Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Ideas

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Ideas

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rynn on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 am

Okay, so it's been a while since I've roleplayed on a public website, and to be honest, my idea pool's a little dried up. But I just know I really really want to get back in the game again.

I have one idea, but it's something I'm a little reluctant to do: a Game of Thrones theme (since it's my current obsession) with the same universe, same laws, religions, creatures, houses, but with all-new characters and storylines. My issue with this is that (1) This has probably already been done before. (2) Creating completely new and original characters and stories may be a bit difficult and I'm just scared of it coming too close to rewriting the original story just with different names attached. (3) This is kind of more personal, but since I've only really watched the series and just started the first book, I'd rather not have 'real fans' (book readers) coming at me and saying 'OMG UR NOT A REAL FAN U HAVENT READ THE BOOKS U HAVE NO RIGHT DOING THIS !!1!11!1' or whatever - pretty much how a good number of The Hunger Games fandom are.

But yeah, I'd like to hear what you fine fellows are interested in. The plots I usually do are along the lines of fantasy/supernatural/dystopian/romance type things, so if anyone has any ideas for plots like that or want to help me broaden my roleplaying horizons, I would be truly grateful.

Edit:

I'd just like to ask another little question - Which do you prefer?
(1) Characters who are completely your own creation - no face claims or set personalities a/o relationships
(2) Characters with face claims but no set personalities a/o relationships
(3) Characters with set personalities a/o relationships but no face claims
(4) Characters with complete bios - face claims and set personalities a/o relationships
If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rynn
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter

Re: Ideas

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Romaneck on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm

O NO EETZ A TEBE PHAN KEEL EET!

well I am going to give you some things to consider, first you have to realize that Game of Thrones is heavily grounded on its characters, If you take for example Ned Stark, Robert Baratheon, or Jaime Lannister and twitch them a bit then the whole setting has changed since their actions shaped the seven kingdoms.

It depends entirely on the crowd you want to cater to, maybe you want to give a spin to the Rebellion of Robert and have the Mad King come on top in this tale, or mayhap use the same pre- existing setting when the books/series begin and place some new protagonists to alter the story, this way while certain things would be grounded in stone (Ned becomes the hand, Jon goes to the wall, Bran is shoved out of the window, Daenerys gets married to the Khal) through the characters of our play things could get avoided altogether (The imp never gets captured, Robert lives, Bran dies etc.)

More over, it would get complicated if the role play advances, suppose that you make it through events of the first book, the following ones have events that sooner or later would catch up (King beyond the wall, Dorne, The Golden Company to name a few without spoiling anything)

Well I mayhap you had already considered these points
"Incessant wind sweeps the plain. It murmurs on across grey stone, carrying dust from far climes to nibble eternally at the memorial pillars. There are a few shadows out there still but they are the weak and the timid and the hopelessly lost.

It is immortality of a sort.

Memory is immortality of a sort.

In the night, when the wind dies and silence rules the place of glittering stone, I remember. And they all live again."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Romaneck
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Ideas

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rynn on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:22 am

The thing I was more thinking of is scrapping the pre-existing story entirely and just using the world that George created, giving the players complete free-reign with their characters, or perhaps even move away from the original story even more and just have the basic plot of the struggle for power/the throne kind of thing (with other stories intermingling of course), but that would involve taking some of the freedom away from people's characters, since I have a really specific idea in my head and I'm not really sure how people on this website feel about character bios and such (hence my question at the end).

But to be perfectly honest, if it turns out that I am able to pull off either of those ideas successfully - then fantastic, but I'd really rather have a completely new idea to go on, but alas, I think my GoT obsession's poisoned my creative mind.

Rynn
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!