Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Mercenaries

a topic in Futuristic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in the future of any sort, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Re: Mercenaries

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Tue May 13, 2008 2:45 am

"You're telling me. Today I saw her waltz into a plume of smoke with tangos all around with nothing more than a pistol. She's reckless alright, and if she's not careful, she'll get herself killed. I want to help her, I really do, but I don't know if I can do anything."

Jakob turns to lean his back against the wall. He looks up at the ceiling and lets out an exasperated sigh, then looks at the old man, hopelessness in his eyes. He looked almosst on the verge of tears.
Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie. Passion rules reason. The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Tue May 13, 2008 3:13 am

"She just gets into a zone when she's on the job and doesn't pay attention," the old man said softly. "Thorn rides a thin line between life and death nowadays. She needs an awakening, Jakob. She'll die if she doesn't begin to realize that she can't continue with the mercenary life."
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our Light, not our Darkness, that most frightens us." - Marianne Williamson
ImageImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Tue May 13, 2008 3:26 am

"Well, in the bar earlier, we were talking about our next jobs. She said she'd like to do another assassination, and I told her I was going to come along. She thought I was joking, but I can tell that if she doesn't have someone there to watch her back, she'll get too involved and give someone an opening to take her out. She doesn't know when to quit, either. She won't let what to most other people is a sign to pack up and move on affect her. I just feel that all I can do for her is accompany her and protect her."

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Tue May 13, 2008 4:02 am

"It's not ust the fact that she doesn't pay attention, it's the fact that her health is not all that good with all those wounds she's sustained over the years. I can only do so much for her, but Thorn's health is failing because of her attitude and the job."

The old man looked back the way they had come and took a deep breath. "She needs to quit being a merc."

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Tue May 13, 2008 4:05 am

Jakob sighs and looks at the old man somberly, letting his eyes drift back to the door behind which they had left Thorn.

"What can I do?"

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Tue May 13, 2008 4:09 am

"Try to get her to quit," the old man said softly. "If you care for her as much as I believe you do, then you'll try to get her to quit the merc life. She won't make it if she sustains another wound, Jakob."
Pushing away from the wall, the old man shoved his hands into his pockets and started walking back. "I'll leave how you do it up to you."

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Tue May 13, 2008 4:16 am

As the old man walks away, Jakob slides to the floor, leaning heavily against the wall behind him. He runs his fingers through his hair before dropping his head into his hands, entirely oblivious to the searing pain emanating from his hand. Thoughts run circuits through his mind as he tries to figure out what to do. He knows he should try to get Thorn to quit being a merc, but at the same time, he doesn't know how to do so without her resenting him.

Let her resent you. If it means prolonging her life, then it's worth it.

Jakob shakes his head, unable to decide what to do.

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Tue May 13, 2008 4:21 am

The old man entered the building, his eyes searching for Thorn, who was nowhere to be seen right off the bat. "Rose Thorn, come here," the old man called out.
Thorn stepped from the shadows of the corner farthest away from the door. "Old man, about time you got finished with him," she smirked lightly. "What'd you tell him, old man? That I needed to quit?"
"Rose, you know you can't keep this up for much longer," the old man chided her.
"You cut it close each time, old man," she grumbled lightly and walked over to the rusted out stairwell in another corner. "You had no right to tell him about my health, old man." With that she walked up the stairs, disappearing in one of the rooms.

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby superfly98 on Tue May 13, 2008 2:06 pm

The Merchant went back to his Library and took off his armor. He slipped over a Flak Jacket and put on a Black Baseball Cap. He grabbed a bag full of Absorbine Syringes and went out to the streets again. People didn't know about his secret life of a medicine peddler. He was no longer armed with Dynax just a reguluar H12. He climbed onto his roof and free ran across the buildings roof tops. Eventually reaching the old man's building he slid down a gutter and then walked to the door. He cleared his throat to put on a slightly softer and shaken sounding voice. He went from the role as Merchant of Menace to Daniel Kusaboro. He knocked on the door three times paused and then knocked twice and then once more. He came up with this knocking pattern to let civilians know that it was him, their medicine delivery boy.
A fist full of quaters leads to disqualification but a fist full of dollars be the shit that's running the nation.

superfly98
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby asbo on Tue May 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Ash nods his head and grins
"400,000 is mine. since you don't want any"

asbo
Member for 16 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Tue May 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Hearing the knock pattern, the old man turned back to the door and opened it. "Ahh, Daniel, my boy. Come, come," he greeted him with a warm smile. "I was just about to ask one of the boys if you had stopped by. How have you been?"

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby superfly98 on Tue May 13, 2008 9:36 pm

"Pretty good... Even though that left me and my wife scared shitless.... But Hey at least we got our Baby Boy. Sorry i didn't get ya any photo's of him but here's one of em." he said and stuck out his arm. "Little Danny Jr, got a hold of my gun..." He added. He then stepped in and took off his bag. "So how much Absorbine do you need? Oh! Before i forget i got a book for Thorn." He said reaching into his bag and pulling out the Qur'an. "I just got done reading it. I figured Thorn might want to read this as well. It's pretty interesting." He said placing the book on a stand. Living a lie was the Merchant's second form of Income. It doesn't pay as well as killing but it just gives him a reason to do what he loves most. Free Running.

superfly98
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Tue May 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Thorn, once up the stairs, opened a window and sat in the window sill, looking out over the silent streets, listening to the shouts and gunfire off in the distance. She pulled a leg up to her chest and rested her chin on knee, staring out into the city. Her thoughts on what the old man probably had told Jakob and slightly wondered at what Jakob would do once he knew that about her.
Sighing softly, Thorn relaxed slightly against the window frame and just watched the buildings across the street.

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Wed May 14, 2008 12:28 am

Jakob looks up, still holding his head in his hands as he hears the knocking on the old man's door. He didn't recognize the kid who had shown up with a clinking bag, but then he didn't expect to, since it wasn't his usual area of town. Standing slowly, Jakob walks into the old man's place, nodding to the boy before simple taking a seat at the first table in the place. He slides a shaking hand into his jacket pocket and pulls out a playing card, spinning it between his thumb and index finger as her stares blankly at nothing in particular.

What are you going to do?...What can you do?...

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Wed May 14, 2008 12:37 am

"She's upstairs if you'd like to take her the book," the old man said lightly, laughing lightly. "We will need a at least five bottles of it, this time."

Thorn, upstairs, stood up and walked over to a bookshelf. Pulling the shelf down, she stalked out of the room, hearing it thud on the floor. She climbed up to the roof and sat in one of the chairs to stare at the sky.

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Wed May 14, 2008 2:39 am

After a long period of sitting and staring at nothing, the playing card flies from Jakob's hand and embeds itself in the wall, quivering with the face up. He looks up, his eyes now hardened and resolute as he steels himself for what he now knows he must do. Slamming his fists on the table, opening a couple of the stitches holding his hand closed, he pushes himself up from the table and marches to the stairs, walking up them and calming himself as he goes. By the time he reaches the room where Thorn had toppled the bookshelf, the bandages on his hands have soaked through and there is now blood dripping on the floor.

Jakob rests his good arm on the doorway and trues to think of where Thorn would go. Remembering the moment earlier where she had merely stood and enjoyed the breeze, a smile creeps its way across his face as he begins to make his way to the roof. Before opening the door, Jakob regains his stern frown and exits the building onto the rooftop.

"Beautiful night."

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Wed May 14, 2008 3:04 am

Having moved from the chair and standing on the edge of the rooftop, looking down, Thorn slowly turns around and looks at him. "Yeah it is," she says softly and her eyes linger on his hand. Jumping down from the ledge, she walked to him and took his wounded hand. "You need to get the old man to restitch this."

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Wed May 14, 2008 3:06 am

Jakob gently lifts his hand out of Thorn's, shaking his head as he lets his hand hang by his side.

"That can wait until later. Thorn, we need to talk."

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby muketsu_bara on Wed May 14, 2008 3:08 am

Thorn looked at him and then looked down. "I'm guessing the old man told you," she said softly. "You really should get that hand checked again, Jakob."

muketsu_bara
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Chronepsis on Wed May 14, 2008 3:14 am

"I will, later. Thorn, you're avoiding the issue. The old man did indeed tell me. I want to hear what you have to say, however. That is the only way I can make a decision that I can live with."

Jakob steps towards the edge of the roof, turning to half-sit on the ledge. He looked directly into Thorn's eyes as he spoke.

Chronepsis
Member for 16 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!