Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Making a Better Writer

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Making a Better Writer

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lego's Apex Predator on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:37 pm

I've been roleplaying for a long time since I was in my early teens I'd say. I've also picked up writing too. I'm looking for a mentor who could help me improve my roleplaying skills.

I feel like though I give my characters a different dynamic but I feel like my posts may be lacking something. It may be the description of things around them like scents, taste, and smells. I just want to improve my writing so it makes me a better person all together. I'm hoping a mentor would be able to help me with this.

~
Lego
Image Thank you to gloomysunday for the awesome new banner. It goes to a story I'm writing.

My Photobucket

Image Thanks to Myth for the awesome signature.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lego's Apex Predator
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Making a Better Writer

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XoShattereddreamzoX on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 am

Writing is really an art from the soul, not mind. Envision yourself smelling, tasting, hearing, seeing, feeling what ever it is that you are role playing.

For example; instead of saying. ~Walks through the woods~
Your could word it like this. ~As his footsteps carried him through the moss covered greenery, the sight of a bullfrog leaping from it's mellow perch upon the myrtle-colored lily pad had caught his eye. His long, prideful strides carried him in that particular direction. The smell, oh such a sweet smell of lilac and daisy's somehow wafted into his flared nostrils, calming, soothing, there was a pasture nearby he knew. The water was sparkling, glistening from the broken sunlight through the trees, and his reflection swayed to and fro. He knelt slowly to the soft soil beneath him, his knee planted into the earth, and the feeling of serenity washed over him.~

You see? If you need help, you can always ask a friend of me. I like helping with the RP experience, and if it makes our wonderful community better than ever, then I will gladly stand and help. If you wish to learn of course, send me a private message and I will try to respond as efficiently and effectively as possible.

Yours' truly,
Dreamz
"Come child, your dreams look mighty tasty"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

XoShattereddreamzoX
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Making a Better Writer

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mellowyn on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:34 pm

I've clicked on this because this might also seem helpful for myself.
I might just write my own topic soon, wherein I ask for a mentor myself.
You see, whenever I am writing, sometimes in the middle of something I get stuck, and then it takes me a long time to get to a certain word. Since my mothertongue is not English, it's harder for me to find fitting words and expressions..

Mellowyn
Member for 13 years
Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!