Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Pioneers - Space Travel Roleplay (Interest Check)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Pioneers - Space Travel Roleplay (Interest Check)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:43 pm

This is the first roleplay I've suggested on this site, so reviews and suggestions for changes are not just welcome, but encouraged.

In the year 2034, technology had developed so much that scientists could send satellites far off into other galaxies. One American satellite, IOXIDE (Intergalactic OXIde DEtector) discovered a planet with an atmosphere startlingly similar to Earth's; in theory, human life on it could be easily sustainable.

The news spread across the world, and a technological competition unseen since the Cold War ensued. Over the next two centuries, this "Second Space Race" led to the discovery of scores of planets that humans could potentially inhabit. And with the population bulging at 7.8 billion, mankind could really use the space.

Most importantly, the three world powers (The USA, the The French Empire*, and China) all made a collaborative effort to create the Pioneer Space Travel Program. For its first experimental run, the governments are selecting 600 promising youngsters (potential scientists, mostly, between the ages of 6 and 16) to place on twenty spaceships, all called the Pioneer (Pioneer I, Pioneer VI, Pioneer XX, etc.). These ships are large enough to accommodate 30 people for long journeys and strong enough to go into warp speed; journeys that would take 70 years on Earth time are condensed to a month.

These children spend almost all of their lives on these ships. Occasionally, they land on a new planet where they can explore and socialize with kids from the other ships. But it's not all fun and games: each person is assigned a role to carry out during their lifetime on the Pioneer.

Scientists follow older scientists, collecting specimens and learning how to test planets to see if they can sustain life - or if there is already life on them. They keep records of their findings and are required to go to "school" longer than the other kids. Most kids become scientists.

Caretakers are destined to watch over the other kids - mostly the offspring of the original Pioneers. They must know how to cook, clean, and tend to the ship. Caretakers are not allowed to have children of their own.

Navigators are trained to become pilots of the Pioneer ships once the pilots before them grow too old. They have to know how to care for the ship to ensure that it is always in good condition. Navigators are not allowed to have children.

Recorders are usually the most creative or expressive individuals on the ship. They are often assigned to take notes on the scientists' discoveries because they can see things from a different perspective. They are also required to write a daily journal of life on the ships.

Runners have to do most of the exploring on the new planets. They can often find themselves in dangerous situations, so they must know the proper use of the space suits and all the weaponry given to them. They have to go through much more physical training than the other kids.

So, in this roleplay, we could go more in-depth on other planets and create alien races if we wanted to, or we could focus on the kids and their lives on the ships. It could go either way.

Anybody interested?

(*At this point in time, France has indeed become an empire and takes up most of West Europe.)
Last edited by Lady Velvet on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Re: Pioneers - Space Travel Roleplay (Interest Check)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Oh, I should probably be more specific about one thing.

Since there are 30 kids on each ship, there are approximately:

12 Scientists

6 Caretakers

6 Navigators

4 Runners

and 2 Recorders.

Just to give you an idea of what's needed and what there shouldn't be too many of. Oh, and don't forget we can create alien races if we'd like. Also, keep in mind that there are twenty different ships; depending on location, some characters will see each other 24/7, while others will only meet up when the ships land. But there's lots of new technology in the year 2289, so they can probably communicate via computers on the ships.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Any suggestions for revision?

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:03 pm

I am totally interested in this. I'd love to be a Runner if this ever gets up and running. Great work Lady Velvet.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:07 pm

Thank you very much! If and when I see some more interest, I'll make a roleplay tab as soon as I can. For now, if you want to post a brief little character bio or something, that would be cool. And if you have any suggestions for where you might like this story to, feel free to let me know.

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Robot Devil on Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely interested in this too. Navigator or runner would both be cool.

I'll keep an eye out.

Very interesting story.

Robot Devil
Member for 14 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Great! If you want to submit a rough draft of a character or two, you can do so here. This is just for me to see who's interested for what characters and whatnot.

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cer on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:11 pm

When this is up and running, I would love to be a recorder. =) I really like this too.
[Thank you, Master!]
I am to love, honour, cherish, obey
Until my death and beyond my decay.

Cer
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Great! I think I have enough interest in this to make a roleplay tab for it now. I'll post the link here when I'm done.

By the way...does anyone really care where this plot goes? I left it open so people could decide, but I think it would be more fun if we figure out the plot along the way.

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cer on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:38 pm

If we figure it out along the way, we have more potential to add in a bunch of subplots instead of rigidly structuring it. Just a thought.

Cer
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:11 pm

I agree. =) I did add a tiny little bit of plot, though, just to give the story a little more substance.

The day has come! My roleplay has begun to take form! Check it out here!

Start submitting characters! Let's do this!

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!