Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Midnight Run

Midnight Run

a part of “Midnight Run”, a fictional universe by Bosch.

This is a cyberpunk RP set in 2112 about a group of working together to prevent a terrorist plot. That’s the starting point anyway, it’s cyberpunk so expect a of bit existential angst, jaded characters and augmentations.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Midnight Run”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Midnight Run

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:18 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "Midnight Run"

I'm going to edit this how I see fit.

Hi Welcome to the OOC for Midnight Run. It's a cyberpunk RP which is hopefully going to be good story.

Anyway here links to other topics were you ask questions about different aspects of the RP. If you question dosent fit post it here and I'll get back to you.

History

Locations

Groups

Technology

Weapons

Augmentations

Anyway hope all that decide to get involved enjoy the RP.
Last edited by Bosch on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Midnight Run

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Varyar on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:08 pm

Man, you had me at Terraformed Mars. This sounds amazing and I'd love to join this roleplay. I'd like to join the second plot, so I'm going to submit a CTU Agent. Now, what are the restrictions on characters? I mean, would it be plausible for a CTU Agent to have military-class Augmentations? If so, to what extent? Just so I can have an idea of how to make my character sheet. Looking forward to roleplay here!
Le vent se lève...! il faut tenter de vivre!
Paul Valéry

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Varyar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Sweet, a bite! I was thinking the agents would be more low key than the operatives. Their Augmentations, if they have any at all, would appear to be more in line with what civilians have. Of course that’s just for appearances their augmentations would be able to conduct surveillance and counter surveillance techniques. For example something incorporating a listening device, better vision, ability to track multiple targets and other espionage style gadgetry.

I’d say their combat abilities would reflect that they would rather have a suspect to question than a corpse. Maybe a Taser or some kind of concealed syringe full of something nasty (That would be the mother of all sucker punches) or some other type of less lethal response. Of course their job is dangerous so I’d say they would definitely have a Lethal option.

The operatives I see as like a futuristic SWAT team. When they go in they go in hard and look like they mean serious business.

Bosch
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RiPjAW 0x3 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Wow... I just love this (probably because I'm a Deus Ex fanboy) and I'd love to jump in. Getting more in-depth, are the Synths made out of synthetic materials? (Kinda stupid question I know, just wanted to make sure) Or is some or all biological?

RiPjAW 0x3
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Good question. I’m going to say the Synths are inorganic because they’re designed to be tough. However most will have the external appearance of a human. If you have another take I’d like to hear it.

Yeah the Deus Ex series was an important reference point as was cowboy bebop, William Gibson and of course Blade Runner.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RiPjAW 0x3 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:33 am

Blade Runner... Need to watch that... Anyways...

I was just wondering if I could make a character who is a hybrid, y'know? Genetically modified as an embryo, had an AI inserted in the early stages of development, made by unknown organization *cough* Illuminati! *cough* something like that.

I also probably know more about guns than what's healthy for me, so do you mind if I geek out a little on that aspect? (Like I haven't already)

RiPjAW 0x3
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:00 am

@Ripjaw. Interesting. I’ve done a bit of skulking around the internet and reckon I’ve found a better alternative to the “hard” robots I mentioned above. If you’ve seen Alien or the more recent Prometheus you’ll remember characters like Bishop or David who were actually called Synthetics. Anyway they are basically a skeleton onto which muscle is then attached. In the Alien Universe they are strong and nimble but not particularly tough or rather no tougher than a human.

In Midnight Run I reckon we stick to this basic principal i.e. a skeleton but harden our Synths
I’ve had a think about augmentations and maybe it was the coffee and maybe and dues ex talking but I’m not so sure they’re the right fit anymore. I reckon I’m going to seriously tone down their use. What works in a video game may not work so well here. With that in mind I’m going to dirastically tone down the combat Augmentations.

For example I was reading about future types of body armour that instead of being plates is a liquid that hardens on impact. Apparently it’s called a non-Newtonian fluid and is something they’re working on at the moment. It allows freedom of movement but better than Kevlar protection. Obviously in reality what they’re working on is a type of Kevlar jacket that will be coated with the stuff however we don’t have to worry about reality because we’re dealing with the future. For our purposes it could work like botox, people can literally get an injection of body armour. Synths meanwhile would surely have some of this integrated into their system. Probably a lot more than a human could take. I’m loving researching this stuff.

I don’t know about an AI being implanted directly into a person, an AI needs some kind of digital architecture to exist. Just like a human mind needs a biological brain an AI needs an electronic one.
As for the illumaniti they won’t feature in the plot of this RP. Of course that’s not to say they don’t exist in the universe.

Blade Runner is a good movie and at the time it was revolutionary when I saw it though Cyberpunk and the dystopian future was a well defined genre. It’s interesting to see how much was borrowed from that movie though in terms of style. It’s enjoyable.

The weapons are something I have trouble with, again while trawling the internet I found a website called the movie gun database or something which is pretty handy. I also remembered that in one of the Mass Effect games you had the option of changing ammo types one type for organic material the other for robots. I was thinking of basing Ammo around that, I wish I understood Hollow point and dum-dums and all that jazz but guns just aren’t my bag. If you (or anyone else) can help in this regard please do so.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Madmoiselle on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Really thinking about joining this! Just not sure what type of character I want to play ;D.

Madmoiselle
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RiPjAW 0x3 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:39 pm

@Madmoiselle Well, after we get the nitty-gritty technology part covered I'm sure it'll be easier.

@Bosch

Yeah, I was wondering about the augmentation part. Even in Deus Ex: Human Revolution they have some pretty overpowered stuff (i.e. Typhoon Explosive System, Sentinel RX system, PUNCHING THROUGH WALLS, etc.) and I'm pretty glad you cleared that up. I think I can start making my character now. He or she will probably be modified genetically to respond to augments better or something like that; I think with Synths I'm way over my head.

I'll see what I can do about them weaps', I'll post something about it in that section.

I'll also give some more suggestions in the technology part.

RiPjAW 0x3
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:23 am

@Everyone. I’ve only gone a drank too much coffee again. This time I wrote a short story based in the Midnight run Universe which you can go look at here. old-fashioned-police-work-midnight-run-story-t77735.html It’s not required reading or anything but I just wanted to try to put the tech and setting into a story.

@ Madmoiselle That’s great interest is all I’m looking for at this point while we flesh out the world. I think the main plot of this story is going to involve a lot of intersecting sub plots so having more than one character might be a good idea so you bounce between them during a lull for one character.

@ Ripjaw. Good job I like The weapons ideas and they're going on the list.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bosch on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:15 am

Ok guys the response to this has been lacklustre, it happens. I don’t think I’m going to take this any further so you can consider this RP closed. Of course if any of you wish to GM it yourselves I’d be more than happy for you to use anything I’ve come up with.

Bosch
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!