Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

How Much is Too Much?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

How Much is Too Much?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm currently working on a roleplay and I have a little Interest Check topic opened (interest-checks-dark-fantasy-medieval-setting-t86759.html), check it out if you the time. I like depth and detail, I like to make entire worlds that characters can immerse themselves in. HOWEVER, I have a bad habit of "detail vomiting". I have so much detail in mind, that I tend to just throw it all out there on a page.

So my question is, how much would you say is too much detail? Do you know of an outline either on here or elsewhere that has a neat outline as to what kinds of questions I should answer to provide pertinent and enough detail, but that isn't going to also overload people into becoming uninterested, and not want to even join? Please let me know what you think.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: How Much is Too Much?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonRaven on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:47 pm

If you are prone to "detail vomiting" I'd go with the bare minimum. Don't worry about giving out too little detail, chances are you'd get across more than enough.

There's also the Reporter's rule of thumb: "Who, what, when, where." That is, where are we (and when), what's going on and who's involved. The rest can be filled in as needed.
That's my style of approach anyway, I tend to give my players the textual equivalent of a sketch, then fill in the details as we go.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MoonRaven
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Mk. Thanks. That helps. I hadn't thought of coming at it that way.

sethwy91
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonRaven on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:26 am

You're welcome. I'm glad you found it helpful. :D

MoonRaven
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby sethwy91 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:04 am

Apparently toe the only one who wants to help me :-( lol

I've GM'd a lot, and people say they like my stories, I just have that one problem lol. Have you GM'd a lot?

sethwy91
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonRaven on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 am

Hi again. Meant to answer this ages ago, but then one thing lead to another in my life and I forgot.

Regardless, yes you could say I've GM'ed a lot. In toto, if we count all my years in AD&D and D&D 3.5 I have over a dozen years of GM/DM/whatever behind me.

I learned the 'rule of bare minumum' & 'who/what/when/where' early on, in fact long before I ever became a GM from the guy who was GM our group at the time.
What he said was that the less you give out, the freer hands you have to change things later on. That is, if your players don't behave the way you thought they would, and they never do XD, then you can always adapt things.

As for being the only one who wants to help I'm not so sure. Both the "rules" I mentioned are pretty much golden rules amongst most GM's and since I've already covered it, people may not have a whole lot to say. I know I run across this "problem" often, that I want to comment on a thread, but what I want to say have already been said so I just stay silent.

Btw. Since it has been a while, how are things going with roleplay?

MoonRaven
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!