Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Pangaea [Interest check]

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Pangaea [Interest check]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miyewt on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 pm

Hi all! I would like to propose a new RP that I'm working on, and as the thread's title suggests, it will be called Pangaea. The RP is based on one large continent that has crude, unreliable technology that runs on dragon ores, which is dragon bones interred for several years. Dragon bones can provide energy to fuel airplanes, guns, and even cars but since bones are hard to find, people usually fight with swords or ride carriages, etc, etc. Each country (Eurasia, North America, etc) has their own culture and RPers can make up their own towns, cities, villages to put on the map.

Also, I want you to read my beginning post, to see if it's good or not.

----------------------------------------------

His fingernails were clogged with moist dirt, and like a mole, he tried to tunnel his way out blindly. He had just awoken moments before with a rushing sense of panic stinging thoughout his body, urging him to dig upward frantically. His hands were the first to pop out of the shallow grave, pulling himself up. His lungs greeted the air, more grateful now than ever in his lifetime for that first gulp of fresh oxygen. It was seconds before the adrenaline wore off, the poor 14 year old boy dropping in exhaustion. Suddenly, he began to feel the patch of dirt beside him stir, as if someone was trying to join him from below. He helped unearth what was underneath, pulling out his younger 9 year old sister onto the surface. Perplexed as to why they'd both were buried alive in a graveyard at night, he stood up and dusted himself off, spitting out sprinkles of dirt from his mouth. All he had known was that he and his sister went to the livingroom and laid down to take a nap on the floor. If that was the case, then how did he end up here? He pondered this as he helped his sister up, now making their way back to their middle-class house. It was a full moon out and everything on the road was illuminated, the pair of them holding hands since the younger one was scared of the dark. "Brother" she forced out, sniffling from the cold, "... Wh-what's my name again?". It took a while for the elder boy to respond, giving her a hopeless answer. "I can't even recall my own name. But once we get home, I'm sure mother and father will tell us." He figured that it was strange for him to remember everything else except for his and his own sister's name. As they ambled through the street, they passed dreary looking huts and deserted houses. 2 years ago, this prosperous area had plenty to eat- but it turned into a dust bowl, the famine sweeping the town. He remembered chewing on roots to salve his hunger, even killing a stray dog with his father to make a stew out of it. Days went and rain never came, the ground never retained itself, and the villager's numbers began to dwindle. He wondered if his parents mistook him as dead. As they approached their house, his sister pointed out that they didn't cast any shadow when they were odviously being lit by pale moonlight. After seeing this, he stood there, frozen, his face blank with fear. Chinese vampires were said to arise from the grave after experiencing a tragic death. He guessed that he and his sister probably died of starvation in their sleep. Wiping a tear away from the sudden realization, he turned the opposite direction, away from their house. His sister followed him closely, wondering why they weren't going straight to their home. "We can't go back. We'll give Mother and Father bad luck if we do... We're dead now, don't you see? When you die, you lose your name..." After spurting that out, he grabbed his sister's hand and dragged her along, despite her pleas and tantrums of wanting to go back home.

Wandering aimlessly for days, they came across an elderly couple who invited them in after seeing them from a distance. "Isn't that cute, dear? They hop ceaselessly... " The old lady pointed out, her husband agreeing. They shared their dinner with the young kids, commenting that they just had rain a few days ago, with plants sprouting up all around them. "The dark clouds went north, probably going to bring rain to that other village which was suffering from the famine." The old man said, smiling. The nameless boy nodded politely and smiled back, eating food that didn't even put a dent to his unsatiable hunger. He looked over to his sister, seeing that she was confused as to why the food wasn't filling her up. He sighed and knew that food given to the undead was a waste of time...

If only he and his younger sister held out just a few more days, he thought, feeling a sinking, miserable lump sprout from his heart.

That night, he taught his sister how to suck blood from the nice elderly couple. Taking the old man's wrist, he lifted it up and bit into it gently, trying not to break any veins. "Not so much, Sis. Just a little so they can be alive afterward." They feasted on the elderly wrists for half a minute, the older brother having to stop prematurely to break off his sister from getting too greedy. "I'm so hungry..!" she exclaimed quietly, tears rolling down her cheek. He brushed her tears away and reassured her that they would kill people that deserved to be killed... She was dismayed upon hearing this, running out of the house and into the dense forest nearby. Nameless tracked her, moving through the thicket, following her voice. She screamed about how much she hated herself and for things to end already... But out of nowhere, she came onto a clearing... Her brother soon caught up to her and saw that they happened upon an eerie village immersed in fog. "The lost village.." he said under his breath, his eyes looking around slowly. He only heard about this place in faerie tales...

They say that If you run blindly into the woods at night, you might transcend through dimensions and cross over to the spirit world, or in this case, to the town of the undead.

He had a feeling that they belonged here.

--- A year later (The present) ---

After a long day's hard work of transporting building materials to the upper side of The Lost Village, 15 year old Nameless went to the pub and treated himself to some steaming, hot tea. Although he was sweating, he couldn't resist a good beverage that would ease the aches in his muscles. As he drank, he heard some loud commotion in the background, which was two guys teasing a bar maid.

"Oy, why don't you marry that one legendary warrior ev'ry one's been talkin' 'bout, yeah? He ain't no prince, but I'm sure he's rich with all that dragon loot he gets from slaying those foul, lizard beasts!"

" Yeh girlie, he's in the next, next town over! Whazzat place called.. Uhh... It's next to Domoko, which is next to here..."

" Rou Meng, stupid! You're thinking of Rou Meng!"

As they argued back and forth, the girl laughed it off, serving them their drinks. " But who'll take care of you guys, hmm? Don't you think I'm the best barmaid here?" she cooed off her luscious lips, giving them a wink that sent them melting.

Nameless was stunned... He turned to the ruffians and asked them if it were true. "'Course it's true.. " One replied, looking at the bar maid's butt as she sauntered away, "But he'll only stay there for a few days, then leave. He's been lookin' fer a good woman to settle down with but it seems like he's the picky type."

"B-but... My sister is 5 years away from being the right age to get married... She cooks, cleans, has a sweet personality, and is on her way to becoming a scholar... I bet he'll pick her out of all the others!" He proclaimed, imagining an easy life paved out for her. He hurriedly paid for his drink and ran to his friend's house, begging him to loan him his horse so that he could go try and convince the legendary warrior to marry his sister. "That old clydesdale of mine? Geez, he would be a tower compared to you" His friend said, looking him up and down. "But eh, sure. He's in a stable nearby my ricefield, just a few miles away... I'll let you borrow him if you do me a favor." He went into another room and came back with a package wrapped up in wax soaked red paper, handing it over to Nameless. "I want you to deliver this to my Uncle in Domoko, which is on your way to Rou Meng. It's not out of your way at all, isn't it?" Nameless nodded, rushing forward to wrap his arms around his friend in an appreciative embrace. "Heh heh heh, yeah yeah, go say goodbye to your sister already!" He said, patting Nameless on the back. He would really miss that short, little guy. Always taking any job he could around town... and still able to humbly return home and care for his sister.

As soon as Nameless got home, he explained that he'll be gone for a few days, keeping the truth as a surprize for when he comes back. His sister tilted her head in suspicion, but agreed to take care of their shack when he's away, as usual. He went to the private part of their shack and pulled out beautiful stationary that he was saving for a special occasion. He practiced his best caligraphy to write a referal for his sister's behalf, even though it was written backwards since the undead could only write that way. Afterward, he placed it in a red and gold envelope that he was also saving for a special moment, tucking it away in his shirt. Ready to head out, he left the town and proceeded onward, making his way out of the concentrated, misty forest.
Last edited by Miyewt on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Miyewt
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: Pangaea

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dylaer on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 pm

Looks good. You're opening post was excellent, but there's one thing I must say. I myself am not bothered, but some RPers won't want to read through that much. There's also the fact that long posts increase the risk that you'll accidentally god-mode and control another players character. Other than that, all good.
What's one or two...pieces of dust to scatter?

Aaand for some reason, my profile link works not. So here's the direct link
dylaer-characters-t12419.html

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dylaer
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Pangaea

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miyewt on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:56 pm

Actually, I made that post long coz it's the beginning and I want to explain everything for my character.. But other RP'ers don't have to do that, 1 paragraph is fine with me.

Miyewt
Member for 16 years

Re: Pangaea [Interest check]

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dylaer on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Ah, thankyou for the clarification there. I will most definitely join in later tonight.

Dylaer
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ManhattanProphet on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:20 am

I certainly will join this RP. It's going to be fun!

ManhattanProphet
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dionysus on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:08 am

I might join, reserve me a spot... I'll post a profile later... Is this a futuristic or prehistoric RPG?
DIONYSUS THE TWICE BORNE
THE HUMAN BEING WHO DIED TO BECOME THE IMMORTAL GOD
VETERAN ROLEPLAYER AND GUARDIAN OF TEXTUAL COMBAT SINCE 1998

Dionysus
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:48 am

Die Technokratie-Fraktion
(The Technocracy Group)
Macht die Massen
(Power to the Masses)

Would you be up for a Technologically inclined organization with a German theme?

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miyewt on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:04 pm

Dionysus wrote:I might join, reserve me a spot... I'll post a profile later... Is this a futuristic or prehistoric RPG?

It's not futuristic because the technology in the game is based on having Dragon bones as fuel. It's not prehistoric IE Dinosaurs and cavemen because there are airplanes and guns but they only work 60% of the time. I would say it's sort of medieval but with crude technology.

Kronos wrote:
Die Technokratie-Fraktion
(The Technocracy Group)
Macht die Massen
(Power to the Masses)

Would you be up for a Technologically inclined organization with a German theme?

That's fine, you can do a German town in Eurasia, but remember that technology is not too advanced in the era.

Miyewt
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby albel cigaro on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Seems like a good take on the classic theame of steam punk, except with a better explanation.
I have one question though. Is the lack of effecint fuel source connnected to the joined lack of a pateal split? I find it reasonable that if the humans race was joined into a single and shared common laungaue that there would be slighty less war. The lack of fear of that your enemies will best you and take over your homeland has motivated many a scientist, especiually in the field of aviation.(see the vast majority of wars for evidence and those of the past century esspecially.)

I also request a unreasonally sized goverment building ina capital city, that would make the vistors think that the goverment was over compensating for something and/or view thmesleves as superior due how it would tower over all other buildings in the area. In short there something in the vien of the tower of babbel would be keen.
DO NOT WANT ...my post to be rated.

If you feel like critiquing any post that I make please do it though PM as I find it much more informative than a simple number

albel cigaro
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miyewt on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:46 pm

albel cigaro wrote:Seems like a good take on the classic theame of steam punk, except with a better explanation.
I have one question though. Is the lack of effecint fuel source connnected to the joined lack of a pateal split? I find it reasonable that if the humans race was joined into a single and shared common laungaue that there would be slighty less war. The lack of fear of that your enemies will best you and take over your homeland has motivated many a scientist, especiually in the field of aviation.(see the vast majority of wars for evidence and those of the past century esspecially.)

I also request a unreasonally sized goverment building ina capital city, that would make the vistors think that the goverment was over compensating for something and/or view thmesleves as superior due how it would tower over all other buildings in the area. In short there something in the vien of the tower of babbel would be keen.

Actually, the lack of fuel source is caused by the dwindling population of dragons, which is down to double digits. It's true that there's less war because of English being the prime language, but other languages exist too. For example, my character, Nameless, speaks Chinese but is also able to speak English (He pronounces his L's as R's though) since everyone else knows it. But war still exists because of lack of resource squabbles, territory disputes, and cultural clashes, otherwise it's peaceful.

I like your idea about an overbearing government... I'll try to implement it.

Miyewt
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 pm

Is technology around that of World War One, or World War Two?

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dionysus on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 pm

It's not futuristic because the technology in the game is based on having Dragon bones as fuel. It's not prehistoric IE Dinosaurs and cavemen because there are airplanes and guns but they only work 60% of the time. I would say it's sort of medieval but with crude technology.

Thanks for the clarification, ^_^... Your idea sounds original, and fun... I'll join.

Lordred the Lionskin spent many years alone in the steppes of Northern Eurasia, living a nomadic life up in the quiet uninhabited mountains and plains. Lordred was well adapted to his temperate enviroment, even during the winter when it was nearly unbearable. While most cultures were beginning to mingle and settle down, Lordred's tribe continued to live and exist as they had done for centuries. These primitive hunters and gatherers stayed close to the Northern Eurasian coastlands, protected by the mountains which stretched along the ocean beaches, giving the Lion people a source of fresh water to drink. There was plenty of game in the jungle, which was slowly starting to shrink and face deforestation at the hands of the barbarians. Lordred the Lionskin was the leader of his small band of people, who were slowly going extinct due to their lack of cultural influence.

One of the last of his kind, Lordred derived his name from the lionskin tunic which he wore, fastened by a leather belt decorated with lion's teeth. Lions were a primary source of food up in the steppes, and the Lion people told many oral stories about the origins of their tribe in connection to the animals of the jungle. Lordred had never personally seen a car or an airplane before, but had heard stories from his clansmen about other strange lands inhabited by monsters who roared across the sky and rock eating demons who built the black rivers for travel. It was all very peculiar to him, and Lordred regarded such fantasies as common folklore.

Unknown to him and his tribe, Lordred's people also possessed something much greater than faerie tales and legends. Also up in those same mountains and caves where Lordred and his people lived, were giant winged reptiles who also took refuge in the steppes... Dragons... the Lion people knew all about dragons. Lordred's tribe coexisted with the giant beasts for thousands of years, and dragons themselves also had a major role in their tribal folklore. Lordred became the alpha leader of his clan after slaying a dragon once, and his long sharp spear was made of the dragon's femur bone. In other parts of Pangea, the dragons were already extinct and their bones were being used to process modern fuels, but in this small secluded area dragons still existed, though in smaller numbers than times past.

Lordred's people had no idea the dangers that awaited their small little paradise up in the mountains. They were unaware of the great importance that dragon bones played in modern culture. To these ancient and harmonious people, there was no such thing as guns and tractors. Dragons were just a normal part of their daily lives, and since the Lion people had no real use for modern technology, Lordred's clan lived in coexistence with the great lizards, only hunting them once in a while for food and tools. Lordred gathered some wood and built a small camp fire. His people would be staying in a cave tonight. In the morning they would extinguish the fire and leave, leaving nothing but a pile of burnt wood to suggest that they were ever there. The great Lion people of Northern Eurasia would soon be awakened to the presence of another world, a more dangerous world that could possibly threaten Lordred's existence.

Dionysus
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 pm

I can just imagine the Machine Guns...

Also, could I play a smog-choked city holding a massive industrial base? And with towering brick tenants and massive steel temples of industrial production?

Kronos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby albel cigaro on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:03 pm

I was trying to get to point of why the discovery of ANOTHER fuel source has failed to have be used in mainstream use. Have oil and most other fossil fules been used up or are they simply unable to power the technology? With overbearing goveremtn in mind, this kind of reminds me of the manga sand land where the goverment owned almost of the the existing water left in the world, and sold it to civillians at prices far beyond the means of the averege joe to afford.

albel cigaro
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Hmm... Instead of this being the last reaming fuel source, how about we have the governments racing for control of smaller oil reserves all around the edges of the continent and in the sea. So that they can be the first to replace their Dragon-bone fuel was something new and get the edge as the Dragon-Based economy collapses.

Kronos
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ManhattanProphet on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:21 pm

(Ooooo someone mentioned Akira Toriyama's Sandland!)

The lack of fossil feuls might also be because of the lack of technology to reach them. But dragons and possibly some large earthly animals(reptile?) still exist, which most believe to need their very bones to create the energy.

But not all people are after this, I'm sure there are places untouched by the crudely working technological areas. Places more in harmony with nature, or places cut off by disagreement of the land and creature's treatment.

ManhattanProphet
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miyewt on Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:31 pm

Dionysus wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, ^_^... Your idea sounds original, and fun... I'll join.

Lordred the Lionskin spent many years alone in the steppes of Northern Eurasia, living a nomadic life up in the quiet uninhabited mountains and plains. Lordred was well adapted to his temperate enviroment, even during the winter when it was nearly unbearable. While most cultures were beginning to mingle and settle down, Lordred's tribe continued to live and exist as they had done for centuries. These primitive hunters and gatherers stayed close to the Northern Eurasian coastlands, protected by the mountains which stretched along the ocean beaches, giving the Lion people a source of fresh water to drink. There was plenty of game in the jungle, which was slowly starting to shrink and face deforestation at the hands of the barbarians. Lordred the Lionskin was the leader of his small band of people, who were slowly going extinct due to their lack of cultural influence.

One of the last of his kind, Lordred derived his name from the lionskin tunic which he wore, fastened by a leather belt decorated with lion's teeth. Lions were a primary source of food up in the steppes, and the Lion people told many oral stories about the origins of their tribe in connection to the animals of the jungle. Lordred had never personally seen a car or an airplane before, but had heard stories from his clansmen about other strange lands inhabited by monsters who roared across the sky and rock eating demons who built the black rivers for travel. It was all very peculiar to him, and Lordred regarded such fantasies as common folklore.

Unknown to him and his tribe, Lordred's people also possessed something much greater than faerie tales and legends. Also up in those same mountains and caves where Lordred and his people lived, were giant winged reptiles who also took refuge in the steppes... Dragons... the Lion people knew all about dragons. Lordred's tribe coexisted with the giant beasts for thousands of years, and dragons themselves also had a major role in their tribal folklore. Lordred became the alpha leader of his clan after slaying a dragon once, and his long sharp spear was made of the dragon's femur bone. In other parts of Pangea, the dragons were already extinct and their bones were being used to process modern fuels, but in this small secluded area dragons still existed, though in smaller numbers than times past.

Lordred's people had no idea the dangers that awaited their small little paradise up in the mountains. They were unaware of the great importance that dragon bones played in modern culture. To these ancient and harmonious people, there was no such thing as guns and tractors. Dragons were just a normal part of their daily lives, and since the Lion people had no real use for modern technology, Lordred's clan lived in coexistence with the great lizards, only hunting them once in a while for food and tools. Lordred gathered some wood and built a small camp fire. His people would be staying in a cave tonight. In the morning they would extinguish the fire and leave, leaving nothing but a pile of burnt wood to suggest that they were ever there. The great Lion people of Northern Eurasia would soon be awakened to the presence of another world, a more dangerous world that could possibly threaten Lordred's existence.

Save this for the actual RP thread that will be posted in the Fantasy section.

Kronos wrote:I can just imagine the Machine Guns...

Also, could I play a smog-choked city holding a massive industrial base? And with towering brick tenants and massive steel temples of industrial production?

That sounds pretty awesome, I'll allow it. But don't go too overboard with technology, computers and the like aren't allowed.

albel cigaro wrote:I was trying to get to point of why the discovery of ANOTHER fuel source has failed to have be used in mainstream use. Have oil and most other fossil fules been used up or are they simply unable to power the technology? With overbearing goveremtn in mind, this kind of reminds me of the manga sand land where the goverment owned almost of the the existing water left in the world, and sold it to civillians at prices far beyond the means of the averege joe to afford.

Fossil Fuels are made from Dragon bones/ores that have been interred for a long time. Oil is still used but alone it's not enough to run machinery.

Oh- and ManhattanProphet is helping me run this RP too.

Miyewt
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ManhattanProphet on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Just don't think too far into the energy of the world and ignore the aspects of your character. Once a nice flow is started it'll be easier to see where to go with it.

With so many races and cultures, there's a vast way to control the elements of the story in different and unique ways.

ManhattanProphet
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Miyewt on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:29 pm

It's up

pangaea-ooc-and-sign-ups-t12687.html the OOC Sign up

pangaea-t12717.html The RP itself

Miyewt
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!