Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Panta's 2nd Lesson: Writing With Flow

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

Panta's 2nd Lesson: Writing With Flow

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pantalimon on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:51 pm

Yes, I know, it's been over eight months since I posted my last lesson. I've, uh, I've been procrastinating busy. :) But, finally, I've come to you with another guide: Writing With Flow! Instead of being broken in to sections, this will sort of be a lump lesson. Sorry, skimmers, but this is something that should be read through-and-through. There's a little jumble of random, tasty grammar tidbits down there at the bottom, which I suggest you look into.

In the last Lesson, I went over simple punctuation and correct spelling, so I suggest you check it out first. It's a bit more rough here, and I'm not being as nice with things. Grr.

Hey, look! It's our example sentence: The boy walked through the meadow, he was happy. He saw his friends, they were way on the other side. He ran to them, they all cheered for him when he got there!
Now, in the comments of my last Lesson, Tæfarós somebody noticed that my use of commas is incorrect, here. They are indeed in the right place, though a semicolon would fit just as well; the problem is that we need conjunctions, such as 'and, for, so' to make it read more smoothly.

Before fixing: The boy walked through the meadow, he was happy. He saw his friends, they were way on the other side. He ran to them, they all cheered for him when he got there!

After fixing: The boy walked through the meadow; he was happy. He saw his friends, but they were way on the other side. He ran to them, and they all cheered for him when he got there!

Look at that, it only required three little modifications. Now it's good to go, right? Right. If you want to sound like a fifth-grader, that is. Let's take a look at this adjective: The boy walked through the meadow; he was happy. He saw his friends, but they were way on the other side. He ran to them, and they all cheered for him when he got there!

There are plenty of other words that could work better in that sentence. 'Happy' is about as common a word as you can get when referring to positive emotions. A few of the many other choices would be 'gleeful', 'joyful', 'cheerful', or even 'jovial' if you really want to sound smart. Cheerful is the closest to what we're looking for here.

So, a bit more work: The boy walked through the meadow; he was cheerful. He saw his friends, but they were way on the other side. He ran to them, and they all cheered for him when he got there!

For now, that's all we're going to do with that sentence. It looks pretty nice, doesn't it? Let's leave it alone. Who knows, it might just pop up somewhere later. <.<'
Delicious Little Writing Tip Tidbits

On Punctuation: An ellipse, when used as a printing term, is designed to artfully omit certain words from a sentence. As a grammatical term, an ellipse is the omission of the words, and not the punctuation that does the job. For example, the sentence 'I have gone to Birmingham, but they have not gone to Birmingham,' could be reduced to 'I have gone to Birmingham, but they have not' with the use of an ellipse. In this case, the ellipse is not shown, but used in such a way that it prevents a phrase from being repeated twice in the same sentence. As a printing term, it is comprised of three dots '...' and only three. However, if you happen to come across an ellipse with four dots, the last one is not part of the ellipse--it is a period that shows the end of a thought. Typically, an ellipse is immediately followed by another word, or a whole sentence, but if it is a four '....' dot ellipse, then there should be a space between the period and the next word. Example: "I'm not sure if I should.... The fair seems dangerous at night."

On Into and In To: The difference between into and in to is a frequently asked question. The difference is simple. "I put the letter in to the mailbox," is not incorrect, but it is not correct, either. The only time you should use 'in to' instead of 'into' is when it is following a word or phrase that would imply something different than its original meaning; "I will turn the form into the board of directors for a raise," has a different meaning than "I will turn the form in to the board of directors for a raise." In the first sentence, the speaker is implying that he or she will change the form (presumably by magic) to be the board for a raise. However, in the second sentence, the speaker implies that he or she will give the form to the board of directors in a quite plausible exchange.

Thank you for reading, please rate my post and check out any other lessons I have up. ^.^
Too bad love is just a game.
But, I've had too much fun playing to quit now.
Maybe I'm addicted.
I don't think I care.
My tokens are all across the board...
And I'm winning.
>The Loveless Victor<

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

pantalimon
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!