Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Looking for long lasting role play

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Looking for long lasting role play

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm looking for Role-Play partners that wont quit mid RP and are able to log on and post at least a paragraph every other day at the longest. I know a lot of people can are not able to log on every day, but my policy has always been that if your offline for more than three days you'll get skipped in the line up. It's nothing personal but the longer an rp goes waiting on one person the greater chance others will get bored and quit. That being said I have a few plots i'd like to throw out there.

Plot 1: A Post-Apocalyptic survival RP. The world was hit by a massive outbreak turning people into monsters (zombies or what have you) and most of the world was overrun or destroyed. A few human settlements remain in the form of quarantined cities or towns. This RP will focus on a small group of people trying to find a safe place in the world. Scavenging for food, fighting off monsters and bandits, and keeping their sanity are all day to day struggles for them.

Plot 2: A Science-Fiction space RP. There are actually multiple versions of this plot that I have been toying with. I like the idea of just free range space exploring, but I believe it leaves far to much freedom to get a steady plot going. I am up for it however, because I know we would be able to work something out. So I have a few things to ask when it comes to this plot.

1. Is space travel slow and time consuming or faster than light?
2. Is the environment gritty and dirty like seen in the first Alien films or clean and glistening like Star Trek?
3. Are humans alone in the universe? If not are we on good terms with the aliens?
4. What sort of social structure governs the known universe and are there more than one governing bodies?

There are a hundred more questions to ask, but these can give the basic outlook of the RP. Please list your ideas in your comments it will help the creation of the world greatly.

Plot 3: A Medieval High-Fantasy RP. I'm sure i'm not the only one that has gotten hooked on Middle-Earth or Westros, that's why I would love to do a fantasy RP. The plot in thinking of will have more to do with the powers at be than a romp across the world to stop some evil monster. There are no "good" or "bad guys, just individual men and women doing what ever they can to gain power in the world. This is my personal favorite out of the three because I think this one will have the most fluid and entertaining RP. I have a plot in mind to start out the RP, but I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

I would also like to point out for this RP, you don't have to be an lord or ruler of some kind to be a major player in the RP. I've noticed in similar RP's people stop joining once all of the ruling bodies are taken. In many ways you being something other than a ruling official is better, or you yourself can try to become one which will create a lot of RP for everyone.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Lifegiver

Re: Looking for long lasting role play

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 am

I have decided to tally the votes for which plot I am going to work on, so far we have this:

Plot 1(Post-Apocalyptic Survival RP): 1

Plot 2(Science-Fiction Space RP): 2

Plot 3(High-Fantasy Deception/Intrigue RP): 0
Last edited by Bradok187 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WaltJRimmer on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:16 pm

I like science fiction, and when I say science fiction I mean just that. Most of the ones I see are science fantasy. There was actually a story where they had a faster than light drive and other things that did similarly unexplained things and it was called, "The magic black box." Those can be fun and they leave a lot more freedom, but the challenge of trying to stick to realistic space travel is an interesting one. Of course, if there's more interest in the science fiction roleplay but the others would prefer a less realistic approach, I'm fine with that.
"And that... Is all I can tell you." - The Bard.

WaltJRimmer
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Odinson on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:21 pm

For the space faring RP I would go with FTL travel, multiple species of an intergalactic community, grittier tones, and a largely feudalistic structure of societies.

While perhaps one day FTL travel may be possible, (and I still cannot wrap my head around surviving the folding of space around you), I don't believe it would be the gateway to a very smooth intergalactic society, unless it was instantaneous traveling from planet to planet. FTL travel across the galaxy should be comparable to riding on horse back across a continent, or perhaps more aptly, sail powered ships across oceans and seas. So they can get you around, but depending on where you are going it'll take you that much longer, and because of these inherit gaps societies would develop in a more feudalistic manner, though that isn't to say all of them would.

I would also prefer a grittier tense environment in space, vessels should feel more akin to submarines with more cramped spaces and built for functionality rather than comfort as we see in the likes of Star Trek. Any ship with luxury would be more expensive to make, and because of the way the galaxy is run, these vessels are far and few between.

In this setting I would like to see aliens, or even mutants to be well integrated with humans at this point, and while in some respects their technology can be more advanced, the differences would not be dissimilar from well developed nations to still developing ones, and they would have limitations of their own, and even not inventing technology that humanity may have.

The overall idea is to have a frontiersman ready galaxy, people establishing colonies, finding new resources, and developing new technology, but not in a booming stage, instead just getting its legs into the unknown, with the majority of the galaxy unmapped as far as the intergalactic community is concerned.

Odinson
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:34 pm

All great ideas, and I couldnt agree more. I look forward to seeing you there and hope i can count on you for help, thanks.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cheater0611 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:05 am

I would be cool with any three of those. Preferably I am in the mood for something Science Fiction. As for your questions.

1: Damn that first question is the hardest... I've tried writing my answer based on all of the SciFi things I've read, seen, and played. I'm more of a fan of the long and painful space flights. I'm a Brown Coat, and Mal and the Gang really had some terrible down time between planets, and more often than not the real interesting stuff happened on the ship than on the planets. Though in order for the long and painful thing to work you would have to have the RP in a single Solar System, so space travel takes days or weeks not years.

2: I would prefer something grittier. Odinson made a good point about the spaceships and the companies that build them. They want money, and spaceships are expensive to build to begin with. So they would cut corners on the luxuries.

3: Because I prefer the long flights, I'm going to say, seeing aliens wouldn't make sense. Well... I guess that depends on what your definition of alien is. If your definition of alien is any type of life outside of Earth then yes aliens are welcome, but if it's sentient life outside of Earth; then refer to my original statement.

4: Well, if I'm running with the entire long space flight, then I might as well go with the entire shebang. I was thinking how if it is one solar system then it would make sense that there would be one government. Of course the planets themselves would have their own laws and regulations but, they would have to answer to the main planet. If I had to put into an analogy it would be like the US. A whole bunch of states with laws similar to one another, but while still having somewhat of a uniqueness to the laws.
WARNING: The preceding post contained one of the following:
A: Sarcasm
B: Humor
C: Tasteless Humor
D: Humor that might have gone over your head and you thought I was serious.
E: All of the above
F:None of the above
G: Any combination of A, B, C, and D you can think of.
I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

cheater0611
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bradok187 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:44 am

Seeing as how many are taking an interest in the Sci-FI RP I rolled a few ideas together and game up with a "pre-setting" if you will. Ill go in order of my previous questions and explain what I have.

1. With current technology traveling through the universe takes extended periods of time. Extremely long voyages require a ship outfitted will Cryo-Chambers, and a high fuel storage capacity.

2. Ships are more closely related to old tanker ships and submarines. The bridge and crew quarters are average, but for the inner workings of the ship picture an oil rig.

3. Im still not sure on this one. I want to say yes because interacting with them in RP would be interesting, but I fear it will take away from the main aspect of the RP.

4. Each planet has it's own government, but nearly all the planets belong to an alliance of sorts. Like the council from Mass Effect, except without the aliens.

Bradok187
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Odinson on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:06 pm

I would have to vote for sentient aliens, being in this one, albeit only handful or a dozen species. And if we do have aliens they should bear little resemblance to human beings besides perhaps being bipedal if that. In Star Trek they explained that an billion year old race seeded their DNA in developing planets, thus creating races with the same basic anatomy and musculature, and presumably why hybrids could be born.

This universe of course will have none of that. An alternative, or even and addition to aliens would be gene splicing. In this future, humanity, and presumably aliens would have extensive knowledge of the genomes from their native planets, so procedures to give oneself physical advantages even on a cosmetic standpoint wouldn't be uncommon. Of course such enhancements would be limited mostly to DNA from the planet they hail from, a human wouldn't nessissarily be able to give himself and alien limb because the base elements could be incompatible, but he could give himself tiger claws or a monkeys tail.

Odinson
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!