Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

NEEDING HELP

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

NEEDING HELP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pioneercadet on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:56 pm

I am relatively new to what, for my purposes, I will call "proper" role play, me being much more associated with the kind of rp that would make anyone serious cough out a lung from laughing so hard, so I need a few pointers.

Lets say i want to go into the fantasy branch of roleplay, how simple should my character be so it isnt just all the extra stuff that takes away from the mysticism of the character.

Also, how descriptive is too descriptive here? I am used to myyearbook (go ahead and laugh if you know how bad it is there), so I need some good examples of entries and conversations.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

pioneercadet
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: NEEDING HELP

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Monroe on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:29 pm

If you want, I can give you a character sheet and sample post I submitted a few days ago. Is that what you're looking for?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Monroe
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:44 pm

Well I think the best advice anyone can give you is to take a look at other writers work. You don't have to write like them. "Thou art more beautiful then a fallen star!" or whatever. It's more about taking a little bit of them and more of you to find your own personal style.

When it comes to making characters, something I love to do is make character flaws. To me it makes the characters more realistic and interesting and helps by keeping you away from mary sue characters (unless they're emo!). In fantasy I have always noticed that people tend to go for the elves or vampires and the likes. This tends to be very frustrating since there is usually a lack of variety what with everyone picking the same.

So in order to be creative, read ever single bio and aviod making similar characters. I tend to pick humans because it's rare to find people willing to play them. Why? Most consider them boring. Which is lame! I mean, look at it this way. How will a human make his/her self worth in a group of elves and mages? How will he/she overcome her weaknesses without any gifts? How will he/she handle being surrounded by magic? Will the character rely on his/her inner strength? Or will he/she fail to overcome their lack of special abilities? You've just gotta find something about that character that you connect with.

People don't realize this but every time you put something up, whether it's writing in an RP or making a character, you're giving out a piece of you. So why not make something you're completely happy with?

As for descriptive well... if you're talking about a wooden chair and it goes on for two or three pages well, that means you've overdone it. It can take at least two to four sentences, sometimes more depending on what you're describing. A good writer knows it's about what you write, not how much you write.

Also, you shouldn't feel embarassed about being a terrible writer. None of us are perfect. We've all had our fair share of "lulz!!!1! Omg u rox!1!" moments at one point or another. =p
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eventide on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:22 pm

Everyone has their own style of writing, so don't be daunted if someone is more descriptive than you are. As long as you interact with the other characters and help move the roleplay along with decent spelling and grammar (which it looks like you already have), then you should definitely be fine.

As for your character, for me it's the same as your style of writing-- create a character that you know you will enjoy playing, and if possible try to stray away from the "cookie-cutter" characters that are perfect in every way.

Basically every person is unique, so this should be reflected into your writing!

When I first started roleplaying I just looked at how other people were, and then formed my own style with those basics in mind.

Have fun. :]

Eventide
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!