Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Middle-earth: the 4th Age (Interest Check)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Middle-earth: the 4th Age (Interest Check)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Chinese Fireball on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:45 pm

So here's the pitch: this would be set in Middle-earth, but in the 4th Age, after the War of the Ring. Most of the elves have already sailed to Valinor, and those who remain are living in Mirkwood and a small population in Lindon (by the way, I'm a massive LotR lore stickler, so you'd have to have read the book and the Appendices at the end). Dwarves are thriving, and have resettled Moria under the reign of Durin VII. Men live in the newly resettled realm of Arnor, and Gondor is booming. Hobbits still live in the Shire, but some have migrated to Arnor and Gondor. Not much of a plot, but I'll make it up. Not much else, other than that I need, absolutely need people familiar with Middle-earth lore.
There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris' computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo's hiding.
Outer space exists because it's afraid to be on the same planet as Chuck Norris.

What do you call a black man flying a plane?
A pilot, you racist.

Got Rice?

Twilight is the story of a girl's choice between necrophilia and bestiality.

My new RP: Life Imitating Art.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

The Chinese Fireball
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Middle-earth: the 4th Age (Interest Check)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm interested... and busy.

I also have a half-elf character, I KNOW! A horrible horrible fantasy cliche, and I know in Middle-Earth there were only 4 elf to non elf bonds, and she's more of a tortured character, because she is the result of the breaking of an old stereotype, and I use her to describe the issues of old versus new.

But again, she is still a female half elf who is beautiful and feisty, which reeks of cliche.

However, I have a plethora of other characters just as deep and ready to use, and I'm okay with a plot-less RP, even if it's just talking about ordinary life, I can do it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rebornneo on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm a great fan of the series. Read the books first, movies later, loved both.

I would be very interested to join this RP, as a human probably, or something wickedly evil if allowed. Let us know? :)

Rebornneo
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyghtfang on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:25 pm

I am definately interested. I have only reaqd The Hobbit, and The Fellowship Of The Ring, But I Will definately brush up on the lore. Its a long and boring story of why I stopped reading that invoves my dad so... Please don't ask. If anyone could suggest fast ways to brush up on the lore so I can keep up easier, that would be great.

Can I play the Nazgul that becomes the Witchking Please? I will also play a good guy character, I just have yet to figure out who and what they will be.

Oh and heres an idea born of hyperactive retardedness mixed with love of big scary monsters: Have a really evil bad guy reserect the Balrog of Morgoth. And then... Let me play the Balrog!!!X3

I'm sorry I'm so hyper. I've just been waiting for this type of RP for a long time.
ImageImage

Nyghtfang
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moniker on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Well, now that we've determined that someone who spells 'night' with a 'y' doesn't pay attention...

I'll say that I'll keep an eye on this one, sounds like your head is in the right place. I'm a sucker for dwarves, so I'd likely go for one of those. Portray it good and proper. I am busy, unfortunately, so if this comes together well enough for my liking I'll likely join. For my part, I've read the four books, and, what was it... Book of Lost Tales, maybe? Tells of the origin of Grond, and other things anyways. I'm decently versed in the literature.

Did you have a plan for the plot? Any ideas at all? A big ol' MacGuffin?
I have a right to my anger, and I don't want anybody telling me I shouldn't be, that it's not nice to be, and that something's wrong with me because I get angry.

Moniker
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Chinese Fireball on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:20 pm

Well, some vague idea about Saruman coming back and becoming a Dark Lord redux, but I'm open to ideas. Maybe Harad invades Gondor and finds a way to bring a massive Balrog back. Maybe even something from the east of Middle-earth, which isn't depicted in the books. That'd give better leeway within the canon.

The Chinese Fireball
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyghtfang on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:37 am

I HYPER, SO SUE ME!!!!!!!! I'VE BEEN EATING ABIG THING OF SOUR PATCH KIDS FOR FEW HOURS!!!!!

And as for the not paying attention thing, what am I aparently "not paying attention" to?

Nyghtfang
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Chinese Fireball on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:52 am

BTW, Nyghtfang, you can just look on Tolkien Gateway or search for an Lotr wiki for lore. And I do not know what you are not paying attention to.
PS: about the Nazgul: THEY ALL DIED! :D

The Chinese Fireball
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jager0727 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:28 am

It's an interesting idea. I did some (incredibly horrible) writing on a post LotR Middle Earth and even some stuff on southern and eastern Middle Earth (those blue wizards that never come into the tales always fascinated me) in high school just seeing what I could come up with and still have some ideas floating around. I think I have everything Tolkien ever wrote on Middle Earth (even the near-unreadable because of all the appendages stuff his son released) if I dig around a bit. I based most of what I did back then on the little information given in the LotR appendices, The Simarillion, Unfinished Tales and Lost Tales and I think that pretty much covers what Tolkien says about it.
anyway, I'll keep checking to see how it shapes up and maybe throw in a concept.

jager0727
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XSoulManX on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:28 am

i would be very interested in a rp like this. I'm always willing to play an elf or something along those lines. just need a bit of brushing up myself

XSoulManX
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moniker on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:27 am

The Chinese Fireball wrote:BTW, Nyghtfang, you can just look on Tolkien Gateway or search for an Lotr wiki for lore. And I do not know what you are not paying attention to.
PS: about the Nazgul: THEY ALL DIED! :D

That one.

I don't think bringing the Balrog back would be a good plot point, as the only one powerful enough to take it down was Gandalf (and he didn't survive the encounter) and he's left via the Grey Havens. Maybe the soldiers of Rhun, from the east? Something springing up in a more central location? Goblins or something? I don't know, just brainstorming.

Moniker
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:34 pm

I would join in, quite like the idea. I second Monikers idea about Rhun invasion as well, or heck, even Harad. It doesn't have to be a super epic, there are some pretty interesting folk doing everyday invasions out there you know.
Nothing to see here

Tempest
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:31 pm

I like the culture and uniqueness of Middle Earth enough to go with any plot, although I also have an evil character who is essentially a fallen elf...

The one thing I dislike about the entire storyline is the perfection of the elves, hence I always create anti-elven characters, even though I know the point of the elves is to show what the world would be like if humanity had something to base itself off of... Anyway, I definitely will be active with this, because I've been longing for just a good Middle Earth roleplay, with a faithfulness to the book, but synthesizing it's own voice and character, of course.

I do want to revive my characters Lellime and Hithras, though... they are some of my favorites.

The plot I've done with Hithras involves a corrupted Moriquendi (dark elf) who captured the sparkle of the silmarils (which gathered on dew drops) and it's sort of an extension of the silmarilion, and questions the idea of predestination and fate. Anyway, he serves whoever has a sparkle/sparkles, and converts a fraction of what few elves that remain, and forms his "beautiful army" He's obsessed with beauty and light, since he never saw the Two Trees.

Lellime is usually a series of problems meant to stray from the norm, and the necessity of humanity to adapt, the failure of the elves to do so...

I get very philosophical with lord of the rings, plot sort of comes second :/

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Chinese Fireball on Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm probably going to go along with Moniker's idea, although maybe an alliance between Rhun, Harad and Khand? And I might include something about the Blue Wizards in as well.

Oran Tarlin: Thanks, I'll try not to make the elves so incredibly angelic. I'm not sure if I can work your Moriquendi elf in, though..it's mainly a war story, I'm thinking...

EDIT: OOC link: http://www.roleplaygateway.com/flash-blue-middle-earth-ooc-and-signups-t29870.html

The Chinese Fireball
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby robthecid on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm

I just started a Middle-Earth 4th Age campaign using AD&D 3.5 system. In short, Gothmog is the main antagonist. I figured since he's been largely un-noticed in Tolkien myth I could mold him into whatever I needed. Now, I know what you may say....Gothmog fights Ecthelion in single combat, and they kill each other. So I figure, he's Maiar, so mere destruction of the physical form won't destroy the spirit (e.g. Gandalf). It takes something extra to kill Ainur or Maiar: Morgoth was cast into the Abyss by his brethren, and Sauron constructed his own demise, so Gothmog could return (conceivably).

The nice thing about Tolkien (and his wonderful appendices) is that he relies upon a long span of time to tell his tale. Therefore I began my campaign 1400 years into the 4th Age. I always liked the idea that Tolkien's elves experienced a seasonal evolution: the First Age saw their rise and growth (spring) while they rose to their peak during the Second Age (summer), then withered during the Third Age (autumn). Should elfkind slumber through the Fourth Age (winter) and remain dormant? I chose not to go that route but instead treated the Fourth Age as a new spring.

Additionally, I've used the two "missing" Istari. My players have finally tracked one down and is trying to persuade him into action. Additionally, Olog-hai and and Uruk-hai are the dominant "evil" races; plus the ability to remain in the sunlight allows for better role-playing ideas. I never liked the variety of AD&D monsters; I've chosen to stay within the bounds of myth and legend while maintaining a middle age feel.

So far all has progressed well. The Fourth Age is a blank palette, and I'm painting my story the way I want to see it.

-rob

robthecid
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!