Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Pathfinder: Anyone up for some Fantasy?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Pathfinder: Anyone up for some Fantasy?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:48 pm

Just a quick check to see who would be interested in playing a Pathfinder-based game. I would be playing various NPCs to drive the game forward, but would be willing to run a standard Player Character (or PC from this moment onward) if need be. Not necessarily the "babysitter" of the group, but more like a mentor of sorts depending on player background.

Of course, anything from any of these online supplements would be allowed, ranging from races to classes, and would be open to suggestion. I'm hoping to get a MAXIMUM of four players involved in this, provided we can get this off the ground.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Pathfinder: Anyone up for some Fantasy?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Professor on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:51 am

Yes please DO IT! RUN A PATHFINDER GAME!
*Foams at the mouth.*

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

The Professor
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 am

@The Professor: Glad to see someone has some interest. Here, have a rabies shot. *passes a syringe*

What might you wish to play?

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dae Mec on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 pm

I really like this idea. Just curious, what will you be using for dice?

As for what I want to play... Oh, that's hard. I'm willing to play anything, really. Maybe a druid or ranger?
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Dae Mec
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby El_Gringo on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Yeah, are we using actual stats and online dice?

Count me in if so. If not, count me as a maybe.

El_Gringo
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:48 pm

I would love using actual dice provided I could find a dice roller that was fairly balanced online.

I had toyed with the option of rolling stats for players, giving each of them a set to choose from and then performing rolls based upon their successes or failures.

EX: Tomas the Paladin swings at the demoness.

DM rolls. Applies modifiers. Success.

"Your blade burns through the flesh of the abyssal creature, dealing her a grievous wound."

EX 2: Ingrid the Rogue attempts to disarm the trap.

DM rolls. Applies modifiers. Failure.

"The pressure plate beneath you trembles and sinks an inch into the floor. A low rumbling can be heard as the hidden boulder careens down the ramp towards your party members."

Though of course I am open to other suggestions of course.

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby El_Gringo on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:04 am

The most easily accessible of all: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

But of course there are die rolling websites where you send the results to an e-mail. This way, results could be sent to the DM, and no one could misrepresent a roll.

El_Gringo
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Professor on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:08 am

If this does happen I'll likely play either some kind of Oracle or Alchemist ... It strongly depends on what type of story you'd be running and what kind of character would be fitting.

The Professor
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:21 am

@El_Gringo: I've used the Wizards Roller before. It works fairly well under some circumstances. If we could find one that could send the rolls to my email, that would be ideal. Otherwise I'm rolling dice on my end of the screen, haha!

@The Professor: Oh it WILL happen. I like to model my worlds around my players a bit, but in order to keep things cohesive from the start, I would likely have the group start out as members of an adventuring guild of some sort. To be fair, in all my years of DMing and trying to avoid such a cliche I have never actually used that one before. I've featured guilds for players to join, but never started a group as members.

My advice to all players would be this: play whatever you like, the world will work around you.

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dae Mec on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:56 pm

An adventuring guild sounds really fun. I've actually never played that cliche before. A guild would be great for a small group of characters.

I'm very happy that you plan on doing this!

Dae Mec
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:06 pm

@Dae Mec: And that is just what I was thinking. A small group of 4-5 characters would be more suited to be a guild or mercenary company. At least with the guild idea, party members have that obligation on their shoulders to finish a job given to them by a higher up. Not that a party WOULDN'T do what they were told, but there are always those instances where one or two players deviate from a set course of action and wind up turning in their level 1 quest at level 14.

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Professor on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:30 am

Question for you - How do you feel about people playing those new Advance Class Guide Play test classes?

The Professor
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 pm

@The Professor: I'd prefer to only use the information on the Paizo reference page I posted. When they add those things (as they eventually will) then I think they'll be allowed in my game.

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dae Mec on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:53 pm

What races are you going to allow? Would you like us to stick to basic human, gnome, elf, etc., or are you alright with anything on Paizo?

Dae Mec
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:12 pm

@Dae Mec: Anything on Paizo. So if you wanted to play Orc, or Strix, or Oread I'd be fine with it. As long as it is in the Advanced Race Guide or the Core Rulebooks I'm fine with any race.

I was wondering if perhaps we could take this time to brainstorm some character ideas as I'm really eager to get a game up and going. Seeing as we have some interest and all...

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:43 pm

I always really wanted to play a Pathfinder Chronicler.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 am

@Shanatos: Totally possible at your character's 6th level! What route might you take to get to the Chronicler? I think that prestige class aspiration would work well especially in a Guild-style game with all the knowledge that they could have the opportunity to seek.

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby El_Gringo on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:20 am

What level would you want to start at?

I've never played full Pathfinder. My group always uses a ton of house rules mixing 3.5 and Pathfinder.

El_Gringo
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deathscythe Hell on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 am

@El_Gringo: I prefer to start at level 1 for all of my games. While I understand there is a preference to play higher level games because you can do "tons of kick-ass stuff", I like to see characters get built up from level one and onward.

Remember that guttersnipe you gave a coin to in the city those many months ago? He's finally found a place among other children at the local church, devoting himself to being just as giving as the kind adventurer who gave him a meal for that day.

I revel in things like that as a DM.

Deathscythe Hell
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Deathscythe Hell wrote:@Shanatos: Totally possible at your character's 6th level! What route might you take to get to the Chronicler? I think that prestige class aspiration would work well especially in a Guild-style game with all the knowledge that they could have the opportunity to seek.

Depends. I could go for the straightforward Bard route.
I also consider going Rogue and having them take up the artistic profession later.
Maybe something different if you're okay with any of the other base classes on that site.

Deathscythe Hell wrote:@El_Gringo: I prefer to start at level 1 for all of my games. While I understand there is a preference to play higher level games because you can do "tons of kick-ass stuff", I like to see characters get built up from level one and onward.

I find that, as a GM, I tend to higher level games because of the kick ass stuff... just like players don't want to wait to get their higher power, I can't wait to send mind flayers and beholders after them.

Also tends to be why I integrate more tactical encounters where PCs can fight something above their weight class.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!