Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Magefire

Magefire

a part of “Magefire”, a fictional universe by VitaminHeart.

In the Empire of Valon, magic has been brought under control. It is directed, manipulated like electricity. The people live a life of safety and privilege...but what is the cost? Where does the power come from?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Magefire”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Magefire

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Thu May 30, 2013 4:19 pm

"Magefire"

Welcome! Hope the wall of text hasn't frightened you away, I am Vit, or VH and I am going to be running this show, so if you've got questions then throw them in my direction.
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honour to meet you and you may call me Vit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Re: Magefire

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Thu May 30, 2013 5:08 pm

This roleplay looks pretty interesting and I'm incredibly tempted to forsake all other things both superfluous and necessary for the next few hours to make a character for it, but I do wish to know how magic works as well as what it, along with magefire are capable of beyond being magic electricity.

Other than that were there any restrictions on what characters we're allowed to make? Amongst the characters I have in mind a few are higher up on the hierarchy such as higher members of VEGA or foreign diplomats.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Thu May 30, 2013 5:45 pm

Sorry for the delay, just been working to finish up Maeve's character sheet.

Magic, in this universe, is an energy of sorts that is manufactured in the body of magical creatures, and those with magical ability, as a sort of bodily process. It has a certain maximum level it will naturally replenish to when depleted, if permitted to. The magical energy can be depleted concentrated into spells or abilities, or through extraction by an esoteric extractor.

In humans, magic exists in some individuals but not in others, and is passed on in families fairly often, though can appear spontaneously. It tends to manifest as a natural talent at a young age, usually with a minor ability. Some with these abilities go on to train as magic users, learning to divert the energy to different uses through study and concentration. Others will only keep their initial ability. Seers, for example, have a magical ability, but it is, for the most part, outside their own control, so they are rarely capable of becoming accomplished magic users.

Magefire serves as an electricity, but also being made from a distilled magic, it can do things that simple electricity would not be able to do. It can be used to create weapons that have a magical effect (such blades able to coat themselves in fire upon activation, armor which can forcefully repel an attacker, or cannons which can discharge enormous bolts of lightning. Some devices could effectively allow a user to cast spells as long as the batteries were charged with magefire. So alongside electricity it could be used as a sort of 'bottled magic'.

Higher-ups in the pecking order would be totally fine and great! I'm leaving things very much open as far as characters are concerned for the very reason that I'd like people to think up their own ideas.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Beta Tester Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Thu May 30, 2013 6:11 pm

That explains how magic works and what magefire's capable of, but did you have some idea about what people could actually do with actual magic?

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Thu May 30, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm guessing the extent is pretty varied in the sense of the traditional idea of magic in a fantasy setting, that is can be put to numerous uses, from the straight out flinging fire around, to potentially healing injury (to some degree, even a talented healer could not just zap people to full health, but able to seal wounds and attack pathogens and toxins) to weather control, to visions for seers, to transfiguration and illusion. It's all intentionally diverse really, so most usage would be permitted within reason.

Properly trained and diverse mages are fairly rare due to the genetic defects that littered the old mage families and the disbanding of the schools, but a number are still around. Most younger mages are more focused on their inherent abilities as many are not properly trained and are raised in the custody of the state, but I am sure some are still properly educated in the use of spells.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Hmm, okay, just wanted to make sure that any ideas I had didn't conflict with what was possible.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Thu May 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Most things should work in the setting so long as they have limitations that are reasonable. If you are concerned about anything don't hesitate to run it by me.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cirrus_sd on Thu May 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Hello!

This RP looks mad interesting....I've been reading and re-reading just about everything :D

I've got a couple characters in mind, one being a teenage street rat with a gift for mechanical tinkerings and a dream filled with flightships, and another being a young commander of said flightship (what can I say...those flightships are so intriguing!)

That being said, I'm curious about the manufacturing of the flightships? As well as how the magefire gets infused in with it? Is there only one place that can make them, or could it be possible for someone with prodigal skill in that area to put together a small, working model of one (the image that comes to mind would be Jim Hawking's surfer in Treasure Planet, which admittedly this rp reminds me a lot of)
오빤 강남 스타일~!

Mother, Father, Gentleman~!

cirrus_sd
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Thu May 30, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi! Glad you're interested.

Flightships, I believe, are manufactured at large shipyards for the most part, though I think it would be possible for a gifted amateur to build one, though it might be quite unusual it may not be impossible. The Magefire aspect is down to an engine of sorts ,I would expect very large ones, mostly under VEGA maintenance, would be fuelled by some variety of creature below deck, but a small working model might be thrown together to function on a magefire battery of sorts that could be charged from the main grid that runs in the city.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cirrus_sd on Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Sweet! I'll put in a character profile within the next 24 hours, hopefully.

Is there a limit to the characters we can have?

cirrus_sd
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Thu May 30, 2013 8:23 pm

No hard limit, so long as you can handle the amount. I'll most likely be adding in additional ones as needed myself once others are posted up.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 pm

Do you already have a name picked out for the new Empress, because having something besides "the Empress" to work into a paragraph makes it seem less awkward.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Fri May 31, 2013 10:59 pm

I have been a bit vague on stating it in case someone wished to take the role, but I'd tentatively settled on 'Empress Oriana' as her name.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:34 am

Well, I still need to finish up the personality section (as I always do) and the history section can't really be called brief, but there she is.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:30 am

Might not be my place to say this, but maybe the Raptoruses (Raptori?) could do with a bit of nerfing to make them less powerful (5 of them beating 600-2400 soldiers is a bit much) and some negative aspects for their society so it seems less obnoxiously perfect.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:05 am

I did overlook the thing about the battalions, thanks for pointing that out. Yes, power-wise the creatures could use a bit of nerfing. While some other species are considerably more physically powerful that an ordinary human (the beast races being of notoriety for this) but being able to take out 100+ soldiers per creature is excessive.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby danm36 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:38 pm

This looks like a very promising roleplay. I would be very happy to be a part of this!

I've submitted my character, and I would be very happy to change it if it wasn't in your game plan. My character, heralding from VEGA, could introduce some conflict which could prove interesting. I have also assumed that VEGA is a sort of shadowy sciencey organisation, if that is OK with you?

danm36
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Happy to have you! It all appears to line up with my previous idea. VEGA is a fairly shady organization. They're not 'evil' as such, as with the storyline I'm trying to avoid making things too much that of a good and evil side. Most members of VEGA see their work as being utterly vital to the advancement of Valon, and see their work as entirely justified, however they feel that due to the usage of living creatures in the process, that they don't want to spread this around in case they lost any popularity. As a result, they have a tendency to keep secrets and do some rather questionable actions.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cirrus_sd on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:49 pm

So I have a quick question. What exactly is the city like? I know they use magefire, and the golems are mechanical, but you also mention that they still use horses. So are most of the buildings wood, or metal, and what kind of machines do they have, if any at all, and how advanced is the technology itself?

cirrus_sd
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VitaminHeart on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Most buildings would be of wood, stone, or brick, as bricks would be manufactured. While Magefire has allowed for more advanced technology keep in mind that it has not existed for a great amount of time, so older techniques would certainly still be in usage, particularly with poorer individuals.

Think of it as something like during an industrial revolution, except with magefire as supposed to other fuels. The horse would still be the main mode of personal transport, but other means may be in development, and large craft like flightships or powered boats would be available.

Other large machinery like powered doors, bridges, elevators and such would exist, as industrial machinery for manufacture, and the magefire weaponry.

The majority of smaller technologies do not exist at this point as the technology has been focused upon Valon's infrastructure, as much of it has been created by VEGA, who work for the empire rather than for profit.

VitaminHeart
Scholar
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!