafty, escaping from Azkaban both times she had been placed there. Only after catching her the third time did they give her the Dementor’s Kiss, and this was perhaps the only time Eden ever saw Antigonus be remorseful.

It was on his orders that she had bitten the previous Minister of Magic, Ralph Lyle, turning him into one of their kind. However, he was not strong enough, and had died during the transformation. Aurors hunted Fiona for months before finally catching her, the second in command behind Antigonus himself. This was perhaps the biggest loss on the werewolves’ side, but it only made Antigonus extremely angry and vengeful, vowing to bring forth the permanent collapse of the Ministry.

“ Lamina Quadrifolia.” A leaf from Eden’s loavge plant detached itself from the stem, floating serenely to the table without any of the potent liquid spilling from inside of it. She levitated it over to her designated bowl, and got to work on the remaining leaves.

“Remember; do not levitate the leaf into your bowl with force! This could cause the juice to squire out at you, and I would rather not have to use the antidote. You are all sixth years, and should be very skilled at these kinds of spells by now!”

Just as Professor Mulligan had finished, the short Hufflepuff girl that had asked about sneezewort earlier let out a shriek. She had done exactly what he had warned not to do, her leaf was placed with too much force into her bowl, bright green liquid squirting out, splattering onto her face and robes.

Strangely, Eden stifled the urge to laugh as Professor Mulligan rushed over to the girl with a vial of antidote in his hands. She wondered why the girl had bothered to take Herbology at N.E.W.T level if she couldn’t even handle a simple lovage leaf.

“Go on with your work, then!” Professor Mulligan shouted. “She’s fine now that the antidote has been administered!” The girl looked positively stricken, but otherwise alright. Professor Mulligan instructed a friend of hers to escort her down to the hospital wing to let Madam Lachley have a look at her anyway. “Once you’ve finished harvesting all the leaves of your plant, bring them up to this table, and then copy down the homework.” Tapping his wand on the small blackboard hanging on one side of the greenhouse, a number of questions about the lovage plant appeared. “These are due next class!”

Eden levitated the rest of her leaves into the bowl, and glanced over at Jessica who had done the same. They brought their bowls to the front table at the same time, walking next to one another. “Ready to show this school what you’ve got, then?” Eden asked, finding herself grinning at the Gryffindor. “You’d better hope you’re not in my Potions class…” It was odd to feel herself being defensive, but Potions was her area of expertise, and having someone be better than her at it would prove to provide inner pain like that of a broken heart.

She took her seat once more, taking out a quill and parchment to write down the homework. The questions were easy, composed of things like What is the Latin name for Lovage? and What are the effects of Lovage when used in Confusing and Befuddlement Draughts?. Eden was happy to see such easy homework, as it would give her ample time to contemplate what Antigonus would have to say upon their next conversation…

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:35 am

OOC: Hmm...I don't think Jessica should be directly involved with Antigonus yet, remember its just her father that is used as a powerful caster. Maybe it should be backwards, Jasper and Eden going to the manor and meeting Jessica's father, and being told to make Jessica join them....and then when she refuses (The failure you mentioned) then they go back but she comes with them to say it herself.

IC:

Jessica chuckled, "No worries, I'm terrible at potions, the Dark Arts are more my area of expertise. Are you in my next hour Potions class? Now THAT would be a coincidence."

The lanky Gryffindor that had spoken to Jessica the day before now sauntered up, a jaunty grin on his face, "Oy, Vandenbrooke! House tryouts are tonight, are you gonna show your stuff and fly for our team?"

"I dunno..." Jessica looked at this kid and cracked her knuckles swiftly before slipping her notebook back into her bag, "Am i welcome?"

"Welcome?" The kid nearly choked, "We'd be HONORED to have you! Those exceptional scores you pulled at the game last month, the way you walked all over Chancley and Romerson...our BEST Keepers and you managed to sneak it past every time...I'm just sorry that we can't get you teammates that are more skilled."

"Ah, save it of course I'll play." Jessica tossed her pretty head and slung her bag over her shoulder as the bell rang, "Name?"

"Race Cunningham, I'm the Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team." The lad shook her hand again, pumping it up and down like there was no tomorrow, "And hey, nice work with that spell there. Even though this is a N.E.W.T level class, beleive it or not some kids don't know how to pull it off..."

The students filtered from the greenhouse and up the grounds into the castle. The Hufflepuffs left the rest of the group, some of them still having Care of Magical Creatures out on the grounds, but most headed back up into the main building. Jessica walked with Race, but still kept an eye on Eden.

Up the steps and into the side hall. It was at this point that Jessica realized she had no idea where her second hour potions class was. At her old school it had been in the classroom on the third corridoor down the second stair landing but now she didnt have a clue.

She fought back against the moving sea of students, nearly tripping over her new billowing school robes, and found Eden.

"Hey! Potions, where?"

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:50 pm

OOC: Sure, that sounds like a good idea. I’ll get the plan in motion soon then.

IC:

“You’re just lucky that I have second hour potions too…” Eden drawled, looking at Jessica as the girl almost tripped over her own robes. She wasn’t really quite sure what to make of her just yet. Shrugging, Eden led the way down into the dungeons, her long silvery hair billowing out behind her. She felt Jessica’s presence behind her as their shoes tapped on the dungeon floor.

Eden stopped only when she had reached a large and rather dark stone-floored classroom. She took her usual seat on the left side of the room, not looking to see whether Jessica had followed. She absorbed herself in her copy of Advanced Potion Making, but felt a presence in the seat next to her.

Once all the Ravenclaws and Gryffindors sat down, Professor Agnello moved to the front of the classroom swiftly. He was a tall, lean man with short snow-white hair. Most students guessed he was in his thirties, but no one knew for sure. He had wrinkles on his face that showed signs of aging, but his bright green eyes said otherwise. He was everyone’s least favorite teacher, as he had a tendency to take a strip off of everyone whose work was not prefect, but this did not stop quite a few female students from causing mishaps when they decided to gaze at Professor Agnello’s green eyes instead of their work.

The classroom was dead silent when he spoke, but there was no warm welcome in his words. “I expect that all of you have achieved the required ‘O’ on your O.W.L’s to be here. If you haven’t, then you can leave now.”

The students looked around at one another in mild shock, but no one moved.

He continued, “I will have you kicked out of this class if you show me anything less than acceptable. This is N.E.W.T level, and I pity you if you choose to disregard the seriousness of that.” He pointed his wand at a piece of chalk, muttered an incantation, and the chalk started to scribble furiously on the board.

“Tell me, do any of you children know what the Draught of Living Death is?” Professor Agnello asked, his voice drawling into particular disdain with the word ‘children’.

Eden’s hand was up in a split second.

“Yes, Miss Exley?”

“The Draught of Living Death causes the drinker to fall into a very deep sleep. The effects can only be reversed with the proper antidote, which is very difficult to make.”

“You are correct; ten points to Ravenclaw.” Professor Agnello did not smile, or show any signs of being overly satisfied with Eden’s answer, but she knew it was all an act. Professor Agnello did not put on the same act when the two were alone in his office discussing potions, as they most often did.

“The necessary ingredients are on the board. Follow the instructions in your textbook on page ten. And may I remind you, I have no antidote, so do not become curious with your potions when they are finished. Although, I don’t think I would complain if many of you fell into lifelong slumber…”

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:09 pm

OOC: I'm gearing this post so that your char gets kind of annoyed at mine...(So that she will have a reason to be REALLY confused when Antigonus mentions her) And i didn't mean to make Agnello such a hard-ass, i guess that's just how he came out. Soz!!

IC:

Jessica chuckled at this bit of dark, humorless humor from the potions master. Her problem with potions was that she didn't like it at all. It took no real skill to just take proper measurements and dump them into one giant steaming pot, at least that was her reasoning. Thusly she took no pride in it, no joy. She knew the recipe for the Draught by heart and left her book closed on her desk. It took her little time to put everything together, and even though it wasn't stellar it still would do the job.

"Are you patronizing me, miss Vandenbrooke?" The Potions master strolled past her station and glared into her cauldron, the expression on his face showing her that he was not pleased.

"No sir." Jessica looked up innocently, "What do you mean? Is my potion alright?"

"You make a mockery of my subject, do you not?" Agnello said, his eyebrows raised, "American wizards do not put as much store in potions as they should, and you are no exception. You have thrown together here something without heart, without enthusiasm, without the real intent behind what is meant to..."

"What do you mean, sir?" Jessica's tone was still innocent, and she looked politely puzzled, "Is my potion alright?"

Agnello's frustration came from being a true master at potions. He knew the care that went into measuring and stirring, the wistful fantasies of the final brew, the pleasure taken in smelling the steam rising from a gently simmering pot, the beauty in watching elements mix and combine...Jessica saw none of this, and had simply done everything as fast as possible--albeit completely correct. He could not take points from her house or punish her for what she had done--produce a slightly better than average potion, be it swiftly and without gusto.

"Put it in a flask, and place it on my desk." Agnello said thinly, "Your assignment, Miss Vandenbrooke, is a five page essay on the many uses and practicality of potions and why Potions is a highly respectable branch of magic..."

"Whatever you say." Jessica said jauntily.

A titter went up from the Gryffindors. None of them were fans of Potions either.

Agnello's nostrils flared, "Five points from--"

"For what?" Race spoke up from the back of the room, "You asked for a potion, and she gave you one."

Agnello whirled back to the board, "That essay is now due for EVERYONE, and not just Miss Vandenbrooke. Back to your potions, all of you, and silence until the end of the hour!"

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Inertia on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:56 pm

OOC: It's alright, he's supposed to be pretty mean.

IC:

Eden looked past the Ravenclaw girl sitting beside her, and over at Jessica. Professor Agnello had glided back to the front of the classroom, but Jessica’s anger did not fade. The rest of the class – even her fellow Gryffindors – were looking at her with fire in their eyes. Even though it was only the first day, it would be safe to guess that everyone would have homework already, and a five page essay on ‘why Potions is a highly respectable branch of magic’ was not something that they had time for.

The essay would be no problem for Eden, as her mind had already formulated the words for her. She had the same, intense passion for the art of potion making that Morose Agnello did. They were perhaps ‘two peas in a pod’ in that sense, not that either would share that information with anyone else. In class, Agnello treated her just as he treated every other student, except that he was at a loss to criticize her work. Eden had to wonder why Jessica had felt the need to talk back, especially to Professor Agnello of all teachers, but Eden knew that some things in life were worth sticking up for – like dignity.

She was not a stranger to fighting authority, as Antigonus was both her godfather and blood relative. There were some differences in the way he treated her and Jasper. Her brother was only allowed to call Antigonus ‘master’, ‘sir’ or ‘godfather’ on occasion. Eden did not call him master, as he was not so. To him, Jasper was just another obedient servant. Eden was something more. She was like a daughter, but was still an important resource to him because of her potion-making ability. He called her Eden, and when there was no one else around, she called him by his first name.

Eden worked in silence for the rest of the class, her Draught of Living Death turning perfectly clear as specified in her textbook. She had already made her own notes beside the instructions; usually they were modifications of the steps. One of the most important ones being to crush the sopophorous beans with the flat side of a silver dagger rather than cut them, which proved a better way to extract the juice. Even her fellow Ravenclaws did not think to do this, as all of their potions were a pale lilac shade no matter how long they continued to stir them.

The bell rung, and all the students scooped a vial full of their potion up, putting a cork in the top and bringing it up to Professor Agnello’s desk. He tried to conceal a grin, but Eden knew he was pleased with himself for giving them so much homework.

Thankful that it was time for lunch, Eden was first out of the classroom. She decided not to say anything as she passed Jessica, for she resented the fact that the five page essay would be taking up the time that she had previously wished to have for reflection.

She made the long journey up to the seventh floor to drop her books in her dorm, then walked back down to the Great Hall with Paul.

Inertia
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!