Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Looking for a Fellow Writer!

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Looking for a Fellow Writer!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Coma on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Hey there, Coma here!

Though recently just joining the guild, I might as well get my feet wet and send out a cold call out there to folks! I'm looking for a partner or two to write a story with me. What that could be? Honestly anything. To make the process I little bit more refined rather than vague, here's a list of ideas I have on hand. I don't really have plots for any of them yet, so please be open to brainstorm!

Post Apocalypse

I'd really like to stray away from the generic and come up with something novel. Examples? Well, here's a list:

Climate shifting of the Earth due to extreme cold or a build up of CO2 gas rendering locations uninhabitable.

A meteor storm devastates the Earth as whole continents are swept up in an ever raging dust storm. Continents have changed and shifted years after the impact, and natural selection has left only the adaptable and strongest.

Slice of Life

This genre is my bread and butter. A category I excel at! Quite frankly, I can entertain most pairings/scenarios for SoL's. But, to be fair, I shall give examples as I did above:

Doctor x (any)
Athlete x (any)
Musician x (any)
Soldier x (any)

The list really just goes on. Feel free to suggest anything. Really!

Established Universes

While I'm typically tentative to do these, here are a few settings I'd be fine with doing. I prefer original character however. Ask if you want a canon; I'll let you know if I can or can't write the character.

Revolution
Falling Skies
Lost
Dragon Age
Mass Effect
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Almost Human

Expectations

1. I favor in depth story lines. Allow me to explain. I care more so for quality of a post versus that of length.

2. Help with the plot. If you want to take the story one way, go for it. I'd be happy to accommodate the unexpected and adapt. In short, creativity is golden and welcomed here.

3. Do not, for the love of all that's good and holy, disappear without telling me. Hate writing with me? Cursing the effort in writing a post? Tell me. I can take it. Promise.

4. Be open to managing a host of side characters. To fully immerse ourselves into the following stories, side characters will have to be used, and I don't want to be the only one controlling them.

5. Be diligent with your grammar and language. I'm not an grammar nazi, for I make mistakes as well; however, the more proofread a post, the easier and more fun it is to read.

What you can expect from me:

1. I will give you my undying attention. I typically reciprocate what I'm given.

2. If I have to be absent for more than a week, I will let you know. Being left in the dark for a roleplay is never a fun experience. At the same time, please be mindful that I'm a university student and may not be on everyday.

3. I like romance in roleplays. Generally, I enjoy and do lesbian relationships. However, if you're not okay with that, talk to me, and we'll go from there. May I also add that I hate shallow and smut oriented romance. Organic relationships is a must with me. If you're looking for a quick fix of sex, then I'm definitely not the partner for you.

4. If you hate chatty partners, then I may not be for you. I love OoC chat. It builds a relationship for us writers and is integral for brainstorming. Soo ... being a somewhat social bee is kind of a must with me.

Phew! With all that out of the way, I look forward to hearing from people. I hope I didn't scare anyone away. I'm really not as mean as I may sound. Anyway, hope to see you folks around!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Coma
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Looking for a Fellow Writer!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quakernuts on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Well then, I feel like I should stride in with all the grace and showmanship of a floundering peacock. To be honest, I don't really know why aside from the fact that it would most likely be incredibly entertaining for all parties involved.

Hey there Coma! Name's Quaker! Nice to meet ya!

I like the cut of your jib there, and as such I feel like I should introduce myself a bit before continuing on towards the business of creating worlds, stories, and fantastic things in the name of Science! Or was it writing? I can't remember...On to the good stuff!

Like I stated, the name's Quaker, although any nickname you can come up with will just about do. I've been roleplaying (Almost exclusively as a Play-by-post style) for roughly 6 years, give or take a few months. I generally like to consider myself literate in that regards although I don't consider myself 'the best' by any stretch of the imagination. There's always a way for you to improve, and always someone out there better than you. Personally, if you met anyone that knows me, I'm a bit of a loose cannon in terms of personality, actions, and characters that I create. I tend to joke just about everything, in and out of character, so if I ever offend you with something I write or say all you need to do is say and I will mentally catalog it as 'taboo'. Now, in regards to the topics that you have chosen:

Post Apocalyptic
I'm always up for something that has to do with the end of the world because it opens up avenues towards the human psyche and what we as a species do when we're pushed up against a wall. The interactions between characters, the degradation of society and generally all the different scenarios one can come up with are all very interesting to me and to write. I like the idea that you want to get away from the standard Post-Apoc idea, where instead of zombies we have massive dust clouds. Or where mutants would run rampant we simply have hastily constructed social structures of people trying to ride out the aftermath of a climate change. To be perfectly honest I've been getting tired of the zombie genre as a whole, and to see someone who wants to do a roleplay in this regard without relying upon the whole 'Gonna eat yo brains!' thing is refreshing. I'd be willing to hammer something out here in regards to this, as world building is something I like to do even when it never amounts to anything. (Mainly cause I start to flounder in the story aspect.)

Slice of Life:

I realize this is where you said you're most comfortable, and unfortunately it's...not so much the opposite as it is fairly boring to me without some sort of stigma attached to it. If we're talking just regular life with regular people doing regular things, then I'm afraid I wouldn't be too interested because I could just walk out the door and do the same thing in real life. I'm more about the fantastical element when it comes to writing, things that could never possibly happen in real life or, at the very least, options that are not even remotely open to me happening within the story. (For example, a FBI agent or something akin to that investigating a high profile murder.) I would be willing to do this if we were able to add something to it that would make it more approachable from this point of view. (Super powers, different world, etc etc etc.)

Established Universes:

Well naturally we all have at least one universe we would like to mess around in, so you could say I'm firmly in this camp. Out of the ones you have selected, I'm most familiar with Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I agree with you that I like original characters as well as opposed to canon, as that seems to limit creativity and, at it's worse, anger a possible fan base cause you're doing it 'wrong'. I'd be open to a number of these options, even ones I'm not too familiar with so long as I can get to understanding the world and general story line.

Well those are my opinions on your suggested topics, and of course I'm always up for discussing plot lines, setting, characters and the like as well. It's a good thing you stated you're adaptable since a lot of my story lines for characters comes from a split second thought in the middle of a post that somehow ends up going the length of the RP. In regards to romance in roleplay, I tend to like the romantic tension than the actual relationship itself MOST of the time, but I'm totally open to it. In terms of side characters...Let me just say that in an old RP of mine (A Mass Effect one coincidentally), I ran a ship with about 10 named side characters all with personalities and places in the story...so I don't think that should be a problem for me.

I believe I have hit most of the points in regards to your post and I apologize for the length of this response. I tend to just...go when it comes to writing and I just let it flow. I also think this is the most serious I've ever been in one go without some sort of joke about clowns and apple sauce or something along those lines.

ANYWHO!

Look forward to your response and the likes!
Writing is a tool used to convey an author's passion and imagination, use it to the best of your ability.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Quakernuts
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist World Builder Inspiration Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Awesome on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:47 pm

*Reads*
"I'd really like to stray away from the generic and come up with something novel."
"A meteor storm devastates the Earth as whole continents are swept up in an ever raging dust storm. Continents have changed and shifted years after the impact, and natural selection has left only the adaptable and strongest."
...*Ever so slowly lifts link into sight*: badaw-t92677.html

Actually, it takes place a good 6-10 generations after the survivors so they're not as strong but it's still based mainly on survivability for the nomads outside of the few bits of civilization. Lots of sand; lots of dust; even a few dust storms. :P
The main difference is it's mainly about dealing with other humans (bandits are a common sight) and other stories for any characters made.
Yyyyyeeeaaaaaah right, snake!

Captain Awesome
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Coma on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Quakernuts wrote:Well then, I feel like I should stride in with all the grace and showmanship of a floundering peacock. To be honest, I don't really know why aside from the fact that it would most likely be incredibly entertaining for all parties involved.

Hey there Coma! Name's Quaker! Nice to meet ya!

I like the cut of your jib there, and as such I feel like I should introduce myself a bit before continuing on towards the business of creating worlds, stories, and fantastic things in the name of Science! Or was it writing? I can't remember...On to the good stuff!

Like I stated, the name's Quaker, although any nickname you can come up with will just about do. I've been roleplaying (Almost exclusively as a Play-by-post style) for roughly 6 years, give or take a few months. I generally like to consider myself literate in that regards although I don't consider myself 'the best' by any stretch of the imagination. There's always a way for you to improve, and always someone out there better than you. Personally, if you met anyone that knows me, I'm a bit of a loose cannon in terms of personality, actions, and characters that I create. I tend to joke just about everything, in and out of character, so if I ever offend you with something I write or say all you need to do is say and I will mentally catalog it as 'taboo'. Now, in regards to the topics that you have chosen:

Post Apocalyptic
I'm always up for something that has to do with the end of the world because it opens up avenues towards the human psyche and what we as a species do when we're pushed up against a wall. The interactions between characters, the degradation of society and generally all the different scenarios one can come up with are all very interesting to me and to write. I like the idea that you want to get away from the standard Post-Apoc idea, where instead of zombies we have massive dust clouds. Or where mutants would run rampant we simply have hastily constructed social structures of people trying to ride out the aftermath of a climate change. To be perfectly honest I've been getting tired of the zombie genre as a whole, and to see someone who wants to do a roleplay in this regard without relying upon the whole 'Gonna eat yo brains!' thing is refreshing. I'd be willing to hammer something out here in regards to this, as world building is something I like to do even when it never amounts to anything. (Mainly cause I start to flounder in the story aspect.)

Slice of Life:

I realize this is where you said you're most comfortable, and unfortunately it's...not so much the opposite as it is fairly boring to me without some sort of stigma attached to it. If we're talking just regular life with regular people doing regular things, then I'm afraid I wouldn't be too interested because I could just walk out the door and do the same thing in real life. I'm more about the fantastical element when it comes to writing, things that could never possibly happen in real life or, at the very least, options that are not even remotely open to me happening within the story. (For example, a FBI agent or something akin to that investigating a high profile murder.) I would be willing to do this if we were able to add something to it that would make it more approachable from this point of view. (Super powers, different world, etc etc etc.)

Established Universes:

Well naturally we all have at least one universe we would like to mess around in, so you could say I'm firmly in this camp. Out of the ones you have selected, I'm most familiar with Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I agree with you that I like original characters as well as opposed to canon, as that seems to limit creativity and, at it's worse, anger a possible fan base cause you're doing it 'wrong'. I'd be open to a number of these options, even ones I'm not too familiar with so long as I can get to understanding the world and general story line.

Well those are my opinions on your suggested topics, and of course I'm always up for discussing plot lines, setting, characters and the like as well. It's a good thing you stated you're adaptable since a lot of my story lines for characters comes from a split second thought in the middle of a post that somehow ends up going the length of the RP. In regards to romance in roleplay, I tend to like the romantic tension than the actual relationship itself MOST of the time, but I'm totally open to it. In terms of side characters...Let me just say that in an old RP of mine (A Mass Effect one coincidentally), I ran a ship with about 10 named side characters all with personalities and places in the story...so I don't think that should be a problem for me.

I believe I have hit most of the points in regards to your post and I apologize for the length of this response. I tend to just...go when it comes to writing and I just let it flow. I also think this is the most serious I've ever been in one go without some sort of joke about clowns and apple sauce or something along those lines.

ANYWHO!

Look forward to your response and the likes!

If I ever saw someone do that, I'd totally give them a high five and become insta-friends with them! Peacocking, though not a word, is simply awesome.

Well, nice to meet you as well Quaker! As you could probably tell, I'm Coma! I appreciate the occasional loose cannon and such, so no worries there whatsoever. As for offending me, don't even worry about that - except if you're outright rude, which I highly doubt you are. (Benefit of the doubt here!) I don't consider myself the best as well! There's always something new that reveals itself when I write with folks! So, this shall be a bit of discovery for the both of us!

Well, from what I've read so far, you seem to have a pretty big affinity for the post-apocalyptic genre! Would you like to take this into PM for world building or simply make a thread? I'm fine with either though I do enjoy the concept of the threads and their tab features. Really good for organizing and such!

Also, just wanted to clarify. With most of my slices of life, I always add an interesting twist into each and every one of them! So, to build off your example, FBI looking for a prolific psychopath, plotting of overtaking a form of government, Revolutionary War period and its spy ring. Anything at all to be honest!

Terribly sorry that this response wasn't as long as yours. I fear I'd be writing filler instead of anything with substance :(!

Anyway, if you're still interested, let me know!

Captain Awesome wrote:*Reads*
"I'd really like to stray away from the generic and come up with something novel."
"A meteor storm devastates the Earth as whole continents are swept up in an ever raging dust storm. Continents have changed and shifted years after the impact, and natural selection has left only the adaptable and strongest."
...*Ever so slowly lifts link into sight*: badaw-t92677.html

Actually, it takes place a good 6-10 generations after the survivors so they're not as strong but it's still based mainly on survivability for the nomads outside of the few bits of civilization. Lots of sand; lots of dust; even a few dust storms. :P
The main difference is it's mainly about dealing with other humans (bandits are a common sight) and other stories for any characters made.

Oh it seems a story has already been made with that example! Sorry Captain Awesome, I truly didn't know about your story until you posted the link. Totally was not trying to steal ideas or anything.

Coma
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Captain Awesome on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 pm

No, I didn't think you were stealing it or anything. The fact that nobody commented on my idea for the RP at all made sure to completely prove your claim even before you even said anything! Hahaha-! :D *Slowly begins to cry* ;-;
But anyway, I was just saw how close your idea was to mine and saw the perfect chance to mention it. When I make it, I'll be sure to message you the link!

P.S.,
Quakernuts has already confirmed he doesn't have an up-tight sense of humor.
...Your nickname shall be 'Nuts.' >:D

Captain Awesome
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Coma on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:No, I didn't think you were stealing it or anything. The fact that nobody commented on my idea for the RP at all made sure to completely prove your claim even before you even said anything! Hahaha-! :D *Slowly begins to cry* ;-;
But anyway, I was just saw how close your idea was to mine and saw the perfect chance to mention it. When I make it, I'll be sure to message you the link!

P.S.,
Quakernuts has already confirmed he doesn't have an up-tight sense of humor.
...Your nickname shall be 'Nuts.' >:D

Oh gotcha! Totally embarrassing misunderstanding just occurred ladies and gentlemen ^^! But please let me know if you do make something like that! It'd be really interesting to write in - the setting that is!

Ha! Nuts xD!

Coma
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby EmbracingAshes on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:45 pm

Hey! I'm pretty new here, too, though I roleplayed for 2-3 years. I've taken a few years off to work on school, but I miss writing and want to wet my feet again. I'm really interested in the preferences you posted - I enjoy fantasy/established universe myself, and have also worked in slice of life (maybe with a bit of fantasy to it as well). I'm also a Dragon Age fan, so seeing that makes me think we'd write well together. (I also don't enjoy playing canon characters - I like original pairings with some established universe to support them. I'd also be open to a universe we build.)

I'm fairly open in terms of ideas, too, which can actually make it harder to plan! If original characters in a fantasy-esque universe doesn't appeal to you, Slice of Life would be really fun. I always prefer a small spark of something interesting or fun in my roleplays - not necessarily supernatural, but things like having a story take place in a semi-exotic location (at least exotic to me! I was an amateur European art historian in college and really dig stories set in Europe). I also see that F/F romance is something you lean towards, and I'm completely down for that.

Oh, and for the record, I love making side characters! Almost too much :) I once made a family tree alone with 120 characters, 70 of which were (at least) named by me, and 12 of which I played on a regular basis, with multiple timelines and future versions... That was a little much, though. I prefer to play female characters, and want to stick to that for at least a little while, until I'm more comfortable writing again. I tend to write 3-5 paragraphs per post, but I'm always happy to match what I'm given.

I think we'd make great RP Partners, but I feel like I may not have provided you enough stuff about me. If you have any questions, ask away!

EmbracingAshes
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Coma on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:38 am

EmbracingAshes wrote:Hey! I'm pretty new here, too, though I roleplayed for 2-3 years. I've taken a few years off to work on school, but I miss writing and want to wet my feet again. I'm really interested in the preferences you posted - I enjoy fantasy/established universe myself, and have also worked in slice of life (maybe with a bit of fantasy to it as well). I'm also a Dragon Age fan, so seeing that makes me think we'd write well together. (I also don't enjoy playing canon characters - I like original pairings with some established universe to support them. I'd also be open to a universe we build.)

I'm fairly open in terms of ideas, too, which can actually make it harder to plan! If original characters in a fantasy-esque universe doesn't appeal to you, Slice of Life would be really fun. I always prefer a small spark of something interesting or fun in my roleplays - not necessarily supernatural, but things like having a story take place in a semi-exotic location (at least exotic to me! I was an amateur European art historian in college and really dig stories set in Europe). I also see that F/F romance is something you lean towards, and I'm completely down for that.

Oh, and for the record, I love making side characters! Almost too much :) I once made a family tree alone with 120 characters, 70 of which were (at least) named by me, and 12 of which I played on a regular basis, with multiple timelines and future versions... That was a little much, though. I prefer to play female characters, and want to stick to that for at least a little while, until I'm more comfortable writing again. I tend to write 3-5 paragraphs per post, but I'm always happy to match what I'm given.

I think we'd make great RP Partners, but I feel like I may not have provided you enough stuff about me. If you have any questions, ask away!

Why hi there!

While I tend to stay away from fandoms, I might just have a pretty fun idea for Dragon Age, if you're into the lore of the Tevinter Imperium and are okay with a post-DA2 setting. So, the Templar-Mage war is already underway and such. Otherwise, I can definitely entertain fantasy or slice of life! (Slice of life is my bread and butter <3)

PM me? We can brainstorm/exchange ideas there?

Can't wait to start scheming and plotting with ya!

Coma
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby EmbracingAshes on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Excellent! I don't know a lot about the Tevinter Imperium but I'd be totally down to learn. And as you said, other stuff is an option, too. I haven't done a lot of Slice of Life roleplays, and I'd be curious to try. Maybe we could do two? Let's see where the plots take us!

I actually can't PM you; I don't have enough posts! haha. I need like... seven more after this to be able to send stuff. That's what I get for being new I guess! Ideas for how to communicate without PMs?

EmbracingAshes
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Coma on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:48 pm

Oh I don't know too much about the Tevinter Imperium myself! Wikia is my sensei at this point! And I'm totally open to a slice of life as well! I think we need to talk, so we can narrow down our ideas and choose one! I typically like to do one storyline with one person. It allows me to keep the content prime, for the lack of a better word ^^"

Coma
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby EmbracingAshes on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:53 pm

Yay, I got enough posts to PM :)

You read my mind, I just found this tool! yay for collaboration! Now to get on with the plots and stop spamming this thread :)

EmbracingAshes
Member for 11 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!