Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

I <3 Lycans

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

I <3 Lycans

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 am

Of all fantasy/supernatural creatures or beings, my favorite would have to be Lycans! I'm not a complete fanatic but I do have a admiration for them. Over the years I have heard different things about them regarding their power and abilities. And they are always changing from movies to books. But it was recently, like a few hours ago that I found out some new things. So I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this or just things that they have heard.

Here is the new info I found:

Lycan Abilities & Limitations

The ages of lycans A lycans power grows more powerful the longer they live. Some lycans have lived as long as vampires have. And it has been surmised, that at one time the lycans and vampires used to live in peace. They measure this in the following way:

Childe: Childe is a term for young lycan. A lycan is considered a childe until he or she has reached an age of at least 100 years.

Kine: The kine is a term for a lycan who has reached what most vampires might consider an adult. A Kine, is somewhere between 101 and 300 years of age.

Elder:The elders are lycan who have reached a level of respect in lycan society. They range anywhere in age from 301 to 700 years of age. This is the maximum starting age for most lycan created characters.

Advisor: The Advisors are usually the rulers of tribes and such. And tend to be very old. These lycans range anywhere in age from 701 to 1500 years of age.

Ancients: Ancients are usually the creators of the lycan tribes. Each one is usually unique with their own special powers and abilities. These lycans range from 1501 + years of age.

Methuselahs: Most methuselahs are considered myths to most lycans. Though legends may be based off reality, it seems some lycans might be anywhere from 3000 to 7000 years of age. Around the time of ancient egypt.

The Sireing or Bond

There is a certain affect that is shared between lycans that turn another into their kind. The newly created lycan develops a bond known as the sireing. It gives the newly created lycan, a certain intuition into what they are based off the memories of the Sire (the one who made them). Sometimes it allows a sire to know what the one they made is thinking or feeling, but after awhile that affect fades away as they become more powerful. But the one thing that remains the same is the bond it creates, a certain level of respect,loyalty, and love to the one that made them. This is hard to break.

Lycan Abitilies & Limitations

Shape shifting: A lycan can shift into a powerful animal-hybrid humanoid form, that resembles a wolf in some ways. In this form they can utilize many of the lycan abilities and powers. This form can only be assumed during a full moon, which is why many are bitten during one so they undergo the change. Lycans who are elders or ancients, can assume their lycan form at will.

Strength: Lycans are exceptionally strong, but not as strong as vampires are.
-Childe: can lift up to 150 lbs.
-Kine: can lift up 300 lbs with ease.
-Elders: can lift up to 600
-Advisors: can lift up to 1200 lbs.
-Ancients: can lift up 2400 lbs.

Leaping/Falling: A lycan can leap and survive great distances and falls. Lycans can perfom this at half-effectiveness in their mortal form
-Childe & Kine: can leap 10'/and survive falls of 20'.
-Adult: can leap 20'/and survive 40'.
-Elder: can leap 40'/and survive 80'.
-Advisor: can leap 80'/and survive 160'.
-Ancient: can leap 160'/and survive 320'.

Fangs: The bite of a lycan can change a mortal into another lycan. Trasnmiting the virus quickly throughout the body.

Damage Regeneration: A lycan is also immune to age, and most normal diseases like the common cold. But are not immune to poisons. A lycan can sustain great levels of damage, by regenerating wounds very quickly. The older a lycan is the more damage they can take, and shrug off. In para style play this is hard to dictate what is considered a killing blow. Let the OPS be the ones to determine that based on the age of a lycan, and the deadliness of a weapon.

-Silver Allergy: Lycans are allergic to silver, and contact with silver causes extreme burning to a lycan's skin. Weapons made of silver, bypass damage resistance all together. A lycan cannot regenerate either, as long as silver remains imbedded in their body. And if any major organs are pierced the lycan is bound to die.

Claws: A lycans claws are vicious weapons, and their primary mode of attack. They are great for rending flesh. A lycans claws also allow them to climb walls just like a vampire can, but it rends at the material.

Enhanced Senses: All lycans can see in the dark , and have enhanced senses of smell that allow them to track their prey. This allows them to detect vampires and other lycans.

Lycan Speed: Lycans are fast, very fast. The older they are the faster they become.
-Childe: can run 30 mphs.
-Kine: can run 45 mphs
-Elders: can run 60 mphs
-Advisors: can run 75 mphs
-Ancients: can run 90 mphs

The Lycan Tribes

Some lycan tribes are created by ancients who started the line along time ago. Each tribe has usually developed its own special powers and limitations.

Creed: The Creed Tribe was created by vincent creed, who was born in the year 385. Those of the Creed tribe have the power of Savage Attraction. Allowing them to draw upon the nature to sexually attract prey to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also found this website with some interesting information, but this seems more a rp, than general info:
http://infinitysrising.tripod.com/index.html
Self Proclaimed, Master Realm Weaver: need help creating a RP? PM me!

Vivid-Minds; a society of sophisticated RPers and Roleplays. Join us?

...LIVE in your world, ROLEPLAY in mine...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: I <3 Lycans

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:38 am

Uhm. lets see. I'm a huge Lycan buff, so I'll tell you what's what.

As for age, I believe a Lycanthrope would really only live as a human with a slightly extended lifetime of perhaps 30-40 years depending on their health etc. Vampires can life forever because of their strange origins, and their being a Vampire is more a magical source such as a curse, rather than a biological trait.

As for the different names for differing age groups, I've never heard of that stuff before, and it could be unique to the site you got this information from.

Siring, again, I believe this only works with Vampires as to be a werewolf would require a vastly different genetic make up which could only be changed within the womb i.e. before you're conceived.

About the bonds though, I personally believe this would be down to a primal trait, a natural belonging within packs rather than being alone. I guess this would allow them certain advantages, such as instinctively knowing certain things about their pack members from looking at them. This would be a good survival trait for animals that travel in packs, and most especially with Lycans, as it allows them to communicate non-verbally or without sound whilst on a hunt.

Shape-shifting is a thing that many Lycan fanatics can't seem to agree on. I think it depends on the origins of the Lycan curse itself.
For example, if it was passed on by supernatural or magical means, then it is plausible that a Lycan could change in a matter of minutes if under a full moon, or whatever other condition is required.
But - again this is what I believe by applying a more realistic set of rules to the biology of the Lycan - I think that a Lycan whose curse is passed on as a genetic trait through a bloodline would only be able to slowly change perhaps over the course of a week or two, and then take another week or two to change back again. This would be an extremely painful process as the entire bone and muscle structure is being reworked. It would be like growing pains turned up to 11 :)

As for the strength thing, it is commonly accepted that muscles grow in exactly the same way they do with humans. That is to say, the more the Lycan exercises and works out, etc, the stronger it will get. though I believe the Lycans themselves would have a greater capacity for strength than a human does. Also, it's possible the muscles are made bigger and stronger as part of the change by a certain amount, so the stronger the human, the stronger the Lycan form.

As for regeneration, I follow that part of the fiction to a certain extent. what I mean is, It's plausible for the Lycan to be able to regenerate superficial wounds in a matter of minutes whereas it would take maybe a week or more for damages beyond breaks to heal. Instantaneous healing is something left for Vampires, I think! :P

Silver allergy is the most common weakness of the Lycan. :) No if's and's or but's.

The enhanced senses are completely plausible as well, given the build-up of the Lycan. It resembles a wolf's or a dog's and the noses, ears and eyes, are built pretty much the same so I think they would have superior senses as do these animals in comparison to humans.

Again, with the speed I think it's a matter of exercise.

and tribes or rather packs are part of a Lycan's life. :)

So there's your info broken down for you, and btw -- Good to see you again, fly!
And on the first day Man created God in his own image.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

MoonMan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 am

I agree with a lot of that. I was mainly wondering about the different classifications and that Creed clan...

I also read that some rare lycans can shift parts of their body at a time. Meaning that they could choose to have lycan arms and the rest be all human? Or some that could communicate telepathically, which I have used in a rp before. And that some could mask their presence as a lycan?

(Good to see you again to Moon ^^)

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:02 am

I've never heard of being able to shift different parts independently of each other, but I have heard of the telepathy. I think that if it were possible with humans, even if such abilities were rare with them, then the chances would be higher of having them for Lycans. :) That's my thoughts anyways.

[ps. ever thought about re-booting Blades and Tears?]

MoonMan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:07 am

Ok, well I got most of that from a site that I linked in the first post. So I didn't that was a general idea anyway.

(>_< I thought you already had??? But you should join this rp I am going to post later)

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mogtaki on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:58 pm

It sounds as if you got all this information from American fiction which doesn't really work with the original setting for Lycans and what they were originally.

Most of what you put is from things that really don't belong. Most of that stuff is just to make people watch or read their series and to make people go "cool!" in horror films.

All that information you gathered...it doesn't relate to them at all but rather a story that someone has made up. If you were to copy that and claim it as something else, you may get accused of plagiarism.

This is what you should follow, not that which someone created for their website. This page holds the true information of the Lycan and not something that belongs in Underworld films.
~*Current Roleplays*~

Mogtaki
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 pm

Yea but a lot of that information refers to werewolfs. And most people including me, see werewolves and Lycans as 2 completely different beings or strains of the virus or races.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mogtaki on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:22 am

It's because the name werewolf came from Lycan which comes from Lycaon in Greek mythology. Werewolf is simply the american term for it while the european term tends to be around Lycan.

Either way, most of that is all fan-based. You can create your own type of Lycan if you wanted but please, DON'T follow somebody else's creation. You're very much welcomed to make up your own version which would probably be better than the stuff mentioned above; most of that stuff up above seems too cuddly to me, honestly...doesn't give them much glory over cuddly stuff.

Even I've created my own Lycans ;) It's super-fun, something you should definitely try.

Mogtaki
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Yea I enjoy making up my own stuff. But I just like to stay near the general rules of lycans. Ex: I will never give them wings LOL.

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mogtaki on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Haha! Oh god, that reminds me of this person who I worked with to create a world xD

They literally were like "WINGS!!!!" every two seconds :P

But aye, you can stay with the general rules but you can divert away like the stuff you posted does. That stuff up there greatly diverts away from the original Lycan concept, so much so that they've given them names and everything.

Seriously, make your own to the way you like it; you'll enjoy it greatly ;)

Mogtaki
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:10 pm

I believe the term you are looking for is Lycanthrope.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:32 pm

LOL

Well that is what I have done so far. I keep having strong urges to give him an adamantium skeleton >_<

Their claws just aren't strong enough to me...

But yea I use the word lycanthrope as well, I think it also refers to other animals as well. Which is another thing I have seen: Weresnakes and Wereleopards and such...

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:03 pm

The term lycanthropy, a synonym, comes from Ancient Greek lykánthropos (λυκάνθρωπος): λύκος, lýkos ("wolf") + άνθρωπος, ánthrōpos ("human").[2] A compound of which "lyc-" derives from the Proto-Indo-European root *wlkwo-, meaning "wolf", formally denotes the "wolf - man" transformation. Lycanthropy is but one form of therianthropy, the ability to metamorphose into animals in general. The term therianthrope literally means "beast-man." The word has also been linked to the original werewolf of classical mythology, Lycaon, a king of Arcadia who, according to Ovid's Metamorphoses, was turned into a ravenous wolf in retribution for attempting to serve his own son to visiting Zeus in an attempt to disprove the god's divinity.

Just a basis on the origins of the word Lycanthropy and its meaning, the general term for animal shifting is Therianthropy or versipellis.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crooked Thoughts on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Oh ok, thanks for the info. ^^

Crooked Thoughts
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Why? They just sit there and grow on rocks.

Phonetic pun lol lol lol lol!

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:57 am

Let it also be noted that Lycanthropy is also a mental disorder wherein a patient will genuinely believe they are a wolf or a werewolf and will slip in and out of states of lucidity, where they act like an animal. Literally. Licking themselves, barking, etc, etc,.

Now go see Ginger Snaps. You can't be a fan of Lycanthropes if you've never seen that movie. :D

MoonMan
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:45 am

You mean Clinical Lycanthropy? =p

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Perhaps, I just know that's commonly referred to as Lycanthropy lol. :) I have a sore bach. Back. :) :P

MoonMan
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!