Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A Line in the Snow- OOC

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

A Line in the Snow- OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:39 am

((Going to get a new fantasy RP up...))

The setting is Brumfost, a recently discovered island far in the northern reaches of the world. It is a desolate place, with a few lonely mountains, oversized and treacherous hills more than anything, and vast stretches of desolate grasses and forsaken pine forests. For the past few years, the three races of the world have been forging out their place in this treacherous land with little conflict. Since its discovery, the colonists have all discovered that they must work together to survive and overcome the natural obstacles.

There are three races: The Humans, the Dwarves, and the Goblins. Let's take a look at their physical characteristics, and philosophies on life one by one.

The Humans are a resilient, community-minded folk. They ta)ke whatever life and nature throws at them, and fight it through hard work and perseverance by group effort. They're not a warfaring people, but to protect themselves from other aggressors, they are known to wall themselves in and be rather xenophobic when dealing with those not known to their community. As such, their positions of office and importance are filled by those who are most popular in the community.
Their towns on Brumfost are: Tierso, a small port with the one and only stone fortress made by the colonists on the whole island. Lannen, a small mining town near the foot of the Lonely Mountains.
Naming: ((If you're going to name your character, think names along the lines of Irish, English, Welsh, or French. Or even a mixture!))

The Dwarves are tough, stout, hard-drinking, and no-nonsense. Dwarves don't believe in favors, or mercy, or any other things that get in the way of the most important thing- doing something right. The Dwarven people, from their mighty kings down to the lowest peasant, all have a strong sense of justice, and duty and righteousness. Dwarven cowards and criminals are rare, and fewer because almost none survive the ruthless sense of Dwarven Justice. Dwarven society is hard, and those who don't do the job right are quickly outcast. The Dwarves also greatly admire those who have skill in their chosen profession. Their government is based on merit, not on particular skill in politicking.
Physical attributes: Dwarves are short, but their muscular growth is very compact, making them just as strong as Humans, just a bit stockier in build. They live longer than Humans, sometimes reaching even a hundred thirty years. Dwarven warriors often tattoo their skins with symbolic runes, and grow and braid their hair and beard long. Dwarven skin can range from an almost iron-gray to a bright bronze.
Naming: ((Think like Germanic names, with a bit of Irish. Harsh, but with a common flair to it, making it easy on the tongue to speak.))
They have but one town on Brumfost, and that is Hairgelarkent, a small fortress suggled in the Lonely Mountains.

And lastly, the Goblins. No one likes a Goblin except for Goblins, and that's only Goblin men about Goblin women. Goblins are relentless, ruthless, and without a strong sense of ethics. However, Goblins still honor one thing, and that's that the stronger Goblin is the better Goblin. This is the central of the Goblin society, and it has led to many civil wars and murders. In fact, a Goblin stronghold is probably more dangerous within than it does when posing a threat to those without. Goblins rarely unite without some outside threat to compel them together. Otherwise, they are at each others throats unless an exceptionally strong Goblin can pull them together. Goblins respect a man with a strong personality to keep his group together, and a strong arm to back his words up. Nonetheless, Goblin society is just as strong as Dwarven or Human, since their drive on better strength has led them from their former warlike ways to the ways of trading and economics.
Physical attributes: Goblins are smaller on average than Humans, usually barely going over five and a half feet. They are sinewy, and their features are twisted and gnarled, and ugly. Even Goblin women are barely feminine, but Goblin men all, without exception, absolutely adore Goblin women, even though to Human eyes they are no less ugly. Goblin skin ranges from a sickly yellowish-green to a dark and deep green. Their eyes are generally yellow and bloodshot. Goblins naturally live as long as Humans, but they generally die from unnatural causes before it can be reached.
Naming: ((Think very harsh names stemming from Germanic, Arabic and Russian.))
As well, they have one town on Brumfost, and that is farther north than any of the other towns, in the Stronghold Jgorketn.

We'll play a mercenary group (and that's being generous) led by my character, Argontel, a shrewd Goblin who has accepted a job by a group of archaeologists and scholars who wish to explore some recently uncovered ruins. Of course, this is just the start of it *wink wink*

Character sheets
Name: (Check the naming advice given below each race.)
Race: (Human, Dwarf, or Goblin.)
Description: (How strong is he? Does he have gray eyes? What sort of armor or clothes does he generally wear?)
Morality: (There are two choices for each two options. They are: Pragmatic and Unwavering for his ability to stay within his chosen moral values. And then, Righteous or Selfish. Righteous in that he is self-sacrificing, and Selfish in that he's always willing to stoop a little lower and filch something extra at someone else's expense.)
Background: (I hope this will be mostly elaborated within the RP through conversation.)

My character sheet:

Name: Argontel
Race: Goblin
Description: Argontel is as ugly as any Goblin, but he has a surprisingly sonorous voice and articulated tongue. He has dark green skin, which contrast his large yellow eyes. On top of his head rests a mat of wild, greasy black hair. He is stronger than most Goblins, and uses wits and cunning more than strength to his advantage. He has a shortsword on his belt, a crossbow on his back and a spear he uses more as a walking stick than anything else in his hand. As well, there are daggers hidden away in a few parts of his body. Beneath his hide cloak, made from the furs of rabbits, wolves and bears, he wears simple wool clothing. As well, he wears a normal wool cloak which has a hood, and most of his face is hidden by the scarf that keeps his face warm.
Morality: Pragmatic Righteous. Argontel believes that the best way to get something done is to get a bunch of people to do it for you, and if their life is in danger... Well, that's their problem! But who will do his work when they're injured? So, nonetheless, Argontel will rescue them, and then tell them to never get in trouble again.
Background: Argontel was born the youngest of seven sons, and was always the runt of the pack of his family. When he was twelve, he left his family and went alone into the streets of Gargathor, the largest Goblin stronghold in the world. He emerged a man, and surprisingly well-learned, and decided that the new frontier showed by Bromfost was a good place as any to leave behind his name and start a new life, free from crime.

((I will be accepted or declining character sheets. If you're unsure about your character, shoot me a PM.))

A couple of rules and just general things to know.
1. I hold veto power. I'm going to give the players a lot of freedom, but any abuse of it and I will veto you.
2. Your character can die, but it'll be more of a punishment for stupidity than anything else. I'll make it pretty obvious when doing something is fatal. (For example, some foolish Human rushes right into the dragon's lair and wakes it up when we're trying to sneak past because he thinks all dragons are evil and must die. No that there are any dragons in this RP, but it's an example to show that that Human will die.)
3. I expect at least decent grammar and spelling. Mistakes are okay.
4. Be a conversationalist. This RP is going to focus more on talking and banter than action during the scenes without fighting. Playing a moody loner Human with a dark and troubled past is fine, but it won't really fit in the RP and it'll be awkward for you to do.
5. It's the north. It's cold. It's freezing. It's snowing. Not even an inuit is going to act like she's doing okay. This is miserable weather, and an inhospitable place.
6. You don't need to be a good-two shoes, and you don't have to be an evil, sniveling backstabber to have morality. Grays areas are good.
'When you're finally in my arms, look up and see..
Love Has A Face'

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: A Line in the Snow- OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 am

Name: Ailin
Race: Human
Description: Ailin is rather handsome. He has bright blonde hair and emerald eyes. He dresses in leather armor and wields a longsword and a longbow and arrows strapped to his back. He also has a dagger or two.
Morality: Pragmatic Righteous. While Ailin was raised to be a moral person and just in dealing with people, he's not one to put a lot of effort in righting every wrong and he is a bit far from pure.
Background: Ailin is an exiled noble. His one weakness is women and he fell for a rather nasty, but beautiful woman. She exposed their relationship to scandalize him for her own gain. Ailin left his town, hoping to become popular again by being an explorer and thus regain his rank.
Last edited by almostinsane on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

almostinsane
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macceh on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 am

Name: Byden
Race: Dwarf
Description: Just above average height for a dwarf he is not the strongest of his race though by no means a pushover in a fight but more often than not it's his quick thinking and cunning which wins the fight for him rather than all out strength. His light grey skin is weatherbeaten and dotted with more than a few scars from where his quick thinking wasn't quite quick enough, the most noticeable of which runs from his nose, under his left eye and down his cheek. His eyes are bluey-grey and his hair is the colour of slate and both his hair and beard are braided in a simple fashion. He has only a few tattoos, one the rune for luck in blue above his right eye and a string of runes in black across his back to offer protection against the elements and other dangers. His clothing is all in stoney greys and whites and made mainly of furs and thick wools. He does wear a shirt of chainmail though not openly and normally carries a large axe called Cleerran (Stoneringer) upon his back, two smaller throwing axes at his sides and a pair of daggers for emergencies one up his right sleeve the other in his left boot.
Morality: Pragmatic Righteous. Though Byden has the same strong sense of justice as the rest of his race though he doesn't go out of his way to deal out justice. Byden can hold a grudge for a very long time and is not really someone you want as your enemy. Though quiet when angry, Byden is most of the time reasonably talkative with a slightly cynical outlook on life and quite a dark sense of humour. Not one to care whether people like him or not he does however hate seeing people doing stupid things and if he sees someone about to do something stupid he will warn them and if they choose to ignore his warning well that's their problem.
Background: Byden never seems to quite comfortable around other Dwarves and it's best not to ask him why, the current best guess is that his mother or father was outcast from Dwarven society when he was young and that Byden could never quite forgive his people for it. Apart from his parents Byden is happy enough, when people ask, to talk about his childhood growing up in a mining village up in the mountains. At the age of twenty, he left his village home in the mountains and started selling his skills with an axe and his knowledge of rocks and mining to the person with the most gold. It is also known that Byden has a younger half-sister who still lives in the village they grew up in and whom he is quite fond of.

This is my first time roleplaying on this site and its been a while since I roleplayed anywhere so I'll do my best to follow your lead but any constructive criticism about my roleplaying would be greatly appreciated. Also, just so you know; I'm going away for the weekend and probably won't be online again until Monday. Oh, and I hope the name is alright; I always have trouble coming up with names.

Macceh
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:05 am

Both accepted

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xlugon Pyro on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:51 am

I'm reservin' a spot.

Name: Xogg'om the "Pissed-On", the "Pissed One", or "Piss"
Description: Well, he's called Piss or the Pissed-On for a reason. His skin is a sickly yellowish green, resembling the color of urine very well. His eyes, however, are not the typical color of a goblin's. While his eyes of course are bloodshot, they are black, giving off a very ominous and terrifying appearance. Piss' hair is what's even more crazy. His hair... is blue. A slimy, spiky, savage, cerulean blue. It is also long and thick, extending partially over the top of his face and even longer to his shoulders, covering his long, pointed, gnarled ears. However in the back, his hair appears to be chopped off, as it is short in the back. His face has tribal tattoos on it also, red and resembling fire or lightning due to the jagged, zig-zag shape covering mostly his cheeks and ending at the bottom of his eyes. According to goblin standards, goblin women may find him cute, if he weren't so shy and socially awkward.
Piss is fairly well muscled due to his profession, often involving killing or hunting. However, he is more agile and smart than he is strong. Though he can be mentally slow, he always has good ideas and can figure out complex things in due time. Along with his fighting skills with axes, including a great war axe, two battle axes, and throwing axes, he also uses natural magic, usually combined with the use of his weapons. However, by no means is he a spell caster, but more of a hybrid. He also fights with a tamed wooly dragon boar, a large, carnivorous creature that resembles a boar but is larger, has paws with retractable claws, has a larger tail, has a lot more fur, and the head is more dragon-like in appearance. This particular dragon boar is named Ssig'umb, has white fur with gray, shades of blue, and black marks across it's fur.
Morality: Pragmatic Righteous
Background: To be completed...

If you want me to change my character, I will, but for now I want to try this. This'll be done soon.

Xlugon Pyro
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:16 pm

Accepted,

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jewelcast on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Name: Chii'riz (Chii for short)
Description: Chii looks rather weedy, and gets out of breath easily in situations requiring endurance, such as running long distances or extended melee combat, earning him the contempt of many other goblins. However, he is a talented archer, and thus has strong, if wiry, arms, and is a fast sprinter. His mind is also quick and agile, and he doesn't hesitate to use whatever means neccessary to ensure his survival, being perfectly capable of switching in an instant from bragging to grovelling. His skin is a dark, muddy green, and he tends to wear clothes of similar hues, or whatever matches his environment. He always carries at least two hidden knives, a pair of long-knives being his favourite weapons when he cannot use his bow. His primary weapon is a longbow (although of suitable size for a goblin), which he carries at all times, along with plenty of arrows.
Morality: Pragmatic Selfish. Chii is self-serving in the extreme, but is definitely smart enough to realise that he should temper his behaviour amongst others, even taking actions that are risky in the short-term in order to cultivate beneficial long-term alliances.
Background: Born as the son of a bandit, morals were never really part of his life. When the bandits were scattered (mostly slain) by a group of dwarves (Chii had suspected all along that that particular attack was a bad idea), Chii didn't waste time in mourning. He took to the road, took up a couple of jobs here and there, leaving him with a few unusual skills, and eventually found himself drawn to life as a mercenary.
Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elghinn dal lil alust.

Jewelcast
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Why is everyone chosing goblin as a race? So far, everyone but Macceh is a goblin! xD. Oh well, accepted.

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xlugon Pyro on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:03 pm

NightyKnight wrote:Why is everyone chosing goblin as a race? So far, everyone but Macceh is a goblin! xD. Oh well, accepted.

I could change my char to a female if it expands on the diversity. :P

Xlugon Pyro
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NightyKnight on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:07 pm

No, you're fine, just thought I'd point that out. xD

NightyKnight
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Macceh on Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:46 am

NightyKnight wrote:Why is everyone chosing goblin as a race? So far, everyone but Macceh is a goblin! xD. Oh well, accepted.

I like being different! :D

Macceh
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!