Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

James Seth Lynch Presents a Fallout style story driven RP

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

James Seth Lynch Presents a Fallout style story driven RP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby James Seth Lynch on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Yeah, thats not my real name. I am here to present to you a project ive been working on for...well almost a year. You see I am a huge Fallout fan. Ive played all the games except that crappy console sell out that wont be mentioned. I know basically everything there is to know about Fallout. Everything. But there is a point to this. When I played Fallout: New Vegas there were...problems. Story wise that is. About 90% of these were focused on the DLCs. What I did was buff these plot holes and general wtf writing moments out. Most seemed to be caused by time constraints. After that I looked at other parts of the franchise going less on plot holes and more on answering questions that were left open in the story with whatever clues I could find. This eventually lead to me having a lot of rewritten content that I had to do something with so I decided to make it into a forum play by post RPG since you know thats the simplest method. That actually resulted in even more content needing to be written but lefts get off my mindless ramblings.

The Project is called Fallout: Dawn War and as said in the last paragraph is basically rewritten Fallout: New Vegas. I take a lot of artistic liberties with it but I feel that it still retains the Fallout feel. The story itself is non-linear and dynamic. That is it takes into account player choice no matter what that may be. And I need to stress that it will not feel like a rigid story ots based on plot points and how you get to point A to point B is completely up to you and infact you may not even know you are heading to that point until youve already triggered it. You can even just skip Point B and head to point C its all planned for because its largely not planned for. How am I so confident in it? Ive done it before. I made this into an RPG on my own site(which is not of consequence this one will be hosted here obviously) I never really got anywhere with it for several reasons: 1, Its on my own site(free hosting) which means no through traffic and no new members. 2. People moved on eventually and 3. Apparently saying that a doctor who lived a sheltered life and has never used a gun in her life storming an armed and armored super mutant with only a 10mm SMG would result in death means Im sexist. And apparently no one likes a sexist GM.

Those of you who do not mind a sexist GM can look forward to a multi part non-linear story in one of the richest franchises ever with a deep and flexible character creation system, several pages of resources to look through(not required to read but can be consulted when needed) and some great roleplaying fun. The system in question is called the trait system allowing you to choose between several mutation levels(analogous to race), backgrounds, and traits which apply pros and cons to your character along with post creation character progression in the form of Perks which can be chosen as your raise your various skills. We also use a soft skill system which isnt actually kept in numeral values but if enough people want it can be converted to a hard skill system.

I have released several "Teasers" for two of the story arcs. These do what they sound like they would hinting at what youd see in each story arc. These ones I have out now have been pre-written. You can expect 3 more to be released before this launches and more coming out after launch as the roleplay story progresses.

The Story Arcs:

Honest Hearts: Action, Horror(minor), Strategy.

Dead Money: Drama, Horror, Psychological

Codename: Icarus: Action, Espionage

Old World Blues: Action, Strategy, Comedy, Horror, Psychological

Lonesome Road: Action, Drama, Psychological

The Dawn War: Action, Strategy

For players new to Fallout:
The thing is you dont need to know anything about Fallout. At all. I have never made that requirement and it has never bitten me in the butt yet. I have a lot of information that can assist you and ive taken the time to explain everything thats needed to be explained with people in chat rooms but there is more to it then that. The story of Fallout was built around Vaults which are sheltered that basically protected people from the nuclear war. These communities were completely isolated for hundreds of years and thus you can just play a Vault Dweller and learn as you go its completely fine.

Whats new to Fallout: Of course their are a few additions to the Fallout IP that ive added. A couple of factions, some characters blah blah. The thing that stands out is the new take on mutations with the new Mutation Level system. In Fallout you had your extreme mutations of Ghouls and Super Mutants and then just wastelanders and Prime Normals. Slightly mutated and unmutated respectively and that just didnt jive with me. This new system adds a lot more depth and a lot more variation. We have unmutated Prime Normals, slightly mutated and sheltered Suburbanites, your run of the mill Wastelanders, and a new very highly mutated and very savage Yokai which has a very very deep story to them as they have an entire story arc dedicated to explaining them. They are very odd and some might see them as way out of the left field and lore breaking but how they work and how their mutations work solves a lot of unanswered questions about various mutants. Off the top of my head LakeLurks.

A few last things about the roleplay: I really dont care about grammar as long as its readable as you can tell from this I dont use very good grammar and post length isnt very important I would like the posts to stay as long as you can make them but I do understand there are times where its just going to be a bunch of short posts going back and forth in really interactive parts. Basically just keep things from being sloppy is my stance.

More on rules Ive always held a mentality of as long as you arent doing anything wrong I dont need to do anything. You can post, do things, find things, kill things, talk to people all on your own accord you dont have to check with me on everything you do but use common sense and consult your skills and character build and what you can and cant do. I will step in if a rule is broken or someone starts godmoding but I dont wanna micromanage as that gets in the way of people's creativity. However if you are new Ill ask that you submit me a page covering character backstory. If it doesnt pass Ill put you under probation where you will have to submit everything to me before doing something until you show that you have the hang of it but its very hard to go under the minimum and most people on here will pass.

And if you want here is the link to where I hosted the roleplay before where you can look over things and demo the character creation if you so please. Most of the resource pages were never completed but youll see why pretty quickly: http://w11.zetaboards.com/MrLynchs_RPG_ ... m/3374408/ Those resources ill try to move over here and if Im breaking some rule by posting to a dead RPG site that was admined by me and only had 1 RPG just tell me and Ill remove it.

So thank you for reading this long and probably boring post and please tell me if you wanna play. Minimum interest is 5 players before launch but I still need time to put everything together.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

James Seth Lynch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: James Seth Lynch Presents a Fallout style story driven R

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby bukkfizzman on Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Hello I am ready when you are like Greggs the bakers

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

bukkfizzman
Member for 12 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brock10 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:13 pm

I will, and I'd be interested in being an ex NCR Ranger, by the name of Solomon Temple.
"I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples, bastards and broken things"-Tyrion Lannister.

Brock10
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexilous on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:29 am

Holy fuck, I like, love you! Fallout has got to be one of, if not my favorite series of all time, and like you I am very educated on the series. I've put in literally hundreds of hours into Fallout 3 and New Vegas especially, and I really loved the story elements in New Vegas, although I did have some gripes, such as the plot holes you mentioned and the reliance on dlc to bring the story full-circle. Particularly, I loved the characters of Joshua Graham, and Ulysses, and, although their story arcs do have some flaws, I think they're just swell! :D

Anyway, I would LOVE to be part of this!

Vexilous
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Well this is definitely getting enough interest id say. Ill start putting everything together as soon as I can tear myself away from FTL and The Witcher.

@Brock10

If you follow the link in the last paragraph youll go to my own(and dead and wont be used anymore) forum where you can demo the character creation. :P NCR Ranger is one the many many Starts as you dont just hope into the world willy nilly.

@Vexilous

Why thank you :P Funny you mention Ullysses you see Lonesome Road was actually completely and utterly rewritten as in I just scraped the entire thing. Also see how far you can get in my character guessing game. PM me with your answers and yes these are all characters youll meet in the RP.

???????? ???????? ?? ??????
"We need to work with them. That's the only way any of us are going to survive."
Affiliation: ????? ??
Mutation Level: H1
Traits: Team Player, Court Tactician, Far sighted, Fast Metabolism, Good Natured
Perks: Energetics Education
Appearance: ?????? ??????

?????? ??????
"I have been baptized twice, once in water, once in flame. I will carry the fire of the holy spirit inside until I stand before my Lord for judgment."
Affiliation: ??? ??????????
Mutation Level: H4(Yokai)
Traits: Rabid, Made of Scars, B. A. M. F., Good Natured, Veteran, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Perks: Way of the Canaanite
Appearance: ?????? ??????

????????? ?????
"Love makes people do strange things. Won't argue with that. It can drive you crazy sometimes if you can't... connect."
Affiliation: ?????? ?? ?????
Mutation Level: H1(Prime Normal)
Traits: Mute, Tech Wizard, Veteran, Claustrophobia, Rubber Jointed, Made of Scars, Sex Appeal, Small Frame
Perks: N/A
Appearance: ???? ?????

??????
"Do this, I'll let you go... I'll let all of you go."
Affiliation: ???????
Mutation Level: H1(Prime Normal)
Traits: Megalomania, Cancerous growth, Near Sighted, Tech Wizard, Fast Metabolism, Ivory Tower Resident, Good Natured, Red Scar.

???? ??????
"Get up without my permission, I'll blast your ass so far through your head, it'll turn the moon cherry pie red."
Mutation Level: G(Ghoul)
Traits: Dead Man Walking, Good Natured, Night Person, Megalomania, Court Tactician, Pick Pocket.
Perks: Unclean Living

???
"The world's always got another cage, waiting, keeping everything you want... just out of reach."
"Master, where is master? Did he go away? Dog will be good this time."

Affiliation: ??????
Mutation Level: SN(Nightkin)
Traits: Nuclear Hound, Made of Scars, Ham Fisted, Night Stalker, Addictive personality, Co-Dependant.
Perks: Ravenous Hunger

????-????-????
"You are just as much a mindless puppet as everything else that came out of that lab."
Affiliation: ??? ?????
Traits: Cyborg Full, Sex Appeal, Tech Wizard, Small Frame, Team Player, Dead Hand, Rabid, Sniper, Good Natured.
Perks: Calibration, Engineering Mastery, Science Mastery.
Appearance: ??? ????? ?????

????????
"The day I set my flag down, it'll be over my body or over a nation I believe in."
Traits: Rabid, Courier, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Loner, Veteran.
Appearance: ???????? ????

James Seth Lynch
Member for 12 years

Some news: Ive been rather busy lately this month and seem to have caught the Flu. This will be a bit of a delay for the roleplay but I should be able to get back to work next week. And Im sure you are all very busy with Christmas and New Years anyway.

James Seth Lynch
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexilous on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon! I'll pm you my answers soon, I'm stuck on a couple, and I don't want to cheat xD

Vexilous
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lenyx on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:32 am

*leaves note that she is interested*

Lenyx
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Lenyx wrote:*leaves note that she is interested*

My God your profile picture is cute...and why do all the people who are the most excited all like Final Fantasy? WHY? Anyway doesnt matter. Remember that you can always make your character before we launch as Im not quite done with the ground work yet. That should probably take another week.

And some general news: The next Teaser is currently in the works! Prepare for the horror that is Old World Blues.

James Seth Lynch
Member for 12 years

James Seth Lynch
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!