Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Idea in need of Development.

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Idea in need of Development.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLyzvc8QHL0

Hi there,

I don’t know if any of you are familiar with the TV show above, but if you are you’ll know its a little bit out there (I believe the Americanos can watch it online).

Anyway the basic premise is there is this guy who may have supernatural powers or be the devil or an angel of something else who can grant people a wish in return all they have to do is complete a task. Of course the rub is the tasks are often very heinous for example he made a senior citizen who wanted to cure her husband’s medical problems plant a bomb, a girl who wanted to be pretty had to rob a bank etc.

It’s a good low key show which is all about the performances of the actors and development of the characters.

Which I feel makes it fertile ground for an RP and I’m asking you how you would make it happen.

I’ve got two ideas.

The first one is two RPers come into the diner and ask for something the man then gives them two opposing objectives. For example Bob has to kill Tim while Steve has protect Tim and so on. This would obviously result in a more intense combative RP.

The second is more like a short fiction group. An RPer comes up with a character and a desire then they get a task to complete. The RPer then writes a short story about their characters reaction and whether or not they complete the task.

Anyway I was wondering how you would make this work or even if you think it’s a RPable idea.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Idea in need of Development.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Hey Bosch,

Sorry you haven't had a response yet, this is a difficult one! I think it'd be difficult to develop into a large scale roleplay solely for the fact that there isn't any foreseeable way to continue once the initial task is completed. The scenario you've proposed would naturally lead to one person dead.

I think it wouldn't be do able as a small scale (2-4 players) roleplay with players that enjoy text combat.

Best of luck.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Modesty
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks text combat is ok but i'm very poor at running it. I reckon the second idea is the way to go. A collection of short stories by different authors but all based in the same world. I think I ve got an idea that will work better with this than the one above though.

Thanks for the post though.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:07 am

No problem, best of luck!

Modesty
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!