Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Multiple Voices

a topic in Realistic Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based on the real world, use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Multiple Voices

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Tue May 29, 2012 3:25 pm

( characters have been set so do not post in this thread, thank you )

Ali sat in a large chair his feet on the bed, it wasn't like his bed at home the hospital sheets were rough and smelt like they had been dipped in disinfectant and dried it till it became stiff and uncomfortable. Pausing his music he pulled out the headphones from his ears as he the nurses go through his boxes of stuff that his parents had frantically packed as soon as they had discussed with Ali what was happening of course he got upset and and angry that they literally pushed him into an ambulance to be transferred to the hospital, Ali blacked out not knowing what was happening until he woke up a few hours ago in a room that he had been assigned to. The room was plain with a single chair that sunk into itself when sat on the bed wasn't that bed and Ali didn't weigh that much so hopefully he wouldn't end up on the floor or emplaned on some rusty springs halfway through the night.

The nurses seemed to pick out items that they classed as dangerous a few razors and broken plastic cutlery, one nurse looked at him as if accusing him of knowing he put the razors in the hidden compartments in his clothes, Daniel was clever as hiding items from Ali often making hidden compartments in his shoes and clothes. Ali hated it when Daniel would do thing like that or when he would wake up with cuts all over his arms or choking on water in the bathroom.

"Don't look at me like that does it look like i knew that i hid them there!" he spoke his voice raising in anger his hands clenching and un clenching, he breathed out slowly "Sorry" he mumbled relaxing quickly. Ali could hold Karl back easily but if he broke through Ali was dangerous and unreasonable.

"Everything else is fine you can sort everything out now" The nurse said placing the razors and sharp objects into a box that would be destroyed later. "Thanks" Ali replied as he walked over to the boxes putting his clothes by the wardrobe to be put away later he pulled out the box of toys that belonged to Josh, Josh loved toy cars, action figures and comic books a typical 9 year old boy. Josh appead soon after sitting on the floor crossed legged playing with small cars, making noises as he pushed the cars around his legs. He ran the cars into each other lifting them in the air and dropping them back the the floor.
~There's only now, there's only this, forget regret, or life is yours to miss~ - RENT

~ If at first you don't succed, Destroy all evidence that you tried ~

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Multiple Voices

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Wed May 30, 2012 4:23 am

Dr Jacqueline Collyns (Psy.D) had just arrived at the hospital. As she walked through reception she saw the staff room was empty, this could mean several things. One of the patients had got a hold of something sharp, or had attacked another patient or member of staff, or the least likely of the options: they had a new patient.

New patients always made Dr Collyns sad. It upset some of the other inmates and backtracked any progress she'd made with them. She also pitied the poor soul who was so beyond help that they ended up here. Dr Collyns had only worked here for two years. She had spent eight years earning her degree after she'd left college. Now at the age of twenty-eight she was only just starting to do all the normal adult things like paying a mortgage and being taxed on everything but the air that she breathed. She was stressed, the hours were hard and she didn't get paid anywhere near as much as other Doctor's of Psychology that she had trained with. Her wage wasn't small, but it wasn't enough to live comfortably in her two-bedroom semi-detached without panicking about payments and wondering whether she'll be able to afford petrol this month.

She headed to her office with a quicker determination that usual, if no one was in the staffroom they could need her help. She dumped her bag and then took off her shoes. (Nearly all of the patients were bare-foot or in soft indoor slippers, and she felt uncomfortable tottering around in her heels, looking at their bare feet). She put her shoes in her 'outdoor' cabinet that contained her handbag also, and then locked it with the eight-digit-required padlock.

Just as she sped out of the office she saw one of the nurses. A quick observation told her it wan't the first two options. Her hair wasn't a mess, her cheeks weren't flushed and her eyes weren't bright with fear. Which meant...
"A new patient?" She paused but didn't wait for confirmation. "Come in and tell me about them."
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Wed May 30, 2012 4:42 am

Giving a soft sigh as she entered the office she didnt bother sitting down as beig anurse having your whits about you was part of the job so staying of your feet was a nessecity. Handing a small file to Jacqueline she spoke " His name is Ali Waston seventeen years old, he arrived a few hours ago sedated by medical personel, an extremly angry outburst breaking anything he could kick or punch including his own parents, as well as self harming and depression. hes awake now and seems much calmer we removed a number of items that could cause harm razors, bits of sharp plastic. All of them hidden from view in clothes or shoes. His parents cannot cope with him anymore theyve tried talking and medication but nothings worked. This is Ali's last resort. the local doctor labeled him as a multiple personality. We are not as yet clear as to how many personalities he may have if this is correct but hes sitting on the floor in room 14 playing with toys cars "

The nurse explained gesturing her hand down the corridor to room 14. She adjusted her unifrom slightly although it was bound to become even more creased at the end of the day especially if she had to wrestle a patient to the ground or stop an attempted suicide.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Wed May 30, 2012 5:08 am

Dr Collyns sighed. A multiple personality. The fact that the local Doctor had called it this alone put her in doubt. It's professional name was Dissociative Identity Disorder, then again maybe the Doctor had dumbed it down for Ali's parents. Dr Collyns ran her lectures through her head and decided on a plan. A seventeen year old boy playing with toy cars likely meant that at least one of the personalities was young. That and the kicking and punching personality made at least two, Which was of course, the bare minimum for a diagnosis. One of the two could be Ali's true personality however.
The easiest way to know how many personalities there were would be to ask. But an unfortunate effect of DID was that the patient didn't remember the other personality having control. However one of the symptoms was hearing voices. Some psychologists are certain that these voices are the other personality or personalities. Research hadn't been conclusive. She had a reel of questions ready to fire at the Nurse but realised she wouldn't know. So instead she got out a pad of paper and with a pencil wrote a common cause of DID and three symptoms she was curious to see if Ali presented.

- Abused as a child?
- Unexplainable phobias?
- Loss of subjective time?
- Psuedoseizures?

Ripping the paper off the pad she folded it up with a sharp fold across the middle and put it in Ali's disappointingly bare file. She opened the drawer to the left of her chair and put the folder at the front. mentally making a second list in her head to record all of Ali's personalities and to get as much information about his past as he was comfortable giving. She'd never had a DID patient to deal with on her own. When she'd shadowed a Doctor of Psychology years ago one of his patients had had the disorder, she added 'always ask who I'm speaking to' to the list, recalling a time when the Doctor had said good morning and the name of the patient only for the patient to become distraught at him saying the wrong name. She frowned.
"Is he settled enough to talk to me now?" She asked.

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Wed May 30, 2012 9:40 am

The nurse nodded " he seems better than he was when he was brought in, I noticed that he was a bit edgy when the other nurses were sorting through his things he claimed he didn't know that he put the razors when we found them, he did apologise after the small outburst. I think he is just very confused and upset its never nice for anyone to be taken to a place like this seperatred from normality. If you like I can have one of the orderlys attened the meeting incase anything happens?" the nurse asked her hand poised on a walkie talkie.

Some paitents that were more prone to lashing out had an orderly with them all the time even in their rooms, it wasn't the most private place a hospital like this nothing was ever private.

Josh looked through the window in his room, the wind was casually whipping the tress making the branches dance and the leaves twist and turn. He tried to open the window to let a small breeze in but it was locked and the bars on the window gave Josh the impression that he was in a prison, he want to go back to Ali's house Ali would by comics and toys for Josh as long as Josh asked nicely of course. Ali was nice and polite not like the mean shouts man in his head.

Returning to the floor he pushed the cars round again.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 am

"I'm going to go see him in his room, I don't want him getting dragged around everywhere in his first few hours here. He's not used to this environment I think we should let him stay in his room with his belongings for as long as he needs to. I'll talk to him myself about meals and recreation time, if you don't mind..."
The 'if you don't mind...' was added for politeness. But Dr Collyns knew that the Nurse would have to obey her. her hair was kept in a chin length bob to stop inmates from being able to grab hold of it with a substantial grip, but she still pushed it back to keep her look professional, she thought it made her look stern though, and so she took the clips out and fluffed it gently, letting her fringe fall across her forehead to soften her appearance. She also removed her blazer."
As for an orderly. He might be intimidated, he's got a lot to take in and I don't want him to feel threatened. You can station someone outside the door where Ali can't see him. I just want to get a feel for him and to introduce myself, I'm not going to start analysing the poor boy yet."

She left her office and went to room fourteen. Slowly walking into the room and staying by the door. She observed the child-like way he was playing with the toy cars and came a little closer. Sitting on her knees about a meter away from the cars.

"Hello, my name's Jackie. What's yours?"

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Wed May 30, 2012 10:16 am

Josh looked up as someone spoke to him, he watched carefully as she sat down on her knees. Hwy did adults do that Josh hated sitting on his knees it hurt after a while. The woman introduced herself as Jackie he spoke his voice high pitched and crackily. " Hi, I'm Josh. Ali said he'd let me come out...'cuz he's scared" he explained as he pushed the cars around.

He looked at the window and looked back at Jackie " why are there bars on the windows outside, is it to stop people getting in?" he asked tilting his head to the side.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Wed May 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Jackie had to school her features not to show a look of surprise. The boy actually gave his other personalities permission to 'come out'? It was unusual. at least as far as she knew. She immediately wondered if the voices surpassed just Ali and that his personalities could hear them too. Intrigued, and sure that the 'Josh' personality wasn't going to try and hurt her, she settled onto the floor with her legs crossed. She was about to ask if he could hear Ali when he asked her about the windows.

"I think it is a little bit, yes. But mostly it's to stop people hurting themselves with the glass. The glass is extra strong so it can't get broken but the bars are there too, just to make sure. Why? Do you not like them?

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Wed May 30, 2012 2:02 pm

Josh thought for a moment and shook his head " not really it looks like a prison...what would be the point of having windows if they have bars on?" he explained stretching his legs out and picking small bits of fluf from his cars. " are you going to help Ali get better? He's confused" josh as turning his attention to Jackie.

Josh did worry about Ali whenever he got scared or nervous about something Josh would feel compelled to come out since Josh was happy and could give Ali time to calm down and relax a little before Josh would go away.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Wed May 30, 2012 2:17 pm

"Because it's pretty outside, and it lets the light in. I think the room would be boring without a window, don't you?"
Jackie briefly considered if the reason that the 'Josh' part of Ali's personality wanted no bars on his windows was something deep. Perhaps Ali had been locked away somewhere, or maybe it was as simple as the room being too stuffy or 'Josh' liking the outdoors.
She smiles kindly at him, "I'm going to try and help Ali, yes."

She paused and let that sink in a little. "Do you know why Ali is so confused? Are you confused too?"

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Wed May 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Josh rubbed his head slightly in thought, he spoke " Ali is confused because his mummy and daddy didn't talk....about coming here...and about the voices in his head" Josh explained resting his hands on his head a confused look on his face. " he doesn't understand why they are there...I know why im there though I help Ali.." Josh trailed of a more serious look on his face he pushed one of the cars round in circles flicking it into another car.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Thu May 31, 2012 10:32 am

Jackie tensed instinctively at the violent behaviour, but quickly returned her posture to normal.
“Nobody told him about coming here? That doesn’t seem fair does it?” Jackie spoke quietly, keeping her voice warm and caring. “But I can help with the voices.” Technically the 'Josh' part of Ali's personality had done some of her job for her, this particular personality at least, was a coping mechanism.

Josh flicking one of the cars into another had changed her perspective of him. Of course it didn’t mean he’d ever be violent towards her, but it had been a stark reminder that she wasn’t talking to a little boy, but a seventeen year old boy with split-personality disorder. A boy who had, earlier that day, attacked anything and anyone around him – and who hid sharp objects in his clothing. Whether or not those objects were intended for violence towards others or to himself was insignificant. She thought carefully for a moment. “Do you want me to help? Does Ali?”

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Thu May 31, 2012 11:16 am

Josh shook his head add the first thing that Jackie asked " it wasn't fair at all...Ali came home from school a policeman was there too... I don't know what happened then the angry man came out and everything went fuzzy" Josh explained trying to think back to what happend at Ali's house his parents were saying sorry that it had come to this and they would try to visit.

Thinking about the other question he nodded " Ali would like help and I want Ali to be happy..." Josh's voice trailed off but looked at Jackie.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Thu May 31, 2012 2:24 pm

Jackie nodded. Clearly when 'everything went fuzzy' a second personality took over, the one who lashed out. It was curious that 'Josh' could remember what Ali saw but not what another personality saw because 'Josh' could hear the other personality or personalities. But she didn't know the ins and outs of different cases of DID. Only the generic symptoms of the disorder. In a way she was sort of just winging it. She thought back to her list - one of the main causes of DID was child abuse, it was like the child equivalent of traumatic stress disorder, brought on by the individuals imagination to repress or displace a memory. To not inform Ali of their decisions about his own life was irresponsible but it didn't make them the sort of people to abuse their child. It may not even be his parents. Distant family, friends of the family, teachers, a friends parent... unfortunately the possibilities were endless, and only having Ali talk to her and open up to her would allow her to help him. But if she was honest with herself, she was apprehensive about meeting him... the real him, that is.

"I want that too." She said honestly, and then gently asked "Josh...?" in response to him leaving the sentence hanging.

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Thu May 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Ali looked at to Jackie and shook his head as if shaking Josh back into his mind. " No...Ali" his voice was deeper than Josh's but soft and warm. He looked around the room trying to make sense of what he had been doing and for how long. Looking at his watch he had been away for at least 10 minutes. But who had been out, looking at his legs he saw Josh's cars he smiled lightly. " I see you've been talking to Josh, he hasn't been making a mischief of himself has he ?" he asked giving a light chuckle. He liked Josh he was the personality he didn't mind if he slipped out every now and then. It was Daniel and Karl he didn't want going out at all. Daniel was upset all the timeand Ali couldn't find out why and Karl was just a monster.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Thu May 31, 2012 3:32 pm

"No, he seems lovely." She replied honestly. Smiling warmly at the new person talking to her, the real one.

The unnerving thing was that 'Josh' had been just as real as Ali was now. She'd only ever seen that one patient with DID and their other personality had been violent and aggressive, so much so it was like watching an actor perform because everything was an insane over-reaction.
'Josh' just seemed to be the innocent, happy, part of Ali, and yet Ali seemed just as calm and friendly - not the broken boy she'd expected. But maybe that had something to do with 'Josh' and his influence on Ali. She makes a new mental note to find out how old Josh thinks he is, maybe that's will give her an idea of when the traumatic experience that cause Ali to develop DID occurred.
"Can you remember him meeting me? My names Jackie."

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Thu May 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Ali thought back trying to remember what had been happening when he was out of the room , shaking his head slightly he spoke softly " not really it's kind of like pins and needles in my head when someone's out, I'm sort of aware of what's happening but I feel so disorientated often. It's not the best feeling in the world coming to and your halfway across town" he explained as best as he could.

" but I do know that your going to try and help me Josh usually relays stuff to me if he's out for a long amount of time it just the others that worry me sometimes, there not as informative as Josh is he's a little chatterbox" he added picking up the cars and putting them back in the box he put his hands on his knees.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:36 am

"I can understand why you would feel disorientated. It's not something you should have to deal with." She told him, intrigued about the way Ali seemed almost affectionate towards 'Josh'. She didn't know of any cases that was 'pins and needles' like, but in all honesty she didn't know many cases at all. A lot of DID sufferers tended to experience blackouts where they loose time and end up in a place without any idea how arriving there.

"You know that by helping you, I would get rid of all of the different personalities, including Josh." She told him, and sort of felt like she was giving him an advanced warning. Mental Instability must make someone very lonely. Perhaps Ali liked 'Josh' being there, and the treatment wouldn't work because he would still be clinging onto 'Josh'. She hadn't heard of individuals liking their other personalities before. "How many others are there?

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightwolf on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:00 am

Ali thought as Jackie expllained how she would be helping him. By getting rid of Josh and all the other voices in his head, he felt Josh was an important part of Ali when ever Ali was unsure about something Josh would be there to help him make a decision. He wouldn't mind getting rid of Karl of Daniel but losing Josh would be a big miss for Ali.

" Aside from Josh there's two others Daniel and Karl. Karl I can hold back sometimes it's when he breaks through that everything turn into a big mess afterwards" Ali closed his eyes as Karl starting shouting abuse at Jackie calling her an ugly stuck up bitch whose leads an army of fat sweaty nurses.

nightwolf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ImmortalEcstasy on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:06 pm

"And what about Daniel?" She asked. Placing Karl as the culprit of the outburst that led to him being sedated for the journey to the hospital. She could see Ali was struggling with the idea of 'Josh' not being there and thought it would be best to move on from that part of the conversation for now. They'd have to talk about it at some point but right now she wasn't having a therapy session with him, she was just learning who he was and the sort of situation that was building around her so she could plan the right ways of conquering Ali's illness.

ImmortalEcstasy
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!