Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

INCEPTION Roleplay [small group]

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

INCEPTION Roleplay [small group]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in doing a roleplay based off the movie Inception. If you haven't seen the movie it's probably best to do so, but I'll try to explain it to you the best I can if you're really into this idea.

We will run a small extraction team. In my worldview there are other teams out there, too, but for the most part would stay out of each other's ways. Some teams specialize in intel-gathering for the highest bidder (like Leo Dicaprio’s team in the movie) but others focus on different things. Some extractors provide perfect dreams for trusted customers (think Total Recall; pay the right amount and they will make whatever dream you want for a certain number of nights). Some do dream therapy for people, digging up repressed memories and helping the dreamer deal with them. Some are sort of dream "call-girls" and offer dreams of an X-rated nature to those willing to pay. (These are just some examples off the top of my head. As always things remain PG-13 in the RP itself.)

Your character can come from any sort of background you like... they can be new to the extraction business, switching career paths, etc. Bottom line is that 4-8 people have now teamed up to start a "mix bag" sort of extraction team. If the job seems feasible, profitable and interesting, they'll take it.

I have an idea for an eventual over-arching plot/conspiracy, but I'm totally open for ideas, too. I'm fine playing the NPC roles (sort of GMing for this group) but if anyone else wants to have a crack at doing that at some point, let me know and I'd be more than happy to plan that out with you. For now though, I'll assume that business associates, marks/dream targets, and random real world NPCs of importance to the plot will be under my control.

Roles in the team:

Extractor(s): Extractors are sort of the "door-kickers" of the team. They usually interact directly with the dreamer, and are the best at actually getting the information they want from said person. Often times they are the in-dream leaders and decide when to end the dream or determine what to do if things go south.

Point Men/Women and Chemist(s): Point Men are the organized ones, making sure everything is in its right place at the right time. They sometimes stay "up top" during the dreams, making sure the mark doesn't wake up mid-way, administering the proper sedatives at the right times, and ensuring their work is not interrupted by an outside person. If they accompany the team into the dream, they work with the Extractor and coordinate the “kicks” to wake everyone up at the right time. In my version they are also majorly involved in the detective work, research, planning, and brainstorming of when and how to capture their mark for the extraction. I lumped Chemists in here too since otherwise the Chemist job description is too limited.

Architect(s): What it says on the tin. Architects plan out the dream world using information given to them from the Point Men and are responsible for sustaining the dream world while everyone sleeps. As a result most architects don't do a whole lot of "heavy lifting" in the dream itself when it comes to interacting with the dreamer, leaving that for the Extractors and Forgers. Some Architects feel it's easier to host the dreams in their own minds, giving them better control over their surroundings, but it is possible for an Architect to build the needed dreamscape even if someone else is hosting.

Forger(s): Forgers work closely with the Point Men, often doing their own independent research on people who are close to the mark/dreamer in real life. Imitating the people in question requires intense concentration and the ability to play any role. Forgers work exclusively on changing their own appearance (and, if they're talented, projecting certain other "characters" into the dreamscape with them) to interact with the mark/dreamer and gain their trust.

I am completely fine with having more than one person per role. So, if you see that someone has taken the Architect position, don't despair. You two can work as a team or switch off who takes what mission.

I'm also fine with job overlap, to a degree. If the Forger is a great sweet-talker, maybe they'll be the ones to deal with the business associates (versus the Extractor). If the Architect needs more research on what dreamscape the dreamer will respond best to, they can take more responsibilities similar to the Point Man, keeping tabs on the dreamer and learning as much about him/her as they can.

For now submit one primary character, and if you want, a secondary one you'd like to play if there's room.

Name
Desired role in the team

Short description (physical and/or personality) just to get a gist. I don't need the full shebang for now--we can let that come out in RP.
Background: if you feel something should be shared that is relevant to the team (prior experience in dream-sharing/extraction, etc) feel free to put it here. But don't feel obligated. I'm totally happy to have characters who knew one another from before teaming up. We can also all be strangers, too :P
Last edited by Amarkov on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Amarkov
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Small group Inception roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Primary Character:

Riley Dumanovsky

Female
Extractor (formerly a Forger, and can still do it in a pinch if needed)

Riley is an androgynous-looking woman who keeps her hair cut short and dresses in gender-neutral business casual attire more often than not. She wears thick, black-framed glasses. Riley views herself as bigender (not identifying solely as "female" but not wanting to get a sex-change operation to be solely "male" either.) She is also bisexual, and this gender/sexuality flexibility made her a natural Forger when she first started out in the extraction business.

Background: Riley doesn't talk about it much anymore, but a series of events have made her very reluctant to Forge anymore. As a result she more frequently takes on the role of Extractor, sweet-talking or threatening the mark/dreamer while keeping her real image around her.

Secondary Character:

Markus Dumanovsky
Male
Point Man/Chemist [I'll play him too if no one else wants to be the Point Man/Chemist]

Markus is Riley's older brother and quite different from her. He went to med school but quickly switched tactics so he could be a talented Chemist for the extraction team once the opportunity came up. He is usually always in a good mood and fond of most people he meets. Sometimes he'll take over tricky PR situations with their business associates if other people get frustrated or are too busy. He will occasionally go into the dreams with them if someone else is available to run the machine up-top, but usually only accompanies the group for training purposes. He does, however, really like to see the "dry run" of the extraction plan before the group goes in, since that will help him know how to time the kicks for each of them to wake up.
Last edited by Amarkov on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Amarkov
Member for 11 years

Re: Small group Inception roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Did some cleaning up in this thread to make it a little more streamlined. I'll update this post with accepted characters and their bios.

----------------------------------

Architect: Paige Martinez [create_something]

Brief Description: Paige is a woman who sees the world in a different light and often wonders why no one can see what she can. She can be sarcastic and can sometimes be a little quirky, but always has the team's best interest at heart.

Brief History: Her previous profession was an artist, but her creativity was always limited by the requests of others. She was sick of always having to conform to the narrow minded views of others. Even though she needs to limit herself still as an architect, she's creating worlds. Worlds that she can practically live in, morphing and changing to her every whim. It doesn't get much better than that. She first started her dream weaving with creating worlds for fantasy purposes. The money was good, but when she discovered she could use the tools for extracting information, well lets just say her pocket grew exponentially.
Last edited by Amarkov on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amarkov
Member for 11 years

Re: INCEPTION Roleplay [small group]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby create_something on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:40 pm

Name: Paige Martinez

Desired Role on Team: Architect

Brief Description: Paige is a woman who sees the world in a different light and often wonders why no one can see what she can. She can be sarcastic and can sometimes be a little quirky, but always has the team's best interest at heart.

Brief History: Her previous profession was an artist, but her creativity was always limited by the requests of others. She was sick of always having to conform to the narrow minded views of others. Even though she needs to limit herself still as an architect, she's creating worlds. Worlds that she can practically live in, morphing and changing to her every whim. It doesn't get much better than that. She first started her dream weaving with creating worlds for fantasy purposes. The money was good, but when she discovered she could use the tools for extracting information, well lets just say her pocket grew exponentially.
Okay, so here's the plan. I go in, start hitting people hard in the face, see where that takes us.

create_something
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Fantastic! Character accepted. I'll add Paige to the list of characters up top.

Amarkov
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:58 am

Bumping this :)

Amarkov
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 am

Bumping again. I started the Roleplay, here:

roleplay/in-your-dreams/

If anyone is interested, you can feel free to submit a character either in this thread or in the RP itself.

Hoping for at least one more person! If you're not familiar with Inception but would otherwise want to play, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. I can bring you up to speed.

Amarkov
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Amarkov on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Per some advice from create_something, I updated the RP introduction with a quick-and-dirty rundown of how the movie universe works for any of you who are interested but don't know enough about the worldview.

inception-roleplay-t79859.html

There's also more about the over-arching plot. PM or reply to one of the threads if anyone is interested!

Amarkov
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!